Joe Gomez

romufc

But they dont over power teams like City and even theyve struggled over the last 18 months when Kompany left. You cant get away with a soft centre in England anymore.
Theyre a well balanced side but they arent so top heavy that they go out outscore sides, its all very controlled and their defence plays a massive part in that.
Look at their form so far this year with a dodgy defence.
And, like VVD, this injury means they cant rotate and these games do not stop coming. Matip is more injury prone than any of them!
I know where you are coming from and the rationale behind it. I agree that without VVD they struggle.

However, looking at the competition, I cannot see anyone good enough to challenge them. Looking at it, I think if we got off to a better start, even we could have been in the mix but again we lack the consistency and the killer instinct.

Brophs

The One and Only
The Liverpool players take off their warm up jackets to reveal t-shirts supporting their fallen comrade, Virgil Van Dyke. They remove those t-shirts to reveal additional t-shirts in support of Joe 'Jomez' Gomez. They remove those t-shirts to reveal...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
In fairness they've lost pretty much all their CBs, I don't think we can say fate is on their side at the minute.
They've lost 2? Whose fault is it they only had 3 first choice CBs?

Every club faces injuries, and it happens when those injuries seem focused on one area of the squad. Shit happens, but don't play the woe is me card. As others have said, we had CB pairings of Carrick and Fletcher before.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, I'm going to call he'll never make it at a top club now. His unfortunate timing of injuries will feck that up. It's a real shame, as I thought he could really kick on this season.

Bubz27

I think its mental this has been breaking news. Do all injured players get this coverage?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Every club faces injuries, and it happens when those injuries seem focused on one area of the squad. Shit happens, but don't play the woe is me card. As others have said, we had CB pairings of Carrick and Fletcher before.
It's not just their CBs, they've had 14 injuries this season. By comparison, Telles is the only one of our lot who's missed significant gametime through injury, Bailly too but he's not really a miss. Shaw's only our 2nd meaningful injury of the season, . Sure, every club faces injuries but they've been hit very hard, no denying that, it's just an observation. I'm not pretending they're the only club who've ever had injuries. I'm fully aware we've had big injury issues in the past, I even brought it up in another post.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
:lol:

How's your luck, 3 of your 4 first choice CB's relying on the crock that it Matip as the last man standing

Bubz27

It's not just their CBs, they've had 14 injuries this season. By comparison, Telles is the only one of our lot who's missed significant gametime through injury, Bailly too but he's not really a miss. Shaw's only our 2nd meaningful injury of the season, . Sure, every club faces injuries but they've been hit very hard, no denying that, it's just an observation. I'm not pretending they're the only club who've ever had injuries. I'm fully aware we've had big injury issues in the past, I even brought it up in another post.
But I initially replied to a comment talking about CB injuries.

We've had Tuanzebe injured, Maguire injured, Pogba had covid, Rashford injured and Lingard injured by the way. That's just off the top of my head.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Well to be fair, their playing style is very intensive. Only a matter of time before they started getting injuries. Amazed it has taken this long tbf.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
But I initially replied to a comment talking about CB injuries.

We've had Tuanzebe injured, Maguire injured, Pogba had covid, Rashford injured and Lingard injured by the way. That's just off the top of my head.
None of those injuries were particularly meaningul as they missed 1 game or so, that's why I said meaningful. I don't know why people are so deadset on saying they haven't been unlucky when they obviously have been. Thiago has only played 2 times since he joined due to injury, Fabinho, Alisson, Henderson, Gomez and van Dijk have missed (or are set to) multiple weeks through injury.

Tuanzebe's injury carried over from last season anyway so we're really pushing it if we're including that since the discussion was about injuries sustained this season. From your list you could include Lingard but it's not like he'd be getting many minutes anyway, he's not someone we miss.

javanmard

Supports
Liverpool
It's actually like having one centre back available and it's fabinho because Matip can't stay injury free for more than three games

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't sound good. Went down in a lot of pain with no one around him.

lysglimt

Scout
We had plenty of injuries last season (Alisson and Fabinho out for months combined) but won despite them so they got underplayed.

How often do teams lose their best player for an entire season, lose their best replacement in the position (potentially for half of the season or more, we'll see what the Gomez news is) and still win the big trophies? I'll admit I can't remember United's injury record over the years but my memory is that such season ending injuries were usually the reason you fell short (Keane in 1997). City two years ago is the only one that comes to mind and that was a) arguably the best squad ever assembled and b) not a totally comparable situation because although De Bruyne missed plenty of games, he still had 19 appearances.
I have never seen a team more lucky with injuries than Liverpool last season
Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, TAA, Robertson, Firmino, Salah and Mane combined last 10 league games.
Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Allison and Fabinho lost 37 matches
So your 11 most used players, on average lost 4 games

So yes you have been really unlucky this season - but last season was an insame amount of luck

lysglimt

Scout
Rubbish! I remember the year City just pipped us to the title in 2012 we had used nearly 40 players and it was only January. Vidic missed the majority of the season, as did Fletcher, Rafael and about half of the bloody squad.
Good call - looked it up.

