View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sylar

Evans was floundering from the moment he game on, like Bambi on ice. He should not be allowing Jesus to block him.
Righ.... but are we saying it was not a foul at all because its Evans who shouldnt be here?
If that happened on Martinez, im certain most would be shouting foul.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Righ.... but are we saying it was not a foul at all because its Evans who shouldnt be here?
If that happened on Martinez, im certain most would be shouting foul.
Martinez would have shrugged him off and went and got the block in.
Evans was fouled but he didn't have to stop and start waving his arms in the air

Bwuk

I'd of rather we chucked Casemiro back to CB and brought a midfielder on than Evans. Or even bring Regulion on and move Dalot infield.

He hasn't been a regular for Leicester for about 3 seasons. He wasn't exactly great in pre-season either.

Sylar

Martinez would have shrugged him off and went and got the block in.
Evans was fouled but he didn't have to stop and start waving his arms in the air
Right, so thats what im getting at. Forget that it was Evans, who most are shitting on in this thread as not being good enough.
Thatsa whole different topic.

For that particular incident, im certain it was a foul and it seemed to be reviewed within seconds as nothing. Id love to know hear the VAR for that and how that was determined it was seen as no obstruction at all.

Cassidy

Right, so thats what im getting at. Forget that it was Evans, who most are shitting on in this thread as not being good enough.
Thatsa whole different topic.

For that particular incident, im certain it was a foul and it seemed to be reviewed within seconds as nothing. Id love to know hear the VAR for that and how that was determined it was seen as no obstruction at all.
It was soft and it happens a lot in the box. Gabriel was clever because he falls over to cover what he was doing, it was a bit of dark arts that by the way Martinez himself has employed on opposition more than once.
It is rare that a goal is disallowed for something like that

Sylar

It was soft and it happens a lot in the box. Gabriel was clever because he falls over to cover what he was doing, it was a bit of dark arts that by the way Martinez himself has employed on opposition more than once.
It is rare that a goal is disallowed for something like that
Fair enough, we had bigger issues anyway like why were three players of theirs free at the back post. Why was Rice allowed to bring the ball down and take a shot. Why does that happen so often.

It looks like we zonal mark but dont actually have dominant people to go and attack the ball in certain spaces.

We lined up similar in the FACup for the winning goal. Thats defo a coaching issue in terms of set up; given the players we have.

Cassidy

Fair enough, we had bigger issues anyway like why were three players of theirs free at the back post. Why was Rice allowed to bring the ball down and take a shot. Why does that happen so often.

It looks like we zonal mark but dont actually have dominant people to go and attack the ball in certain spaces.

We lined up similar in the FACup for the winning goal. Thats defo a coaching issue in terms of set up; given the players we have.
The main issue was, both Evans and Maguire were busy appealing for a foul rather than closing Rice down, Evans did later react and got a deflection on the ball, he would have blocked the shot if he did not waste time.
As for Maguire I'll not even comment.

Arsenal were clever because they put 3/4 players back post but in a block so you could not man mark then they made runs when the ball was kicked.
We tended to deal with it well throughout the game with Lindelof and Martinez picking up the runs, Rice was clever this time he didn't run at all

This time both Maguire and Evans and also Dalot didn't do their jobs.

I am convinced we do not concede this goal without the defensive substitutions.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's not his fault this club and a good chunk of its fanbase are in full nostalgia mode and live off the good old days. At least, he doesn't cost a fortune in wages, he doesn't demand playing time and he won't be giving an interview to Piers Morgan any time soon. That's progress, i guess. Who's the best candidate for "the throwback to the Fergie days" player next season? Hernandez at 36 as a back-up striker, maybe? Back from the US for a last dance? Or, perhaps United writing a wrong by bringing back our boy Danny Welbeck at 34? Smalling coming back to close his career at OT after capturing the hearts of the Italians?

Sylar

The main issue was, both Evans and Maguire were busy appealing for a foul rather than closing Rice down, Evans did later react and got a deflection on the ball, he would have blocked the shot if he did not waste time.
As for Maguire I'll not even comment.

Arsenal were clever because they put 3/4 players back post but in a block so you could not man mark then they made runs when the ball was kicked.
We tended to deal with it well throughout the game with Lindelof and Martinez picking up the runs, Rice was clever this time he didn't run at all

This time both Maguire and Evans and also Dalot didn't do their jobs.

I am convinced we do not concede this goal without the defensive substitutions.
Same. Third goal is nothing cos losing 2-1 and 3-1 doesnt matter at this stage, so im not too fussed about that.
The second is a killer. Dalot left the post right? Yeah, that didnt help Onana at all by that.

