Jonathan David

flappyjay

Not claiming to have ever watched him before or after the World Cup but he didnt look good during the World Cup. Ofcourse it isnt easy to look good for a weaker team (Lewa didnt look as good as he does for his club) but i was disappointed when watching David during the World Cup. There were Manchester United rumours so i did watch with extra interest but from the front 3 of Canada he was the least impressive player. Davies obviously is known as a very good player but Buchanan also had better games.

Im sure he is a better player than how he looked at the World Cup. His name is going around for years as a future top striker and he performs very well in the French league... that wont happen if he really is a bad player.
To be fair I would say never base you opinion of a player on the international stage. If you saw de bruyne in the world Cup having never seen him play you wouldn't believe his one of the best players in the pl.

NoPace

Dreary me are we still talking about J.David, did anyone watch him in the World Cup ? nothing sort of useless. A poor man's Emile Heskey and that's putting it mildly. Please please just no.
He's closer to Vassell than Heskey ya lazy possible racist

NoPace

Not claiming to have ever watched him before or after the World Cup but he didnt look good during the World Cup. Ofcourse it isnt easy to look good for a weaker team (Lewa didnt look as good as he does for his club) but i was disappointed when watching David during the World Cup. There were Manchester United rumours so i did watch with extra interest but from the front 3 of Canada he was the least impressive player. Davies obviously is known as a very good player but Buchanan also had better games.

Im sure he is a better player than how he looked at the World Cup. His name is going around for years as a future top striker and he performs very well in the French league... that wont happen if he really is a bad player.
He was terrible at the World Cup, but he gets into the box, presses and links play well, so he'd fit decently as our #9.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

What’s the Ligue 1 opinion on this guy?

His stats look similar to Osihmen at Lille and he would be cheaper than him.

I originall thought he was a penalty machine but after watching some highlights he does score goals.

Goals from every season

TheGame

@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

I originall thought he was a penalty machine but after watching some highlights he does score goals.

Goals from every season

He's a solid player and I'm a fan but putting my bias aside, from the games I've seen of him, he doesn't seem clinical enough. That doesn't mean ETH can't make a player out of him though. Think he will be well suited to the PL.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

Goals from every season

@BenitoSTARR would be a better person to ask specifically on David.

I like his energy and he does know where the goal is, but after watching how Ten Hag has utilised Weghorst, he might lack the physicality Ten Hag is looking for in his striker.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

Goals from every season

Good player who's showed consistency. I can see him working under ETH if he wants to use him ala a fit, available and scoring Martial :lol:

avgp_1

One of the better cheaper striker options we can look at. Not too quick but his link play and finishing is particularly good.

OL29

@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

Goals from every season

I haven’t seen that much of him but I do have concerns about his ability score enough goals at this level. His all round play looks good though, and he’s definitely fit Ten Hag’s pressing style.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

I like his energy and he does know where the goal is, but after watching how Ten Hag has utilised Weghorst, he might lack the physicality Ten Hag is looking for in his striker.
Isn’t Martial more of the player ETH would want playing upfront with somebody like Weghorst offering something else of the bench?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@Lash
@JPRouve
@OL29
@kouroux

Goals from every season

He’s a very good pressing forward for his age he’s certainly above average and works a front line really well. I kind of see him suiting a Ten Hag team as a Martial replacement. Martial is technically superior but David is a better presser and two footed as well as having a bit of pedigree from winning Ligue 1 against the odds. He’s performed for different systems well and adapted from Beligian to French leagues well too. He’s also very committed to improvement from what I’ve heard and read.

I do think he’s underrated by a few more because he’s playing for a god awful side creatively and yet he still puts up very respectable numbers. So it’s hard to look at his data and sift through what is his team being a bit average impacting him and what is his own shortcomings.

I’d be delighted if we were to sign David and unfortunately had to let Martial go because I believe there is an intelligent forward who would work well in a positional and pressing side which is how I’d imagine he’d be used.

That said I think with Rashford Ten Hag is more likely to go for a more physical player with a bit better hold up play. There isn’t anything wrong with David here but it’s not his strength. David has historically worked best with a strike partner and I worry that would clash with what Rashford would do or it could be a perfect mobile forward mixture that is just really hard to tell unfortunately.

I do think he’ll move this summer I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s to a very good PL side and I wouldn’t be surprised if we are seriously interested in him. Just don’t expect him to bang in 30 goals.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He’s a very good pressing forward for his age he’s certainly above average and works a front line really well. I kind of see him suiting a Ten Hag team as a Martial replacement. Martial is technically superior but David is a better presser and two footed as well as having a bit of pedigree from winning Ligue 1 against the odds. He’s performed for different systems well and adapted from Beligian to French leagues well too. He’s also very committed to improvement from what I’ve heard and read.

