John McGinn

'The big clubs can come calling but they’ll get a short, swift reply! He’s a player we want here at Aston Villa’
That's a quote from Villas manager, he'd probably be a difficult player to bring in.
I'm sure we can send round the heavies (SAF) to have a word.

I did, yes, and he was brilliant.

Back during the transfer window before any PL games, I was already advocating signing him. Even for the reported £50 million. He was that impressive.

I said this before he made a single PL appearance:

Safe to say I'm not surprised by how well he's doing. He just has it.
You were pretty much spot on! Good to know it's not just a purple patch we're seeing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I did, yes, and he was brilliant.

Back during the transfer window before any PL games, I was already advocating signing him. Even for the reported £50 million. He was that impressive.

I said this before he made a single PL appearance:

Safe to say I'm not surprised by how well he's doing. He just has it.
Fair shout that.

I think it's fair to say the championship is as close to PL level that it's ever been.

If a player stands out there, it's a good chance they'll be OK in the premier league also.

Mcginn's style would fit us really well.

A9X SJ

He's stepped up the levels well since his move from Hibs

Celtic should have stopped being tight fisted & paid the fee Hibs demanded as he would have slotted in well at Celtic then sold for a large profit

ash_86

He would be a excellent signing for us. Has enough technique and grit to become a excellent midfielder.

prateik

McGinn and McT behind Pogba.. Yeah.. can see that working.

Pay up Woody..

Champagne Football

I like McGinn but give your head a wobble mate
I'm referring to players with ability who will die for the jersey, as opposed to players with ability who can't be bothered. Mind you, Scott McT was awesome yesterday. He's untouchable now and the first name on the team-sheet.

RooneyLegend

Blended in with the grass for most of the match against Brighton so im suprised by the recent activity. Grealish is where its at. I'll add that im not sure he gets used the best way he can. Im convinced alot of the villa players have another level in them cause their coach simply isn't up to par. They have alot of interesting players from an ability standpoint.

RooneyLegend

Dean Smith has been their best manager in a number of years
Now obviously im comparing him to top level coaches. He's in the prem no so comparing to whoever coached at Villa before is no good. Potter is much better than him imo.

Based Adnan

He will move on to a top 6 club sooner or later. Hope we're in for him when that is the case. Was skeptical if he could carry on his form from last season into the prem but he's been top class.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Now obviously im comparing him to top level coaches. He's in the prem no so comparing to whoever coached at Villa before is no good. Potter is much better than him imo.
They haven't been out of the PL that long

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Re: upgrade on pogba, he would probably consistently play better for us than pogba. I guess in the ethereal, training competitions or 3 games a season he wouldn't technically be an upgrade
He could play with Pogba.

McTominey hasn't done too badly in the box to box role this season from what I've seen but McGinn would be an upgrade.

Obviously not saying he's anywhere near that level yet but the way he times his runs into the box is Lampard esque. Many years ago Frank was just a decent prospect at West Ham and Chelsea took a chance on him and it worked pretty well in the long run.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Is this exciting? Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be good for us but 3 interceptions is not exactly conclusive evidence of that!
He finished the game on 3. Trezeguet made 4.

In West Ham v Sheffield United Oliver Norwood made 3 and was substituted after 62 minutes. Chris Basham made 4 for the Blades, Zabaleta 3 for West Ham.

Diego Rico and Jefferson Lerma made 3 each for Bournemouth against Watford.

Brighton's Dan Burn made 4 today, Dale Stephens 5. Djibril Sidibe and Tom Davies 3 each for Everton, Michael Keane 4.

Based Adnan

Was unlucky not to score today. Hit the post once and forced a good save from Ederson as well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I get why people want him but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need. He seems to thrive when he has space, and against the better teams that's fine. What we need is someone who can operate in right spaces.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I get why people want him but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need. He seems to thrive when he has space, and against the better teams that's fine. What we need is someone who can operate in right spaces.
I actually disagree, hard work, composure and a bit of ability is exactly what we need in the middle of the park right now. Much more than a dope with loads of ability IMO.

ivaldo

I actually disagree, hard work, composure and a bit of ability is exactly what we need in the middle of the park right now. Much more than a dope with loads of ability IMO.
We need more than a bit of ability on the ball. We need a lot of it. He can bring all the hard work he wants (see McTominay) when we can’t unlock a stubborn defence it’s all for naught. We are desperate for craft not graft in our midfield right now.

TwoSheds

We need more than a bit of ability on the ball. We need a lot of it. He can bring all the hard work he wants (see McTominay) when we can’t unlock a stubborn defence it’s all for naught. We are desperate for craft not graft in our midfield right now.
He's better than McTominay though. Better passer. He'd be our best midfielder if he came.

Ekeke

I think the truth is we need some of what McGinn has, but also some of what Grealish has. McGinn is all action, wins the ball, attacks and gets shots away. Grealish is the one who passes the ball around a lot, helping to control the tempo and picks players out in dangerous areas leading to shots.

So you might say we should just sign Villa's midfield... Problem is, City's midfield walked all over it. So given how much it would cost, to then have a midfield that the top teams dominate anyway cant be something we're aiming for, even if against most premier league sides that midfield is doing well.

ivaldo

He's better than McTominay though. Better passer. He'd be our best midfielder if he came.
He probably is better than McTominay, but his signing wouldn't solve any of our issues. We'd still be creating absolutely nothing.

