Film Joker (2019)

Sweet Square

It's not as publicized as all the stuff about the radical nationalism is, which is probably because the focus on Trump himself. But this has been a novel approach by the FBI and there are a couple of good documentaries and specials that came out (one called FBI on USA network I think? a couple years back) profiling the work they were doing. Here's just a quick overview statement of intent by the agency in that regard:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/keeping-america-secure-in-the-new-age-of-terror

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/confronting-the-rise-of-domestic-terrorism-in-the-homeland
Did you read the links I gave ? Sending me to the FBI website doesn't show anything(They have a real habit of just lying all the time) . The FBI has more interest in making up fake black terrorists than stopping white people shooting places up.

Sterling Archer

Did you read the links I gave ? Sending me links to the FBI website doesn't approve anything. The FBI has more interest in making up fake black terrorists than stopping white people shooting places up.
?? I'm not following you here. Seems you've somehow turned this into an anti FBI thing. That's your thing, not mine. Cheers.

Art Vandelay

I saw it on Friday night. Thought it was good, not deserving of any of the weird controversy. It was a good watch that at times lacked coherent sense, which people can defend as the Joker is nuts so it doesn't need to make sense, but it kind of does. I just can't see that guy becoming the actual Joker always one step ahead of Batman. I don't think Joker needs a backstory either, he works better when you have no clue who he is, where he came from or what in the name of feck he's up to. Good watch, let down by a lack of coherence and it all feeling a bit needless for me.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If the film relies on the dramatic cliché that mentally unsound people think differently to others - supposedly to the point of genius - isn't it possible that Joker will be 'one step ahead of Batman'? In the Hannibal Lecter novels, investigator Will Graham states that he caught Lecter because Hannibal is insane...yet Lecter is virtually always ahead of the game, and his pursuers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If the film relies on the dramatic cliché that mentally unsound people think differently to others - supposedly to the point of genius - isn't it possible that Joker will be 'one step ahead of Batman'? In the Hannibal Lecter novels, investigator Will Graham states that he caught Lecter because Hannibal is insane...yet Lecter is virtually always ahead of the game, and his pursuers.
Except in the film, Arthur is anything but intelligent.

MadMike

That review :rolleyes:

The notion that mental deterioration necessarily leads to violence against others – implied by the juxtaposition of Phoenix’s character Arthur stopping his medication with his increasingly frequent acts of violence – is not only misinformed but further amplifies stigma and fear.
The film makes absolutely no notion that mental deterioration will necessarily lead to violence. That's building a strawman. Mental deterioration can lead to violence, it's simply in a small minority of cases. Nevertheless patients suffering from particular mental health problems (psychosis being one of them), are more likely to engage in violent behaviour than are members of the general population. As they more likely to be recipients of violent behaviour too (as explained in the article).

We wouldn’t want to get bogged down in labels, but the psychopathology Arthur inhabits is foggy at best: his apparent lack of disordered thinking means the attempt to illustrate psychosis is half formed. This diagnostic vagueness may create a more relatable character that reflects the pain of any psychiatric illness; but it gives the impression that many disorders have been squashed into a plot device
Yeah no shit it's a plot device. It's a film about a comic book villain, it's not a medical case study into mental illness. Perhaps the fogginess of the psychopathology is precisely to protect specific illnesses from the stigma that could be attached to them from their "endorsement" by a murderous super-villain.

Cinematic depictions of mental illness – most infamously, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – have profound and lasting implications in the real world. It is widely acknowledged within psychiatry that Cuckoo’s Nest led to inappropriate levels of suspicion and misinformation regarding electro-convulsive therapy, and may have meant many people did not receive treatment that is proved and effective. All this due to a single film’s misinformed presentation. Films have the power to perpetuate stigma and fear, which is why the misrepresentation of severe mental illness in Joker should not be dismissed lightly.
But the film doesn't portray a form of therapy in bad light, like OFOTCN. It portrays in (extremely) bad light the effects of lack of treatment and care. If there's one overriding feeling projected from the movie is that we should care for and not abandon the mentally ill. That we should not withhold necessary treatment.

