Film Joker (2019)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I read this week that Phoenix had teased a sequel as a possibility.

I don't know how legit it is though I just read it in a paper.

Renegade

Can a simpleton like Arthur is portrayed become a mastermind Criminal that troubles the “greatest detective”?

Would that be realistic for a sequel? I’d be interested to see it regardless.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Can a simpleton like Arthur is portrayed become a mastermind Criminal that troubles the “greatest detective”?

This film and the joker in it are painted with a very different brush to any Batman films before it. If Batman existed in the world of this film he would be a very different Batman, a Batman who would have to be more grounded and human (screwed up?) than any previous portrayal. I think it could be brilliant.

Renegade

This film and the joker in it are painted with a very different brush to any Batman films before it. If Batman existed in the world of this film he would be a very different Batman, a Batman who would have to be more grounded and human (screwed up?) than any previous portrayal. I think it could be brilliant.
True, so you don’t think WB will be tempted to incorporate this Joker into the Batman world they’re creating with Patterson?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
True, so you don’t think WB will be tempted to incorporate this Joker into the Batman world they’re creating with Patterson?
I suppose that depends on the world WB is creating but I would really love to see a more grounded realistic Batman, probably the only hero you could do this with.

And in answer to this yes, I suppose, because of Arthurs chaotic and illogical thought patterns he could wreak havoc for a while.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This will probably pass the billion dollar mark either this weekend or next. A sequel is almost inevitable imo.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I saw this on Tuesday and liked it. It's very dark and I think what I liked most is that it probably pissed off lots of cosplaying Marvel fanbois expecting a different kind of film.

But the ripoff of Scorsese is quite clear.

AaronRedDevil

If they do a sequel, they have a chance to do something unique. I don't think it's a good idea to do a follow up from the first one. Trying to push batman into this just doesn't seem like the time or movie. What they could do is make another "Origin" movie like the first, same actor only a different story this time. Just like the Joker said. He'd prefer his past to be multiple choice. Like in the Dark Knight, Joker kept changing his backstory throughout the movie. It would be a brilliant idea and very interesting to see what could they cover next time. Since they covered stuff about Mental Health and society.

Friend of mine wrote a short story about the joker coming home from war and ended up suffering from PTSD. Could bring light to vets too. Dunno, just an idea.

Last edited:

Sanche7

In terms of profit is that going to make it the most profitable comic book film in history? Because it was made in peanuts in comparison to Marvel and even Dark Knight I assume.
Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Becomes Most Profitable Comic Book Movie Ever

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...becomes-most-profitable-comic-book-movie-ever

Forbes notes that Joker is on track to reach $957 million worldwide Friday, November 8. With a production budget of $62.5 million, that means Joker will have earned 15.3 times what it cost to make. That officially puts it ahead of the previous record-holder, 1994's The Mask.

1. Joker ($957 million gross / $62.5 million budget = 15.31)
  2. The Mask ($351 million gross / $23 budget = 15.26)
  3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ($200 million gross / $13.5 million budget = 14.81)
  4. Deadpool ($783 million gross / $58 million budget = 13.50)
  5. Batman ($411 million gross / $35 budget = 11.74)
  6. Venom ($854 million gross / $90 million budget = 9.49)
So it's a commercial success and has been very well received by the critics, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't grab a few Oscars.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Becomes Most Profitable Comic Book Movie Ever

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...becomes-most-profitable-comic-book-movie-ever

Forbes notes that Joker is on track to reach $957 million worldwide Friday, November 8. With a production budget of $62.5 million, that means Joker will have earned 15.3 times what it cost to make. That officially puts it ahead of the previous record-holder, 1994's The Mask.

1. Joker ($957 million gross / $62.5 million budget = 15.31)
  2. The Mask ($351 million gross / $23 budget = 15.26)
  3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ($200 million gross / $13.5 million budget = 14.81)
  4. Deadpool ($783 million gross / $58 million budget = 13.50)
  5. Batman ($411 million gross / $35 budget = 11.74)
  6. Venom ($854 million gross / $90 million budget = 9.49)
So it's a commercial success and has been very well received by the critics, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't grab a few Oscars.
The Mask, what a film :lol:

IhabX7

Not a good film by any means, but Joaquin Phoenix deserves credit as he tried his best and gave a memorable performance. The film feels like it was written by “deep” fifteen year olds.

