John O'shea |Appreciation thread

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
So after already having made a Saha appreciation thread some time ago i spontaneously wanted to continue the 'throwback' threads. Today's star : John O'shea. The living synonym of the term versatile. He was the exemplary versatile player who never set the Old Trafford pitch on fire, but he would jump into a pool of prickly plants if that was desired. You win titles with your squad and he was a fine example of that. That chip in the Highbury clash, the late drama goal at Anfield are all documented in his admirable 12 year career at United.

So to keep this OP short but understandable, what are your memories of O'shea ? What was his best position in your opinion? and perhaps a silly question, but how would O'shea fare in the current LVG squad? In the words of O'shea, 'let's get the job done'.

Castia

I met him once and told him the chip against Arsenal was fecking amazing, he started laughing and said he's glad I enjoyed it. Always seemed like a top guy, the goal away at Anfield will always be remembered as well.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
What a man.

mexos

Academy player
When he stepped up as a keeper against spurs?, I was sold. He is more of a cult hero than a player. With nutmegs, chips and other stuff slow lanky irish lads shouldnt be doing.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
One of the first United shirts I got was the 2002/03 one. I got O'Shea on the back, but they ran out of apostrophes... I think they just cut the top off an I or something :lol:

FujiVice

Loved John O'Shea. The perfect squad player. He could slot in at right back, left back, was decent alongside a Vidic or a Ferdinand if you needed him to help out when players were injured. Chipped in with a few goals as well. Great bloke as well. In fairness, I do think he should have done far better than he did. He showed so much promise early on. He was such a positive player in his youth. 2002-03 he looked so good, it seemed like he was destined for the first team. He was so good against Madrid at Old Trafford. Megged Figo, as well. But I suppose its hard to complain about a career that saw him win countless league titles, have a 10 year run with the top team in the country and win the Champions League.

Sadly he went all Nicky Butt when he left us. I thought he'd do far better at Sunderland than he has. Seemed like he was an old dog who couldnt learn the new tricks you needed to to play in such a limited team like Sunderland. Adding to that, his legs have gone in the last 2 years. I think he needs to take his rightful place as a bloke who turns up on MUTV every other week.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not a huge fan, plus seemed a bit too happy and comfortable as a squad player for my liking.

Immense goal at Anfield in 2006/07 though, that goal also broke Essien's calculator.

Red Stone

The genuine look of amazement on his face when the Arsenal chip went in :lol:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People forget how good he was early in his career at Manchester United.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=265215&cc=5901

However, when the winner of this season's PFA young player of the year award is announced on Sunday evening, there should only be one victor.

A player who has not only proved his all-round talent all season, but has looked a class act in a side full of class players week-in, week-out.

In my opinion, it will be a travesty if John O'Shea doesn't receive the accolade. Whether it be Turin or Madrid, Anfield or Highbury, the young Irishman has not just adapted to life in what can be the harshest of environments, but has decidedly revelled in it.

It all began when Sir Alex Ferguson's side were badly hit by injuries in the autumn and one player was asked to perform right across the back line.

Right-back, centre-half, left-back - O'Shea has done it all and not only come out the other side with his reputation intact, but significantly enhanced.

Not only has he looked at home at the top level domestically and in Europe, but, in addition to his superb defensive attributes, has impressed with a natural composure in possession, confident close control and his adventurous bursts up the flank.

The fact many of these moves have been often completed at breakneck speed have merely added to the spectacle. Even Welsh winger and team-mate Ryan Giggs, with a twinkle in his eye, has moved to suggest his job could be under threat!

Predominantly right-footed, O'Shea does not look out of place on the left simply because he is such an accomplished all-round footballer. With a neat, clean touch, he can manoeuvre his way out of most situations.

His thrilling solo bursts, coupled with a good grasp of appreciating the right pass at the right time, would make you believe O'Shea has played regularly in this position for years.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I highly approve of John Francis O'Shea, both as a footballer and as a gentleman. And that is all I have to shay on this shubject.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Always felt he could have became much more than what he was. Was a point I was sure he nailed that left back position and then... I don't even know.

He's an LVG player.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
LVG would've loved his versatility, two-footedness, and professionalism.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yeah, at one time I felt we'd replaced Irwin. Every successful teams needs a John of all trades and he was ours. Solid and reliable with moments that showed he was a proper footballer as well.

The chip is my abiding memory of Sheasy, but going in goal and his nutmeg of Figo are amazing, and sum up John O'Shea

Charlie Foley

I'm pretty sure in 06/07 he had 5 shots and 4 goal in the league. Everton home and away, Portsmouth and Liverpool away. Plus one against Copenhagen when the ball hit his standing leg from a corner.

