Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

Struggling to get into the game, partly because he keeps getting muscled off the ball but mostly because Birmingham are playing poorly in possession.

lysglimt

Scout
Been watching the game and my initial thoughts are:

1) What is Chris Burke doing playing for Birmingham - he is way too good for this league

2) What was the referee thinking when he waved play on after Robinson tripped Beckford - it was so obvious it was impossible to miss.

3) Bolton really are too good only to have 5 points from 10 matches. They are not a great side but they are not the worst side in the division, far from it

4) Lingard - been too soft so far. But looks composed when he gets the ball at his feet

LR7

He's been a bit peripheral. Came centrally for a bit in the first half and was more involved. He makes some good runs but they don't always pick him out maybe he needs to be a bit more vocal. Hopefully he will get on the ball a bit more second half.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
How is it actually going so far? How many matches has he played in since those first two?
Looking at transfermarkt's statistics, he's played 4 matches for Birmingham in the month's loan, scoring 5 goals and has played 339 minutes.

I can't find any forums that either mention his performances (other than his debut) or that allow you to look at threads without signing up.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Pleased he is staying. He needs as many games as he can get. And he just wouldn't get that at United this season.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Pleased he is staying. He needs as many games as he can get. And he just wouldn't get that at United this season.
I hope he comes back next year, impresses on tour again and then challenges for a squad place the way Januzaj has been. If not, then maybe a premier league loan somewhere that plays good football. I think he's good enough, not that I'm suggesting he'll be a first team regular, but id like to see him over the likes of young.

I

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I think he'd fit like a glove at Swansea with the style of football they play. They have Dyer, Pozuelo, Shelvey and Hernandez competing for the wide/attacking midfield positions and I think he could easily get in the first XI there if given the chance.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
anyone got any idea about his contract? I have been sources saying it expires next summer

DevilRed

Can't see why he won't be back at the club next year. If we fail in signing a central midfielder (and assuming Anderson leaves) then him and Powell could give us some much needed youth and depth in the midfield.

jeston

Anybody watching Leeds v B'ham? Just switched on for the last 15mins..how has Jesse done?

Ekeke

I saw for about 10-15 mins before half time. Like all the forward Brum players they tried "Giggs flicks" each time the ball was played up to them with few coming off and the team unable to hold onto the ball.

LR7

I watched it and I wouldn't say he was poor individually but Birmingham were poor in general.

lysglimt

Scout
I have watched 2 Birmingham-matches this season - the goalkeeper Randolph handed the opposition the win in both matches. As for Jesse - he was no worse than everyone else - rather the opposite. He moved the ball forward quickly and set up a couple of teammates for decent finishes but there was no end-product. There were worse players on the pitch

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Got two assists today from set-pieces.

Goal! Huddersfield Town 1, Birmingham City 3. Kyle Bartley (Birmingham City) header from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Jesse Lingard with a cross following a set piece situation

Goal! Huddersfield Town 1, Birmingham City 2. Kyle Bartley (Birmingham City) header from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Jesse Lingard with a cross following a corner.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Also seems to have played his part in the first goal.

Birmingham made the brighter start thanks to ex-Huddersfield striker Lee Novak, who played in a wide role for the visitors.
He forced home keeper Alex Smithies into a good save early on. Lingard won a 50-50 in the centre circle and Nikola Zigic put Novak through.
Novak then helped put Birmingham in front with a shot from a tight angle on 11 minutes which keeper Alex Smithies did well to parry.
Zigic, who stands at 6ft 7ins, showed good athleticism to slide in at the far post and hook the rebound over the line from close range.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Brilliant cameo tonight. Set up England's 3rd with a wonderful bit of play and basically out-Ravel'd Ravel in the 10 minutes he got as Morrison's replacement.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He might make it as a backup player. His problem will be that we have better players than him that are already battling it out for game time in his positions.
Who is to say he won't be better than them ? He damn near out performed everyone on two consecutive tours.

datura

Brilliant cameo tonight. Set up England's 3rd with a wonderful bit of play and basically out-Ravel'd Ravel in the 10 minutes he got as Morrison's replacement.

The last u21s game i saw Ravel was trying too hard to make an impression and could see why Zaha et al may have got frustrated with him. Lingard is much more of a team player with great decision making so might have a chance. He seems to up his game with better players too.

Brightonian

Really hope he gets his chance next year to replace Young, he can't be worse than him.
Look at Gnabry at Arsenal. He's nothing special really, certainly no better a player than Jesse, and he's had game time for the league leaders and done well.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Who is to say he won't be better than them ? He damn near out performed everyone on two consecutive tours.
He scored some good goals on tour but I thought Januzaj was star man. The likes of Morrison and Januzaj have generally out performed Lingard with the u21s and I just think they're more talented. In my opinion Januzaj could be one of the worlds best players. I couldn't say that about Lingard, though he could be a good player here.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lingard was better than Januzaj on the tour just gone and was very good in SA both through the middle and on the left. I reckon he has a fair good chance of making a go of it here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Look at Gnabry at Arsenal. He's nothing special really, certainly no better a player than Jesse, and he's had game time for the league leaders and done well.
Gnabry looks special enough to me. Well, very good anyway, and I'm sure we'd be well chuffed if he was performing for us at his age.

Jesse is technically sound though, and quite positive in his play. He may eventually threaten Clevz spot in our squad I think.

Swaters16

I've not seen enough of him to judge, but seems more powerful and quicker then Lingard. Looks a good prospect and highly rated for a while at Arsenal.

I wouldn't take rated by Arsenal with any more than a pinch of salt. They've supposedly had the best youngsters in the whole world coming through the ranks for what, 30 years?
Regardless he seems like he could be a good player.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Gnabry looks special enough to me. Well, very good anyway, and I'm sure we'd be well chuffed if he was performing for us at his age.

Jesse is technically sound though, and quite positive in his play. He may eventually threaten Clevz spot in our squad I think.
Or Young's

Or Giggs'

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I wouldn't take rated by Arsenal with any more than a pinch of salt. They've supposedly had the best youngsters in the whole world coming through the ranks for what, 30 years?
Regardless he seems like he could be a good player.

:lol:

True.

Status
Not open for further replies.