AaronRedDevil

Not a good film by any means, but Joaquin Phoenix deserves credit as he tried his best and gave a memorable performance. The film feels like it was written by “deep” fifteen year olds.
I disagree. I think it's a masterpiece. Phoenix better get his oscar this time. It's long over due

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Decent movie, enjoyed it. The over the top adoration by some on here is just weird though. Don't even think it's Phoenix's best work.
Two favorite scenes were when he dances to Rock and Roll down the stairs and when he kills the co-worker in his apartment.

Sylar

Had made 1 billion
First r rated to do that, surprised Deadpool didn't

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Do they calculate gross for old films by including inflation? I used to pay a quid to watch a double bill in the 1980s.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why do fans of superhero films have a particular thing about how much money the film makes? I seem to see it mentioned in these threads way more than those of other blockbusters. Like in the Avengers thread where people seemed to be urging it to topple Avatar or whatever.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why do fans of superhero films have a particular thing about how much money the film makes? I seem to see it mentioned in these threads way more than those of other blockbusters. Like in the Avengers thread where people seemed to be urging it to topple Avatar or whatever.
Confirmation of how good it is.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Really enjoyed it. Though maybe that’s because it’s the first time I’ve been to the cinema by myself without the wife and kids for a long time.

Joaquin Phoenix is an incredible actor though, very underrated

Jev

For that reason I really do like the theory that he's not the joker but rather just the catalyst who inspired an anarchy and the man who would eventually become Batman's arch enemy.

Jev

Really enjoyed it. Though maybe that’s because it’s the first time I’ve been to the cinema by myself without the wife and kids for a long time.

Joaquin Phoenix is an incredible actor though, very underrated
I'd say he's widely regarded as one of the best actors alive so I don't think he can be considered underrated.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'd say he's widely regarded as one of the best actors alive so I don't think he can be considered underrated.
Totally. The Master, Walk the Line and I think Gladiator all bagged him best actor nominations during awards season.

lsd

The Oracle
You're wrong, and you're wrong because you are wrong!

The fast and furious movies show box office means nothing in how good a film is . Also works for star wars films and superhero films

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The fast and furious movies show box office means nothing in how good a film is . Also works for star wars films and superhero films
The fact that Avatar was the film Avengers fans wanted to see toppled says it all. Clearly being succesful isn't remotely the same as being good.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The fact that Avatar was the film Avengers fans wanted to see toppled says it all. Clearly being succesful isn't remotely the same as being good.
Definitely not, but these are franchises and centred on making money. If they bomb (DC, the Solo spin off) it'll change the direction of the future films, whereas continuing successes won't be messed with (MCU, Disney remaking all their animations). So I think it makes fans feel better that things aren't running off track.

Take this film - Phillips and Phoenix always said it was a one-off, then it makes a billion and a sequel is a dead cert.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Is this a cinema only film or can one also enjoy as much via a download on TV screen?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think you would enjoy it on your TV if you were so inclined.
Thanks for your reassurance. Have found a 23GB version online, so the quality should be as good as cinema, albeit on smaller screen.

Will watch soon and report back!

buchansleftleg

Well I finally got the chance to see this and I can't say I enjoyed it...and by that I mean I can't say I enjoyed the feeling of descent into madness that the film portrays very well. Not since "Eternal sunshine..." have I watched a film and felt so genuinely sick in my stomach at the horrid slide into chaos.

Yes it has a lot of scenes that are dripping wet with references / homages to Taxi driver / King of Comedy / Mean streets, but I think that Phoenix actually does a better job with acting the grand guignol horror aspects than all apart from de Niro in Taxi Driver.

