Joao Felix

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Hope he plays tonight. Although I wish these US pre seasons weren't a thing. Teams playing in terrible pitches, baseball pitches etc..

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Looks amazing. Maybe it wasn't a completely insane transfer!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Looks amazing. Maybe it wasn't a completely insane transfer!
It never was an insane transfer for me. How many youngsters have produced Felix' stats in Portugal? It was obvious that he was special.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The money involved was crazy and stats don’t tell everything, but he has that ability to play between the lines and thinks faster than the others, if he stays fit he will develop naturally. Still think Havertz or Sancho are more developed at this stage but he is ok at this level.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It never was an insane transfer for me. How many youngsters have produced Felix' stats in Portugal? It was obvious that he was special.
He still had only one season for the first team, played in a relatively weak league and haven't even had the chance to play in Champions League. The talent was obvious, but the money they've paid were insane for any young prospect.

If he can perform like that against top sides like Madrid from the get-go, maybe he's on a different stage of his development than I thought he was.

Untd55

People are actually arguing, based on a preseason game, that this transfer wasn't insane? £110m for one season. I really don't get people on here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He still had only one season for the first team, played in a relatively weak league and haven't even had the chance to play in Champions League. The talent was obvious, but the money they've paid were insane for any young prospect.

If he can perform like that against top sides like Madrid from the get-go, maybe he's on a different stage of his development than I thought he was.
Agreed. I still think he should have stayed at Benfica another year for his own sake but who could turn down €120m and the chance to rip Real a new one? :lol:

buckooo1978

he looked very good last night on the ball - seems to glide with the ball

interested to see how well he does this season - would love to see Atletico break Barca dominance

Fosu-Mens

The money involved was crazy and stats don’t tell everything, but he has that ability to play between the lines and thinks faster than the others, if he stays fit he will develop naturally. Still think Havertz or Sancho are more developed at this stage but he is ok at this level.
His movement, sublime touch and positioning is what makes him potentially worth the fee.

Lentwood

I despair for the people who post about the fee. £100m is the new £25/30m - newsflash....that's how much the best young talent is going for these days

We've spent around £110m on Fellaini, Schniederlin and Fred in the last few seasons.....I know whether I would rather have those three or one Joao Felix....

el3mel

I despair for the people who post about the fee. £100m is the new £25/30m - newsflash....that's how much the best young talent is going for these days

We've spent around £110m on Fellaini, Schniederlin and Fred in the last few seasons.....I know whether I would rather have those three or one Joao Felix....
No it's not. Paying 125m for a 19 years old is unprecedented madness.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
No it's not. Paying 125m for a 19 years old is unprecedented madness.
Atlético 'only' paid 30M in reality. The rest will be in factoring arrengements.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
His movement, sublime touch and positioning is what makes him potentially worth the fee.
At the end of the day he was signed based on his potential and not based in what league he came from. It’s more easy for Atlético to recover that investment if he has 19/20 than if he was 24/25.

Still a lot of money of course, and a lot of things to happen, but natural talent is there, that has nothing to do with coming from X or Y league. Or you have it or not.

By the way their signing of the season will be Lodi.

Thisistheone

At the end of the day he was signed based on his potential and not based in what league he came from. It’s more easy for Atlético to recover that investment if he has 19/20 than if he was 24/25.

Still a lot of money of course, and a lot of things to happen, but natural talent is there, that has nothing to do with coming from X or Y league. Or you have it or not.

By the way their signing of the season will be Lodi.
Never heard of him. What makes him so good?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Never heard of him. What makes him so good?
Played for Athletico Paranaense from Brazil. A club not so popular like the big ones from Rio or São Paulo, but I watched 2 games from him against Boca and River and the guy is great. No doubt that he will start for Brasil in a couple of months.

