John McGinn

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The prices quoted for some of these Championship players really highlight both the current market and the bargain we got at £15m for James.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The prices quoted for some of these Championship players really highlight both the current market and the bargain we got at £15m for James.
Or they're just fabricated bollocks of course. No way anyone is paying £50m for McGinn, if Villa have really quoted that then they're just saying he's not for sale in so many words.

And whilst I think McGinn's quite good myself, to compare him to Bruno Fernandes is laughable. Sporting Lisbon captain, getting goals and assists for fun, or decent technical Championship workhorse who bangs in a worldie now and then.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Or they're just fabricated bollocks of course. No way anyone is paying £50m for McGinn, if Villa have really quoted that then they're just saying he's not for sale in so many words.

And whilst I think McGinn's quite good myself, to compare him to Bruno Fernandes is laughable. Sporting Lisbon captain, getting goals and assists for fun, or decent technical Championship workhorse who bangs in a worldie now and then.
I know that but then again, nobody had fabricated such prices for James before we signed him, it was always around 15 mark tbf. Such a risk-free punt that may only prove right pretty much.

SambaBoy

If he has a good season, then links of £50m would be about right. Posters always say we should sign these players before they go the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Everton, Wolves etc like Maddison, but the likes of Maddison moved to Leicester for £15-20m and now the talks after a season of proving himself in the Prem is £50-60m. McGinn price is quoted as £50m without him even proving himself in the Prem, it's too much of a risk. For £20m yes it would be a good move but the £50m is surely just Villa saying he's not for sale.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Clickbait nonsense, nothing more to it I imagine.

James made sense at his age and price. No great risk attached.

For anyone to go splashing 40 million plus on a player like McGinn, let alone us, would be absolutely brainless.

Decent tidy player, had a really good season helping getting Villa up. Most certainly earned his crack at top flight football .

I'd be amazed if there was anything in this

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Came here for this. What a strike.

As for the links, I’m not convinced. I am very excited to see him in the prem, I think he’ll be great for Villa, not sure I’d be as excited about us signing him. Where are the stat men to tell me why I’m wrong?
Basically this.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
are we now bidding for anyone in a pair of boots under the age of 25... can we please get some proven quality into our team (as much as AWB looks promising, he's no the proved deal yet). Yes you can win things with kids, but they have to be very special kids. Part o me worries that Ole may be living in some sort of fantasy world, driven by nostalgia

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Dunno if true or not but I’ve heard hibs have a 15% sell on clause.

VanAlden

If he has a good season, then links of £50m would be about right. Posters always say we should sign these players before they go the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Everton, Wolves etc like Maddison, but the likes of Maddison moved to Leicester for £15-20m and now the talks after a season of proving himself in the Prem is £50-60m. McGinn price is quoted as £50m without him even proving himself in the Prem, it's too much of a risk. For £20m yes it would be a good move but the £50m is surely just Villa saying he's not for sale.
Maddison is twice the player of John McGinn. I've seen McGinn in the flesh on numerous occasions and he's not, never has been and never will be Man Utd class. Talk of £50m is simply a symptom of the outright lunacy of the English transfer market. His range of passing for a midfielder is utterly average at best.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Having a good start to the season.

I said it before but we should've took a punt on him regardless of the price because, when this season's over, he'll end up costing a lot more. People laughed at that because he's Scottish and comes from the Championship, but, as a box to box midfielder, I think he's brilliant.

I'm confident he'll end up as one of the best CMs in the league rather sharpish.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Having a good start to the season.

I said it before but we should've took a punt on him regardless of the price because, when this season's over, he'll end up costing a lot more. People laughed at that because he's Scottish and comes from the Championship, but, as a box to box midfielder, I think he's brilliant.

I'm confident he'll end up as one of the best CMs in the league rather sharpish.
Yep, his energy as well as his quality is exactly what we need.

Ace of Spades

Yep, his energy as well as his quality is exactly what we need.
People should really stop judging players on where they play and try to look if they have qualities that are enough for the top level. And yeah, McGinn looks talented enough to improve on the options we have currently.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
People should really stop judging players on where they play and try to look if they have qualities that are enough for the top level. And yeah, McGinn looks talented enough to improve on the options we have currently.
We’re certainly going to have to do that, as there’s no chance we’re buying anyone from anywhere decent.

