Jesse Marsch | Sacked by Leeds

Ted Lasso

About time he gets his own thread. Having lost Phillips and Raphina and just barely escaping relegation I expected Leeds to struggle. But Marsch has done quite well so far. Just three games in but two wins against Chelsea and Wolves are definitely noteworthy.

Plays a lot more pragmatically than Biesla. What do we think? Will he last a season or more?

Manager for the USMNT some day?

dinostar77

There was a special on him in the Sunday Times today, unfortuntely i didnt get to read it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Shame that Bielsa left as those were easy points for us. Leeds played really well today.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
they play at such a high intensity it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up over the full season.

Foxbatt

How did James do? Is he a better player at Leeds than when he was at United?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ted Lasso :lol: starting this thread. Only on the Cafe.

I like him. His points per games ratio was solid coming in last season to keep them up and they've started this season brilliantly. Some top signings from Bundesliga like Tyler Adams so Phillips and Raphinha haven't been missed yet.

Interested why it didn't work out for him at Leipzig but you get that with young managers sometimes, dosen't mean they should be eternally written off and Leeds looks a good fit for him.

Wonder if USA will look at getting him in for 2026 world cup?

avgp_1

Aaranson and co continued their brilliant performances from opening day. Elland Road is going to be a tough place to get points at this season

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

I like him. His points per games ratio was solid coming in last season to keep them up and they've started this season brilliantly. Some top signings from Bundesliga like Tyler Adams so Phillips and Raphinha haven't been missed yet.

Interested why it didn't work out for him at Leipzig but you get that with young managers sometimes, dosen't mean they should be eternally written off and Leeds looks a good fit for him.

That is the dream of almost every American fan. The current team is absolutely perfect for his system and every member of the current best XI will be in their prime in 26.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It was an even match until the goalie howler. The match was given to them. Having said that, they were indeed a match for Chelse but I still think they lack enough quality players and squad depth, and may struggle to stay up

ti vu

How did James do? Is he a better player at Leeds than when he was at United?
He suits their team to the ground.
Only watched this game, not other 2. My impression is that his energy works with their pressing game, but he's just cog of the machine. Not great. Still plenty of random decision making, and limited technical on ball.

Ted Lasso

they play at such a high intensity it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up over the full season.
Hard to tell. They started last season off with similar intensity and maybe that's part of the faltering late into the season. The World Cup is going to be an interesting impact on the league as a whole. For a club like Leeds it might just be beneficial

Red-17

That is the dream of almost every American fan. The current team is absolutely perfect for his system and every member of the current best XI will be in their prime in 26.
Not going to be easy to get him to go into international football if he continues having success especially in the premier league. That being said, the fact that it is a home world cup could make the difference. In reality though, he would have to be in charge at least two years in advance for there to be a solid system in place by the time of the world cup.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Ugh, why would you want to coach the US national team?

Leeds seems like a better job, I surely look at your average EPL manager as above what the US can produce. Plus he can hope to get a bigger job off Leeds. Harder I would think to get a top job off National team success.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ugh, why would you want to coach the US national team?

Leeds seems like a better job, I surely look at your average EPL manager as above what the US can produce. Plus he can hope to get a bigger job off Leeds. Harder I would think to get a top job off National team success.
For sure, but the chance, as an ex-player, to manage the national team on home soil is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

ti vu

From what I heard, the Leipzig he inherited from Nagelsmann is too different for his methods, and they lost a number of important players making the transition even more difficult.

Nagelsmann has more focus with building from the back, while Marsch is pure gengen pressing merchant. Rather kicking long then contesting that ball farther away from goal by gengen pressing, than passing around provoking space.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
For sure, but the chance, as an ex-player, to manage the national team on home soil is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I’d be very interested to know his real opinion, which I can’t expect him to actually give out.

I expect a team like Newcastle or Spurs would be his target, if everything goes to plan and he’s got the talent. It has to be tempting to get to coach players of that quality (assuming Newcastle try to build a top team).

Beans

Supports
Neutral
From what I heard, the Leipzig he inherited from Nagelsmann is too different for his methods, and they lost a number of important players making the transition even more difficult.

Nagelsmann has more focus with building from the back, while Marsch is pure gengen pressing merchant. Rather kicking long then contesting that ball farther away from goal by gengen pressing.
So just like Rangnick.

Dannn411

Add Leeds to the list of teams with better midfields than us. Adams and Roca absolutely dominated Chelsea from start to finish.

Melvin Udall

Add Leeds to the list of teams with better midfields than us. Adams and Roca absolutely dominated Chelsea from start to finish.
American here. I really would’ve loved to see us sign Adams and Aaronson this summer. Both are young, pretty cheap, and very hard workers. Adams is nowhere near the player Casemiro is, but he’s about 7 years younger and cost about 1/3 as much. United could’ve signed 5-6 players like those two for about the same as Martinez and Casemiro cost.

Mwooyo

Watched the game and to be honest...leeds are not really exceptional. Chelsea keeper gifted them a goal plus the red card really damaged them. For sure he knows how to use data to setup a team to be defensive and work hard but they are just another counter attacking team....basically how ole got manutd to second. I think leeds will struggle against other teams close to them in the table becoz the wont get that much space in behind.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Watched the game and to be honest...leeds are not really exceptional. Chelsea keeper gifted them a goal plus the red card really damaged them. For sure he knows how to use data to setup a team to be defensive and work hard but they are just another counter attacking team....basically how ole got manutd to second. I think leeds will struggle against other teams close to them in the table becoz the wont get that much space in behind.
The red card happened after 84 minutes.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Leipzig was not his responsibility, they lost a lot of team identity for selling too much players in the last two seasons. The team could never replace the ability of Werner playing between the lines and that transformed them into a more predictable team.

Acole9

Outstanding
Jesus does this guy ever stop moaning. Pretty much after every match he's whinging about something or arguing with other managers. Giving Klopp a run for his money.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Jesus does this guy ever stop moaning. Pretty much after every match he's whinging about something or arguing with other managers. Giving Klopp a run for his money.
Didn't see what he's said, but if it's that both yellows for Sinisterra were soft as shite and killed the game dead as a spectacle, he'd be right.

BorisManUtd

I was actually glad that new managerial bounce hit someone else for a change with Everton beating Arsenal on Saturday, but now Leeds sack Marsch before playing us twice..

Feels that way. Aston Villa springs to mind, any others?
Also Lopetegui at Wolves.