Joe Gomez

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We didn't make him do much defending. He did what he had to well, but if he was playing for us is want more out of him going forward, even if it's just a runner to open up some space.

Maybe that's tactical or he's given instructions. But in a game where you're on top, a fullback is capable of opening up the other team, even if it's with a well timed run.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Impressed, quick and switched on defensively and good on the ball, knows when to cross and when to work it around it seems.

We didn't threaten though, so I dunno how much to read into it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Before his knee injury he was looking like a top talent. Happy from a English perspective that he is regularly starting again.

Could be Ashley Cole style full back who is rock solid defensively.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
He's a definite prospect. Raw, looks out of his depth now and again but he's a bairn and that's understandable especially when he doesn't seem to have a permanent position although I'd love to see him get a spell at CB. Him and TAA could both turn into fantastic players if they're given enough time and don't get smashed by criticism if they make mistakes or have a bad game.

Some genuine talent in Liverpools youngsters with them two, Woodburn and Solanke. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but the others getting hyped I don't think have the same ability (Kent, Ojo, Amoo etc)

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
What a performance against a £200m player, not bad for a £3.5m guy! So happy for him especially commendable to come back so strong after a ACL injury so young

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yes and we had to pay them a extra £250k thanks to the england Debut
It was inevitable. You've got yourself an elite talent tbh.. could become one of the best man-markers of the game IMO. Type of defender you'd want to go toe to toe with the likes of Mbappe etc very agile, strong and quick and reads the game really well.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was inevitable. You've got yourself an elite talent tbh.. could become one of the best man-markers of the game IMO. Type of defender you'd want to go toe to toe with the likes of Mbappe etc very agile, strong and quick and reads the game really well.
:lol: calm down FFS

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol: calm down FFS
Being serious when he first broke through pre injury I thought Liverpool had a huge talent on their hands and since his return he has marked likes of Martial and Neymar and not broken a sweat. He's definitely a big talent in a defensive sense which is rare in the modern game. Time will tell of course but I do think highly of him.

Bwuk

Yes and we had to pay them a extra £250k thanks to the england Debut
To be fair that was always going to happen due to Englands poor options.

He played well from what I saw. He's a strange one, I don't think he's a right back, but I'm unsure if he'd be fine as a CB in a back 4. The RCB seemed to suit him.

TheOrgazoid

Joe Gomez and Dele Alli were outstanding young talents for their former clubs.
Although both playing in the football league at the time, it was clear that they had the attributes to be fantastic senior players.

Remember 1-4 against MK Dons? Alli smashed us that night.
We should have been speaking with MK Dons the next day, asking about his availability and attempting to secure a pre-summer agreement.

Gomez is similar. Didn't get beaten once by Martial in the game at Anfield this season. Had his number.

Now look at them.
Oh well... Jesse Langard says Hi and dabs at you.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He played well from what I saw. He's a strange one, I don't think he's a right back, but I'm unsure if he'd be fine as a CB in a back 4. The RCB seemed to suit him.
Pretty much, this seems to be the case with a lot of defenders now. The back 3 allows their decision making not to be found out by being in a CB pairing. Holding is a good example of this. I think it's a very good stepping stone for young defenders to learn there trade. If they're physical, ie pace and strength, they'll look very good. I'd worry about him in the air in a centre back pairing.

Rafateria

I actually think he'd make a fine DM but it seems no-one else does :lol:

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
He just needs regular football and no big injury.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Looked top last night but played in an overly defensive set up. Even Lovren would look half decent.

He (and Sterling at the time) had my juices stirring before his horrendous injuries. This season he has looked phenomenal at times yet completely clueless at others. Maybe he's feeling his way back into it. Hopefully that is the case.

That brain fart to let Lanzini score is one of a small number of costly (i.e. it cost us a goal) mistakes he's made this season. Can't wait to see him bring some consistency though. We will finally be able to boot Lovren and Klavan out.

Rafateria

Looked top last night but played in an overly defensive set up. Even Lovren would look half decent.

He (and Sterling at the time) had my juices stirring before his horrendous injuries. This season he has looked phenomenal at times yet completely clueless at others. Maybe he's feeling his way back into it. Hopefully that is the case.

That brain fart to let Lanzini score is one of a small number of costly (i.e. it cost us a goal) mistakes he's made this season. Can't wait to see him bring some consistency though. We will finally be able to boot Lovren and Klavan out.
Name another costly mistake he's made ? Because I can't think of one. He's generally been very good bar that one lapse.

Bwuk

I actually think he'd make a fine DM but it seems no-one else does :lol:
Possibly, couldn't harm your current side to give him a chance there.

I actually think Alexander-Arnold would do better in midfield than right back.

Rafateria

Possibly, couldn't harm your current side to give him a chance there.

I actually think Alexander-Arnold would do better in midfield than right back.
Many agree with you. However we are quite well stocked with attacking midfielders ! It's defensively we are well short and with Clyne's injury set-back he and Gomez will be rotating until at least February. However Gomez in front of the CBs with say Wijnaldum and Coutinho ahead of him, looks better on paper than Henderson+2. Well at least to me it does !

