Joel Glazer sets fan forum date (4th June)

stw2022

I hope the debt is thoroughly discussed. It's only there because of how they took over the club. Any additional spending to appease the fans simply adds to the debt of the club.

If they want to get fans onside, then they need to put in their own money, or sell shares to clear the debt, not line their own pockets like the last 16 years.
I'd rather they sold shares to raise money to invest in stadium. Not a criticism of you but I think there's a lot of ignorance over how 'bad' the debt actually is. Ideally it wouldn't be there at all but I think there's still a hangover from the Andy Green/MUST campaign days where they terrified us the bailiffs were about to knock at the door any time soon.

The ground is more urgent than the need to pay off what has proven to be a perfectly manageable, but certainly not ideal, debt burden.

Red_toad

I hope the debt is thoroughly discussed. It's only there because of how they took over the club. Any additional spending to appease the fans simply adds to the debt of the club.

If they want to get fans onside, then they need to put in their own money, or sell shares to clear the debt, not line their own pockets like the last 16 years.
Thats just a massive issue. Fans expecting them to spend and knowing full well it’ll only increase the debt is just a vicious circle. We’re no Real with a dodgy way of selling property at massively inflated prices to help with debt. Under the current owners they’ve shown zero interest is any long term plan, just let the stadium rot and buy players as needed as long as they get their slice of profits.

croadyman

Stadium regeneration should be top of the list.

We've thrown good money after bad at the team so I don't see how criticism in that regard can stick but the neglect of the stadium has been a disgrace.
Yeah this has to be the first thing that's get brought up by the fan forum but got a horrible feeling it will be transfers

Matriac

How would that work...? The transfer window isn't open.
You can sign players any time of the year, you just can't file the paperwork to make the transfer between clubs legal so they are eligble to play for the new club outside of the defined transfer windows.

So it normally only happens with players who either have a buyout clause or is out of contract.

We could announce that we have an agreement in place for a transfer to take effect as soon as the window opens even if the above doesn't apply, but it does rarely happen unless both clubs easily agrees on fees and whatnot. Each side wants to squeeze as much as possible out of the deals.

Flying high

I'd rather they sold shares to raise money to invest in stadium. Not a criticism of you but I think there's a lot of ignorance over how 'bad' the debt actually is. Ideally it wouldn't be there at all but I think there's still a hangover from the Andy Green/MUST campaign days where they terrified us the bailiffs were about to knock at the door any time soon.

The ground is more urgent than the need to pay off what has proven to be a perfectly manageable, but certainly not ideal, debt burden.
That's partly what I meant by extra spending. Them paying off their debt, would mean the club could choose to take on debt to invest more in the squad or infrastructure without it reaching even more crazy levels.

Counterfactual

You can sign players any time of the year, you just can't file the paperwork to make the transfer between clubs legal so they are eligble to play for the new club outside of the defined transfer windows.

So it normally only happens with players who either have a buyout clause or is out of contract.

We could announce that we have an agreement in place for a transfer to take effect as soon as the window opens even if the above doesn't apply, but it does rarely happen unless both clubs easily agrees on fees and whatnot. Each side wants to squeeze as much as possible out of the deals.
Thanks for the info. I guess pre-announcing deals is asking for trouble, unless it's legally watertight.

RedDevilRoshi

Everyone is focussed on Joel but the biggest problem will be the people asking the questions.

I spent decades setting up community fora for local govt schemes and the most vocal become all "professional" in meetings with officials. If anyone has seen eddie Murphy's stand up it's basically his mate in court type of thing.

That said I hope Joel is honest. If people say are you selling the club he should tell them to feck off and stop wasting questions. If they say why didn't you buy Sancho for 120m same response or this ain't Monopoly money son type of thing.

Repairs to OT and future plans and what they have in mind is fair enough questions. Even the ESL and wtf were you thinking fine. Ole and his future fair enough, albeit he would probably want to discuss that with Ole first rather than Ole hearing it in this meeting.
I think someone at the club will have already briefed Joel on the sort of questions that are going to be coming his way and no doubt he will have done his homework in preparation. He won’t go in not knowing what to expect.

