Film Joker: Folie à Deux (Joker 2)

Godfather

It does? I massively disagree with that. It’s no deeper than the latest Dr Strange and claiming that deals with “trauma” or arguing Moon Knight focuses on mental health treatment.
Jesus... Now that's an exaggeration if I've ever seen one.

The joker is actually a movie I'd watch twice, not something I'd ever say about a Marvel movie apart from Deadpool which was actually funny. Mostly because Reynolds is class.

For all the shit DC gets, they still made the the best comic adaption in Dark Knight and also Joker was better than almost everything coming from Marvel.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If only Daniel Blake in I, Daniel Blake wore a Batman outfit.

See, this is what you can do with comic book characters !

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I liked the first one. It's silly to dislike it based on how other people perceived it or whatever.

A musical sequel is just chaotic enough to work.

decorativeed

I liked the first one. It's silly to dislike it based on how other people perceived it or whatever.

A musical sequel is just chaotic enough to work.
Has anyone actually said that's how they feel, or is it just what Pogue was theorising?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is that really a thing? Sounds like something fans say to dismiss any criticism.
Has anyone actually said that's how they feel, or is it just what Pogue was theorising?
I've definitely seen people hating on it for multiple reasons, whether it be the similarity to Taxi Driver or the fact that a load of incels loved it and looked up to him. Then you've got the general group of people who dislike anything popular.

You've also got this quote from this very thread.

I didn't really like the first one. About as meaningful of any Marvel movie, but somehow tricked people into thinking it was artsy and intellectual.
The fact that people thought it was artsy and intellectual doesn't impact my view of the film. That's how other see it.

It's by no means by favourite film or anything, but I watched, enjoyed and that was all I took from it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the first movie was like Mc Donalds releasing a "gourmet" burger. Don't see what a musical version could ruin.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Jesus... Now that's an exaggeration if I've ever seen one.

The joker is actually a movie I'd watch twice, not something I'd ever say about a Marvel movie apart from Deadpool which was actually funny. Mostly because Reynolds is class.

For all the shit DC gets, they still made the the best comic adaption in Dark Knight and also Joker was better than almost everything coming from Marvel.
Deadpool 2 is also really fecking awful. Ryan Reynolds is also mostly awful in everything.
We’ve figured it out. The Joker is for people who enjoy Ryan Reynolds movies.

Godfather

Deadpool 2 is also really fecking awful. Ryan Reynolds is also mostly awful in everything.
We’ve figured it out. The Joker is for people who enjoy Ryan Reynolds movies.
Wasn't as good as the first one I still enjoyed it. And still by far the best Marvel movies.
Also who doesn't enjoy Reynolds movies to some extent? They are enjoyable for what they are.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Joker in the first film wasn't the real one?

I'm not into comic books but watch some of these movies now and then, so forgive my ignorance.
Due to his age and the fact that Bruce Wayne is a kid, and him not appearing to be a criminal mastermind (outside of his own head), there was a lot of talk upon its release that this Joker was more than likely an inspiration for the real Joker, though it's not something that's ever been confirmed or denied by the filmmakers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The first one was just like a bad musical without the music. It was melodramatic, inconsequential, vacuous, had stagey set pieces, bold themes slapped in your face, garish set design. Joker 2 can stick in a pop star, some songs and the tone doesn't even need to change from the first.

A character grandly singing about where can they get some antipsychotic meds, wouldn't be any less subtle than the hospital scenes in Joker.

Obviously it would create a dissonance within a section of the fan base who wouldn't allow themselves to see the similarities.
What's it like being so smart?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didn’t like it cos it’s sledgehammer unsubtle and ultimately little more than Baby’s First Taxi Driver, made by the director of the Hangover movies thinking he’s above the material, but ironically only proving he’s no Scorsese.

Its a shallow cynical imitation of the films it’s trying to homage. And I’d much rather a Marvel film trying to be unashamed fun than a pretentiously cynical and mechanical exercise in “worthy” film making by a hack.

Phoenix is pretty good though, sure. Could do without all the dancing, personally.
Me and Mockney agreeing on a movie... feck me!

Andy_Cole

To be honest i dont care.. it's not my money they're using to make the movie.

If it's good I'll watch it. If it's bad I'll probably still going to watch it.

So.. just make them
Yeh I’m not bothered about tarnishing legacy and all that bullshit. I’m looking forward to it. I’ll still always like the first one. Maybe this one too.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll watch it - I liked the first movie and gave me something from a 'superhero' type movie that I hadn't got before. Looking forward to seeing where they go with it. Phoenix is superb as well.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I have an irrational hatred towards Lady Gaga for some reason.
I'm the same - can't stand her.

Also what a disappointment that they're going down a musical shit rom-com esque vibe for the sequel.

Idxomer

I have no problem with Gaga except that I don't think she can act.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I like some of the gaga songs, wtf does she know about cameras?

Irwin99

Think I read somewhere that Hildur Guðnadóttir, the lady who did the incredible soundtrack to the original, is back on board with the second movie so i'm guessing Lady Gaga won't have full control of the music.

This version of the Joker hears music in his head so it makes sense they would further go down this route as it's a part of his delusions.

Sylar

i think it could work with this Joker movie. Gaga as Harley is something I never thought about. But apparently shes been great in AHS