Jonny Evans available for just 3 million....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Should go to Arsenal. They need an entirely new defence, and he'd be a great third choice CB for them.

Kostov

He looked good as a 22 year old playing alongside two of the best defenders of the world then. After they left, he looked average to poor for two seasons and then was sold to wba where he put in decent performances over there where they play with CBs at full back and a midfield three where almost all are defensive minded. Let’s all conveniently forgot him being bettered by paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett in his last season
You mean he looked good when the team had a competent coach and we a were relevant top team in the league? Yeah he was the very good alongside Vidic and Ferdinand, but why is that used like some kind of beating stick? Does it take away the fact that he played good against some of the best attackers in the world? I don't think so. Pique also played alongside Vidic and Ferdinand and he looked shaky every time. He put decent performances at WBA because he is a good player, that's why. Top teams have been linked with him because he is a good player not because of this or that. Him being bettered by McNair and Blacket who the feck are those two, and what have they done with their careers?
Because the moron LVG kept them and realized they are not good enough later than most people, it means something? Please use a better argument. We've seen plenty of Evans being a very good player to judge him by his performances for a manager who though Blacket is a better player.
He played next to Rio or Vidic, they were worldclass. Bailly would look like Baresi next to one of those two leading the back four.
Maybe, maybe not. Happens to remember a certain Gerard Pique who played alongside them also, never looked like Baresi that guy.

Deleted member 101472

How many on this thread also didn’t want Matic
What has this got to do with anything concerning Evans? We watched Evans every week and came to the conclusion that he’s not of the required quality. I’d say 90% + felt that way.

T_Model101

I can't imagine we'll be after him, bit someone will definitely pick him up at that price
Maybe Spurs, Arse, Everton

prath92

You mean he looked good when the team had a competent coach and we a were relevant top team in the league? Yeah he was the very good alongside Vidic and Ferdinand, but why is that used like some kind of beating stick? Does it take away the fact that he played good against some of the best attackers in the world? I don't think so. Pique also played alongside Vidic and Ferdinand and he looked shaky every time. He put decent performances at WBA because he is a good player, that's why. Top teams have been linked with him because he is a good player not because of this or that. Him being bettered by McNair and Blacket who the feck are those two, and what have they done with their careers?
Because the moron LVG kept them and realized they are not good enough later than most people, it means something? Please use a better argument. We've seen plenty of Evans being a very good player to judge him by his performances for a manager who though Blacket is a better player.

Maybe, maybe not. Happens to remember a certain Gerard Pique who played alongside them also, never looked like Baresi that guy.
Under LvG almost all our defenders looked competent. Smalling was one of the best CBs. Blind as well looked very assured etc. yet Evans looking like a shit defender is lvg’s fault? I’m not having that. That Liverpool game where he singlehandedly gave sterling 3-4 chances is the pinnacle

At wba he put in decent performances. Key aspect being decent. Tom Cleverley had decent performances under SAF does that mean we have to buy him back too? Alexander Buttner and Anderson had some decent performances. What about them? Please get real. That you have to use his performances from 6-7 years ago to big him up shows his level. He was decent for a 23 year old then. The problem is he hasn’t improved one bit since then

Evans is at best, decent. Everyone of our CBs including Blind and Tuanzebe are better options currently. Him costing 3m means nothing. I’m sure Defoe would probably cost about the same doesn’t really mean we go for him.

fellaini's barber

This place's obsession with former players is disturbing. Even absolutely shit players like Evans are still yearned for. How about Shawcross while we're at it. Why does no one want him back I used to think he was decent

Kostov

Under LvG almost all our defenders looked competent. Smalling was one of the best CBs. Blind as well looked very assured etc. yet Evans looking like a shit defender is lvg’s fault? I’m not having that. That Liverpool game where he singlehandedly gave sterling 3-4 chances is the pinnacle

At wba he put in decent performances. Key aspect being decent. Tom Cleverley had decent performances under SAF does that mean we have to buy him back too? Alexander Buttner and Anderson had some decent performances. What about them? Please get real. That you have to use his performances from 6-7 years ago to big him up shows his level. He was decent for a 23 year old then. The problem is he hasn’t improved one bit since then

