John McGinn

Paddyreus

Another midfielder? Does anyone realise that we need central defenders?

VanAlden

Not sure if he's Utd quality but it'd depend on how he blended with the rest of the midfield.

To my mind what we really need is a purely destructive midfield player. Is Ole looking at Dalot for that role now we've signed AWB?
He's nowhere near it. Unless standards have plummeted way lower than I thought. McGinn is a blood and snotters type player.

Nickosaur

I wonder if at that price we should see how he handles the PL first. If he absolutely tears it up, he might cost an extra 10m? Probably worth it to wait and see.

Litch

I'm all for thinking out the box but now the press have got a whiff of it, their be fecking linking us with all sorts of stuff.....

settembrini

I saw a few Villa games last season and McGinn was always impressive. Him and Grealish were the Championship equivalent of De Bruyne and Silva.

£50m seems far too much though.

RedNed77

I reckon even at £50m it will be have better odds of being a successful transfer than Bruno Fernandes at the same price. He seems to have a good mixture of scrap and skill, the fact that he won the fans and players player of the year awards over Grealish (spurs want) & Tuanzebe (2nd coming of Beckenbauer for half the CAF) says quite a lot about him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Feels like they are just working down the order of players available for that position. They've probably been turned down for Rice, Ndidi and Gueye as West Ham, Everton and Leicester don't want to sell.

McGinn seems the next one on the list. Villa will surely ask for Tuanzebe if this goes anywhere though.

Pennywise

McGinn would confirm the club have lost it. Nowhere near Utd quality. I'd imagine its complete bollocks

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Watched him a fair bit for Hibs before he moved to Villa. Almost went to Celtic before Villa and was surprised he didn't get a move to the premier league. Do not think he's right for a team with aspirations to challenge for titles. For a mid table PL team or a rotation option for the top 6 he'd be worth a gamble for 20-30M. Certainly not a 50M player.

RedNed77

McGinn would confirm the club have lost it. Nowhere near Utd quality. I'd imagine its complete bollocks
Why is he not of sufficient quality for us? Is it because he's been playing for a championship level team and came from Hibs before that? Keane got relegated with Forest havng signed from Cobh Ramblers? I and most United fans didnt know that much about him when we signed him, and had the internet have been around Im sure everybody would have been saying it was a lack of ambition and we should have been signing Maradona/Rivaldo/Boban rather than Keane.

Watched him a fair bit for Hibs before he moved to Villa. Almost went to Celtic before Villa and was surprised he didn't get a move to the premier league. Do not think he's right for a team with aspirations to challenge for titles. For a mid table PL team or a rotation option for the top 6 he'd be worth a gamble for 20-30M. Certainly not a 50M player.
Players can be brought in on this basis and grow with the increased talent around him, even if he just remains a good rotation option, nothing wrong with that as we are light in midfield.

People keep clamouring for Fernandes, a man who at the same age has also only had one stand out season with much mediocrity following before. I'd back the birtish player over the european when it comes to chances of success (In the PL) when they are both starting off an equal footing. Is the Portugese league really that much stronger than the Championship when you move past Benfica/SCP/Porto?

Yes I do think £50m is too much, but it was also too much for Wan Bissaka, doesnt mean it wont necessarily end up being worth it in the long run.

Edit: clarity and words

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why is he not of sufficient quality for us? Is it because he's been playing for a championship level team and came from Hibs before that? Keane got relegated with Forest havng signed from Cobh Ramblers? I and most United fans didnt know that much about him when we signed him, and had the internet have been around Im sure everybody would have been saying it was a lack of ambition and we should have been signing Maradona/Rivaldo/Boban rather than Keane.

Players can be brought in on this basis and grow with the increased talent around him, even if he just remains a good rotation option, nothing wrong with that as we are light in midfield.

People keep clamouring for Fernandes, a man who at the same age has also only had one stand out season with much mediocrity following before. I'd back the birtish player over the european when it comes to chances of success when they are both starting off an equal footing. Is the Portugese league really that much stronger than the Championship when you move past Benfica/SCP/Porto?

