Joao Neves

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Will of course depend on his role in the team. Height is quite important for a CDM but not for an AM like the players you mention.
I don't think it is.

Positioning, anticipation, intelligence, tough tackling (perhaps a low centre of gravity helps) and mobility are the things I think about in a CDM.

Height is one of the last.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I doubt we go in for this guy. They’ll want a lot of money for him.

parmenio

He’s not a defensive midfielder. He’s a 19 year old with crazy potential. Him and Bruno would be 2. Parts of a superb midfield still need one more though. He definitely massively improves our team though but very much doubt we’ll pay what it would take to get him. Has City written all over him makes so much sense.

Bojan Djordjic

I don't think it is.

Positioning, anticipation, intelligence, tough tackling (perhaps a low centre of gravity helps) and mobility are the things I think about in a CDM.

Height is one of the last.
Height itself mightn't be on its own but there are qualities that are more highly correlated with tall players than with smaller players such as physical dominance in aerial and ground duels. Also long strides mean the player can often cover more ground. These are clearly qualities that are important for a defensive midfielder.

We Need Another Rebuild

Seems like the perfect next up and coming DLP with defensive contributions similar to Enzo Fernandez.

I think he would be the long term replacement for Eriksen and alternative to FDJ.

Looks a very technical player with ability to build up, and play through the 3rds with the ability to put in a challenge or dribble out of danger.

The only problem if that tweet is to be believed £100 million is a huge outlay, probably worth it but we have so many areas that need upgrading.

Bruno, Neves & Fofana from Monaco would take this midfield up to or 3 levels.

daba

Seems like the perfect next up and coming DLP with defensive contributions similar to Enzo Fernandez.

I think he would be the long term replacement for Eriksen and alternative to FDJ.

Looks a very technical player with ability to build up, and play through the 3rds with the ability to put in a challenge or dribble out of danger.

The only problem if that tweet is to be believed £100 million is a huge outlay, probably worth it but we have so many areas that need upgrading.

Bruno, Neves & Fofana from Monaco would take this midfield up to or 3 levels.
What’s Fofana like?

From the clips I’ve seen he looks just okay and his FBref report also nothing special. Not seen a full game of his so I can’t make a proper judgement but would be interested to know how he compares to someone like Thuram or Kouadio Kone.

From comparing their FBref reports he seems like more of a passer than a carrier like Thuram for example?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Reminds me of Moutinho, but probably a bit more explosive. I think he's going to be one of those players you can't afford to miss out on.

Cathy Ferguson

Height itself mightn't be on its own but there are qualities that are more highly correlated with tall players than with smaller players such as physical dominance in aerial and ground duels. Also long strides mean the player can often cover more ground. These are clearly qualities that are important for a defensive midfielder.
Exactly. Look at Rodri and Rice for instance. FDJ is quite physical and so was Busqets.

RuudTom83

I know the market took another jump up in transfer fees last summer. But paying 100+ for a 19 year old with zero experience in England is one hell of a gamble.

Would also show Jim to be as big of a transfer muppet as Woody, which wasn’t the look he was going for if the PR is to be believed.

Scholsey2004

Im a bit torn. We cant spend Enzo Fernandez money on a single player, but when City identify the right player they make it happen, whereas we frequently move on to the second and third choice targets who are rarely the right player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Reminds me of Moutinho, but probably a bit more explosive. I think he's going to be one of those players you can't afford to miss out on.
We always miss out on them. Every time a midfielder that we genuinely need comes up, he goes elsewhere.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Nah we will return to Frenkie despite him blocking Murtough's phone already. Then when he refused for the 20th times we will move on to some bang average midfielder that cant score a tap in. Thats how we do our transfers.

We Need Another Rebuild

What’s Fofana like?

From the clips I’ve seen he looks just okay and his FBref report also nothing special. Not seen a full game of his so I can’t make a proper judgement but would be interested to know how he compares to someone like Thuram or Kouadio Kone.