Ekeke

He probably is better than McTominay, but his signing wouldn't solve any of our issues. We'd still be creating absolutely nothing.
He'd probably get a bunch of shots away for himself. But yeah in terms of making things for others, McGinn isnt the answer

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Yagami

Good post resistant
McGinn's actually a creative passer. Like Scholes used to do, I've seen him use his head to make some smart passes, too!

He doesn't play as many passes as Grealish because he gets in the box a lot. In possession, he pretty much becomes a SS. Like Pogba during Ole's initial run. When deep, he's very good at the build-up and finding attackers.

TwoSheds

It would solve the issue of protecting the defence and keeping possession in the middle of the park. 2 defensively aware midfielders who are happy to take responsibility on the ball too. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are better, cheaper players knocking around that we could get but it wouldn't be a bad signing, money aside.

Ekeke

McGinn's actually a creative passer. Like Scholes used to do, I've seen him use his head to make some smart passes, too!

He doesn't play as many passes as Grealish because he gets in the box a lot. In possession, he pretty much becomes a SS. Like Pogba during Ole's initial run. When deep, he's very good at the build-up and finding attackers.
Agree with the rest, but his passing is not like Scholes.

Walters_19_MuFc

McGinn is a midfield runner, which I guess we could do with, but he's not going to control a game for you.

If you look at Villa's midfield, although Grealish has recently been moved to the wide areas, he's the main source of creativity for them.

This season, Grealish on average has made 42.3 passes to McGinn's 28.2. Grealish has also made more key passes per game (2.5) with a higher pass accuracy (85.3%) to McGinn's 80.6%, with 1.4 key passes per game.

So it's clear to see that McGinn doesn't get involved in the build up play as much as Grealish, but we have Pogba to play that role, with McGinn focusing on making runs to create space. However, we'd still need someone deep to start play.

Pogba (Creator) McGinn (Runner)
Holding Midfielder (Deep-lying Playmaker)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Agree with the rest, but his passing is not like Scholes.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say his passing was comparable to Scholes. I meant that the way McGinn uses his head to sometimes make passes with it reminds me of Scholes as, despite being as small as he was, his heading ability was brilliant.

McGinn is a midfield runner, which I guess we could do with, but he's not going to control a game for you.

If you look at Villa's midfield, although Grealish has recently been moved to the wide areas, he's the main source of creativity for them.

This season, Grealish on average has made 42.3 passes to McGinn's 28.2. Grealish has also made more key passes per game (2.5) with a higher pass accuracy (85.3%) to McGinn's 80.6%, with 1.4 key passes per game.

So it's clear to see that McGinn doesn't get involved in the build up play as much as Grealish, but we have Pogba to play that role, with McGinn focusing on making runs to create space. However, we'd still need someone deep to start play.

Pogba (Creator) McGinn (Runner)
Holding Midfielder (Deep-lying Playmaker)
Defintiely.

The thing about Pogba and McGinn is that I think it'd be brilliant watching them rotate as that 8 and SS ahead of a DLP when in possession. So, one can come deep to help the build-up while the other goes forward to support the forward, and they could rotate based off the way the play is going. I think both would excel in said roles.

Kinda pointless talking about that though as there's no way McGinn moves until the Summer (if then) and it seems inevitable that Pogba's off then himself.

Them two in front of Lobotka would be my wish, though!

Ekeke

Sorry, I didn't mean to say his passing was comparable to Scholes. I meant that the way McGinn uses his head to sometimes make passes with it reminds me of Scholes as, despite being as small as he was, his heading ability was brilliant.

Defintiely.

The thing about Pogba and McGinn is that I think it'd be brilliant watching them rotate as that 8 and SS ahead of a DLP when in possession. So, one can come deep to help the build-up while the other goes forward to support the forward, and they could rotate based off the way the play is going. I think both would excel in said roles.

Kinda pointless talking about that though as there's no way McGinn moves until the Summer (if then) and it seems inevitable that Pogba's off then himself.

Them two in front of Lobotka would be my wish, though!
I think McGinn and Pogba could work like that, due to McGinn being a bit more of a ball winner the same way Bruno Fernandes might have worked. But I'd want someone who is going to help control the game with passing behind them, Lobotka is more of a dribbler. Someone who makes the ball work rather than running it themselves, because he'd have 2 CMs pushing in front of him

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think McGinn and Pogba could work like that, due to McGinn being a bit more of a ball winner the same way Bruno Fernandes might have worked. But I'd want someone who is going to help control the game with passing behind them, Lobotka is more of a dribbler. Someone who makes the ball work rather than running it themselves, because he'd have 2 CMs pushing in front of him
Yeah, I get where you're coming from and understand why'd you prefer someone else.

Regarding Lobotka, I've noticed a change in his game recently. His passing range has improved, but he doesn't dribble or hold onto the ball anywhere near as long/much as he did the previous seasons, which, to me, is kinda disappointing as he reminded me of Arthur/Verratti in his style of play there. His passing - whilst improving - still isn't great in terms of range and creativity admittedly, but I think it's definitely improved in recent months. He's very good at those Carrick-esque passes between the lines, for what it's worth, and has a nice outside of the boot pass, too.