João Palhinha

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s an absolute beast defensively. With the way we have played this season I think he’d be a great addition in helping to solidify the team. I reckon he’s a decent foil for all our other options too.

antonyrightfoot

He’s an absolute beast defensively. With the way we have played this season I think he’d be a great addition in helping to solidify the team. I reckon he’s a decent foil for all our other options too.
I agree. In January if we sign him or Bruno G+ Watkins or Toney our team will be very strong. Just depressing how much wasted on Mount and Rasmus

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
How Fulham got him for £20m is outrageous.

Redstain

What type of player is he… pros and cons?

How would he fit with Mainoo (or would he share mins)?
From what I've seen he's very composed on the ball, shields the defence and acts as a single pivot. This was the role he played against United last season in the Europa. I think he would work with Mainoo having the capacity to move further forward as an 8. Drastically underrated player.

Oranges038

What type of player is he… pros and cons?

How would he fit with Mainoo (or would he share mins)?
He's pretty much in the ball playing mould of Busquests but he's not really an out and out defensive midfielder. Very good on the ball, good passing range and techniqueetc, he also seems to be very adept at evading pressure, in Busquests/Scholes fashion, can hold people off and just has that awareness to know where the space is. He does look like a quality player.

Not sure how he'd pair with Mainoo on the pitch, because not really an out and out 6. Personally I think he needs a physical/athletic ball winner beside him to really let him shine on the ball. Mainoo isn't really that.

But him, Mainoo and Onana from Everton. That might be an effective 3.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree. In January if we sign him or Bruno G+ Watkins or Toney our team will be very strong. Just depressing how much wasted on Mount and Rasmus
Bruno is a pipe dream, no chance Newcastle let him go. Would love us to go for Toney in Jan, he’s the perfect foil for Hojland who will come good in time. Don’t really disagree on Mount though, he wasn’t what we needed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Mount is going to be a massive upgrade on McT for pressing and quality of passing. The team is literally crying out for the good fully fit Mount to slot in. I knew he’s not been good enough but I can see him stepping up for us. Hopefully that will help Rasmus too. We are void of creativity and final ball. We need to turn teams around more

United888

He's a very good player but he's 28 right now and if we are signing him next summer then we are signing 29 years old. I don't think it's a good idea to add another 29 years old or replacing Casemiro with 29 years old. If we want to sign him, we should have sign him for last season. He will cost lot of money as well since he just signed a new contract last summer. I think the ship has sailed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What is funny? Toney/watkins not an upgrade on Rasmus? Bruno G or Palhinha will not transform our midfield?
Have you ever heard of ffp ? Have you ever heard about players moving from rivals to rivals in January? Kane would also improve us massively and so is Saka or Foden.

This isn't fm mate.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's pretty much in the ball playing mould of Busquests but he's not really an out and out defensive midfielder. Very good on the ball, good passing range and techniqueetc, he also seems to be very adept at evading pressure, in Busquests/Scholes fashion, can hold people off and just has that awareness to know where the space is. He does look like a quality player.

Not sure how he'd pair with Mainoo on the pitch, because not really an out and out 6. Personally I think he needs a physical/athletic ball winner beside him to really let him shine on the ball. Mainoo isn't really that.

Seems like the player we need but will actively avoid.

antonyrightfoot

Have you ever heard of ffp ? Have you ever heard about players moving from rivals to rivals in January? Kane would also improve us massively and so is Saka or Foden.

This isn't fm mate.
Oh ok fair enough, I thought you implied those players aren’t good enough for us. Regarding ffp there is a solution- we need to sell Rashford, since he is from the academy it will give us 200-250m to spend.

NZT-One

Seems like the player we need but will actively avoid.
Not sure with the description of the player you just got, how you think that this is the player United currently needs. I mean, granted, it is always good to have good players in the team but Zubimendi isn't really underrated, he will most likely move for relatively big money when he moves. We have Mainoo with the same characteristics as Zubimendi (when the description of him is correct). i am not a fan of loading pressure and expectations on such a young player but he seems to hit the ground running so there is no need to spend big on a player when our hottest prospect plays the same way. Especially as we know that basically all other midfield "positions" are crying out for upgrades*. (maybe the 10 position isn't crying out too loud with Mount added and Bruno still delivering)

Oh ok fair enough, I thought you implied those players aren’t good enough for us. Regarding ffp there is a solution- we need to sell Rashford, since he is from the academy it will give us 200-250m to spend.
Not the biggest fan of Rashford but if we let him go we have to add another wide player as well. And the other poster didn't just mention FFP, he also mentioned rivals aren't going to sell to us. What advantage would it be for Newcastle to give away a very good midfielder to a rival? They don't need the money at all. I'd argue it wouldn't even make sense for the player. If we are talking about a card game, your suggestions are fine but when talking about realistic steps, I think you are way off. As if Bruno or Watkins are now waiting for us to make a move. Both have a better shot of getting something out of this season than United has.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No one will go near Rashford given his new contract and current form. Unless he fancied a stint in Saudi which I very much doubt.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

He'd be a god send for Mainoo. The result would. The pair of them would with their postional sense and vision be similar to what scholes and carrick did in their first season together.