Vidic 6 matches, Rafael 12 and Fletcher was practically not playing either because of his illness
We had 2 players, playing more than 30 matches that season. Evra and Rooney

charlenefan

and yet I still think they'll win the league.
yep, the fact they're conceding less goals post VVD injury than they were with him in the side just takes the piss

RooneyLegend

Fabinho and Matip is still a good enough pairing for them to win the league, if one of them goes down then it's a proper mess.

hubbuh

The Liverpool players take off their warm up jackets to reveal t-shirts supporting their fallen comrade, Virgil Van Dyke. They remove those t-shirts to reveal additional t-shirts in support of Joe 'Jomez' Gomez. They remove those t-shirts to reveal...
:lol:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
International break is pointless now.

Imagine when Infantino makes it a 100 team World Cup like he wants it too, he will finish ruining International football

Bubz27

None of those injuries were particularly meaningul as they missed 1 game or so, that's why I said meaningful. I don't know why people are so deadset on saying they haven't been unlucky when they obviously have been. Thiago has only played 2 times since he joined due to injury, Fabinho, Alisson, Henderson, Gomez and van Dijk have missed (or are set to) multiple weeks through injury.

Tuanzebe's injury carried over from last season anyway so we're really pushing it if we're including that since the discussion was about injuries sustained this season. From your list you could include Lingard but it's not like he'd be getting many minutes anyway, he's not someone we miss.
Transfermarkt doesn't have Fabinho as missing a single game this year to injury. Axel's still missed games this year, I don't like the juggling of stats Liverpool fans love doing. I know you're not, by the way.

Anyway, silly point. Yes they've had/got some injuries this year, but the narrative being built up around them is laughable. The way Gomez's injury's been reported today smacks of the media lapping Liverpool up.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
International break is pointless now.

Imagine when Infantino makes it a 100 team World Cup like he wants it too, he will finish ruining International football
Are you trying to say it isn't ruined already?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
From the sounds of it, I'll guess its an ACL. Van Dijk and Gomez out for the year is real rough for them, if it is ACL for Gomez. They'll almost certainly buy a CB in January if true.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean you can't really take their overall number as a point when you discount players from our list, whether Bailly is useful or not. They also have useless players to them who have been out injured who impact that number.

But yeah they're having a rough go right now, but then the past 2-3 years they have been pretty much immune from injuries to their key players, so was bound to happen.

Baneofthegame

From the sounds of it, I'll guess its an ACL. Van Dijk and Gomez out for the year is real rough for them, if it is ACL for Gomez. They'll almost certainly buy a CB in January if true.
They were reportedly interested in Kabak weren’t they?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I remember reading an article a few weeks ago before VVD injury, where Klopp said that they were happy with defensive cover and not
Feeling the need to buy

we have had some strange CBs over the years, as you say, Carrick, Fletcher, then add in Keane, Neville, Matic recently, McT (although that Jose being Jose. I’m sure there are many more.

it’s only 6 weeks until they can buy another defender, and this break is about 2 weeks.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Funny thing is, we’ve probably still got as many defenders injured as them now, if not more - but you never hear about that.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I remember reading an article a few weeks ago before VVD injury, where Klopp said that they were happy with defensive cover and not
Feeling the need to buy
Which means the opposite and he will feel the need to buy. This latest injury just enhances it. Our local journo's have a track record recently of being briefed to downplay transfer interest and activity and they just hit us with it.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Are you trying to say it isn't ruined already?
I still like watching World Cup, Euros.

The Conmebol qualifiers are still fun to watch because its a bloodbath. But the rest is crap

dbs235

Yeah, I'm going to call he'll never make it at a top club now. His unfortunate timing of injuries will feck that up. It's a real shame, as I thought he could really kick on this season.
He's already made it. 43 appearances last season in a title winning team. Won the UCL the season before (playing 9 of the UCL games).

charlenefan

Trents injured too for 4-6 weeks :lol:

Anyways we’re majorly fecked. The narrative that we never had injuries was never true but we never had them in clusters all at once like this.
Apart from Allison what major injuries have Liverpool had over the last couple of years? The front 3 were always fit, 3 of the first choice back 4 were always fit, and I don't remember too many injuries to your first choice midfield either

Luck's caught up with you now though

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Rubbish! I remember the year City just pipped us to the title in 2012 we had used nearly 40 players and it was only January. Vidic missed the majority of the season, as did Fletcher, Rafael and about half of the bloody squad.
I remember that season it was ridiculous. Ferguson was some manager. Hopefully Klopp is in the same vein and can galvanise the rest of the side having your two main CB’s out for the season is terribly unlucky and your most injury prone one as the only fit one and who’s only completed 2 90 mins in 13 months.