Yes I do think £50m is too much, but it was also too much for Wan Bissaka, doesnt mean it wont necessarily end up being worth it in the long run.
Wrong. *Trump Gif*

Pennywise

Players can be brought in on this basis and grow with the increased talent around him.

People keep clamouring for Fernandes, a man who at the same age has also only had one stand out season with much mediocrity following before. I'd back the birtish player over the european when it comes to chances of success when they are both starting off an equal footing. Is the Portugese league really that much stronger than the Championship when you move past Benfica/SCP/Porto?

No not for me. I'm from Scotland and have seen McGinn from his St Mirren days. He's progressed from then in to a very decent player. He is not anywhere near good enough for us though and has been a huge disappointment at international level. We're trying first and foremost to get back in to the top 4 he simply wont help us get there.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Think this may be another 'British therefore United interested' stories, good player though he is, not proven in the Prem. Would much rather sign Maddison.

Walters_19_MuFc

Have been very impressed with him. Attributes that really stands out for me is his energy and ability to drive with the ball.

RedNed77

No not for me. I'm from Scotland and have seen McGinn from his St Mirren days. He's progressed from then in to a very decent player. He is not anywhere near good enough for us though and has been a huge disappointment at international level. We're trying first and foremost to get back in to the top 4 he simply wont help us get there.
Fair enough, I'll bow to your greater knowledge of him as i certainly wouldnt profess to have an in depth knowledge of him. Who do you want who you can genuinely say you've seen a lot of (not scoutnation vids on YT), know they will improve us and think we can realstically obtain then?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Hands up, one decent season and a great one. Both in the Portugese league. Nothing before it.
The guy is 24? Before those two very good seasons he was 21/22. How can you judge a player on anything he does at that age?

RedNed77

The guy is 24? Before those two very good seasons he was 21/22. How can you judge a player on anything he does at that age?
I think it can inform your opinion of a player, but this thread isnt the Fernandes one. Suffice to say in my opinion, if we're taking punts I'll take this lad over Fernandes every day of the week. We know this lad won't suffer with acclimatisation amongst other issues.

Pennywise

Fair enough, I'll bow to your greater knowledge of him as i certainly wouldnt profess to have an in depth knowledge of him. Who do you want who you can genuinely say you've seen a lot of (not scoutnation vids on YT), know they will improve us and think we can realstically obtain then?
All about opinions mate. Like I say I've seen him play live a huge number of times and on TV and just dont think he's at the level required. Nothing would make me happier than to see a Scottish player that is good enough to play for us coming through. As to who we sign it's a good question, a lot depends on what the budget really is and if we're signing players to accommodate pogba or if we're punting him

RedNed77

All about opinions mate. Like I say I've seen him play live a huge number of times and on TV and just dont think he's at the level required. Nothing would make me happier than to see a Scottish player that is good enough to play for us coming through. As to who we sign it's a good question, a lot depends on what the budget really is and if we're signing players to accommodate pogba or if we're punting him
Agreed bud, it is opinions so let me come at it from another angle. Do you think he has the potential to be as good as Jordan Henderson, Harry Winks/Dier, RLC/Kovacic? I dont personally think we have to sign players who are the best in the world in their positions. We need players who are competent (which i think the ones i've used above are), who are without ego so will sacrifice elements of their preferred game to improve the whole and who will provide bite in the midfield and not go missing when it starts going wrong. The only two midfielders we have who fit that criteria at the moment are McTominay and Herrera. Herrera leaves tomorrow. Would you say that McGinn ticks any of the above boxes or not?

Roario

Bruno Fernandes scored 16 goals and had 19 assists in the 17/18 season.
To call him a one season wonder would be stretching it at this point.

Ace of Spades

First, this is a rumour from the sun, so that itself means it is highly likely bollocks, and even if we were to try and buy him, we won't pay 50m for him. No one will, cheaper and better options elsewhere.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is he a good replacement for Ander?
I think so.