Last edited:

antonyrightfoot

Not sure with the description of the player you just got, how you think that this is the player United currently needs. I mean, granted, it is always good to have good players in the team but Zubimendi isn't really underrated, he will most likely move for relatively big money when he moves. We have Mainoo with the same characteristics as Zubimendi (when the description of him is correct). i am not a fan of loading pressure and expectations on such a young player but he seems to hit the ground running so there is no need to spend big on a player when our hottest prospect plays the same way. Especially as we know that basically all other midfield "positions" are crying out for upgrades*. (maybe the 10 position isn't crying out too loud with Mount added and Bruno still delivering)

Not the biggest fan of Rashford but if we let him go we have to add another wide player as well. And the other poster didn't just mention FFP, he also mentioned rivals aren't going to sell to us. What advantage would it be for Newcastle to give away a very good midfielder to a rival? They don't need the money at all. I'd argue it wouldn't even make sense for the player. If we are talking about a card game, your suggestions are fine but when talking about realistic steps, I think you are way off. As if Bruno or Watkins are now waiting for us to make a move. Both have a better shot of getting something out of this season than United has.
I completely disagree. Newcastle must sell, they don’t have revenue, their most expensive asset was ASM who sold for 25-30m. He has a release clause as well (100m). As for Watkins- do you believe he will reject us? We are by far a bigger team with more potential than Villa and his wages here will be probably double than what he earns.I know hindsight and all, but how many of our fans were happy with Hujlund and Mount signings? Not many, we probably have the worst scouts on earth and I am not sarcastic

NZT-One

He'd be a god send for Mainoo. The result would. The pair of them would with their postional sense and vision similar to what schoes and carrick did in their first season together.
Not sure we should go back to Scholes and Carrick as a blueprint to be honest. This is almost 15 years ago, football has changed and the pair of them worked as well as they did because they had Rio-Vida-VDS behind them. I think, we are going longball too often right now, if this is what you mean with Carrick clone then I'd pass. This is where I see Mainoo. Next to him you need an energy ball. Somebody who covers space and wins his battles.

I completely disagree. Newcastle must sell, they don’t have revenue, their most expensive asset was ASM who sold for 25-30m. He has a release clause as well (100m). As for Watkins- do you believe he will reject us? We are by far a bigger team with more potential than Villa and his wages here will be probably double than what he earns.I know hindsight and all, but how many of our fans were happy with Hujlund and Mount signings? Not many, we probably have the worst scouts on earth and I am not sarcastic
Lets not go into the scouting stuff, I just want to remind you, that the majority on here wasn't overly skeptic at the beginning of the season. Everybody was aware of Hojlund being a longterm thing and Mount was considered a good football who, in the right system, might flourish. Most people expected us to have such a system. The fact we don't is hurting many players, the two you mentioned as well.
Watkins was never more than a decent striker. He is what last year Mitrovic has been or Toney. Not that such a player is bad, by all means, but lets not act as if that would be great scouting when you are going for the latest hype.

I don't know about Newcastle having to sell anybody, I actually doubt that but haven't researched the matter. I am sure though, they are not going to sell one of their best players. And certainly not to a direct rival.

Not sure we should go back to Scholes and Carrick as a blueprint to be honest. This is almost 15 years ago, football has changed and the pair of them worked as well as they did because they had Rio-Vida-VDS behind them. I think, we are going longball too often right now, if this is what you mean with Carrick clone then I'd pass. This is where I see Mainoo. Next to him you need an energy ball. Somebody who covers space and wins his battles.
What a Mainoo needs is a partner with positional sense, touch and Vision. Who can move quicker than Carrick did. Not power. Mainoo already has it in spades like a Kante did and will only get stronger.

NZT-One

What a Mainoo needs is a partner with positional sense, touch and Vision. Who can move quicker than Carrick did. Not power. Mainoo already has it in spades like a Kante did and will only get stronger.
Maybe you know the player better then. I certainly haven't seen that. I see Mainoo as this Carrick figure. Just with better dribbling and a better press-resistence skillset. I don't see the power, I don't see the workrate, I don't see the strength. And that is not me ripping into an 18yo. I am not saying he is shit in those aspects but I'd like to see somebody who is exceptional in those aspects. Mainoo is decent to good (right now) which again, isnt an issue for me as he has other qualities.