Evans is at best, decent. Everyone of our CBs including Blind and Tuanzebe are better options currently. Him costing 3m means nothing. I’m sure Defoe would probably cost about the same doesn’t really mean we go for him.
Under LVG, Evans played a total of 14 league games, only one ended in defeat and that was the 5;3 game against Leicester where he went off injured while we were 1;2 up. That injury kept him out from September till December, and it was the only game we lost alongside that MK Dons game when he was in the team with players who barely met each other prior. Yeah we had plenty of defenders and players in general that looked bad under LVG.

He played a total of 1495 minutes, not even 17 games for a coach that played Smalling the whole season who looked our best CB, then planned on starting the next season ditching him in the expense of Phil Jones. You mentioning Cleverley, Anderson and Buttner to prove a point shows how little you've watched them in the past 3 years. And even then, Cleverley/Ando/Buttner don't even come close to the career Evans had here, although injuries derailed his career in the last few years with us.

That last paragraph contains so much nonsense it's ridiculous. You mean Tuanzebe who can't get into the first team at Aston Villa ahead of an aging Terry and James fecking Chester? Blind is good player, but obviously not a type of CB Jose would play. Him costing 3m means a good bargain for a team needing reliable CB cover. I anticipated that option if he is over his injury issues, the same injury issues that make me want Jones to be replaced since he is injured all the time.

Denis79

Should we be seriously considering signing him this summer?Hes available for just 3 million quid....knows United inside out...he seems to have overcome his injury troubles,he's been a good consistent performer for West brom.Plus he's a very good distributor of the ball who knows how to bring the ball out from the back and at 30,he definitely has at least another 3-4 seasons left in him.So,should we bring him back or should we just look for an upgrade??
Nah, If it was January and we had alot of injuries in that position I would be all for it but not as a summer signing. Step backwards imo.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
That is nothing but baseless, lazy conjecture. You don’t sign someone for £30m+ without doing your homework, considering the other players we could have signed. Just because he hasn’t shown his qualities yet does not mean he has none - he’s only had one decent run in the team this season.
Well I know a dud when I see one and Lindelof falls right into that category. Get shut.

gulli_G

Well I know a dud when I see one and Lindelof falls right into that category. Get shut.
He's a decent backup for CB and DM at the moment, maybe in the future he can make the first team. Too early to call him a dud.

Kag

No, we shouldn't.

He's better than Lindelof but that's about it. If we're going to bring in a central defender then they need to be as good as (or better) than Bailly, Jones and Smalling. Evans isn't, neither was Lindelof when purchased and neither are majority of names linked to us in the press.

prath92

Under LVG, Evans played a total of 14 league games, only one ended in defeat and that was the 5;3 game against Leicester where he went off injured while we were 1;2 up. That injury kept him out from September till December, and it was the only game we lost alongside that MK Dons game when he was in the team with players who barely met each other prior. Yeah we had plenty of defenders and players in general that looked bad under LVG.

He played a total of 1495 minutes, not even 17 games for a coach that played Smalling the whole season who looked our best CB, then planned on starting the next season ditching him in the expense of Phil Jones. You mentioning Cleverley, Anderson and Buttner to prove a point shows how little you've watched them in the past 3 years. And even then, Cleverley/Ando/Buttner don't even come close to the career Evans had here, although injuries derailed his career in the last few years with us.

That last paragraph contains so much nonsense it's ridiculous. You mean Tuanzebe who can't get into the first team at Aston Villa ahead of an aging Terry and James fecking Chester? Blind is good player, but obviously not a type of CB Jose would play. Him costing 3m means a good bargain for a team needing reliable CB cover. I anticipated that option if he is over his injury issues, the same injury issues that make me want Jones to be replaced since he is injured all the time.
Some of his games were lucky not to have ended in defeat. Like the Liverpool game where we won 3-0 because of DDG. He also had a ban for spitting on someone for 6 matches. Whenever he played he looked clueless that season and that’s putting it mildly.