McGinn would play that box to box role Ander was, but McGinn has different strengths. Defensively, he gets stuck in and covers a lot of ground, but isn't as good Ander. Offensively, I think he could end up as a improvement. His ball retention and shielding of the ball under pressure is very good, can dribble well, has a good pass on him, pretty creative, and is a goal threat with good long range strikes and the way he makes deep runs into the box.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Another midfielder? Does anyone realise that we need central defenders?
We’ve lost 2 midfielders in 2019 already, one of them was a starter too, it’s very clear we need midfielders every bit as much as defenders.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think so.

McGinn would play that box to box role Ander was, but McGinn has different strengths. Defensively, he gets stuck in and covers a lot of ground, but isn't as good Ander. Offensively, I think he could end up as a improvement. His ball retention and shielding of the ball under pressure is very good, can dribble well, has a good pass on him, pretty creative, and is a goal threat with good long range strikes and the way he makes deep runs into the box.
Pretty much spot on.

I'm trying to avoid this thread like the plague tbh.:lol:

McGinn is similar to what Milner was with us. We played him centrally and it was like having two midfielders in there with the ground he covered, McGinn is similar and he can pop up with goals/assists.

I actually thought around 2010 Milner would've been a great pick up for Man. United. Fergie always loved players who had great workrate in midfield and think Milner would've done similar job for you that Park Ji Sung did for many years, either centrally or out wide where he mainly played for Man. City.

Would be ridiculous for us to sell him for any price though, he's in the category with Grealish of simply not for sale this summer imo. It would be like Wolves this time last year just cashing in on Ruben Neves. Instead they kept him, added 3-4 quality players around him and finished 7th.

Not saying we'll be close to that position but a good DM, McGinn and Grealish is mid table premier league midfield so it's the easiest base to build around to get us being a competitive top half premier league side again in the long run.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ha, sorry, @FootballHQ :angel:

Honestly, I'm fine with him staying at Villa even though I'd love him here just because I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Grealish (along with Hourihane?) match up against PL midfields. I think they'll do pretty well!

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of El Ghazi. His demeanour on the ball and style really remind me of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hughie77

I only seen him in 3 games, playoffs, and Final, he had a good game in two of them, I don't see him at UTD, he gets around the pitch a lot, but Fred can do that as well, can't see an improvement in our squad if he's bought.?

Think there's more need for a better player, than what we have, could be wrong , think there better options out there and £ 50 million no way!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ha, sorry, @FootballHQ :angel:

Honestly, I'm fine with him staying at Villa even though I'd love him here just because I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Grealish (along with Hourihane?) match up against PL midfields. I think they'll do pretty well!

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of El Ghazi. His demeanour on the ball and style really remind me of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Nah wasn't aimed at you as you're one of the few on here who've actually watched him play. ;)

Hourihane and Jota will be back ups, we'll get a DM in although main link is with Kalvin Phillips from Leeds for about 20m. :nervous: Is he really that good? Certainly an area though where if we get DM right it's a comfortable mid table premier league midfield.

El Ghazi had weird season. Looked a pub player up to xmas, then had some great games before playing poorly again up to start of March. As soon as Jack came back he was great in the run in.

Very direct wide player who runs at full backs head on and not a bad crosser. Certainly improving with coaching on the training pitch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nah wasn't aimed at you as you're one of the few on here who've actually watched him play. ;)

Hourihane and Jota will be back ups, we'll get a DM in although main link is with Kalvin Phillips from Leeds for about 20m. :nervous: Is he really that good? Certainly an area though where if we get DM right it's a comfortable mid table premier league midfield.

El Ghazi had weird season. Looked a pub player up to xmas, then had some great games before playing poorly again up to start of March. As soon as Jack came back he was great in the run in.

Very direct wide player who runs at full backs head on and not a bad crosser. Certainly improving with coaching on the training pitch.
I watched Leeds quite a bit as well last season (mainly due to being interested in what Bielsa was going to come up with!) and I did like the look of Phillips myself. I think he'd be a good signing, and a midfield 3 of him, Grealish and McGinn, to me, sounds pretty good!

I've just seen you've signed El Ghazi permanently. Nice! Looking forward to watching him next season.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
John McGinn ? Really, Manchester United.

If so the club has lost its way big time.