Jonathan Moss asked Pogba to stop taking the piss just because he tried Rainbow flick

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And people talk down on Rooney.

Superb to stick up for our key man after an absolutely shocking tackle that could have snapped Ronaldo in half.
Young hot headed Wazza :drool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Always made me laugh that Andy gray was more interested in slagging Rooney off for defending his mate, rather than the dickhead who tried to snap Ronaldo.
“I don’t understand Wayne Rooney”

Yes Andy, that’s because you’ve never had any mates.

Fitchett

He has been the worst ref in the league since I first saw him ref our game against Palace in Sept 2013, when Ashley Young conned him into giving us a penalty. We've had very little from him since then. This just sums up the shit refs that there are in Britain - allow the thugs to rule and persecute the skillful players. I know that the European Super League plans have been widely condemned, but surely, one improvement to come is that we can expect a higher standard of refereeing there?

Tragically Hip

This is racist, pure and simple. Would he have told De Bruyne he's 'taking the piss'? Mount? Kane?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
fecking idiot. How can he not be suspended for telling a player to stop taking the piss. Pogba did a great job holding it up in that corner too.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Watching that clip makes it sound like a Sunday league game, winning 11-0 and against 8 men, not the premier league.

How much longer will the PL allow Moss to ref games..

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If someone does a "rainbow flick" on me then you can be certain that I'm going to take a piece of him the next chance I get. With that being said, I will expect the ref to give me my proper booking...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I keep reading the thread title as Jonathan Ross and thinking to myself it's got absolutely nothing to do with him.

crossy1686

career ending
So a referee can make a decision subjectively now based on whether or not he feels the player deserves to be fouled for 'taking the piss'? Feck me that's piss poor

UDontMessWith24

I think they can. A quiet word in the ear of a player who is taunting already beaten opponents is good refereeing IMO. Obviously, that’s not the scenario here.
Maybe in a U12 game. These are grown men. If we were up 5-0 the referee should referee the game and if there's a bad foul committed than both the player that was fouled and the player doing the fouling will deal with the consequences. If you showboat you might get clattered. If you clatter a player you might get sent off.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe in a U12 game. These are grown men. If we were up 5-0 the referee should referee the game and if there's a bad foul committed than both the player that was fouled and the player doing the fouling will deal with the consequences. If you showboat you might get clattered. If you clatter a player you might get sent off.
Nope. The exact opposite, if anything. When dealing with professionals there’s even more of an onus on the referee to keep talking with them, to try and prevent and any flare-ups before they happen rather than just reacting to incidents after the fact.

If you ever watch a sport where the referees are mic’d up you will hear the constant chat going on throughout the game. The same thing happens in football but we can only hear it now there’s no fans and pitch side mic’s occasionally eavesdropping on the conversation.

RedDevilRoshi

Jon Moss needs to have a look at his own performance before he starts commenting on Paul’s.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
That showing skills during a match somehow is disrespectful is the most ridiculous thing. The unexpected will feels disrespectful to someone. Being scored on feels disrespectful to someone.

Skills that develops the game is just fun. Even if not all tricks will live on.

What happened to Brazilian Kerlon and the seal dribble?

MikeeMike

Reminds of Nani v Arsenal when even our players told him to stop taking the p*ss. I loved it.

Flamini (i think) tried to literally break his legs but he skipped over it luckily. Motson said players don’t like it. Home fans loved it.
Pogba flick was a genuine attempt to get past a surely not snowboarding.

Last edited:

Lappen

Jon Moss needs to have a look at his own performance before he starts commenting on Paul’s.
I have an anecdote I really like from the time I was playing.
My teammate told the ref he was useless, and the ref responded that my teammate wasn't that good himself. My teammate responded that thats why teams have substitutes and that he would have loved if referees did the same!

He did get a yellow... :0)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have an anecdote I really like from the time I was playing.
My teammate told the ref he was useless, and the ref responded that my teammate wasn't that good himself. My teammate responded that thats why teams have substitutes and that he would have loved if referees did the same!

He did get a yellow... :0)
Sunday league with my brother about 15 years ago - brother was scythed down and after getting a bit of treatment my brother asked the ref if he was going to do anything about it. Ref said he’s trying to keep it friendly and it was early in the game, we were obviously irate about it because it was as clear red as you will get. So the ref said to my brother “Right you decide, keep it friendly and move on or I can give him a card”. My brother said “well it’s a card obviously”. Referee gave the player a yellow card and then, laughing, gave my brother a yellow card too and said “one of my pet hates is opposition players waving cards trying to get the opposition booked”. Needless to say it was not the friendly game the ref was hoping for.

This is the sort of bullshit mentality that is rife in Referees though, from the lowest levels of football right up to the top.

Lappen

Sunday league with my brother about 15 years ago - brother was scythed down and after getting a bit of treatment my brother asked the ref if he was going to do anything about it. Ref said he’s trying to keep it friendly and it was early in the game, we were obviously irate about it because it was as clear red as you will get. So the ref said to my brother “Right you decide, keep it friendly and move on or I can give him a card”. My brother said “well it’s a card obviously”. Referee gave the player a yellow card and then, laughing, gave my brother a yellow card too and said “one of my pet hates is opposition players waving cards trying to get the opposition booked”. Needless to say it was not the friendly game the ref was hoping for.

This is the sort of bullshit mentality that is rife in Referees though, from the lowest levels of football right up to the top.
You are absolutely right!
Great story!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Refs often talk to players like this. They try to manage the tone of the game as well as coldly enforcing the laws of the game.

So long as Pogba can say "I'll do what I want, just enforce the rules" and not get in trouble I dont really see much of an issue.

UncleBob

Refs often talk to players like this. They try to manage the tone of the game as well as coldly enforcing the laws of the game.

So long as Pogba can say "I'll do what I want, just enforce the rules" and not get in trouble I dont really see much of an issue.
It's a bit of an issue that a blatant yellow card is ignored while Pogba is told to stop being a knob.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Moss (and many other refs int he PL) are so poor. I like Pogba's answer though, well I'm playing football, like saying what would you know about it

Oranges038

Had one where a referee didn't give a stone wall penalty against me in a game. We went straight up the other end and scored, their players went mental at the ref, even our players knew he messed up. Started a whole series of dirty play, poor tackles and arguments.

A bit later, they get into the box, for no reason the referee just awards them a penalty. More fighting and arguing with the referee and both sets of players. He's trying to calm them down and flashing yellow cards, which he didn't put in the book. I'm in goal waiting for the penalty, he's doing his nut telling people to shut up etc. Turns to me and I say something like, "well, it's all your own fault for making such rubbish decisions" maybe not not my exact words. But I think I was the only one booked and written in the book for it. The cnut.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

This is true
Blatant yellow cards being ignored is always an issue of course.
Referees are there to referee the game, using the laws of the game. Players are there to play the game within the laws of the game.

John Moss had no right to speak to Pogba as he did, and clearly decided not to book the player for what was at least a yellow because of his personal feeling towards the way Pogba played the game. Which to be quite frank is ridiculous but also extremely common. How many times did we used to see Ronaldo booked for petty retribution after a heavy foul that went unpunished. It needs addressing.