FortunaUtd

We have money for two loan signings in winter so good luck buying Guimaraes and Watkins

Maybe you know the player better then. I certainly haven't seen that. I see Mainoo as this Carrick figure. Just with better dribbling and a better press-resistence skillset. I don't see the power, I don't see the workrate, I don't see the strength. And that is not me ripping into an 18yo. I am not saying he is shit in those aspects but I'd like to see somebody who is exceptional in those aspects. Mainoo is decent to good (right now) which again, isnt an issue for me as he has other qualities.
In under age group Ive seen him physically bully bigger guys than him and have real bit in his ball winning tackles. Physically he is quicker and more robust than Carrick ever was as a youngin and later. To me this kid is more of a "love child" of Carrick and N'golo Kante. As he matures he will be a rhino on pitch, with a silky touch. Right now due to the role we've asked him to play he has been understated and has been hiding a lot of what he is about. Honestly I believe he will be able to unleash his whole repertoire once Casemiro is fit. I believe that's when you will see the only thing he has in common with Carrick is vision, positioning and on ball play

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Where do you think Willy, Mainoo, Garnacho etc came from, Father Christmas?

antonyrightfoot

Where do you think Willy, Mainoo, Garnacho etc came from, Father Christmas?
Im sorry, Mainoo so far had 1 good game (against Everton). Garnacho is very inconsistent, Janujaj in his age was by far more promising and Willy we don’t really saw enough of him (he was good yesterday). Arsenal bought their captain for peanuts, City bought Alvarez for nothing, Liverpool as well bought Mane,Salah for very reasonable fees, Newcastle bought several good players for low fees ((Botman, Pope, Bruno G, even Gordon), Villa with Tielemans and the other french guy both for free and on and on. In the last 10 years the only team we can compare ourselves with very poor transfers is Chelsea.

Im sorry, Mainoo so far had 1 good game (against Everton). Garnacho is very inconsistent, Janujaj in his age was by far more promising and Willy we don’t really saw enough of him (he was good yesterday). Arsenal bought their captain for peanuts, City bought Alvarez for nothing, Liverpool as well bought Mane,Salah for very reasonable fees, Newcastle bought several good players for low fees ((Botman, Pope, Bruno G, even Gordon), Villa with Tielemans and the other french guy both for free and on and on. In the last 10 years the only team we can compare ourselves with very poor transfers is Chelsea.
You truly conflate what we buy with what we scout. We have had scouts resign for not being listened to recruitment controllers.

OleGunnar20

Agreed. The perfect guy for the job is Joao Neves at Benfica, if we could pull it off.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This post is idiotic

Gordon S

The scouts are doing their job, players like Garnacho, Amad, Hannibal show that. Our U18s are very strong this season, also a testament to the eyes of the scouts. You can also see us get linked to a long list of players around the world, a lot of good sensible targets there as well, which shows our scouting team has more than a clue what they are doing.
Problem is, (my theory) when it comes to the first team, there is a lot of unqualified people that wants in on the decision. And i get the feeling that even the manager is sadly included in that group. Just because you are good at tactics and setting up a team doesn`t necessarily mean you are good at spotting the best talents or the best to judge which player is best suited for the club.

Bobski

I don't get people wanting this guy given how limited he is on the ball, especially given the attitude to McT. Tackling machine but a 5 yard pass to the FB is his limit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Lets not go into the scouting stuff, I just want to remind you, that the majority on here wasn't overly skeptic at the beginning of the season. Everybody was aware of Hojlund being a longterm thing and Mount was considered a good football who, in the right system, might flourish. Most people expected us to have such a system. The fact we don't is hurting many players, the two you mentioned as well.
Watkins was never more than a decent striker. He is what last year Mitrovic has been or Toney. Not that such a player is bad, by all means, but lets not act as if that would be great scouting when you are going for the latest hype.

I don't know about Newcastle having to sell anybody, I actually doubt that but haven't researched the matter. I am sure though, they are not going to sell one of their best players. And certainly not to a direct rival.
Eh? Carrick and Scholes as a pair, with Bruno, would dominate in this current Premier League.

Scholsey2004

We need a younger Eriksen who's a bit more capable defensively. The quality of our possession when Eriksen plays is far better than without him. Orkun Kokcu from Benfica or Enzo Le Fee at Rennes maybe.