John McGinn

Abraxas

Are people here serious? It's all "he can do a job", he's better than Fred.

Really, is he? Even if he is the task isn't to find marginal upgrades, surely. He's 27 years old, there isn't going to be much improvement in him, what we see is what we get and that's a player that is not going to transform our midfield in my opinion.

If McFred are as bad as people say (which I don't buy) it should be relatively easy to find a big improvement, no? Not a guy that statistically and quite obviously is at a similar level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are people here serious? It's all "he can do a job", he's better than Fred.

Really, is he? Even if he is the task isn't to find marginal upgrades, surely. He's 27 years old, there isn't going to be much improvement in him, what we see is what we get and that's a player that is not going to transform our midfield in my opinion.

If McFred are as bad as people say (which I don't buy) it should be relatively easy to find a big improvement, no? Not a guy that statistically and quite obviously is at a similar level.
I always thought he was really good

quethenoo

He's a very capable player, better than what we have for sure and has a good finish on him. Arguably the best player in a Scotland team that has Robertson and Tierney in it. As long as it's not stupid cash and he's expected to rejuviunate our team single handedly, I think it would be decent signing.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Would not be a dreadful signing, but I doubt it would be a transformative one. If they've identified him as the right character, without wanting to sound overly like Keano, I'd be for it.

Villa will quote top dollar though, if McGinn is to be our only midfield addition it won't be enough.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looking at Haidara (a player I've seen nothing of) and McGinn's stats, where they would appear to be an improvement on face value is in terms of stats like progressive passing and dribbling.

Assuming for a moment we were actually interested in players of that profile, it makes me wonder if the concern we're looking to address is our ability to get the ball up to our attackers as directly as possible. Perhaps the prototype in mind is something similar to the Liverpool midfield in the earlier days of Klopp's success there, where there was perceived to be a similar lack of a midfielder who could get on the ball and play around with it.
That’s a good point — I did notice that with both. Both seem to be very vertical runners and passers and that does seem to be Rangnick’s MO.

My only question there then, are we signing players just for the next 6 months of his stint? Will Poch, or Ten Hag (or whoever the next permanent manager is) fancy the same style? Will they deem the Haidara/McGinn whoever surplus?

OmarUnited4ever

Villa sold Grealish for 100m pounds, White was sold for 50m, surely AVFC would demand at least 70m for McGinn, not that he is worth that much, but they don't need to sell him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just out if interest - I really want a sitting midfielder aswell, who is in your wishlist?
Depends if we're talking realistic, bargain prices, big fee players or just a list of players that would be good if we ignore transfer fees!
For our midfield positions, ignoring transfer fees and not necessarily in order, all of these would improve us loads and be more along the profile that we need, and IMO all are realistic.
  • Tchouameni​
  • Guimaraes​
  • Kessie​
  • Bennacer​
  • Kamara​
  • Bissouma​
  • Rice​
  • Ruben Neves​
Can even get 2 of these to partner each other. A pairing of tchouameni and Guimaraes for example would be class.

Kessie and Kamara's contracts are expiring this summer. Bissouma in summer to 2023. All 3 would walk into our starting 11 and be more suited to us long term for any manager. Bennacer was not too long ago rumored to be around €50m I think? Guimaraes €40m? Ruben Neves in the summer was €35m? Yes Rice and Tchouameni you are talking massive transfer fees, but both are excellent and young and low risk defensive midfielders. There are options, there are always options, United have for ages just ignored them (or have 0 imagination in their scouting).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Villa sold Grealish for 100m pounds, White was sold for 50m, surely AVFC would demand at least 70m for McGinn, not that he is worth that much, but they don't need to sell him.
This summer will be the only chance they get to get more than 30m for him. Ramsay and Luiz is a cracking midfield and they'll probably just bring Chukwuemeka through in his place, who they're trying hard to get to renew.

I actually think they'd sell for quite a reasonable price.

Abraxas

I always thought he was really good
I agree he's good. But whether that extends to being a big money signing for us, that's what I doubt.

I worry about the way people look at a Villa player and ours in coming to these conclusions he's a big upgrade. We are vastly better than Aston Villa during a comedy show of a season, and this is despite Villa having this supposedly wonderful midfield. That's the truth of it. It feels like at these clubs the stand outs get a great reputation but ours are (rightly) slaughtered because we're not anywhere near expectation.

It's a bit skewed - for example, Fred destroys McGinn in most areas except progressive passing. In fact most of Villas play doesn't revolve around any key figure in midfield, they have very low touches. Then we complain about the way we play and not dominating or getting hold of the ball or the way we give it away. What is suggesting that he can solve many problems - the evidence suggests he can give us something in some areas but not a big leap.

To me he's a guy we pick up on a free or cheap, an option as another body in midfield - I wouldn't be turning to him as a key signing for 40-50 mill. I'd rather spunk money on Ramsey in truth, I think that's premature but he has potential.