I think we as a team also lost concentration after Garnachos goal was chalked off. We were pushing Arsenal back, and from that moment, it felt like we gave up momentum and stopped getting the ball to Hoilund to hold it up.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
In hindsight, him coming on yesterday in a critical big away match would have been like McShane coming on in previous years. We're just fecked in that position it seems.

From being a relative non-issue for large parts of last season, CB seems in needs of serious attention again.

Cassidy

Same. Third goal is nothing cos losing 2-1 and 3-1 doesnt matter at this stage, so im not too fussed about that.
The second is a killer. Dalot left the post right? Yeah, that didnt help Onana at all by that.

I think we as a team also lost concentration after Garnachos goal was chalked off. We were pushing Arsenal back, and from that moment, it felt like we gave up momentum and stopped getting the ball to Hoilund to hold it up.
Pretty much

Cassidy

Evans and Maguire the easy target as expected. How many wins now against top 12 opposition away from home?
Conflation
many other players are being criticised including Antony and Bruno, the manager is also being criticised.
Evans and Maguire were poor on the Rice goal, 2 things can be true at once

Kostov

Conflation
many other players are being criticised including Antony and Bruno, the manager is also being criticised.
Evans was fouled and Maguire did feck all wrong. I blame Dalot and Onana way more to be honest.

Skills

Snitch
He's pretty much the same player I always remembered here - weak and slow.

Doracle

Conflation
Maguire was fine on the Rice goal. That’s not on him at all and no one would be suggesting it was were it any other defender in his position. He’d have even blocked the shot but for Evans deflecting it past him.

Cassidy

Evans was fouled and Maguire did feck all wrong. I blame Dalot and Onana way more to be honest.
Maguire didn't close Rice down he was busy appealing for a foul, Evans also, I already said Dalot was at fault too. Not really sure Onana can be blamed there I think that is harsh.

Cassidy

Maguire was fine on the Rice goal. That’s not on him at all and no one would be suggesting it was were it any other defender in his position. He’d have even blocked the shot but for Evans deflecting it past him.
He did not go and close down Rice or even attempt to make a block, watch both Lindelof and Martinez first half, big difference
Its not fine for a CB to be calling for a foul and not playing to the whistle when the attacker has the ball in our box with tons of space

Aside from that I actually thought Maguire was fine

Kostov

Maguire didn't close Rice down he was busy appealing for a foul, Evans also, I already said Dalot was at fault too. Not really sure Onana can be blamed there I think that is harsh.
Maguire didn't close the part of goal which you expect to be covered either by the GK or the man on the line. The RB who should be either on the goal line or covering his post, was hiding behind him and the GK concedes a goal on the near post, how is it okey to blame it on Maguire bur harsh for the 55m GK we paid to improve us?

Cassidy

Maguire didn't close the part of goal which you expect to be covered either by the GK or the man on the line. The RB who should be either on the goal line or covering his post, was hiding behind him and the GK concedes a goal on the near post, how is it okey to blame it on Maguire bur harsh for the 55m GK we paid to improve us?
No I am saying Maguire and Evans did not go to close down Rice. Again watch Martinez and Lindelof throw themselves in front of shots first half
I don't blame a keeper when the shot took a deflection after being shot with that much power close to him. The shot was not going near post at first so he had to adjust
I've already said Dalot is at fault too

It amazes me that Rice can be free in the box from a corner with that much space to chest control bring the ball down and shoot, but we think the CBs are not at fault

Born2Lose

Knew we'd concede the minute I saw him coming off the bench.

A signing this pathetic and desperate doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's a culmination of signing and hanging on to dross like Bailly, and the club not taking the U21's seriously.

We sold Mengi and Tuanzebe in the Summer, and i'd have preferred to take a chance on either of those two over signing Evans. I'd even have preferred us to have kept Phil Jones as desperate as that seems.

He was and still is one of the weakest and most puny CB's I've ever seen, even Arsenal's players were bullying him.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I know he wasn't exactly great when he came on but it's very funny to see how the narrative changes (mainly from oppo fans)

At Utd under Fergie - Not good enough for Utd, should get rid.
Becomes a first team player for 5 years at Leicester - Solid defender. Utd could do with him and shouldn't have let him go. He's better than some of their CBs.
Comes back to Utd as 6th choice CB - Not good enough, why is he at Utd.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Knew we'd concede the minute I saw him coming off the bench.

A signing this pathetic and desperate doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's a culmination of signing and hanging on to dross like Bailly, and the club not taking the U21's seriously.

We sold Mengi and Tuanzebe in the Summer, and i'd have preferred to take a chance on either of those two over signing Evans. I'd even have preferred us to have kept Phil Jones as desperate as that seems.

