John McGinn

red4ever 79

I think we are going to see more and more links with this guy the closer we get to the winter window, so he's deserving of his own thread.

Today we were linked to him via Fergie, who has a relationship with McGinns grandfather, a former SFA chairman I believe.
To be honest i would rather SAF stay away. I am beginning to wonder how much influence he had in Ole coming in back in December which was completely out of the blue. Plus there was the Moyes fiasco.

Bwuk

Jesus, will people stop wanking over this guy. He’s not actually that good.
He’d walk into our side. I agree he’s not worth what he’d cost, but he’s much better than Fred or Matic.

Robbie Boy

He’d walk into our side. I agree he’s not worth what he’d cost, but he’s much better than Fred or Matic.
Problem is, there are a shit tonne of players better than what we have, but they’re nowhere near good enough to take us where we want to be. Unfortunately our players are - for the best part - pretty substandard, bar the odd few. We’re in real danger of ‘buying better than we have’ yet still being left with an underwhelming squad that isn’t going to challenge.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Gareth Barry would probably walk into our current side, doesn't mean we should sign him too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's overrated on here but he's a good player. I love his work rate and he has the tenacity of his fellow countryman Robertson in terms of willing to bust a gut for the team in every situation. Lampard-esque in the way he runs into the box from midfield. He's Lampard-lite.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Longstaff and mcginn would really help us avoid the relegation zone.

AkaAkuma

He's overrated on here but he's a good player. I love his work rate and he has the tenacity of his fellow countryman Robertson in terms of willing to bust a gut for the team in every situation. Lampard-esque in the way he runs into the box from midfield. He's Lampard-lite.
I think he is underrated more than anything, which is down to a over inflated market value.

Most people see him as a good player.

Champagne Football

The general feeling on here last April was that after the summer transfer window, we'd have sewn up Kai Havertz and Declan Rice as our new central midfield pairing.

If someone had told you Scott McT and Matic/Andreas would be our CM pairing then you'd have laughed.

McT has since proved he might just be good enough for us as a box to box bulldog. John McGinn is cut of the same cloth only considerably ahead of Scott in his technical development. McGinn would fill a gaping hole we have in the team. He's not world class but neither was Gary Nevill, Fletcher, Hargreaves etc. But often a workhorse with the right mental attitude is better than a world class talent with a bad attitude - Pogba/Di Maria etc

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The general feeling on here last April was that after the summer transfer window, we'd have sewn up Kai Havertz and Declan Rice as our new central midfield pairing.

If someone had told you Scott McT and Matic/Andreas would be our CM pairing then you'd have laughed.

McT has since proved he might just be good enough for us as a box to box bulldog. John McGinn is cut of the same cloth only considerably ahead of Scott in his technical development. McGinn would fill a gaping hole we have in the team. He's not world class but neither was Gary Nevill, Fletcher, Hargreaves etc. But often a workhorse with the right mental attitude is better than a world class talent with a bad attitude - Pogba/Di Maria etc
You see I always felt you should've signed Milner in that 2010 period when your central midfield started to decline a bit in Fergie's final seasons. He had outstanding season for us playing central midfield (won YPOTY in 2010). Went to Man. City and now Liverpool and done solid jobs but I always felt he could've done more in central midfield.

At those clubs he basically did the job Park Ji Sung did for you, working up and down one of the flanks.

Anyway McGinn isn't going anywhere until the summer but if we go down he will be available. McGinn imo is cut from same cloth as Milner in that period.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think we are going to see more and more links with this guy the closer we get to the winter window, so he's deserving of his own thread.

Today we were linked to him via Fergie, who has a relationship with McGinns grandfather, a former SFA chairman I believe.
No chance he leaves in January.

We should be all over him, though. He has everything. Can defend, can score screamers, can get himself in the box to bury chances, has a good passing range, is creative with his passing, can dribble, can hold onto the ball and resist pressing opposition....

Like I said before the season began - he'll end up as one of the leagues best midfielders in no time. I'm not surprised whatsoever by how well he's started his career in the PL. Like a duck to water!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He made a wise decision to ignore approaches from Celtic and Rangers when he was at Hibs. He’s just got better and better. I’d be delighted if we got him

Devil may care

Longstaff and mcginn would really help us avoid the relegation zone.
:lol: We don't have a scouting department we just have someone we hired from Gatwick who checked passports for a living, just add Rice puddin' to the mix and be done with it!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol: We don't have a scouting department we just have someone we hired from Gatwick who checked passports for a living, just add Rice puddin' to the mix and be done with it!
Bring Danny Rashy v0. 0 Welbeck and we'll have our team of hungry guys

To think we used to find gems from anywhere from Norway to the Soviet Union. It really makes you cry

MrBrightside1989

Good player but I watched him and mctominay playing for Scotland together and they were mince!