Questions such as the stadium, the debt, project big picture/ESL, lack of communication with the fans, the way the club has been run been run behind the scenes and performing on the pitch post Sir Alex, poor decision making from the top when it comes to recruitment and negotiating. A lot of things that are wrong and falling apart at the club will no doubt be fired right at him.

I hope there is a good, constructive discussion in this meeting but I think the fans will have every right to vent anger at Joel too. He can’t be given a free ride, no way.

My main concern however is that Joel can do all this typical politicians spiel by saying we need to do this, we need to do that and we have to make changes and improvements on this, that and the other as well. Anyone can talk a good game. The question for me should be how is he and the club going to go about it? When are we aiming to achieve this goal? How is he going to and what is his aim to turn the sour relationship with the fans around and get them on his side and again how is he going to go about it and when should we expect to see his plans come to fruition or even some major progress made? Basically how is he going to go about it on what he wants to achieve on the back of this meeting?

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who will attend the fans forum? How will it take place? I'm curious.

Yorke to Cole

Various members of the MUST, who represent different sectors of support, such as regular match day goers, over 65's, disability sector, executive members club, season ticket holders, local resident supporters etc.

GiddyUp

Various members of the MUST, who represent different sectors of support, such as regular match day goers, over 65's, disability sector, executive members club, season ticket holders, local resident supporters etc.
No caf match day thread fans???

Coops73

I suspect things will be promised to placate but very little will be done thereafter, hope I’m wrong but....

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Put it this way, If Joel Glazer isn’t prepared to go out and sign Harry Kane and anyone else that’s nailed on world class this summer, after all that’s gone on, he’s basically never really going to give us that kind of summer unless we fall out of the CL again maybe. We will get Sancho and that’ll be the main transfer and that’s fair enough but we are making a meal out of this rebuild. Liquidate the squad that doesn’t get used. It’s a lot of money. I’m intrigued to see what Murtough and fletcher have come up with and hope Joel doesn’t mess up their plans or stall their negotiations. I hope to see us keep cutting players.

The stadium is a deal breaker

Fans need to take some power back and the glazers eventually need to reduce the debt. It’s a perfect marriage of interests. Glazers hopefully let something like this happen but I’m not holding my breath.

It’s just going to be generic apologies and vague promises while they hope things die down.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Cheers. So not a closed meeting. Or at least all the info will be public.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ah tomorrow's the day, now all those rumours about tomorrow being Sancho day all make sense :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Will there be a live stream? Or just live updates from the journos attending?

red4ever 79

Couldnt even be bothered to turn up for the Europa final, unlike Roman for Chelsea and the Leicester owner for their FA Cup win. Shows how disconnected these parastites are.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Will there be a live stream? Or just live updates from the journos attending?
I don't think there will be any journos attending and no live stream - 11 members of the Fans Forum (the list of these members is available online) and then whoever from the club (Joel Glazer, Woodward, Arnold etc)

Minutes will be published but usually takes a while - I expect we will see some info from the fans who attend later today

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I don’t know what people are expecting from this. It’s purely a publicity stunt and he’ll have been told what to say for each specific question type. It’ll be like listening to a politician bumble on and not actually answering any of the questions.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hope there are more questions about the lack of spending on infrastructure rather than player acquisitions.

wolvored

It will be an hand picked group, given a dos and donts questions that can be talked about, you can bet.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Cheers for the answers Adnan and Rood.

The unfortunate probable outcome is a bunch of pr speak that sounds good but no firm commitments. We need some solid concessions or things could get worse for the glazers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It will be an hand picked group, given a dos and donts questions that can be talked about, you can bet.
That's seemingly is not the case here..

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's partly what I meant by extra spending. Them paying off their debt, would mean the club could choose to take on debt to invest more in the squad or infrastructure without it reaching even more crazy levels.
Their debt? They don't have any :(

Lemansky

Beginning to start negotiating on a player we’ve known the price of for a year :lol: Woody and the transfer committee are a meme in real life.
Are you serious? Of course we gonna negotiate the price on a player. There are no fixed prices in football (if not concrete release fees).Woody would not do his job if he did not negotiate and try getting us the best deal possible.