I do think he’s underrated by a few more because he’s playing for a god awful side creatively and yet he still puts up very respectable numbers. So it’s hard to look at his data and sift through what is his team being a bit average impacting him and what is his own shortcomings.

I’d be delighted if we were to sign David and unfortunately had to let Martial go because I believe there is an intelligent forward who would work well in a positional and pressing side which is how I’d imagine he’d be used.

That said I think with Rashford Ten Hag is more likely to go for a more physical player with a bit better hold up play. There isn’t anything wrong with David here but it’s not his strength. David has historically worked best with a strike partner and I worry that would clash with what Rashford would do or it could be a perfect mobile forward mixture that is just really hard to tell unfortunately.

I do think he’ll move this summer I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s to a very good PL side and I wouldn’t be surprised if we are seriously interested in him. Just don’t expect him to bang in 30 goals.
Great, what do you think his price will be?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Great, what do you think his price will be?
I mean he’s definitely worth upwards of £45m it depends how desperate Lille are for cash.

Potentially could get him around that figure. I’d be very surprised if it’s much less given he’s one of the top scorers and at a very good age.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

That's my worry. That space is sorta already occupied by Bruno and Rashford, so we need someone a bit more physical to lead the line. I'm sure Ten Hag could find a system that works with them all in, as he's far more tactically astute than me, but based on what he's doing now, David doesn't fit in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looked even worse than Cackpoo in the World Cup.
That’s not hard given that Gakpo was excellent at the World Cup.

Anyway, David isn’t good enough for me. Would get 12 goals a season.

footballbite

That’s not hard given that Gakpo was excellent at the World Cup.
He really wasn't - he was crap aside from when he occasionally popped up with a goal. David was similar, if not slightly higher, levels of crap without the goals.

Playing for Canada. Context is also important.
I can understand that, but Alphonso Davies still looked bright and dangerous for Canada. Davies looked head and shoulders above most his team-mates, including David who didn't look any better than Junior Hoilett.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He really wasn't - he was crap aside from when he occasionally popped up with a goal. David was similar, if not slightly higher, levels of crap without the goals.

I can understand that, but Alphonso Davies still looked bright and dangerous for Canada. Davies looked head and shoulders above most his team-mates, including David who didn't look any better than Junior Hoilett.
Davies role for Canada means he’s heavily involved in all aspects from build up to final third play.

David as the striker has less opportunities to get involved and naturally relies more on the supply from a very poor side overall.

Pointless comparison to have made. Apples and pears.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Davies role for Canada means he’s heavily involved in all aspects from build up to final third play.

David as the striker has less opportunities to get involved and naturally relies more on the supply from a very poor side overall.

Pointless comparison to have made. Apples and pears.
He did look a little lost though. He obviously wasn't in a role as influential as Davies's, but he also produced very little in the CF position. There can be a variety of reasons for that (nerves?), but he didn't really appear as the 'good player in a poor team' type at the WC.

I know he's been important for Canada before though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He did look a little lost though. He obviously wasn't in a role as influential as Davies's, but he also produced very little in the CF position. There can be a variety of reasons for that (nerves?), but he didn't really appear as the 'good player in a poor team' type at the WC.

Canada wouldn’t have qualified for the World Cup without him. He’s 3 goals away from being their record goalscorer in about 20 less games.

It would have been incredibly hard for any striker to perform in that Canada side.

He’s well above average for his age and if you think about the kind of strikers who never made it to the world cup like Haaland it’s hardly a stick to beat him with that he helped his side achieve that for only the 2nd time in their history.

Judge him based on his club career which has been good so far.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Canada wouldn’t have qualified for the World Cup without him. He’s 3 goals away from being their record goalscorer in about 20 less games.

It would have been incredibly hard for any striker to perform in that Canada side.

He’s well above average for his age and if you think about the kind of strikers who never made it to the world cup like Haaland it’s hardly a stick to beat him with that he helped his side achieve that for only the 2nd time in their history.

Judge him based on his club career which has been good so far.
David really struggled for Canada playing up front on his own in the World Cup. He was at his best when playing in a front 2 with Larin or playing on the counter. He's always thrived with lots of space behind the opposition back line, but when they sit back, he becomes easy to contain when playing up front.