In 2009 he scored in the first leg against Arsenal in the CL semi final, I think, and was, arguably, our best player in the final.

Also, his goal against Germany for Ireland was greeted with a "feckin get in...(realizes who scored) waheyyyy!!" Across the country.

Was one of 7 defenders to start against Arsenal in the 2-0 win in 2011. Always laugh at that.

The other moments others have mentioned. The chip in the 4-2 was, in all honesty, probably the best goal ever scored at Highbury.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That goal at Liverpool.

But beyond that, the Evra-Rio-Vidic-Neville/Brown/Rafa back line gets a lot of credit and rightly so. However O'Shea was able to slip in anywhere at the back and provide needed cover whenever rest or recovery from injuries was needed. He could get in the lineup and there would be no change to our defensive solidity.

ricky-romeo

if there is a dictionary about football, o'shea should be the synonym to versatility.

great squad player to have.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Why did I think he had retired? One of my favorites. Always thought he was a bit underrated by our fans based on nothing but just how much I loved him. Also I don't recall him making a lot of mistakes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
An excellent squad player, the type who every big team need to have. A consumed pro with positive attitude as team player.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
When he stepped up as a keeper against spurs?, I was sold. He is more of a cult hero than a player.
This. I'm right in thinking he's the only player that's played in every position for us aren't I?
Very useful player, was sorry he left.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Goals vs Liverpool and Arsenal.

And his younger years when he was very highly rated.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I still don't know how he turned from someone who almost replicated Giggs's goal against Newcastle to letting a ball roll under his foot for a throw in with alarming regularity.

Bwuk

I still don't know how he turned from someone who almost replicated Giggs's goal against Newcastle to letting a ball roll under his foot for a throw in with alarming regularity.
Yeah it was strange. He looked like he could of been some player, then turned to be average quite suddenly.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Yeah it was strange. He looked like he could of been some player, then turned to be average quite suddenly.
There was a theory then that SAF told him his permanent position was at centre back and he bulked up over that summer. Ever since he was slow and cumbersome compared to his breakthrough season, similar to Hernandez who lost that burst of acceleration.

Rolledo

Saw the Liverpool-game (1-0) in a Newcastle-pub. Realised when O'Shea won it, I was the only red there, me and one more bloke that is, we was told to sit the f down and shut the f up. Decided to leave the premises. Miss players like him.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
nearly 400 games for utd for a utility player is damn impressive

Anyone that didnt appreciate his contribution to the club is a knobhead

Andy Jones

Supports
SUNDERLAND
Loved John O'Shea. The perfect squad player. He could slot in at right back, left back, was decent alongside a Vidic or a Ferdinand if you needed him to help out when players were injured. Chipped in with a few goals as well. Great bloke as well. In fairness, I do think he should have done far better than he did. He showed so much promise early on. He was such a positive player in his youth. 2002-03 he looked so good, it seemed like he was destined for the first team. He was so good against Madrid at Old Trafford. Megged Figo, as well. But I suppose its hard to complain about a career that saw him win countless league titles, have a 10 year run with the top team in the country and win the Champions League.

Sadly he went all Nicky Butt when he left us. I thought he'd do far better at Sunderland than he has. Seemed like he was an old dog who couldnt learn the new tricks you needed to to play in such a limited team like Sunderland. Adding to that, his legs have gone in the last 2 years. I think he needs to take his rightful place as a bloke who turns up on MUTV every other week.
He's been fairly consistent for us over the 4 years he's been here. It's only been the past 12 months or so when his legs are going that he's making mistakes. Looks like he's going to start the season on the bench behind Kaboul and Coates for us but more than happy to keep him around for another year or so as more than able back-up. Same goes for Wes Brown. Quality player but age has caught up with him in the past 10 months.

Red_Aaron

that finish against spurs (0.41) is Ibra-esque :drool: i'm certain he meant it too ;)
great squad man who knew his situation as a utility player but never once complained and would happily play anywhere. performed admirably in his earlier years whenever called on but struggled with consistancy as he got older. still puts in a few top drawer performances at sunderland every now and then.
top bloke too by all accounts

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Imagine he never played for us and LVG would sign him up this summer for €3,5m. I think he's a fine example of hanging on to promising talents for too long. However he had some luck to be here just at a time when a player like him could fit in. He was probably most kept due to his leadership ability and ambassador status.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He didn't just meg Figo, he proper burst away from him and left him for dead. Hero.

When Johnny goes marching down the wing!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

He really did have the look of the default custom player in Fifa. Loved the guy.