Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very under appreciated striker of the PL era. Tbh, even beyond the PL - he was also very prolific in La Liga with Atletico.

Anyway, he scored a lot of goals at both Leeds and Chelsea, and was regularly in and around the league’s top scorers. Some very good goals too. Bit odd that he never gets much of a mention at all in conversation. So here I am, mentioning him. We appreciate you Jimmy Floyd.

United58

Pretty prolific wherever he went. Surprisingly few international caps - obviously he had a lot of competition at the time. Always feel sorry for those type of 'Born in the right era' players - Steve Bruce and Andrew Cole spring to mind for us/England

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pretty prolific wherever he went. Surprisingly few international caps - obviously he had a lot of competition at the time. Always feel sorry for those type of 'Born in the right era' players - Steve Bruce and Andrew Cole spring to mind for us/England
Yea, he was in the RvN era for Holland.

FujiVice

Probably the worst timing of a footballer, though. Played for Leeds before they came a short term force in the Champions League. Played for Holland when there were spoilt for choice in his position. Signed for Chelsea before the money came in. Even signed for Middlesboro the season after they won something for the only time in their history. An extremely talented player who ended his career with a Charity Sheild to show for it. Deserved more.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Loved his days in Portugal, especially at Boavista he was a machine. One of my favourite players in the portuguese league as little kid.

Just checked his stats and he had a 35 goal season at Atlético.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I still wonder what would have happened if we kept him for 1 last season instead of signing Kezman.

If only THAT chance at Anfield fell to him.

Josh 76

There were too many great strikers around at the time for him to stand out.
If he was playing today, 80m striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably the worst timing of a footballer, though. Played for Leeds before they came a short term force in the Champions League. Played for Holland when there were spoilt for choice in his position. Signed for Chelsea before the money came in. Even signed for Middlesboro the season after they won something for the only time in their history. An extremely talented player who ended his career with a Charity Sheild to show for it. Deserved more.
His Chelsea still managed to beat us 0-5 at Old Trafford! :(

FujiVice

His Chelsea still managed to beat us 0-5 at Old Trafford! :(
It was at Stamford Bridge, and I think even Chelsea fans admit we were playing with a ventriloquist dummy in goal that day. I'm surprised they didn't score more.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It was at Stamford Bridge, and I think even Chelsea fans admit we were playing with a ventriloquist dummy in goal that day. I'm surprised they didn't score more.
Tbh, had the game confused with the 3-3. The game where Jimmy scores that great goal against us. Always thought that was in the 0-5.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was unlucky to get few caps for Holland, did he ever play in international tournament for them? Also remember Van Gaal bringing him on when losing in Dublin and playing him right wing. Roy Makaay also struggled to get caps despite brilliant scoring records in Spain and for Bayern Munich.

Could be wrong but pretty sure Pierre Van Hoojidonk got many chances for Holland although he never hit the heights at club level bar a good season or two at Feyenoord.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
The hardest I’ve ever seen anyone kick a ball was Jimmy against you lot at Old Trafford, an utter missile into the top corner. He was a great player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welbeckham

Holland had too many good strikers back then. Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Hasselbaink, Makaay and Van Hooijdonk at the same time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He couldn't half smash a ball... had a great one-step penalty technique as well.

Always grateful for that goal vs. Arsenal for Leeds too.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Had a great partnership with gudjohnson for a bit.

Probably the closest thing to shearer the league has had since shearer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Couldn't get a game in our national team. And now are main striker is Memphis and even Luuk de Jong gets game time. Oh glorious past where art thou.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Holland had too many good strikers back then. Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Hasselbaink, Makaay and Van Hooijdonk at the same time.
Bergkamp aswell, main man at World cup 98 (that goal v Argentina...) and also was still in at Euro 2000.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Similar to what Utd had in that era: Cole and Yorke. Probably why SAF never signed him.

A lot of Barça fans will also tell you that they were jealous of Atlético having Hasselbaink (even if his goals couldn't avoid relegation, in a mad season) while they struggled with the glorified SS Kluivert.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh, had the game confused with the 3-3. The game where Jimmy scores that great goal against us. Always thought that was in the 0-5.
It was his Chelsea debut too, if my memory hasn't failed me.

Sarcastico

Thought he was a bit underrated during his time as well. Scored some fantastic goals!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He scored an outrageous header vs Everton in '03 or '04, something compared to RVP's flying stuff.
It was a ridiculous header, one of the best I’ve seen, to the point where I’m still unsure if it was a fluke or not.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He was quality tbh. Miles better than a Morata for example.

youmeletsfly

It was a ridiculous header, one of the best I’ve seen, to the point where I’m still unsure if it was a fluke or not.
I watched it a lot of times and it seems he intended to do that, at least he moved his head towards the ball in a very strange way.
I remember seeing it live, jesus, you couldn't understand how it happened.

Dutchjerry

Campomaiorense, Boavista, Premier League, strange journey
Campomaiorense picked him up as an amateur in the Netherlands. It was also here where he got the name Jimmy Floyd (his actual name is Jerrel), when the president of Campo said it in an interview. He never played a game in De Eredivisie.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Such an under rated and quality player, wish we had him in this team now!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Spooky timing of a thread for me, I walked past him last week at Heathrow, which made me go down a YouTube rabbit hole of his goals. Great player.

Art Vandelay

Good player with an absolute thunderbolt of a shot. He scored one of the best freekicks I've ever seen.

I may be misremembering, but did he have a reputation as a bit of an angry arsehole?

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
In the 2003/04 season and we were winning 2-1 away at Chelsea then Hasselbaink came off the bench and scored a hat trick, 5-2

great player though I saw him later that year on the beach in Albufeira.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His partnership with Eidur Gudjohnsen was great. Back in the day when striker duos were a thing.
Gudjohnson was such an underrated player in that time. First noticed him at Bolton, could score but could also link up brilliantly. Think people only took him seriously as top level player when he actually went to Barca. Think they played him in midfield some of the time.