Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
90 mins wasn't clever, but surely getting game time is what he needs now. If the ankle gets stronger the pain wont be as prevalent. Also, I wouldn't slag Jonny, it's a great trait in a player to have that loyalty and desire to play even through the pain barrier.

lysglimt

Scout
if he managed 90 mins it can't be that bad I hope - but let's hope he drops the international in order to be fit for the weekend

kps88

BBC saying he's a doubt for Tuesday. Really hope they don't take any chances, it's not like he's essential for them to beat Luxembourg.

Irwinwastheking

That was my thinking. I don't know if any of you lads have gone back to playing after a bad ankle injury, but I've had a break and a few sprains and it's always sore for the first while and you just have to play through it till the strength comes back.

Best case scenario now would be Jonny to sit out the midweek game and play next weekend for us.

Ash_G

Thought he had a good game and looks like he'll pickup from last season. Showed some great technique at times to carry the ball forward. Really think when he's fit he'll push rio all the way to partner vidic.

Godfather

Too rash. Almost gave away a pen, cleared a ball when there was absolutely no need to which lead to a corner.
Not a very good performance overall.

Irwinwastheking

Well said Ash. That one occasion where he carried the ball out of defense surrounded by Gala players was great!

Neutral

BTV
Lucky to not concede a penalty right at the end - and it was a penalty no doubt about it. Good aside from that...nice to have him back.

Ash_G

Yh he made an error on that but so did vidic who's had a few game now. Not a perfect return but given it was a tough game, made tougher by some poor play from players ahead of the defence I thought he coped well personally, certainly don't think rio in recent form would have done any better.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Serious brain fart there at the end. Should have been the tying penalty, costing us 2 points.

Also I feel like he didn't win many aerial battles, but that could have been my imagination - and Elmander is pretty big.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thought he looked a lot better than either Vidic or Rio have this season thus far. Good awareness and solid defensively throughout...barring the spastic episode right at the end, which was still only half as bad as Vidic's spastic episode right at the start.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Great to have him back, will be needed. Was a bit lucky at the end have to say mind you.

Ekeke

Was good but that'll probably be the most blatant penalty decision he gets away with in his whole career. Very nearly cost us big time.

mufcwarm92

I thought he actually brought a lot of calmness to the defence, which seems odd given that it's Rio who dropped to the bench and Evans hasn't always shown such calmness. Agreed though that the tackle at the end really could've cost us, especially as it was such an easy clearance, made difficult by a dreadful first touch. I know football doesn't work like that but there would have been a huge sense of injustice were they to equalise from the spot, what with the two stone wallers we should've had that second half.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
He will be a mainstay in our defence for years. Glad to have him back, and seemingly unruffled by the lack of gametime lately.
Would it be fair to say this is the make or break of him? A shortage of defenders, the captain out for minimum 8 weeks and a "Rolls Royce" beside him who will have to be treated gingerly should lead to a run of games. Perform admirably then he should secure a spot but on the flipside play badly SAF could lose faith in him.

Think he has what it takes but this is his time to shine.

Irwinwastheking

Without a doubt. A prolonged run in the team will see Evans get back to his best and will push him even further up in Fergies estimations.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Would it be fair to say this is the make or break of him? A shortage of defenders, the captain out for minimum 8 weeks and a "Rolls Royce" beside him who will have to be treated gingerly should lead to a run of games. Perform admirably then he should secure a spot but on the flipside play badly SAF could lose faith in him.

I disagree.SAF has plenty of faith in Evans and he'll continue to have whether Evans performs well or not.He's a very young CB still and even if for instance he is crap in the next few months, it'll just be a case of poor form

Irwinwastheking

I disagree.SAF has plenty of faith in Evans and he'll continue to have whether Evans performs well or not.He's a very young CB still and even if for instance he is crap in the next few months, it'll just be a case of poor form
Just to add, in my reply above I was asserting that 'without a doubt' Evans will be fine for the next few months. I think Fergie has him earmarked as the man at the heart of the defense for years to come.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not

That adequately describes last season from December onwards basically.

Widnes

for me he was one of the top few CB in the PL last season, Ofcourse he is Evans and got sent off against City so there are still a lot of people who just won't accept how good this guy actually is. Pure class

Rossa

for me he was one of the top few CB in the PL last season, Ofcourse he is Evans and got sent off against City so there are still a lot of people who just won't accept how good this guy actually is. Pure class
No doubt about that - I still think Rio was better last season, but Evans was really good!

What baffles me is that I can't single out what makes him a highly talented CB; he doesn't have the pace of Smalling or a young Rio, he doesn't possess the tackling of Vidic nor is he as good a header on the ball. What he is great at is intercepting the ball, and he is also a good distributor, but not world class in either. Is he just a good allrounder?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Eh? Was great last season, in difficult circumstances. He needed it after a poor 2010/2011 but certainly has nothing to prove this time round. He's a quality centre back and I doubt Fergie needs any more convincing. The Caf, on the other hand....