He was and still is one of the weakest and most puny CB's I've ever seen, even Arsenal's players were bullying him.
That would be silly, seeing as Jones is physically incapable of playing top-level football at this point due to the extent of his injuries

Amir

Becomes a first team player for 5 years at Leicester - Solid defender. Utd could do with him and shouldn't have let him go. He's better than some of their CBs.
I don't think people had huge issues with him during Fergie's years. His form fell off a cliff for us afterwards, though.

As for people wanting him back - yeah, some would have been happy to see him return, but not at this age and stage of career.

Not that I have any problems with bringing him in as a 6th choice CB. People are nitpicking but when you have to go so low in the pecking order, you'll have trouble, period.

Jericho

I know he wasn't exactly great when he came on but it's very funny to see how the narrative changes (mainly from oppo fans)

Yeah, honestly, it's exhausting to try and reason with that mentality. You just know if we hadn't signed him and we'd hit this injury crisis at the back you'd have people saying "Evans was available on a free, and yet here we are playing Casemiro at CB!".

He's backup to our backups, arguably we didn't even need anymore CBs when we signed him. And who else could we have signed instead that would be much better? It's not like we replaced Stam with Blanc here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There is no way that this man is a better option than Eric Bailly. Not sure what happened with Bailly tbh. He started last preseason and was quite impressive, and then didn’t get to play anymore games and exiled since then. He gets to Rice quicker than Evans IMO.

Amir

There is no way that this man is a better option than Eric Bailly. Not sure what happened with Bailly tbh. He started last preseason and was quite impressive, and then didn’t get to play anymore games and exiled since then. He gets to Rice quicker than Evans IMO.
Players who don't play tend to look better than those who do...

Would he have been a better option? Well, first of all, we know he's injury prone. What's the point of having a backup player when there's a decent chance he'll be injured when you need him?

Also, would he have been interested in saying on as a sixth choice?

Marwood

He was on loan not exiled. As usual barely played.

ETH wants good personalities around the place and it seems Bailly isn't one given how little he gets picked by us or his loan club.

Plus the obvious injury problems.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was on loan not exiled. As usual barely played.

ETH wants good personalities around the place and it seems Bailly isn't one given how little he gets picked by us or his loan club.

Plus the obvious injury problems.
Okay loaned, which I imagine was due to him not being considered, so same thing really.

I do wonder if there was any incident though. I’m aware of his issues, although he hasn’t been all bad. My thinking is if Ten Hag came in last summer with a clean slate mindset, I can’t imagine how Bailly’s early preseason performances warranted him being dismissed in the way he was after two games. I do recall he gave the ball away in one game which led to a goal, however, he was largely impressive. Bringing the ball forward from the back, creating chances, and defending well 1v1.

Unless there was a personal issue or he had demanded to leave, which if I recall from reports last summer was not his intention, I struggle to see why he couldn’t stay as an option. He’s a player who we know at least has the quality and can play against even top level opposition and has the athleticism and ball ability to do so on his day. I can’t see why we’d rather give him away for free rather than have him as a back up personally.

Marwood

Okay loaned, which I imagine was due to him not being considered, so same thing really.

I do wonder if there was any incident though. I’m aware of his issues, although he hasn’t been all bad. My thinking is if Ten Hag came in last summer with a clean slate mindset, I can’t imagine how Bailly’s early preseason performances warranted him being dismissed in the way he was after two games. I do recall he gave the ball away in one game which led to a goal, however, he was largely impressive. Bringing the ball forward from the back, creating chances, and defending well 1v1.

Unless there was a personal issue or he had demanded to leave, which if I recall from reports last summer was not his intention, I struggle to see why he couldn’t stay as an option. He’s a player who we know at least has the quality and can play against even top level opposition and has the athleticism and ball ability to do so on his day. I can’t see why we’d rather give him away for free rather than have him as a back up personally.
Because he's never fit. I don't think there's much mystery here. Rarely available and when he is he still plays like a rash 18 year old. Seems unable or unwilling to mature his game.

You may as well just go for a steady type as your 6th choice CB.

Irwin99

It was a huge mess of a goal all round, and some of the goals we've conceded this season have been criminal; I'm surprised at how little people have complained about the defence considering this is Redcafe :lol: . The fact that Rice can take the ball down in our box, fire a pretty tame shot and get a goal was really irritating. Both Maguire and Dalot both move to the centre instead of going towards the man and it leaves a big gap on the right side of the goal (you're probably right that Dalot was more at fault). Maybe Onana could do better but i'm more angry at the defence for not closing down a player that had the time to take a touch and shoot.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
MOTM today. I'd prefer him to partner varane if Martinez is still injured.