Deery

Dreary
This summer will be the only chance they get to get more than 30m for him. Ramsay and Luiz is a cracking midfield and they'll probably just bring Chukwuemeka through in his place, who they're trying hard to get to renew.

I actually think they'd sell for quite a reasonable price.
True.

I’d nearly want to throw the McGinn money at Chukwuemeka and Ramsey instead, but we’d never take the gamble.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's inconsistent, we can't afford yet another midifelder like that. And he's not a DM. Would be a very poor value signing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
True.

I’d nearly want to throw the McGinn money at Chukwuemeka and Ramsey instead, but we’d never take the gamble.
I wouldn't bother with Chukwuemeka, feel like we have the likes of Hannibal to get into the first team squad first. I'd absolutely throw the money at Ramsey though, thoroughly convinced with him as player.

Deery

Dreary
I wouldn't bother with Chukwuemeka, feel like we have the likes of Hannibal to get into the first team squad first. I'd absolutely throw the money at Ramsey though, thoroughly convinced with him as player.
I haven’t seen Hannibal yet so can’t comment just seen he sat a little deeper on Saturday and looked really good.

Totally agree on Ramsey.

Redlyn

I think it's too much average muchness with Fred and McT. Is that the best we can do.

Trex

If its a Pogba replacement I'll rather Teilemans, younger and higher ceiling

cj_sparky

I'd imagine Villa would be asking £60-70m.

I like McGinn, but like the majority of our signings from other Premiership clubs or of British players. You pay a premium for a player, when there are often foreign targets as good, who could still improve that are cheaper.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
This is what you get when you hire someone like Fletcher with no experience of the role into an important position, he doesn't have knowledge of foreign markets so this is what he comes up with, his scottish mate John McGinn. Reminds of Ryan Giggs and his Dan James reccomendation.
What a load of horse shit. Amazingly bad.

Congrats!

Smores

Would be a good signing in my book, nothing wrong with a sturdy functional midfielder. Teams need solid unfashionable players to glue it all together.

Of course he's neither a young hyped prospect nor someone who would cost 80 million so i wouldn't expect the fans to be happy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He'd be a fantastic signing IF we are also in for a great DM. He won't be the answer to our midfield problems on his own, but he's a progressive passer and a commander in the middle of the pitch.

Either way I don't really give much of a shit if he isn't coming in this window. We really can't sit about waiting another 6 months for midfielders who can make a difference.

MrSingh2002

Do not want. Not a pass master and not a CDM. We have McTominay who can do what he does.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do not want. Not a pass master and not a CDM. We have McTominay who can do what he does.
McGinn is miles better and apart from Tierney and Robertson is Scotland's best player. While he alone isn't THE answer, if we get him plus a DM the difference it would make to our midfield would be enormous. Quite frankly he would be a cracking signing.

A9X SJ

Celtic missed a trick not paying the 4 Million before he ended up going down south - The would have got a good Fee after a few years... Good player only a small upgrade thou

SATA

Nothing wrong looking at the domestic market but 40-45M should be enough to get that young highly rated midfielder from Monaco, no?

Scholsey2004

We keep looking at more hard working box to box players when what we lack is an actual midfield linchpin who'll stay put, cover the defence and be the go-to player in possession like Carrick and Keane.

NICanRed

Its understandable that we are short-sighted and look at the Prem and Europe for the solution to our problems. What are our scouts in Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa seeing? Even N. and Central America may offer some hope.
I hope we have a team of scouts at AFCON although I don't like the thought of losing important players for a month in the middle of the season every few years.

Comet49

Steven Gerrard will do everything he can to deter his players signing for us.

Zoo

I like him but he's the type you add to the mix when you have a top team, not when you're trying to build one.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s only worth it if we get him for a bargain fee like Andy Robertson.
That ship sailed when he signed for villa. I wouldn’t mind getting someone like this for free and bigish wages or for 30 million with a year left of their deal but going in paying prime mid contract PL money is pretty typically Utd. He’s a good player but I don’t think he moves the needle enough for us for 50 million or whatever

passing-wind

This is the type of signing a Liverpool would make and the fans complain why the club missed out. The success of Mcginn would depend on the manager that is utilising him. I think when you consider the potential loss of Pogba / DVB in summer a player who can start but also be rotated is useful.

Satsuma United

He is 27, it means he would be an established leader right away.

We need that and his signing would also mean no more Fred for the 8 role.

I support Mcginn to United.

Sea-Cow

I prefer Ramsey and Douglas Luiz at this point. McGinn is good but I suspect both Luiz and Ramsey are going to be better when they're 27 like he is. He's pretty much a better McTominay on the floor but without the aerials
So depressing that I would take all three, Ramsey, Douglas Luiz, or McGinn, over our current lot.