John McGinn

dev1l

I don't think Villa will part with Mcginn before the end of the season anyway

Bestofthebest

This is how far we have sunk in the last seven years. People still think we should buy the best players in the world but the problem is if we put a world class player in this team he would not look anywhere near as good as he is. Pogba is a prime example, he looks out of place and disinterested now that he has realised he is wasting his time. He will look very good once he has moved on.

Before the start of the season I was aghast when McGinn was mentioned but now think he would be very good in the present team, certainly an upgrade on what we have. I am equally sure there are plenty more in the Prem who would be good for us even if they did become more "on the fringe" once we get back to where we can attract the better players who are looking for something beyond a huge wage slip and and an easy life.

No doubt in the January and/or Summer windows we will be running round like headless chickens trying to sign world class players or over the hill players who want a nice retirement package. These players will end up like Pogba or they will be too old to take the pace and physicality of the Prem, and therefore not much use.

What we have at present is a disasterous mix of promising youngsters, useless no hopers and the old guard who are well past it. It will not be fixed by buying a bunch of players who are after a quick buck or an easy time. I think buying McGinn would be a step in the right direction but not a cure all. We should try to get rid of some of the dross at the same time, if anyone will take them.

dev1l

@Bestofthebest You have to consider context in which the club is operating in now vs 10-15 years ago.
There are much more clubs who can compete financially with us, not to mention that "smaller" clubs like West Ham, Leicester etc are financially very solid and they don't need to sell.
Rich owners like that of Leicester actually pumped money in the club whilst ours pull money out of it.

Bestofthebest

@Bestofthebest You have to consider context in which the club is operating in now vs 10-15 years ago.
There are much more clubs who can compete financially with us, not to mention that "smaller" clubs like West Ham, Leicester etc are financially very solid and they don't need to sell.
Rich owners like that of Leicester actually pumped money in the club whilst ours pull money out of it.
I am aware of what you are saying, some of which was covered in the comments about how we go about recruiting as opposed to other clubs. That is partly my reason for saying we should look at players like McGinn who I am sure would improve us from our present position and who we could easily afford. Your comments are welcome accepted with pleasure.

Irrational.

I'd definitely take him over some money-grabbing disinterested 'super talent' that ends up flopping and eyeing up other clubs a year into his contract.

At this phase of our transition we need committed, hard-working players that will give everything for the shirt, and get us out of this rut.

Sign him up.

dev1l

I'd definitely take him over some money-grabbing disinterested 'super talent' that ends up flopping and eyeing up other clubs a year into his contract.

At this phase of our transition we need committed, hard-working players that will give everything for the shirt, and get us out of this rut.

Sign him up.
Agreed. We must focus again on players who are not here exclusively for the money. Maybe that s why the focus on British talent. In general Manchester United means more for British rather than continental players. For example most South American players dream of playing for Madrid or Barca rather than for an English team.
I m speaking in general of course, because there could be exceptions everywhere

Irrational.

Agreed. We must focus again on players who are not here exclusively for the money. Maybe that s why the focus on British talent. In general Manchester United means more for British rather than continental players. For example most South American players dream of playing for Madrid or Barca rather than for an English team.
I m speaking in general of course, because there could be exceptions everywhere
True. You only need to look at how McTominay is outperforming the likes of Pogba and Fred at present to illustrate that point. They will give us so much more. Maybe, when (if) we're a top tier club again challenging for the top honours we can start becoming an attractive proposal for the best talents for reasons other than money.

Adamsk7

We should get him.

not because he’s world class (he isn’t) but because he’s exactly the type of player we used to have as a reliable squad option. I think it makes total sense to get hard working players with good quality in, then when we are finally a decent, cohesive team, we can start adding top drawer talent. I think that’s why there’s an emphasis on the likes of a James or Wan Bissaka. We’re gonna buy players who are hungry and probably only go big on one player per window who’s that guaranteed “spine of the team” type player (this year that was Maguire). eventually we’ll get to the point where the likes of Shaw and McTominay are rotational options, like they should be for a team of our stature.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think this is why our squad is so imbalanced. Whilst McGinn seems to be a very good player, buying him is not a priority at the moment. If we had a settled squad and wanted to add to it, then he'd be a clever signing. As it is, we need a holding midfielder and McGinn is quite clearly a box to box player.

Some may say we could drop McTominay into the holding role, but I also feel like McGinn, Scott is better as a box to box midfielder.

Having said that, we probably could do with replacing both, Fred and Matic, meaning McGinn would be someone to come in for Fred, focusing on a holding midfielder to replace Matic.

I highly doubt that we'll get two centre midfielders in the summer, though, especially when buying an attacking midfielder should be higher on our priority list.

Bestietom

This is how far we have sunk in the last seven years. People still think we should buy the best players in the world but the problem is if we put a world class player in this team he would not look anywhere near as good as he is. Pogba is a prime example, he looks out of place and disinterested now that he has realised he is wasting his time. He will look very good once he has moved on.

Before the start of the season I was aghast when McGinn was mentioned but now think he would be very good in the present team, certainly an upgrade on what we have. I am equally sure there are plenty more in the Prem who would be good for us even if they did become more "on the fringe" once we get back to where we can attract the better players who are looking for something beyond a huge wage slip and and an easy life.