From comparing their FBref reports he seems like more of a passer than a carrier like Thuram for example?
From what I have briefly seen I thought the same, since we became linked which is probably due to any link with Mitchell players or Nice players during the SJR 25% Takeover.

I did some research and looks like the perfect foil for a technical box to box midfielder, he looks more like a technical destroyer who is able to pass through the lines or dribble through a press.

He also looks to consistently break up play, providing a screen, I may be wrong but that is what I have seen.

Comparing him to Thuram who looks more box to box which would be a different option to Neves if we wanted more steel in midfield whereas Kone I am not really sure.

We Need Another Rebuild

What’s Fofana like?

From what I have briefly seen I though the same, since we became linked which is probably due to any link with Mitchell players or Nice players during the SJR 25% Takeover.

I did some research and looks like the perfect foil for a technical box to box midfielder as per the below link:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Glad to see we are scouting him extensively and even things like Bruno bigging him up and occasionally talking about him. As others have said think this could be one we really couldn't afford to miss out on and a player tailor made for the role we are crying out for over the next 5-10 years. Could be a biggie

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Too expensive. No point throwing all our budget on one player.
My thoughts too. Benfica tax is crazy. He might be a potential superstar but there are definitely other central midfielders out there who can play under the press and make accurate short passes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
when City identify the right player they make it happen, whereas we frequently move on to the second and third choice targets who are rarely the right player.
That's not true - Man City frequently drop out of deals when the price is too much or they can't agree terms. Koulibaly was first choice over Dias; Kane was first choice no.9; we outpriced them for Alexis Sanchez and Harry Maguire etc... -- City always move on to alternative targets. If anything, we don't.

SAF is the GOAT

No bloody way we're paying 103M(120m euros) in his contract on an unknown young midfielder, it ain't happening.

redcucumber

Why do teenagers agree to these 120m release clauses? Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool etc aren't paying that much. They are limiting their options to the feckless idiots of the world, like Chelsea (and potentially us).

ROFLUTION

We have to develop these type of players ourselves really. Buy big talents at a young age and nurture them. Make them feel at home here.

In the future, talents like this will go to Saudi Arabia, where we just can't pay the same amount. Our youth development will be vital for the next decade and should be boosted by about 200% if you ask me.

AnotherLondonManc

Why do teenagers agree to these 120m release clauses? Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool etc aren't paying that much. They are limiting their options to the feckless idiots of the world, like Chelsea (and potentially us).
Likely though negotiation. Benfica could offer 10k per week with a low release clause, or 30k per week with an enormous one.

If I'm Neves, I have no intention of leaving Benfica on a free. So if I'm signing a contract, may as well take the additional salary.

Plus, clubs will pay that kind of silly money for a teenager. He'll get his move if he's good enough, and the huge fee will mean bigger wages at his next club

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
1.74m is very short for a CM in the PL but seems like a better dribbler than any of our wingers. Mainoo as no 6 and Neves as no 8 might work.
Yes, he is short. But he imposes himself very well in aerial duels... his jumping ability and strength are very impressive, particularly for his age

Mylock

Neves looks a decent player but would stay away from buying him at the moment.
We should be giving Mainoo and Gore a chance to stake a claim for a place in the team. Both have been training with the 1st team squad for at least the last 6 months. Unless they get injured and don't get a chance they are going to be big players in the future for the club, both super talented, just waiting for the opportunity. They are ready, give them the chance.

Kingslayer18

I think we need two midfielders with one being physically and athletically gifted where he can eat up ground very quickly and win his duels in a larger space when the opponent is looking to transition quickly. The players who stand out in that regard are Amadou Onana and Lucas Gourna-Douath who is currently at Salzburg.

We can then target a Joao Neves, Oscar Zambrano or Arthur Vermeeren as well. I also really like the young midfielder from Corinthians (Gabriel Moscardo) who at 18 looks top quality and someone who I think we could target under a more ambitious owner.

