Joe Rothwell

FromTheBench

He's such a all round player. Running with the ball and driblling a bit were welcome additions to his game last season.

Hope he now adds more goals this season.

Was interesting how he was training and travelling more with the first team last season than Pearson ever did. Fletcher, Phil Neville amongst others praised him publicly. Scholes has before as well before IIRC.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Would hope he can get a decent loan spell in this season.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
As with Wilson, the most important thing for him this season is staying fit. If he does he'll continue to develop no matter where he is. I'd keep him around until January and reassess then.

Brightonian

Given one wish for United's future (other than, y'know, success), I'd like to see Rothwell and Pearson as our first-team CM partnership by the time they're 25. They're without a doubt the most formidably talented pairing I've seen in all the years I've been watching the reserves. And they work so beautifully together, very complementary styles.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Seen he's been given the #46 squad number. Great news that he is in the list of players to get a number and hopefully it means van Gaal has been impressed with him and been given good reports on him. Was fantastic last season I thought and would really like to see him get a chance this season.

Sweet Square

Seen he's been given the #46 squad number. Great news that he is in the list of players to get a number and hopefully it means van Gaal has been impressed with him and been given good reports on him. Was fantastic last season I thought and would really like to see him get a chance this season.
Was give a squad number last season as well by Moyes so as you said hopefully this means Van Gaal is impressed. Would love for him to get game time,he's all round game is pretty prefect.

By the end of the season there could potentially be a match day squad with 3 or 4 youth players in it.

FromTheBench

He was given a squad number by Moyes last season and just is on the list since then like all the other players who had squad numbers.

He and Wilson have just changed their numbers for some reason but even Petrucci is there as he has a number from before.

Sweet Square

He was given a squad number by Moyes last season and just is on the list since then like all the other players who had squad numbers.

He and Wilson have just changed their numbers for some reason but even Petrucci is there as he has a number from before.
:(

Juan't Mata

Was give a squad number last season as well by Moyes so as you said hopefully this means Van Gaal is impressed. Would love for him to get game time,he's all round game is pretty prefect.

By the end of the season there could potentially be a match day squad with 3 or 4 youth players in it.
Even on Saturday there'll be James, Blackett, Evans, Keane, Cleverly, Fletcher, Welbeck, Januzaj,Amos
in the squad - nine players from the youth system. Brilliant.

Brightonian

We have a midfield problem, and both Pearson and Rothwell are looking very much ready for a step up. If there's a top coach in world football who might put that two and two together then it's surely Van Gaal.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We have a midfield problem, and both Pearson and Rothwell are looking very much ready for a step up. If there's a top coach in world football who might put that two and two together then it's surely Van Gaal.
Get it done....fecking hell it can't be any worse than what we have seen the last 12 months

londonredmaniac

And Pearson in particular plays the exact position and role that we need someone in.
My only worry with Pearson is he might find red cards easy to pick up at senior level.

That being said I'd sooner have him in the side than Fletch I'm afraid. I'm a big fan of what Darren brings as well...but we can't afford passengers. Not now.

Brightonian

My only worry with Pearson is he might find red cards easy to pick up at senior level.

That being said I'd sooner have him in the side than Fletch I'm afraid. I'm a big fan of what Darren brings as well...but we can't afford passengers. Not now.
And Fletch isn't even the weakest CM option. Surely both Rothwell and Pearson are better options to have there than Cleverley at the moment? And that's coming from one of the hardiest Cleverley fans on the whole forum.

londonredmaniac

And Fletch isn't even the weakest CM option. Surely both Rothwell and Pearson are better options to have there than Cleverley at the moment? And that's coming from one of the hardiest Cleverley fans on the whole forum.
Clev really has gone backwards at a rate of knotts. Yes they are better options. Clev has zero confidence left.

Fazer

I have not seen Rothwell at all, so how does he compare with Tom Lawrence?
Do they play in the same position and which one of them have a better chance of
getting a foot in the first team?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I have not seen Rothwell at all, so how does he compare with Tom Lawrence?
Do they play in the same position and which one of them have a better chance of
getting a foot in the first team?
Lawrence can play advanced down either flank or as a 9 or 10 just off the front.

Rothwell is centre mid who looks to get forward.

londonredmaniac

Very different positions and players. Rothwell plays alot deeper than you would ever see Lawrence.

I'd say Rothwell or Pearson would have better chances...because Tom Lawrence is behind quite a few very good players.

Fazer

Lawrence can play advanced down either flank or as a 9 or 10 just off the front.

Rothwell is centre mid who looks to get forward.
Very different positions and players. Rothwell plays alot deeper than you would ever see Lawrence.

I'd say Rothwell or Pearson would have better chances...because Tom Lawrence is behind quite a few very good players.
So Rothwell and Pearson both play in the positions where we are sorely lacking in quality I guess.
With that in mind, I hope LVG gives them a chance to show what they can do in games where
we are comfortably ahead, or is that kind of jumping the gun?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
So Rothwell and Pearson both play in the positions where we are sorely lacking in quality I guess.
With that in mind, I hope LVG gives them a chance to show what they can do in games where
we are comfortably ahead, or is that kind of jumping the gun?
Personally I don't think it matters if we are ahead or not, In fact I think that is counter productive to a young players development. Trust them, start them, they will repay the faith.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Starting for U21s - won't be involved Sunday then :(