Rossa

Eh? Was great last season, in difficult circumstances. He needed it after a poor 2010/2011 but certainly has nothing to prove this time round. He's a quality centre back and I doubt Fergie needs any more convincing. The Caf, on the other hand....
Thing is, I think a lot of people think he is very good and all that, but many, sometimes me included, don't trust him. He is prone to be making mistakes that are costly - for instance crashing into Rio Ferdinand vs Everton, which was just ridiculous - he even crashed into Vidic, where Vidic just looked at him dumbfounded.

What we seem to forget, however, is that 24 is still a very young age for a CB, just as it is for a CM. He will only improve in time, and at the time he is very good.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle

I think he already passed that test when he had to be relied on heavily last season and was one of our best players throughout the season. Yes, even including the period that involved the City red card - that was a one off poor episode that every good CB has from time to time.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
No doubt about that - I still think Rio was better last season, but Evans was really good!

What baffles me is that I can't single out what makes him a highly talented CB; he doesn't have the pace of Smalling or a young Rio, he doesn't possess the tackling of Vidic nor is he as good a header on the ball. What he is great at is intercepting the ball, and he is also a good distributor, but not world class in either. Is he just a good allrounder?
I fail to see many CBs with Evans' calmness on the ball - Id say hes world class compared to other CBs in that department, especially his age taken into consideration. I can only really think of Pique and Thiago Silva who are better with the ball in their feet. Evans is better than Ferdinand at it these days - he certainly hoofs the ball far less than Rio.

Varun

Staff

As others have said, he already did all this last season.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Exactly what I thought. I am more than happy to see Rio and Evans at the centre of our defence and I am sure that SAF is too. Evans is an important player for us - long term.

Comsmit

I fail to see many CBs with Evans' calmness on the ball - Id say hes world class compared to other CBs in that department, especially his age taken into consideration. I can only really think of Pique and Thiago Silva who are better with the ball in their feet. Evans is better than Ferdinand at it these days - he certainly hoofs the ball far less than Rio.
Kompany, Ramos, Luiz, Vertonghen, Hummels, Pepe to name a few who are better on the ball or more composed than Evans. Please don't use the "world-class" label with Evans, nothing about him is in that mystical bracket.

And the Rio comparison is not accurate either. His composure on the ball is second to none.

204Red

not world class... but after last season and a decent start to this one, he is back to being a promising young defender, from that stretch he had in the wilderness a few seasons ago.

Comsmit

Wrong. He needs more than a decent half of last season to prove his worth. If he wants to be in the first eleven week in week out he needs to continue improving and maintain a level of consistency not seen from him yet.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Wrong. He needs more than a decent half of last season to prove his worth. If he wants to be in the first eleven week in week out he needs to continue improving and maintain a level of consistency not seen from him yet.
He has more than a decent half season behind him. He's had one poor season that gave us reason to doubt the extensive evidence previous to that that we had a high quality centre half on our hands. Every United player should continue to seek improvement, obviously. He is, however beyond the point of having to prove that he is a United player and capable of forging a first team career here.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's looked impressive in the two games he's been back I think. They're the only two games where our defensive live has looked decent rather than a shambles.

Of course, that has a lot to do with Vidic playing the other games despite looking about as match fit as Owen Hargreaves, but even this time last year, throwing Evans back into our back four wouldn't have improved it as drastically as it has this time around.

STILL a couple of notable times he's charged in to try and win a ball he was never going to win though, and the Shelvey one which was a bit senseless. If he'd just cut out doing that all the fecking time he'd make a real claim for being first choice with Rio and Vidic's age, and Smalling and Jones's lack of experience.

gbgary

evans used to be a tick late on those kinds of challenges. he would throw his arms up draw cards and/or penalties. he's right on time now and he and the refs aren't giving them a second thought. he just needs to stay healthy now!

Ekeke

evans used to be a tick late on those kinds of challenges. he would throw his arms up draw cards and/or penalties. he's right on time now and he and the refs aren't giving them a second thought. he just needs to stay healthy now!
Aside from the 2 good calls for penalties in the last 2 games you mean?

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Some people can't wait to have a go at Evans and no matter the praise will find something to knock him.
Honestly I think he's done good since he came back, although to be fair on another day 1 or possibly even 2 penalties might have been given against us the last couple of games (the case for both was him being late in a challenge), and if either of the 2 was given against us then you'd see a whole different scene all together on here.)

Although I'm hardly saying he was crap, he did make a couple of mistakes that could've cost us the match, but luckily didn't and that's why he seems to "get away with it" in some people's opinions.