The scared unloved little boy that lies at the heart of every Narcissist, the fantasies of greatness without talent and the violent denial of reality when it comes crashing in made me feel this was a very perceptive and well observed film.

The only scene that did not feel up to this high standard was...
the talk show scene at the end leading up to the violent attack on De-Niro's character. I felt this was played incorrectly - a talk show host would have either shut that down straight away or gone on the offensive and been more challenging / negative towards Arthur. it felt like he flip flopped from being supportive to get him to talk and then suddenly critical. It felt like an excuse to have Arthur have his big speech and put across his opinions.

It was only when Arthur went back on the offensive, pointing out how the show had been brutal and unkind to him that I felt we had regained the spirit of the film.

All in all a great film but not a great experience if you are not in the mood to explore some darker places.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Well I finally got the chance to see this and I can't say I enjoyed it...and by that I mean I can't say I enjoyed the feeling of descent into madness that the film portrays very well. Not since "Eternal sunshine..." have I watched a film and felt so genuinely sick in my stomach at the horrid slide into chaos.

Yes it has a lot of scenes that are dripping wet with references / homages to Taxi driver / King of Comedy / Mean streets, but I think that Phoenix actually does a better job with acting the grand guignol horror aspects than all apart from de Niro in Taxi Driver.

The scared unloved little boy that lies at the heart of every Narcissist, the fantasies of greatness without talent and the violent denial of reality when it comes crashing in made me feel this was a very perceptive and well observed film.

The only scene that did not feel up to this high standard was...
the talk show scene at the end leading up to the violent attack on De-Niro's character. I felt this was played incorrectly - a talk show host would have either shut that down straight away or gone on the offensive and been more challenging / negative towards Arthur. it felt like he flip flopped from being supportive to get him to talk and then suddenly critical. It felt like an excuse to have Arthur have his big speech and put across his opinions.

It was only when Arthur went back on the offensive, pointing out how the show had been brutal and unkind to him that I felt we had regained the spirit of the film.

All in all a great film but not a great experience if you are not in the mood to explore some darker places.
Flip-flopping by public figures? Surely not?
I think Murray Franklin was portrayed as the host who wants to give the public what they want. He made overtures to get Arthur on the show and carried on the pretence until it was time to unleash his inner bigot. Fame is everything to many people in society and the moral compass of celebs is getting more and more lost. Murray wanted a viral comedic car crash driver on the show simply because it was viral and to hell with any consideration of the consequences. Parallels with the fights on Big Brother spring to mind. Murray was a reflection of the crowd and he represented them as best he could. He thought the crowd wanted blood and he gave it to them. No pun intended. His ego turned him into the critic and he thought he could get a bigger reaction from his audience by turning on Arthur.
Misguided but possibly Trumpesque?
I saw the film when it first came out and it has remained with me longer than most films. De Niros final scene was shocking but necessary. The depth of the Jokers troubles peaked at that moment and there were serious consequences. The film built up to that moment of madness and the crescendo felt right. We had seen how Arthur's descent into serious mental health had been propagated by society's failings and the final straw was a public execution. So many parallels with the shootings in the States and ISA beheadings. We reap what we sow.

PS. Was shocked at how much I enjoyed the music of a convicted paedophile.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just watched it. It's an absolutely amazing movie, deserved all the accolades without the slightest doubt.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just watching it -- it's totally captivating.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
About right I'd say.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
About right I'd say.
I'm not sure but I thought the moment when he stabs the his ex-collegue and let's the little person walk out and also opening a latch for him as well. Pfff... I thought it was terrifying and tense and brilliant piece of acting from the both actors. Some amazing shots too imo. Not many movies make me gasp but this scene certainly made me.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm not sure but I thought the moment when he stabs the his ex-collegue and let's the little person walk out and also opening a latch for him as well. Pfff... I thought it was terrifying and tense and brilliant piece of acting from the both actors. Some amazing shots too imo. Not many movies make me gasp but this scene certainly made me.
The central performance was brilliant but I like the film as a whole far less. I'm so over all this superhero bollocks.