Ace of Spades

We’re certainly going to have to do that, as there’s no chance we’re buying anyone from anywhere decent.
True, keep being crap and top players won't come here when they have a chance at better teams.

Champagne Football

We should be throwing 50 million at Villa in January. Fred and Matic must be the worst 100 million spent in history. Villa would only consider a sale if they were close to the minimum survival points needed.

Having 2 Scottish Bulldogs in midfield who will die for the shirt, next to Pogba sounds like the way forward. McGinn definitely showing the skills to match his energy.

Fergie was supposedly crazy for us to sign McGinn over the summer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Much better than what we have

Seb burrow

Let’s be honest the likelihood is they’ll go down, he’ll want to continue in this league so they’ll allow him to go for less that 50m.

His work rate and desire is out of this world, he should definitely be on our radar. Fantastic box to box player.

He would fit perfectly in a two behind a more attack minded CM which he does already with Grealish above him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bit of a straw man I'd say? I recall no-one that said Van Dijk wasn't United quality (possibly that he's overpriced at £75m)?
When he was at Southampton I distinctly remember people shooting me down when I suggested him as a target because Smalling and Bailly were better and VVD was not United quality.

Let’s be honest the likelihood is they’ll go down, he’ll want to continue in this league so they’ll allow him to go for less that 50m.

His work rate and desire is out of this world, he should definitely be on our radar. Fantastic box to box player.

He would fit perfectly in a two behind a more attack minded CM which he does already with Grealish above him.
I don't know about that. There is a lot of shit in our league. Villa actually held their own at Spurs and Arsenal. I could easily see them staying up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He will be very suitable in 3 midfield as box to box where he will be given a chance to make the intelligent run to forward area and find the right position to score. His work rate is good & got some skills. Remind me of Saul at atl madrid. I like him but if we end up signing him then I don’t think I can see him & Scott playing together with Pogba unless if we play diamond formation with Pogba as no 10. Scott is also box to box imo.

Kostov

Bit of a straw man I'd say? I recall no-one that said Van Dijk wasn't United quality (possibly that he's overpriced at £75m)?
I remember posters on here laughing at other posters calling for LVG to sign VVD when he was at Celtic, that moron went on and signed Rojo instead and people on here defended that decision.

Champagne Football

He will be very suitable in 3 midfield as box to box where he will be given a chance to make the intelligent run to forward area and find the right position to score. His work rate is good & got some skills. Remind me of Saul at atl madrid. I like him but if we end up signing him then I don’t think I can see him & Scott playing together with Pogba unless if we play diamond formation with Pogba as no 10. Scott is also box to box imo.
Yeah both himself and Scott are box to box. Jury still out whether Scott has the technical quality needed to be a box to box starter long term. His energy and desire is phenomenal. Right now McGinn is miles ahead of him as a goal scoring technically sound box to box.
I'd have no complaints with McT playing DM with McGinn on the right of a 3 from January if we could get him. But a DLP will be needed eventually. Perhaps Garner.

Sea-Cow

What happened to him in the second half of this game? They were a man-up and lost a lead twice?

And I heard that the big-hair French kid from Arsenal ran the game in the second half... So what happened? He gets dominated by a 20-year-old when they are a man-up?

I'm just curious.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a top player. Type of signing you’d have made back in the early 2000s-2010ish.

Cost you 60m these days if you want him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well he was being touted around 50M before he step foot in the premier league. As G Nev said, top players will cost around 100M each.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Probably end up at Leicester after they sell Maddison for big money this summer.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Probably end up at Leicester after they sell Maddison for big money this summer.
Who will Villa sign and whoever that is, where will his club find their replacement?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's a good player but we need to aim for better quality. He'd cost a bomb too, not worth it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Grealish would be more of a replacement for Maddison. McGinn be more like a Tielemanns replacement, who I can't imagine they will need to replace anytime soon.

Lee565

Would prefer him over maddison, he would probably cost almost half of what maddison would end up costing us.

AkaAkuma

I think we are going to see more and more links with this guy the closer we get to the winter window, so he's deserving of his own thread.

Today we were linked to him via Fergie, who has a relationship with McGinns grandfather, a former SFA chairman I believe.