He's at his best when he's not leading the line. He has to play anywhere behind the striker. Maybe he can become better up front like Rashford has in a team with more creativity, overall, but in a team like Lille or Canada, he's going to be quiet if he's not being fed the ball.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just to clarify that this is what I meant with my final sentence. He's definitely been good for Canada before (@mazhar13 explained it beautifully) and yes, he's good for Lille as well; but his WC performance wasn't good - whatever the reason.

And I totally agree, nonsense to judge him on that WC performance alone. It does provide an interesting perspective into setups that do and do not work for him though, as Mazhar explained.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hattrick so far. Top scorer in Ligue 1 he’ll be snapped up by a bigger club soon

jesperjaap

One of the better cheaper striker options we can look at. Not too quick but his link play and finishing is particularly good.
Is he a cheap option though? He seem to be fairly well courted outside of the big names, on a lot of peoples radars?

He seems inbetween the big signings and the cheaper ones to me, would have thought in todays market he is madly, probably a £40-50m player.

I've not seen a huge amount of his tbh, but he just looks decent technically, links up play pretty well, decent finisher....but nothing that really stands out.

Personally I think its more than likely we really need to sign two strikers this summer and there are 3/4 big names and a few South AMerican gambles both cheap and huge potential cheaper than David and no doubt a host of other chepaer options around Europe.

Personal opinion only Ramos and David aere both no for me.....would rather we are signing a Kane, Omishen, Vlahovic type signing and a cheaper gamble for our squad

daba

Is he a cheap option though? He seem to be fairly well courted outside of the big names, on a lot of peoples radars?

He seems inbetween the big signings and the cheaper ones to me, would have thought in todays market he is madly, probably a £40-50m player.

I've not seen a huge amount of his tbh, but he just looks decent technically, links up play pretty well, decent finisher....but nothing that really stands out.

Personally I think its more than likely we really need to sign two strikers this summer and there are 3/4 big names and a few South AMerican gambles both cheap and huge potential cheaper than David and no doubt a host of other chepaer options around Europe.

Personal opinion only Ramos and David aere both no for me.....would rather we are signing a Kane, Omishen, Vlahovic type signing and a cheaper gamble for our squad
It’s a weird one I agree, he looks like a decent all round striker but I don’t see anything spectacular in him.

That being said he does score goals - about 1 in every 2 games across his career and this season he seems to have gone up a gear.

Out of the 5 strikers you mention there, he would be my 5th choice, but he’s not a bad 5th choice and I wouldn’t be too disappointed (unless Chelsea managed to get any of the other 4 at a good price).

Reactions: Cheimoon

NoPace

Fast, good composure and finisher, presses, uses his pace well, good link play. Ideally we'd sign a bigger #9 and him and actually have 2 quality options up top.

If I told you we're about to rip off 4 straight 85+ point, deep in CL knockout seasons here, you'd guess that Rashford is the LW scoring a ton of goals. Most of the great sides have 2 serious goal scorers, so the less we have to play him up top the better, and he'll be a great 3rd option when one is injured or suspended.

If we don't get Ramos (I think the bigger names are unlikely), I could see us signing David, keeping one or both of Weghorst and Martial and taking a year to breathe and get new owners. Last year hopefully (and at the rate he's going I'd say likely) the last year Garnacho can't be relied on fully yet if Rashford is out, and Antony is here to stay as a starter for that price and with his potential and how much Ten Hag likes him.

avgp_1

He is cheaper compared to other options we are looking at. Most strikers available would range between 60-80m in this current market and someone like Osimhen would be worth well more than a 100m. If we can get him for somewhere around 40m-50m, I would be quite happy and look to add to the midfield

Moffi and Gouiri went for close to 30m if I'm correct, I don't think we'd be charged incredible amounts for him. The other choice would have been Toney around similar prices

Osimhen and Kolo Muani are 2 of my favourite options but both look too pricey at the moment

croadyman

He is cheaper compared to other options we are looking at. Most strikers available would range between 60-80m in this current market and someone like Osimhen would be worth well more than a 100m. If we can get him for somewhere around 40m-50m, I would be quite happy and look to add to the midfield

Moffi and Gouiri went for close to 30m if I'm correct, I don't think we'd be charged incredible amounts for him. The other choice would have been Toney around similar prices

Osimhen and Kolo Muani are 2 of my favourite options but both look too pricey at the moment
Absolutely certain we will break the bank for Osimhen IF the new owners are in place,gut feeling is that this guy is around 5th on the shortlist just below Vlahovic/Kolo Muani