Irrational.

Although both playing in the football league at the time, it was clear that they had the attributes to be fantastic senior players.

We should have been speaking with MK Dons the next day, asking about his availability and attempting to secure a pre-summer agreement.

Gomez is similar. Didn't get beaten once by Martial in the game at Anfield this season. Had his number.

Now look at them.
This irritates me to this day. The bigheadedness of LvG cost us, and allowed Spurs to swoop in and profit. :mad:

Back on topic, he looks like a top-class prospect and was excellent yesterday. Not often you see Neymar so quiet and trying speculative long-range efforts.

JoaquinJoaquin

Been very impressed by him this season. Looks like an excellent player in the making which is strange considering Liverpool's defensive issues.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a performance against a £200m player, not bad for a £3.5m guy! So happy for him especially commendable to come back so strong after a ACL injury so young
He did his job don't get me wrong, but Neymar hardly "played up against him" ? he was coming inside and running the show from the AMC position. He didn't stop him doing that either, Neymar was the best player on the pitch by far.

I would not call that shutting him down at all TBH. But yes apart from that he covered the RCB area well. Very much going OTT though in my eyes, just like people did with RLC

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Brilliant performance against quality opposition. I don't think he's England's most talented CB, but he isn't too far behind.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's definitely a CB, he started out for us at RB as well playing Championship football at 17, and then he switched to CB towards the end of the season which coincided with our best run of form.

Really good performance yesterday, he's a terrific athlete combining height, pace and agility and he has natural defensive instincts. What's always stood out about him is his composure. Even at 17 he looked the most calming presence we had at the back compared to some vastly more experienced players around him. Always focused and had confidence in his ability to defend situations and to build play from the back, finding passes in to midfielders feet when most of our other defenders were just lumping it forward and playing route one.

Hope he isn't a victim of his own versatility and he gets a run at CB, maybe it's time Liverpool looked at him as they don't have anybody else in any sort of form bar Matip. Ideally he'd be playing in a 3-man defence as the RCB role probably fits him perfectly, it'll utilize his confidence on the ball and with his experience at both FB positions and pace and power he's perfect at covering areas out near the touchline, and as a youngster having another 2 CB's alongside him would probably help him develop more.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's definitely a CB, he started out for us at RB as well playing Championship football at 17, and then he switched to CB towards the end of the season which coincided with our best run of form.

Really good performance yesterday, he's a terrific athlete combining height, pace and agility and he has natural defensive instincts. What's always stood out about him is his composure. Even at 17 he looked the most calming presence we had at the back compared to some vastly more experienced players around him. Always focused and had confidence in his ability to defend situations and to build play from the back, finding passes in to midfielders feet when most of our other defenders were just lumping it forward and playing route one.

Hope he isn't a victim of his own versatility and he gets a run at CB, maybe it's time Liverpool looked at him as they don't have anybody else in any sort of form bar Matip. Ideally he'd be playing in a 3-man defence as the RCB role probably fits him perfectly, it'll utilize his confidence on the ball and with his experience at both FB positions and pace and power he's perfect at covering areas out near the touchline, and as a youngster having another 2 CB's alongside him would probably help him develop more.
The downside of that is having to play one of the other centrebacks besides Matip and Gomez in that lineup.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Hate to say it, but reminds me of a young Rio by how effortless he looks sometimes.

Gonna be a World Class player, for sure.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I'm just thankful his base talent level is so high that he's going to make it regardless of system/ play style.
Defenders in his mould are hard to come by and are the only way we can play the way we do.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’s the player people keep pretending Bailly is.

Superb young talent and has a great natural defensive awareness combined with his physical and technical attributes.

You can’t help but feel he’d have been a United player if Ferguson was still around circa 2015.

TheReligion

Abusive

Now look at them.
What on earth you on about? Lingard came through the United academy. Gomez and Dele were both bought by their clubs.

haram

Hate to say it, but reminds me of a young Rio by how effortless he looks sometimes.

Gonna be a World Class player, for sure.
Very over the top.

People need to calm down, he played in a very defensive system against Brazil.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’s the player people keep pretending Bailly is.

Superb young talent and has a great natural defensive awareness combined with his physical and technical attributes.

You can’t help but feel he’d have been a United player if Ferguson was still around circa 2015.
:lol:

automaticflare

Many agree with you. However we are quite well stocked with attacking midfielders ! It's defensively we are well short and with Clyne's injury set-back he and Gomez will be rotating until at least February. However Gomez in front of the CBs with say Wijnaldum and Coutinho ahead of him, looks better on paper than Henderson+2. Well at least to me it does !
Your manager is short any sort of defensive mentality that's the problem really so I can't see him shifting to something like you suggest. I actually agree with you. Henderson is one of the most anonymous players I have seen at the level he is playing at. Whether Gomez is that man is another question. I could definitely see it working against someone who needs specific marking but not sure his decision making and positional coverage in midfield like carrick or dier for example when you want someone to just sit there and control game pace and manage gaps rather than marking one v one. It is a different mentality required and requires more intelligence rather than doggedness. although granted he is untested there no reason he couldn't be with some experience.

I think he is a good player