Film Joker (2019)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I hate you.
:lol:

You should visit more comic movie threads.

Beyond Joker, what this thread has highlighted for me is that a lot of people dont watch enough films.
That is generally the case with people who watch comic movies, that is why they think every comic movie they watch is the best movie they've seen in last few years since the last good comic movie. And now when there is actually some good comic movie in the sea of shit ones they can't shut up how excited they are. It's like GOT fans, many of them are convincing us that is the best TV show ever made, despite hardly watching anything else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Probably more so that they watch too many shit ones. Streaming platforms like Netflix have made it really easy to watch loads of average/crappy films so people just don't make the effort to find the gems anymore.
Like? Taxi Driver is on the streaming platforms. Which gems are we all struggling to find?

amolbhatia50k

Dude what the feck is it with you and taxi driver?
No idea. I thought we were going on a tangent from that. I was actually surprised the other day how many classics are on these streaming platforms. It's just not promoted/highlighted as much.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No idea. I thought we were going on a tangent from that. I was actually surprised the other day how many classics are on these streaming platforms. It's just not promoted/highlighted as much.
The problem is that loads of shitty modern films are there too and are usually highlighted more than the classics because Netflix knows more people will watch them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
All the 60 year olds in this thread crying because people like comic book films and not black and white french films from the 80’s is funny.

Joker was great fun, way more fun than something like taxi driver.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
All the 60 year olds in this thread crying because people like comic book films and not black and white french films from the 80’s is funny.

What about Tax driver though? How would you rate it in comparision with Joker?

amolbhatia50k

The problem is that loads of shitty modern films are there too and are usually highlighted more than the classics because Netflix knows more people will watch them.
True but where's the problem though? People will always consume more content and are pushed to to do so, from their own generation /time period. It appears your issue is more with the quality of films rather than what people choose to watch (given that is natural).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah when I flop out on the sofa watching Netflix I’ll decide to watch pride and prejudice instead of another fast and furious movie.

Because that’s what Netflix is mainly for .. high art.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Hey I'm 32 you piece of shit and take that back about the French or I'll throw a croissant at your face
Yeah when I flop out on the sofa watching Netflix I’ll decide to watch pride and prejudice instead of another fast and furious movie.

Because that’s what Netflix is mainly for .. high art.
Netflix can be for high art as much as shitty films no?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Really enjoyed Joker, Joaquin Phoenix is just outstanding and this blows away all that Marvel Avengers garbage.

I cant wait till the Marvel fad disappears.

And Phoenix Joker >>>> Ledger Joker

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Netflix can be for high art as much as shitty films no?

A majority of the time I would say most people use Netflix to binge watch or something to put on in the background/pig out in front of .. or you know, to Netflix and chill with.

There’s definitely a place for the classics there, but they’re not going to form the majority of the films. Mostly when I switch Netflix on for a lazy browse I’m just looking for something fun with lots of explosions.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Maybe I'm unduly harsh on Taxi driver. I do plan on rewatching it.
I have same feelings about it. It was just a bit dull and left me without any emotions. I just didn't care about the character too much, if at all.

My friend said to me you have to watch it few times and then you start to appreciate it more or notice some details you haven't before. Am pretty doubtful it will change my view, but yeah, planning on giving it another try.
Taxi Driver and Deniro are overrated imo

@ me bros

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I agree Taxi Driver is overrated. But I'll still watch that all day long over these comic movies.
Oh I agree about most but this transcended the weak Marvel genre and was an actual good movie imo

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really enjoyed Joker, Joaquin Phoenix is just outstanding and this blows away all that Marvel Avengers garbage.

When the Marvel fad disappears so will the superhero fad generally, which ain't something I'll weep over.

arthurka

It's a very sad movie and Phoenix does a remarkable job keeping you feeling sorry for him. But the atmo of the movie and the music score do it for me, absolutely brilliant score.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought it was phenomenal. Phoenix was incredible, the score was outstanding, the cinematography great and just an all round brilliant movie. Will probably be going to see it again.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
way more fun than something like taxi driver.
Taxi Driver wasn't meant to be fun.

Joker (I loved it by the way) was a complete mash of Taxi Driver but also King of Comedy, which is actually one of my favourite Scorsese / Deniro films. Joker wears its influence very visibly, but that's no bad thing. Those influences fit the film very well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why the feck are we discussing Taxi Driver in this thread?
Because this movie took heavy inspiration from that one. Nearly to the point of plagiarism at times. This felt like a mash up of Taxi Driver and King Of Comedy. Those are great films so I'm ok with that!

stepic

i figured the hard Taxi Driver leanings were what made DeNiro want to be involved with this in the first place. i kinda liked that.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The Joker character is based on a black and white 1920s silent film by a German expressionist.

Knowing more stuff is good.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The Joker character is based on a black and white 1920s silent German expressionist film.

Knowing more stuff is good.

I care so much what it’s based on.

Oh wait .. no, I sat down to watch a movie and it was really enjoyable. And that’s about the extent of how much I care.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You sound like you wear loads of shit scarves and like whining to people for enjoying things.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Because this movie took heavy inspiration from that one. Nearly to the point of plagiarism at times. This felt like a mash up of Taxi Driver and King Of Comedy. Those are great films so I'm ok with that!
That's going WAY too far. If you actually dig into cinema (and literature) for that matter artist ALWAYS take inspiration from other works. Calling it plagiarism is lazy and imprecise criticism.

Just this year my favorite movies like Midsommar, heavy inspiration from The Wicker Man and Standoff at Sparrow Creek took heavy inspiration from Reservoir Dogs. Both of those were extremely obvious riffs on the older movies but to imply plagiarism is honestly ridiculous and rather short sighted.

They are homages not "plagiarism". For me there is nothing wrong with that. Just because someone made Taxi Driver or Wicker Man or Reservoir Dogs doesn't mean the homages are not great movies, or even superior works of art (personally I rate all three of the new movies I just mentioned as flat out superior works of art to the older movies they homage to).

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
:lol:

You should visit more comic movie threads.

That is generally the case with people who watch comic movies, that is why they think every comic movie they watch is the best movie they've seen in last few years since the last good comic movie. And now when there is actually some good comic movie in the sea of shit ones they can't shut up how excited they are. It's like GOT fans, many of them are convincing us that is the best TV show ever made, despite hardly watching anything else.
Comic book fans would never compare comic books with serious literature, yet comic book movies about incel clowns are proclaimed as the best of the medium, this is one of the reasons why cinema is a unhappy artform that is headed towards oblivion.

Charlie Foley

I will say to the marvel movies’ credit they have gotten me through a lot of in flight hours as casual viewing.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Comic book fans would never compare comic books with serious literature, yet comic book movies about incel clowns are proclaimed as the best of the medium, this is one of the reasons why cinema is a unhappy artform that is headed towards oblivion.
He's not incel, at all. That should really be stopped.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What do people actually think an incel is? At no point does he express any incel ideas.

Also the joker in this film barely even resembles the comic book material, it’s incredibly loosely based.

Charlie Foley

Read a book! I just had 11 days of traveling and read 3 books :)
I am going through about a book a week at the moment. Sadly I am (a) in the ‘intense reading’ stretch of books so I don’t enjoy reading those on planes and (b) occupational hazard of my job I read an awful lot at work and in my free time anyway. Best way to eat up the time is to either listen to podcasts or bang through some pop music movies