I think signing two of Todibo, Lukeba, Silva, Diomande at CB along with one of Amadou Onana Lucas Gourna-Douath in midfield would significantly raise our ability to compact the space and control defensive transitions a little more comfortably in larger spaces. That would then provide the platform for the likes of Mainoo and Joao Neves to play their game.

I'd love a midfield of Onana and Vermeeren. Vermeeren brings the passing and game management, whilst doing his bit defensively and Onana will the athletic DM that we have been crying out for years. Would prefer Vermeeren over Neves, he will also be way cheaper too and is as good technically.

onemanarmy

I'd love a midfield of Onana and Vermeeren. Vermeeren brings the passing and game management, whilst doing his bit defensively and Onana will the athletic DM that we have been crying out for years. Would prefer Vermeeren over Neves, he will also be way cheaper too and is as good technically.
It's too early for Vermeeren to be a starting CM for Utd I think. He's good, but lightweight and very unexperienced.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Im a bit torn. We cant spend Enzo Fernandez money on a single player, but when City identify the right player they make it happen, whereas we frequently move on to the second and third choice targets who are rarely the right player.
The key is that our scouting needs to be better so that our second, third, fourth choice players are still great options. We regularly missed out on our first choice targets under Fergie, but more often than not the players we did end up signing were still successful with us. That's the case for all top teams as nobody gets their first choice all the time.

cyberman

What’s the point in spending world class fees on a talent who might not make it?
feck all that. 100m? Fine, we will move on. Absolutely ridiculous

parmenio

What’s the point in spending world class fees on a talent who might not make it?
feck all that. 100m? Fine, we will move on. Absolutely ridiculous
If we were ever going to spend crazy money on a young kid this lad is it. I’d be amazed if we had the guts to get him but he’s definitely worth the risk. His potential is huge. If we don’t for sure someone will. City are already circling. However he’s a benefica kid living his dream. He also seems level headed and may stay for another year or two. The reason he signed the high release clause similar to Siva doing the same is these kids have the club in their heart. When they go it will be for big money.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
For 100m you would want to spend that on a proven player that's ready to contribute right away, rather than "potentially" the next big thing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't seen much of Joao Neves and I don't believe we should break the bank for potential when potential could be bought for a more reasonable price. And the young midfielder at Antwerp (Vermeeren) does fall into the category of young midfielder who could well turn into a potential bargain buy for a big club. He likely isn't ready to start week in week out but we as a football club also aren't ready to compete against the very best teams week in week out. So instead of allowing a young player like Vermeeren to join a stepping stone club, I think we should be a little more proactive and take a chance on signing him before his market value increases exponentially. There's also other midfielders who could be targeted and fall under the same bracket, a player like Gabriel Moscardo at Corinthians who is showing big potential at 18 years of age.

If you watch our games closely we have a problem defending transitions, especially in central areas. So when we commit players forward and push the back-line up, we struggle to contain the opponent's attacks when they're breaking with pace. It was evident in our game against Luton, where a quick surge forward from one of the Luton players from their own half would cause us problems. We need players in central areas who can provide both the technical quality on the ball, as well as having the ability to compact space against the opponent's transition. We badly lack a midfielder who is technically good on the ball, along with being strong in duels out of possession. Amadou Onana potentially is that player, where he's showing that he has the physicality and athleticism to compact space against the opponent's transition, where he can dominate both on the ground and in the air, which is a added bonus. So raising both the technical and athletic level of the team should be a priority imo. Amadou Onana along with Todibo, Diomande and a young midfielder like Vemeeren or Moscardo would be the way to go imo.

Erik ten Hag has taken off the plasters that were in place for a long time, which I believe were a hindrance to the team when it came to playing a more dominant brand of football. De Gea in goal, Fred/Mctominay at the base of midfield, Lindelof/Maguire as starting CBs and Ronaldo as the central striker. Unfortunately due to injuries some of the aforementioned players have returned to the lineup and Maguire has done well. But I do believe that we will now target the defense and midfield as priority after the GK and striker had become priority positions in the summer transfer window.

Kingslayer18

It's too early for Vermeeren to be a starting CM for Utd I think. He's good, but lightweight and very unexperienced.