As a final point, movies tend to pick the extreme cases of mental health manifestations. It will either be someone who's brilliant and on the autism spectrum, or a depressed genius, or a murderous psychopath. Because normal is boring, normal doesn't make good entertainment, normal doesn't sell. And movies do that across the whole spectrum of subjects they explore. There's no TV series about any of the 450 normally functioning nuclear reactors in the world. But there's a series about the one reactor that exploded causing massive loss of life. It portrays the best or the worst and often in an exaggerated (even unrealistic) manner.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Yeah no shit it's a plot device. It's a film about a comic book villain, it's not a medical case study into mental illness. Perhaps the fogginess of the psychopathology is precisely to protect specific illnesses from the stigma that could be attached to them from their "endorsement" by a murderous super-villain.
There are plenty of film that have tackled mental illness and not simply being a case study(I posted a clip from one a page back). Yes I agree its a comic book movie so the bar is always going to be lower but that isn't argument against the points raised in the article. Also there is nothing to suggest that fogginess of the psychopathology is precisely to protect specific illnesses from the stigma. The director made this movie due to ''woke culture''. Maybe just maybe the guy who directed Hangover and Borat is just sort of lazy.

As a final point, movies tend to pick the extreme cases of mental health manifestations. It will either be someone who's a brilliant and on the autism spectrum, or a depressed genius, or a murderous psychopath. Because normal is boring, normal doesn't make good entertainment, normal doesn't sell. And movies do that across the whole spectrum of subjects they explore. There's no TV series about any of the 450 normally functioning nuclear reactors in the world. But there's a series about the one reactor that exploded causing massive loss of life. It portrays the best or the worst and often in an exaggerated (even unrealistic) manner.
And ? Well duh gotta make that money again isn't really a argument against the points in the article.

Sterling Archer

I appreciate your sharing that. I hope you didn't just accept as gospel all that a couple of attention-seeking clinicians put together to ride on the coat tails of the movie's fame. As @MadMike and @amolbhatia50k pointed out, it's rather bad.

There is one major research finding of relevance that they call out, but miss the mark completely:

Studies show this association is exaggerated and people with severe mental illness are more vulnerable to violence from others than the general population.
The majority of the Joker film is portraying just that! It's this man with a very publicly known mental deficiency being emotionally and physically abused, robbed, beat up, made fun of by just about everyone. I mean, Arthur is literally handing out a bloody quarter card asking people to take it easy on him - and their response is shameful...and according to the research accurate. It makes me wonder whether the authors actually watched the film, or just rehashed their take on scenes others talked about or seen in the trailer.

Their biggest contention is that the portrayal is an amalgamate of various mental illness, not uniquely specific to any one. It's clear they're both not knowledgeable on the history of the Joker's character and quite distant from the film's premise. Last week in my reply to you I actually cited exactly this point as why I found the film to be such a satisfying portrayal of the graphic novel and character so relatable/easy to sympathize for viewers of many walks, not just mental illness or one type:

And the way a comic book is an exaggeration of reality, isn't that the perfect joker? All these issues compounded into one fecked up killer clown?
Really what that piece wreaks of is a couple psychiatrists wanting their fifteen minutes of fame with a big disconnect from reality. If they have serious concerns about pop culture and movies influencing real life behaviors there's a plethora of targets more deserving. 13 Reasons Why on Netflix for example.

Art Vandelay

But Batman is crazy too. He's a man dressed as a giant bat going around twatting people in the face in the middle of the night. So his crazy would cancel out Joker's crazy.

I just don't see this guy as a genuine threat to Batman. It's like things just get away from him and things just happen rather than him being a mad genius that's operating on a whole different level.