Thisistheone

Played for Athletico Paranaense from Brazil. A club not so popular like the big ones from Rio or São Paulo, but I watched 2 games from him against Boca and River and the guy is great. No doubt that he will start for Brasil in a couple of months.
Interesting. Will keep an eye out for him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Interesting. Will keep an eye out for him.
Not related with the topic but another 2 players in Brasil who European clubs should take a look is Everton from Grêmio and Bruno Guimarães from Paranaense.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not related with the topic but another 2 players in Brasil who European clubs should take a look is Everton from Grêmio and Bruno Guimarães from Paranaense.
Didn't Everton recently come out and say he wanted to play for United?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Didn't Everton recently come out and say he wanted to play for United?
Don’t know that, I heard during Copa America City was interested in him, will be surprised if he doesn’t come to Europe this Summer.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don’t know that, I heard during Copa America City was interested in him, will be surprised if he doesn’t come to Europe this Summer.
Pretty sure I read it in one of the Brazilian newspapers. Would be a nice signing for whoever gets him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pretty sure I read it in one of the Brazilian newspapers. Would be a nice signing for whoever gets him.
Was reading now on Twitter a Brazilian journalist saying Arsenal was interested in him but it won’t happen because they confirmed the signing of Pepe from Lille. 80 million euros.

Eriku

People are actually arguing, based on a preseason game, that this transfer wasn't insane? £110m for one season. I really don't get people on here.
Same. Januzaj’s first season for us made him look a world-beater. Hasn’t shown that level since. Or at least I assume we’d have heard more about his exploits at Real Sociedad if he did play to that level.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Care to expand on this please? This is the first I’ve heard of this.
There's a reason you have never heard of this. It's because its complete silliness. Benfica has a close relationship with Mendes and already bought a striker named Vinicius for 17M euros from his roster and perhaps more will follow. All the rest are conspiracy theories by butthurt rival fans.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Generational talent costs big money. It’s not hard to understand.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He looked phenomenal the 20 odd minutes he played against Numancia too.

Lodi is looking great too. He was available for 20m and as close to a sure thing as you can get at LB.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Care to expand on this please? This is the first I’ve heard of this.
I'm no expert on the matter but the transfer that went public was 30M from athletic and the rest due a factoring transation with a 3rd party. Which means that in theory, profits made by Atlético will go into the factoring invoice.

In practice it's between Mendes clubs so god knows what sort of schemes are going on under the hood. Benfica just bought a striker that scored 1 goal last season for 17M, from a Mendes club. But there are many other strange cases and not just in Benfica to be fair.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
I'm no expert on the matter but the transfer that went public was 30M from athletic and the rest due a factoring transation with a 3rd party. Which means that in theory, profits made by Atlético will go into the factoring invoice.

In practice it's between Mendes clubs so god knows what sort of schemes are going on under the hood. Benfica just bought a striker that scored 1 goal last season for 17M, from a Mendes club. But there are many other strange cases and not just in Benfica to be fair.
It shows that you're no expert. That was the most clumsy atempt at explaining a financial transition I've hever read. Benfica got a 127,2M offer for Felix, 120M for the release clause, 6M for the interest of the financial operation and 1,2M for Porto for uefa's solidarity payment. So we got 120M for Felix less 10% that is Mende's fee. 108 in total. As for Vinicius he actually scored 16 goals last season, 14 for Rio Ave and 2 at Monaco.

Fer

Would you pay that money for Sancho?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It shows that you're no expert. That was the most clumsy atempt at explaining a financial transition I've hever read. Benfica got a 127,2M offer for Felix, 120M for the release clause, 6M for the interest of the financial operation and 1,2M for Porto for uefa's solidarity payment. So we got 120M for Felix less 10% that is Mende's fee. 108 in total. As for Vinicius he actually scored 16 goals last season, 14 for Rio Ave and 2 at Monaco.
It was a factoring operation.

And I don’t care if you’re a Benfica fan or not. I can say he has quality and possibly in the future no one will care what it was.

It was a factoring operation involving the same financial institutions associated with the same investors linked to Mendes and the Atletico investors. Or do you want to explain who are the new investors linked to Famalicão?

Who brought Raul de Tomas? Who represents Carlos Vinicius? Doesn’t matter for this topic.

And this isn’t a Benfica topic. Here we talk about the player, who by the way has quality. No one is saying it hasn’t.