Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commadus

Evans has always been great on the deck. His one weakness is sometimes he loses his attacker on crosses. Very composed on the ball.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Evans is without question great with the ball at his feet. Personally I think he lacks strength and aerial ability. Not sure he will ever gain these attributes tbh.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
He's only behind Evra, Nani, Rooney and Jones in number of appearances this season.

And behind them + de Gea, Carrick and Valencia in total number of minutes spent on the pitch.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
One can clearly see the maturity and confidence change in him since last season, when he looked like a timid, fragile soul at times.

He was having a bit of a go at (Jones?) I think, just after we scored the goal for giving a risky pass back. Was good to see. Evans struggling for form and confidence - (or confidence and form!) would not have had a god at anyone like that.

He's possibly better then he has ever been for us, I'd say - better than the Evans of 2-3 years ago which had everyone raving on here about him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
His concentration is excellent. For me the one thing he needs to iron out of his game is picking up pointless bookings for tackles that didn't need to be made.
When it is working it is. But hew is prone to the odd switch off. He even did it yesterday. Switched off and let his marker go but Rio rescued the situation. It's part of the reason he gets strange bookings.

I believe ala Rio as he gets older it will completely disappear. He will develop into the defender a Woodgate should have been IMO.

Werder Herzog

I was going to say i hate to say this but i don't hate saying this, Johnny Evans- has proven me wrong- in all honesty i have never ever rated him, just never thought he was strong enough and had too many lapses in concerntration to be a starting centre back for Utd, but his performances this season have put any doubts i had to bed. He is better than anything Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea have and i believe it is up to the others to dislodge him from the centre back berth now. Well done Mr Evans.

TheBest

SPNTBP
He did well on his debut and I think he did fairly well that season.Last season he wasn't at his best and at the start of the season I would have always picked smalling ahead of him but right now I have to admit he should start ahead of him.Anyways its always god to have more options who are equally good.

Varun

Staff
Norwich have scored the second highest amount of headers in the league this season and Holt is a brute. Another nail in the coffin of the theory that Evans is poor in the air and easily out-muscled.
Both him and Rio were excellent in the air yesterday. Handled everything thrown at them brilliantly.

His concentration is excellent. For me the one thing he needs to iron out of his game is picking up pointless bookings for tackles that didn't need to be made.
He does tend to have lapses from time to time but at his age, its pretty common. It'l get ironed out with age and experience. He did switch off yesterday too on one occasion where Rio cut out the ball with wonderful positioning when the other striker was free in the 6 yard box just waiting to tap in the pass.

Red_Aaron

i just like the fact he's such a good footballer, he's got excellent touch and technique, his range of passing is very good for a centre half and he's composure is improving every game as his confidence comes back

he still makes errors of course but the hammerings he gets for them are completely uncalled for. as far as CBs go he's still yung and learnin', for him to have had as many games at that age for a club like ours, and many of them against the highest quality of opposition too, speaks volumes.

he'll be top cb very soon, if he isn't already

Edmeiste

i know some people are ruing the fact that Vida is basically out for the season including myself. However, it seems to be a blessing in disguise as our youngsters have really gained some valuable experience. This could be the making of Jonny Evans.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So impressive that he has overcome his poor season and start to this season. He has filled the boots of Vidic and fended off Jones and Smalling.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
So impressive that he has overcome his poor season and start to this season. He has filled the boots of Vidic and fended off Jones and Smalling.
His start to this season was excellent, against Tottenham and Arsenal he was our best defender by a distance.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Gonna put it out there that he's now established as third choice centre back ahead of Smalling? Or is may be because he compliments Rio better, but on form I think he deserves it
He's third choice by an absolute mile, deservedly so as he's been consistently our best defender this season.

The city sending off clouded quite a few peoples perceptions of his season, very unfairly in my opinion, and seemed to forget the form he'd shown prior to that game. The fact is he was playing very well against City till the sending off and kept Aguero silent in the first half, but the mistake gave the haters an excuse to criticise him. Thankfully he didn't let his head go down and he's now getting the credit his form has deserved.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think you're wrong here Randall, he started the off very impressively, was awful against City, then sort of went downhill for two-three weeks but then again he has recovered pretty impressively and has now been consistently very good.

Our best defender this season IMO, all the more pleasing that he's an academy lad.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think you're wrong here Randall, he started the off very impressively, was awful against City, then sort of went downhill for two-three weeks but then again he has recovered pretty impressively and has now been consistently very good.

Our best defender this season IMO, all the more pleasing that he's an academy lad.
He wasn't awful against City.

As for going downhill for two weeks, his next two games against Everton and Otelul Galati we kept clean sheets with him at the heart of the defence. So what did he do wrong?

KM

He wasn't awful against City.

As for going downhill for two weeks, his next two games against Everton and Otelul Galati we kept clean sheets with him at the heart of the defence. So what did he do wrong?
He was ok overall but then he made a mess of the Balotelli situation and got himself sent off so I would say he was awful.

I still thought his overall performances against Everton and Galati weren't that good, that's why saying downhill because it did met the standards he set for himself in the start of the season.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He was ok overall but then he made a mess of the Balotelli situation and got himself sent off so I would say he was awful.

I still thought his overall performances against Everton and Galati weren't that good, that's why saying downhill because it did met the standards he set for himself in the start of the season.
Strange way to assess a performance, one mistake and you are automatically awful. Doesn't seem the most well rounded of analysis', completely ignoring other elements of the match.

If you remember the game he was excellent in the first half and consequently their attackers hardly had a kick. He put in some good tackles as well, I remember one especially where he slid in hard and won the ball from Aguero. Saying he was awful is untrue, he was playing well and then made a mistake.

Not sure what you were expecting against Everton and Galati, he's not going to bang in a hattrick or something is he. He defended well and we left with a clean sheet, not much more you can ask from your centre backs is there, so you seem to be judging him very harshly, or more accurately, making up that he played poorly.

Edit - His passing was also very good in both games, as it has been all season. Hardly gave the ball away in either game.

KM

Yeah ofcourse I would make up that he played poorly just before saying that he has been our best defender this season. I also just said that he didn't played as well as he played in the beginning of the season which somehow equates to saying that he was poor.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Evans has got the ability. His weakness is the occasional lapse in concentration.

He will improve and already has done.

I see him and Smalling as our future CB partnership.

Jones I see developing more as a Defensive midfielder.
I can see Jones becoming our O'shea, albeit a bit more talented one.

The White Pele

Has improved in the air and has cut out the one or two mistakes he would usually make during the course of a game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Another solid performance from him in the defence. If you'd said that Ferdinand and Evans would form a solid partnership this season then I wouldn't have believed you, but they have.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good performance again, reacted very well to clear after DDG made a good save in the second half.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Another solid performance from him in the defence. If you'd said that Ferdinand and Evans would form a solid partnership this season then I wouldn't have believed you, but they have.
:confused:

They were good together last year, Liverpool in the FA Cup springs to mind, in fact I think of all the defensive partnerships we had last year they had the lowest goals conceded per game I think.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very impressive today delighted that he looks again the Evans of 08-09.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
:confused:

They were good together last year, Liverpool in the FA Cup springs to mind, in fact I think of all the defensive partnerships we had last year they had the lowest goals conceded per game I think.
Last season Evans was coming in for a lot of criticism, while Ferdinand seemed to constantly be on the sidelines and only really started impressing towards the end of the season.

At the start of this season, Rio would've been regarded as 2nd in the pecking order for CB's, while Evans would've been 5th. You've got to admit that for most clubs, your 2nd choice and 5th choice wouldn't usually make up a strong defensive partnership together.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Last season Evans was coming in for a lot of criticism, while Ferdinand seemed to constantly be on the sidelines and only really started impressing towards the end of the season.

At the start of this season, Rio would've been regarded as 2nd in the pecking order for CB's, while Evans would've been 5th. You've got to admit that for most clubs, your 2nd choice and 5th choice wouldn't usually make up a strong defensive partnership together.
But we're not most clubs luckily, our CB options are fabulous and I've always stuck with Evans even through his sticky patch.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Very impressive today delighted that he looks again the Evans of 08-09.
He looks much better than the Evans of 08/09. The Evans of then was good, but had the luxury of being beside Vidic who was the best defender in the league easily at that time, and had VDS behind them, who was probably the best goalkeeper in the league at that time. Ferdinand, De Gea and co have been playing well recently, however the defence back then was a lot stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.