No doubt in the January and/or Summer windows we will be running round like headless chickens trying to sign world class players or over the hill players who want a nice retirement package. These players will end up like Pogba or they will be too old to take the pace and physicality of the Prem, and therefore not much use.

What we have at present is a disasterous mix of promising youngsters, useless no hopers and the old guard who are well past it. It will not be fixed by buying a bunch of players who are after a quick buck or an easy time. I think buying McGinn would be a step in the right direction but not a cure all. We should try to get rid of some of the dross at the same time, if anyone will take them.
They are on too much money and won't move until their contracts run out.

Bestofthebest

They are on too much money and won't move until their contracts run out.
That was covered in my third paragraph where I was explaining our madcap recruitment methods. In some cases it might be better to pay them off as they are less than useless anyway. More to the point any finance manager in industry/commerce who handed out contracts like we do would be on the dole by now. Just another example of how far we have fallen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’ll be good additional if we are going to play 3 man midfield with him & Pogba, he will add creativity in our midfield and he can take corner.

McGinn McTomminay Pogba

He likes to play a lot of forward passes and this season he had 1.4 key passes & 3.3 long ball average per game which is what you want as a creativity in midfield 3. Another positive is that loves to make a good run into opposition box to score, again that’s what we need a goal. But if we are going to play him in midfield 2 with Pogba then it’s a waste.

Champagne Football

Has scored 2 already against San Marino. Not exactly Brazil, but McGinn would be a massive upgrade on all our midfielders including Pogba

Walters_19_MuFc

He's got a nose for goal, hasn't he? Hat trick in the first half against San Marino. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Would be perfect if we were to play a 433.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

You’re making it seem as if McGinn and Pogba are players of the same quality, ludicrous.

None of our players or staff could be bothered going by the performances, the scapegoating of Pogba is something else.
When Nottingham Forest got relegated in 92, Roy Keane stood out like a sore thumb. He bossed midfield every game, despite the rest of the team giving up long before.

Same with Alan Smith at Leeds. As the team spiralled towards the championship, Alan Smith was the only one who continued to fight for every ball.

Pogba on his day is the world's best midfielder. But you can count on 1 hand how many stunning performances he's had here in 3 and a half seasons.

Utd were buzzing at the start of the season. But when Pogba grabbed the ball off designated peno taker Rashford against Wolves, only to go on make a very costly miss, the team morale seemed to take a real dive in that moment.

Pogba gives up too easily. Jose hated him and he's a bit of a luxury player who seems to go into his shell when the going gets tough.

In saying that, I think he'll still put in some good performances in his final season here. But his heart doesn't look in it. He decided he was bigger than Man Utd a long time ago, and that negativity spreads like wildfire in a dressing room.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's got a nose for goal, hasn't he? Hat trick in the first half against San Marino. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Would be perfect if we were to play a 433.
He played in no 10 role in 4231 today.

dbs235

He’ll be good additional if we are going to play 3 man midfield with him & Pogba, he will add creativity in our midfield and he can take corner.

McGinn McTomminay Pogba

He likes to play a lot of forward passes and this season he had 1.4 key passes & 3.3 long ball average per game which is what you want as a creativity in midfield 3. Another positive is that loves to make a good run into opposition box to score, again that’s what we need a goal. But if we are going to play him in midfield 2 with Pogba then it’s a waste.
Shows how far we've fallen I'm afraid.

jackal&hyde

A very interesting player. Him and Maddison would sort our mid for a variety o options and formations.

Crashoutcassius

Re: upgrade on pogba, he would probably consistently play better for us than pogba. I guess in the ethereal, training competitions or 3 games a season he wouldn't technically be an upgrade

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Remember, Wijnaldum wasn't exactly a world beater at Newcastle though he showed good stuff there. Klopp's coaching elevated him to his current level.

I can see McGinn finding another gear at a new club.

CM

I like him a lot. He's got energy and grit in abundance but the technical quality is also obvious. Problem is he signed a new contract last summer so Villa can charge what they like for him if they decide to sell.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His stats just back up what I say. He's a brilliant all round midfielder. He does everything. As good a box to box midfielder there is out there, imo.

His stats just back up what I say. He's a brilliant all round midfielder. He does everything. As good a box to box midfielder there is out there, imo.
Did you watch him in the championship? Was he this good?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
'The big clubs can come calling but they’ll get a short, swift reply! He’s a player we want here at Aston Villa’
That's a quote from Villas manager, he'd probably be a difficult player to bring in.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Did you watch him in the championship? Was he this good?
I did, yes, and he was brilliant.

Back during the transfer window before any PL games, I was already advocating signing him. Even for the reported £50 million. He was that impressive.

I said this before he made a single PL appearance:
He's a good midfielder, imo. Like Maddison for Leicester, I reckon he'll settle in at PL level fast and end up being on a lot of teams radar if he stays at Villa.

For those who don't know him, he's a box to box midfielder. Defensively, he gets stuck in, covers a lot of ground, presses like Herrera. Offensively, he's a good dribbler, is very good at shielding the ball under pressure, has a good pass on him, and is a goal threat with a good long range strike and his deep runs into the box.

Personally, I'd be all for this transfer right now, but I'm also interested in seeing how he and Grealish cope together against PL level midfields.
Safe to say I'm not surprised by how well he's doing. He just has it.