Fair enough. I'd still like us to get him in the squad as a long term replacement for Erikksen. However, if we're thinking of making Mainoo into a starter, I don't see why Vermeeren also could'nt start for us. Vermeeren is getting more experience playing week in, week out and also playing champions league.

Kingslayer18

I haven't seen much of Joao Neves and I don't believe we should break the bank for potential when potential could be bought for a more reasonable price. And the young midfielder at Antwerp (Vermeeren) does fall into the category of young midfielder who could well turn into a potential bargain buy for a big club. He likely isn't ready to start week in week out but we as a football club also aren't ready to compete against the very best teams week in week out. So instead of allowing a young player like Vermeeren to join a stepping stone club, I think we should be a little more proactive and take a chance on signing him before his market value increases exponentially. There's also other midfielders who could be targeted and fall under the same bracket, a player like Gabriel Moscardo at Corinthians who is showing big potential at 18 years of age.

If you watch our games closely we have a problem defending transitions, especially in central areas. So when we commit players forward and push the back-line up, we struggle to contain the opponent's attacks when they're breaking with pace. It was evident in our game against Luton, where a quick surge forward from one of the Luton players from their own half would cause us problems. We need players in central areas who can provide both the technical quality on the ball, as well as having the ability to compact space against the opponent's transition. We badly lack a midfielder who is technically good on the ball, along with being strong in duels out of possession. Amadou Onana potentially is that player, where he's showing that he has the physicality and athleticism to compact space against the opponent's transition, where he can dominate both on the ground and in the air, which is a added bonus. So raising both the technical and athletic level of the team should be a priority imo. Amadou Onana along with Todibo, Diomande and a young midfielder like Vemeeren or Moscardo would be the way to go imo.

Erik ten Hag has taken off the plasters that were in place for a long time, which I believe were a hindrance to the team when it came to playing a more dominant brand of football. De Gea in goal, Fred/Mctominay at the base of midfield, Lindelof/Maguire as starting CBs and Ronaldo as the central striker. Unfortunately due to injuries some of the aforementioned players have returned to the lineup and Maguire has done well. But I do believe that we will now target the defense and midfield as priority after the GK and striker had become priority positions in the summer transfer window.

I think Neves is more an 8, whereas Vermeeren is more a 6. Vermeeren could play as an 8 as well though. I agree, it makes no sense paying 100m for potential unless its Mbappe like level. There are a number of young midfielders around that could fulfill our requirements and be purchased at a reasonable level. I have heard of Moscardo before, Chelsea made a bid for him which seemed to have been rejected at the time. I wonder how Moscardo compares to Federico Redondo, who seems to be gaining much attention. Could Moscardo play alongside another 6 like Amadou Onana or is he more a single pivot?

Agreed, we lack speed and athleticism in the central areas as well as the technical ability to progress the ball. Whereas most top teams are looking at getting press resistant midfielders, we don't have anyone in the squad with that profile for us, aside from Mainoo and Hannibal. The CBs and midfielders you mentioned would go a long way to making us into a modern team. Having Todibo and Diomande in our defensive line, with a midfield of Onana and other, we would have the ability to get up the field easily and benefit from Andre Onana's passing ability in goal.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
1.74m is very short for a CM in the PL but seems like a better dribbler than any of our wingers.
Mainoo as no 6 and Neves as no 8 might work.
I am convinced of that size — at specific positions — is very overrated in today’s game. This is not to say that size on the pitch is overrated, you need it to defend set pieces. And it’s not entirely easy to fit it in if you don’t have it at CB/perhaps CDM/Striker.

But a team that play a state of the art brand of football — which definitely is necessary to compete in the long run — is just not going to have many clear 1 on 1 heading duels. And of the few situations they come — like 90% will from goalkicks etc and you can easily put a No 8 instead of a No 6 in those headduels.

Bondi77

We should just buy out whoever owns Benfica as it looks like they are the best club in Europe at making money on their players :eek: