Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aint gota Kalou

He's gotten through his bad patch and seems to be as good as he was when he first came on the scene. Keep with the white boots too Johnny, suddenly makes you look 10x more elegant on the ball.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I still maintain that he's been the best of our defenders this season bar Vidic.

One high-profile mistake, which is as many as Smalling has done(plus Smalling looked shaky against Chelsea in the league, although I do feel he's been largely excellent as well), and Smalling did get away with his slip yesterday.

Evans is assured, plays the ball out of the back really well, and looks back to his pest in the physical aspects of the game. I love it.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If he was going to play Kuyt onside, he needed to be moving towards him. If he saw him to have a reason to be runing back, he had to have seen that Evra wasn't getting there, but he moved towards Kuyt much too late. Not that Evra is blameless, but to me I'd think Evans should have just played Kuyt offside.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Terrific today, so much so I mistook him for Phil Jones (in terms of not giving any fecks).

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
He's playing great

This is the thing about young players at Man United, they have to be able to come through the troughs - which they will all find themselves in. That's what I reckon's gone on with Morrison more than anything, Fergie's had a look at him and his attitude and thought, nope.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Up against Jones and Crouch too. Makes a mockery of the theory he can't handle tall/strong strikers.
It was always a bollocks theory anyway, it was only based on that one bad game against Zamora, and he was hardly the first to struggle against him. Just lost a bit of confidence from all the attention for a while.

But i think he has been looking very impressive for at least the last few games now.

OneUnited24

It was always a bollocks theory anyway, it was only based on that one bad game against Zamora, and he was hardly the first to struggle against him. Just lost a bit of confidence from all the attention for a while.

But i think he has been looking very impressive for at least the last few games now.
All it takes is one bad game for a defender to create a profile for them, take Vidic the best defender in world football (for me anyway) but he had one bad mistake vs Torres and all of a sudden he cant handle pacey players. Forget the 4-5 games after that where he wasnt exposed it was all "Oh Torres always causes him problems" :rolleyes:

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not

It wasn't just one game - it was a run of bad games at the start of last season leading up to being dominated by Carlton Cole when West Ham beat us 4-0 in the Carling Cup.

The label is unfair and seems to have stuck, but it wasn't just from one game.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Looked very good bringing the ball out of defense. Not an area of his game i thought he was particularly strong in until recently.
Erm, that's always been something Evans has been great at. His touch and distribution is top drawer.

Cina

He's clearly a good defender, and will only get better with age. Such slating he gets on here at times, madness.

I'm sure as soon as he makes a slip up at some point that it will start again.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Erm, that's always been something Evans has been great at. His touch and distribution is top drawer.
Err, no. I don't recall Evans ever making those surging confident runs out of defence (almost Phil Jones style). He's always been more likely to be the defender that stays back and plays it safe. Its great to see him now playing with almost a swagger. Not afraid to bring the ball deep into the opponents half or to switch play when required. Sign of a player full of confidence.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He dithers sometimes, takes that second or two too long to decide what to do with it that means his options are closed down and he's forced into a 50/50 ball. No evidence of that of late. Delighted to see him benifitting from an extended run.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
It wasn't just one game - it was a run of bad games at the start of last season leading up to being dominated by Carlton Cole when West Ham beat us 4-0 in the Carling Cup.

The label is unfair and seems to have stuck, but it wasn't just from one game.
Yes he did have a run of dodgy games, but in my view his confidence had already gone by then Sharky. For me it was the game against Zamora that started all the scrutiny and criticism, before that he had been excellent in the earlier games against Chelsea and Drogba and the Newcastle game.What followed after that was weeks of criticism that slowly eroded his confidence and increased scrutiny upon his every move.

He played in all the first 6 league games,with Fulham being the third of those, and Bolton being the last. After that he then featured only twice in the next 15 matches in all comps, before the West Ham CC game. Which after that drubbing and a poor showing against Cole, the 'can't handle target men' myth that had started after the Fulham game began to be regurgitated once again.

So you are right about the bad run of games, but i still feel it was the Fulham game which started that label, and everything that occured afterwards was highlighted solely to support that claim. Bit like what happened to Vidic with Torres, and what is happening now with De Gea and crosses.

Cina

well Jones and Crouch are not excatly the best strikers in the world.

anyhow, he didn't have that usual spaz pass moment yesterday, right?
They're very infrequent, far from being a usual thing.

I'd expect them from any young defender.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
His confidence in carrying the ball out of the defence is a real asset. Makes it so much easier to play through their midfield(man advantage with him stepping up into our midfield) and find our creative players. His distribution is, as I've tried to highlight earlier this season, usually very good.

Not tested defensively yesterday.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our best central defender this season.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It's funny to read all the praise Jonny's getting when 12 months ago a lot of people were frothing at the mouth to have him sold. I always thought his bad form between this season and the season we broke the record for most games without conceding was a blip and it's good to see him come through and prove it. He's got his head screwed on and I wouldn't be surprised if he's with us for a long time.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Err, no. I don't recall Evans ever making those surging confident runs out of defence (almost Phil Jones style). He's always been more likely to be the defender that stays back and plays it safe. Its great to see him now playing with almost a swagger. Not afraid to bring the ball deep into the opponents half or to switch play when required. Sign of a player full of confidence.
There was that run against Liverpool last year when he was looking low on confidence so he's always had that in his locker, but it's great to see him confident enough to do it regularly.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's looking good at the moment and seems to have found a bit of form. He worries me less than Rio does now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.