Devil may care

Bring Danny Rashy v0. 0 Welbeck and we'll have our team of hungry guys

To think we used to find gems from anywhere from Norway to the Soviet Union. It really makes you cry
Is Scott Parker still playing? Proper English lad, run through walls for the gaffer!

Yeah, it's like the fact we had players such as Vidic, Evra and Ronaldo in our last great side is forgotten, the last time we won a league was when Fergie treat himself to RvP despite his age and injury record, it's fine buying someone like Sancho, that is like buying a young Rooney or Owen type of talent, but we seem to just be prioritising the country of birth over everything, there's no way this guy, Rice and Longstaff are the best CM options out there and they are going to cost a bomb.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good player but I watched him and mctominay playing for Scotland together and they were mince!
Everyone is rubbish for Scotland, Andy Robertson also looks a pub defender.

I do think McGinn struggles a little bit more with slower paced nature of international level. He's very much a box to box midfielder and premier league is ideal with end to end nature of that.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Everyone is rubbish for Scotland, Andy Robertson also looks a pub defender.

I do think McGinn struggles a little bit more with slower paced nature of international level. He's very much a box to box midfielder and premier league is ideal with end to end nature of that.
That's because he is.

AkaAkuma

You see I always felt you should've signed Milner in that 2010 period when your central midfield started to decline a bit in Fergie's final seasons. He had outstanding season for us playing central midfield (won YPOTY in 2010). Went to Man. City and now Liverpool and done solid jobs but I always felt he could've done more in central midfield.

At those clubs he basically did the job Park Ji Sung did for you, working up and down one of the flanks.

Anyway McGinn isn't going anywhere until the summer but if we go down he will be available. McGinn imo is cut from same cloth as Milner in that period.
How much do you think he'd be available for?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He made a wise decision to ignore approaches from Celtic and Rangers when he was at Hibs. He’s just got better and better. I’d be delighted if we got him
I like him as well and pretty much watch him week in week out. Technically he’s solid and work rate is top notch.

He would fit well as a squad player in this Liverpool side IMO but he’s good enough to start for us right now.. whether he’s the best we can get is another question but worth a punt for sure.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let's just buy him and get on with it. He'd be a Herrera replacement for the 433.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Then we may as well see Mctominay. We don't need our midfielder made out of Fletcher types.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Then we may as well see Mctominay. We don't need our midfielder made out of Fletcher types.
McGinn, imo, will end up far better than Fletcher.

I've already listed McGinn's strengths in this thread, and, imo, he will end up as one of the leagues best midfielders rather sharpish. As impressive an all round CM I've seen in quite a while.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
McGinn, imo, will end up far better than Fletcher.

I've already listed McGinn's strengths in this thread, and, imo, he will end up as one of the leagues best midfielders rather sharpish. As impressive an all round CM I've seen in quite a while.
That's really high praise. I should pay more attention to this player.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Problem is, there are a shit tonne of players better than what we have, but they’re nowhere near good enough to take us where we want to be. Unfortunately our players are - for the best part - pretty substandard, bar the odd few. We’re in real danger of ‘buying better than we have’ yet still being left with an underwhelming squad that isn’t going to challenge.
This is exactly what I said about Maguire in the summer but I was shouted down by a lot of people.

Seb burrow

I’ve seen this guy play a few times and he’s brilliant. work rate and desire is second to none. And he’s got a hell of a shot on him.

His terrier like ability is defo what we’re missing

Bestietom

Everyone talking about Greelish. I'd take this guy any day of the week before him. A tenacious midfielder with a great deal of skill ta boot. He'd slot into our midfield no doubt and would be a great replacement for Herrera. Views on him!
Yes I've watched him every time Villa have been shown on TV including MOTD. and he has been great for them. A goalscoring Herrera.??

MrBrightside1989

A fletcher type player is a must have in a top midfield, he was a good player and brought lots to the team as well as his work rate and cover. I don't think mcginn is really that type of player- mctominay yes!
As a Scot I would be delighted if they had a successful club partnership to transfer to internationals but I dont think they will ever be a good enough pairing to win silverware. I hope I'm wrong!

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is exactly what I said about Maguire in the summer but I was shouted down by a lot of people.
I'll still shout you down! :p

Signing, imo, the 2nd best CB in the league is a huge step in rebuilding our shoddy backline.
Yes I've watched him every time Villa have been shown on TV including MOTD. and he has been great for them. A goalscoring Herrera.??
He has different strengths than Herrera.

Herrera was great defensively - tackling, reading the game, intercepting, etc, and was a bit limited on the ball but decent enough. McGinn, whilst being able to contribute defensively, is much better on the ball. He can dribble, resist pressing opposition with good strength on the ball, the ability to do those 180 turns whilst keeping the ball under control and shielding from the opposition to get out of tight spots, has a good passing range and is creative with it, whilst being a goal threat himself.