John Stones | Performances

Bwuk

Great signing. Would of had him here to partner Bailly.

Hammerfell

Think he'll be a good signing. Both Manchester clubs have signed two talented, young defenders who fit their respective manager's styles perfectly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He will thrive at City.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Already at his peak IMO, lacks aggression to be a top centre half. Will do well in a Pep team if they can press like his other teams did, but he's no better than Blind is tbh.

Varun

Staff
Steep price but I doubt their fans care as long as he does well.

I hope he has a torrid time.

ROFLUTION

Terrible signing. He's 22 and the previous half year has just been personal mistake after personal mistake. It boggles my mind how he can cost so much.

Low confidence, now he also has a gigantic price-tag on him and everyone's eyes are on him.

Pep needs to work miracles on that guy.

Devil may care

That was pretty sudden, guess they got it done while the whole world was watching the Pogba saga. I think he's a good buy and his attributes are ideal for Pep to mold into the kind of CB he likes.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think he's a good signing for them. He's rough around the edges but you can see theres a lot of talent to work with.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm inclined to give Pep benefit of a doubt but I don't think that Stones will end up a word class defender

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Crazy money for what imo is a VASTLY overrated player who has if anything gone backwards over the past 2 years. Not saying he couldn't become a good player but he certainly isn't very good right now. He is 22 now and you would like to think he might have improved a lot over the past few years - he hasn't.

cyberman

That one pass under pressure sandwiched in between two horrendous positional mistakes sure will be worth it...

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Already at his peak IMO, lacks aggression to be a top centre half. Will do well in a Pep team if they can press like his other teams did, but he's no better than Blind is tbh.
Despite me not rating him highly to say he is 'already at his peak' as a 22 year old defender is ridiculous - he is at least 6 years away from being near his peak. Behave.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Over the moon they've got him to be honest. Done absolutely nothing to warrant that fee, bottom line is he's just not very good at actually defending.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Good signing but I'm relieved they've signed him and not Laporte.
Pretty much this.

So £120m on their defence in the last 3 years? And they still need fullbacks?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If he can get back to the level he was at a couple of years ago then he'll be great for them. Hopefully Pep makes him play as an attacking winger or something though.

Kag

If well protected then he can work well under Guardiola, but a great defender he isn't. He will have to improve a hell of a lot.

Red Stone

I would've paid good money to see him, Mangala and Demichelis in Pep's back three.

Justin Bieber

Good deal for Everton who can now go out and get a defender more suited to defending and good for City as they get a player with the potential to thrive under Pep.

Having said that he's looked a right mess at times, a defender good with his feet who plays himself into trouble rather than out of it most of the time, will be interesting to see what happens.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
£47.5m for a defender who can't defend.

"But he's good with his feet".
I am not sure even that is correct considering he gives the ball away in every game in dangerous situations. I think noodle's posts about in some other thread him are spot on. He's actually not even good with the ball, just because he likes to play with the ball and hold it more than he should doesn't mean he is actually effective with the ball.

George Beast

Given what we've seen of Bailly, would anyone here swap him for Stones? They're both the same age mind you.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wow there is such huge contrast as to how we take in news of our rival clubs signing new players or other matters in general. For the most part people are being fair about this signing and giving City its fair due for signing a good player who'll improve their defense.

But when it comes to rival teams, they're usually bitter and salty about our dealing and would resort to bashing, name calling and other such negative behaviors. Some forums are complete mad house and it's hard to find any shred of decency sometimes. All our news signing get insulted, devalued, wished bad luck upon them etc. I'm not trying to make it sounds as if this place is faultless or doesn't have it fair share of absurdness but the sheer contrast between forums members from here and most of our rivals's forums is astonishing.

Normally in other forums the first posts would have been about how Stones is a shit player, shit signing, shit this and that despite the truth being absolutely opposite.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I am not sure even that is correct considering he gives the ball away in every game in dangerous situations. I think noodle's posts about in some other thread him are spot on. He's actually not even good with the ball, just because he likes to play with the ball and hold it more than he should doesn't mean he is actually effective with the ball.
Probably true, he's massively overrated that's for sure. I'm glad we weren't in for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think Pep will harness the things Stones is good at and turn him into a Kimmich type player. He'll sort out that positioning problem he seems to have and improve decision making. Bloody steep, but I think he's the exact profile that Pep was looking for.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wow there is such huge contrast as to how we take in news of our rival clubs signing new players or other matters in general. For the most part people are being fair about this signing and giving City its fair due for signing a good player who'll improve their defense.

But when it comes to rival teams, they're usually bitter and salty about our dealing and would resort to bashing, name calling and other such negative behaviors. Some forums are complete mad house and it's hard to find any shred of decency sometimes. All our news signing get insulted, devalued, wished bad luck upon them etc. I'm not trying to make it sounds as if this place is faultless or doesn't have it fair share of absurdness but the sheer contrast between forums members from here and most of our rivals's forums is astonishing.

Normally in other forums the first posts would have been about how Stones is a shit player, shit signing, shit this and that despite the truth being absolutely opposite.
Nobody is saying Stones is a shit player but I believe that the majority of football fans in England who have watched him believe him to be nowhere near as good as he has been hyped. He may be pretty decent with his feet as a defender (but again nothing special imo) but he is a truely awful defender who has a LONG way to go to become even half decent. £50 million for what is currently not a player who will improve their defense (again imo) is a joke. They have spent around £100 million on Stones and Sterling - both overrated, both bought with at least 3 times the amount of money they should actually be worth.

Ferguson

Good player. Would have had him at United.

I'd say that getting Stones or Laporte was vital for Pep's style of play to work.

Now City have to replace Hart with a keeper who can fit Pep's plans

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Barcelona was looking for a central defender and hired Umtiti.

My opinion is City simply did want to spend a lot of money given the acquisitions made by United :smirk:

Angelinho

Big gamble, and a big test of character lies ahead for the lad. Only time will tell whether he can deliver on the hype that surrounds him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do you think he'll be a starter for a City? I only ask because he's a bargain on Dream Team.

Djemba-Djemba

Like I said in the transfer forum, I think this is a massive gamble.

He was terrible last season, truly terrible.

City have spent some money on centre backs recently haven't they? must be close to about £120m in about 3 years.

Kaos

Do you think he'll be a starter for a City? I only ask because he's a bargain on Dream Team.
Kompany is out for some time and their other defenders are pretty average, so yeah I'd say it's a safe bet. You don't pay £50million to warm the bench.