Schneckerl

Most negative critic reviews (often from the US) I've seen barely talk about the the movie itself.
This is like a reverse SW: Last Jedi. Looks set up to be honest.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
But Batman is crazy too. He's a man dressed as a giant bat going around twatting people in the face in the middle of the night.
I must have missed that subtle clue.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just seen it and thought it was brilliant. My friend didn't like it and had no idea at all who any of the Batman related characters were, which didn't help.

I fecked up and accidentally insinuated that a stupid person might have trouble noticing some of the "acts" Joker may have actually commited throughout the movie because the director didn't exactly slap us in the face with certain stuff and kind of just alluded to things, if you seen the movie you probably know what I mean.

A stupid person probably wouldn't be totally thrilled about the slow but necessary speed the movie chose to take either to detail the transformation of his character.

She's really mad at me. I'm a pompous dick, I feel bad :(
I’d feel bad as well. If I’d have seen that movie and felt superior for thinking it was “subtle”, I’d question all my choices to this point.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't think the film was subtle at all. It was actually one of its strengths other than the dumb flashback scene.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Laboriously painful watch. The only part I liked was his dancing.

It was like they made Phoenix sit in a room and watch King of Comedy and Taxi Driver on repeat until his eyes bled, then stuck some face paint on him and told him to contort his body like Bale in the Machinist.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
i think there's to much of this going on with films lately. Jump to 4:17

Jagga7

I thought the film was great. Well acted and a good soundtrack to boot. It's also very unclear how much of the film was actually real which makes it better for me.

Sterling Archer

Most negative critic reviews (often from the US) I've seen barely talk about the the movie itself.
This is like a reverse SW: Last Jedi. Looks set up to be honest.
Can you explain the Last Jedi thing?

I heard about controversy with the film but not the reviews before seeing it. Loved it. Some of the reviews I read, like you've said, are rather pointless. You think it's staged for attention?

Going to watch it today, excited to see what it is all about
Enjoy! I'm probably going to have to go see it again. The first viewing left me inexplicably uncomfortable and also in awe for a few days.

Getting closer to making as much as Avengers Infinity Wars.
Seriously? That would be remarkable.

MadMike

It'll make a billion, I reckon. Which will make it the highest grossing R-rated film of all time by quite some margin. That record is currently held by Deadpool at $783m, and Joker is forecast to exceed that this coming weekend (at $745m atm).

But it has no chance of exceeding the $2B haul of Infinity War. Very hard for an R-rated psychological thriller to get close to a PG-13 comic book blockbuster.

Last edited:

Irwin99

I saw it again with a mate last night. I really liked it, the same as the first time. The perversity of the film and the character is weirdly endearing yet uncomfortable. The moment
when he goes on the Murray show and stares into space for a few seconds before saying 'this is exactly how i imagined it would be' is telling as the 'real' world is just as messed up as his fantasies'

As some have pointed out, although he doesn't seem a particularly good candidate for a super intelligent criminal mastermind he is good at exploiting chaos as evidenced in the second train scene. He does grow in confidence as the film progresses too so maybe if they do a sequel they can reference that his meds were impairing his intelligence. I presume he's been on stuff like that all his life.

Art Vandelay

I must have missed that subtle clue.
You have to pay close attention and it took me a couple of watches, but he's definitely dressed as a giant bat in The Dark Knight Rises. Possibly even in the other films too, I'd need to rewatch. Bold choice by the director, it's very subtle. When it clicks that this Batman fella is dressed up like a bat it blows your mind.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
You have to pay close attention and it took me a couple of watches, but he's definitely dressed as a giant bat in The Dark Knight Rises. Possibly even in the other films too, I'd need to rewatch. Bold choice by the director, it's very subtle. When it clicks that this Batman fella is dressed up like a bat it blows your mind.
Where in the movie is this bit ?

izec

Thought it was a very good movie. Joaquin Phoenix nailed that role, like in The Master. Wished the Joker was a bit longer, the movie picked up pace in the last third. The music was amazing as well