Yes they are better options. Tuanzebe is currently injured and played well whenever he played at Villa. And at 18, I’d rather play him than Evans who even West Brom fans are complaining about him

He's a decent passer of the ball and has quality. But he's what all our players should be as absolute minimum.
He's not a leader at all. This shows you how far we have fallen.
I can't believe man city and arsenal were sniffing round him.
Done nothing for us this season. Hegazi seems to be getting a lot if stick for not being where Evans should be in a lot of matches. Quite a few result changing goals have come from his area of responsibility. Seems Mr ex Man Utd might not be a positive inflence at this club so the sooner he goes the better. He is nowhere near irreplaceable.
A good defender but someone who has been well below his previous standards.

He epitomises a modern day footballer at the moment. An horrendous attitude but will bugger off at the end of the season and walk in to another comfortable paid job elsewhere.
Just three comments as I’m on phone but you can see more such comments on their forum. Showing exactly what he is. A defender that’s not even good for West Brom levels and has done nothing all season

Swift Football

A Big No. If we really want to save money on backup defender, I will rather have De Vrij on a free.

Green_Red

Jonny, is that you mate?

Last edited:

fallengt

Should sign Welback as well while we're at it.

Jesus, one thing LvG did it right was selling our deadwood

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some of his games were lucky not to have ended in defeat. Like the Liverpool game where we won 3-0 because of DDG. He also had a ban for spitting on someone for 6 matches. Whenever he played he looked clueless that season and that’s putting it mildly.

Yes they are better options. Tuanzebe is currently injured and played well whenever he played at Villa. And at 18, I’d rather play him than Evans who even West Brom fans are complaining about him

Just three comments as I’m on phone but you can see more such comments on their forum. Showing exactly what he is. A defender that’s not even good for West Brom levels and has done nothing all season
With respect you could come on this very forum and find quotes that would have you think Smalling should’ve been taken out into a field for grazing

Not saying to defend Evans but more that we shouldn’t use forum quotes to try and prove a point

Kostov

Tuanzebe is 20 and whenever he played it was at RB or midfield, so no not s better option provided he has zero experience almost. I rate Axel and he could provide an option but a different kind.

Yes that season wasn’t the best in his career, under a new manager in a new system, in a team that was struggling. My point though is, he had plenty of games where he looked great and when Fergie retired was considered as the best CB from our young bunch. I’d rather judge him over that period rather than a moron that thought McNair and Blacket are good enough talents/players for us.

You want me to read through a forum and decide what he is? How about the biggest clubs in the league trying to sign him up? Are they a bunch of amateurs who know lesser then few internet experts like you and me?

SpyLuke10

West Brom would have to pay us 100 million for me to want Evans back. Made Jones and Smalling look like Baresi and Maldini.

Green_Red

That’s the best argument you provided through the whole debate.
Its not a debate... Jonny Evans is not worth signing. You seem to think he is based on 'form' playing for a team that's about to be relegated and having had a couple of good games when Rio and Vidic still played for us, which is nearly half a decade ago.

haram

Arsenal should sell Mustafi and Chambers and sign Evans and two other CB’s.

Green_Red

@Kostov do you think we should try and Evans and Rondon as a pair. Rondon scored a goal yesterday and had a bit of form 6 years ago. They could be a dynamic duo we need to really make a challenge for the title next season.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Arsenal should sign him. He is better than their CBs and available at bargain price.

kthanksbye

We need to offload 3 CBs and buy one, Evans is not one of those.
Our priority should be a new set of fullbacks.

Kostov

Its not a debate... Jonny Evans is not worth signing. You seem to think he is based on 'form' playing for a team that's about to be relegated and having had a couple of good games when Rio and Vidic still played for us, which is nearly half a decade ago.
Hey it’s a fecking forum and people express their opinion. I replied on your argument that he is from a relegated team, which was ridiculous.
@Kostov do you think we should try and Evans and Rondon as a pair. Rondon scored a goal yesterday and had a bit of form 6 years ago. They could be a dynamic duo we need to really make a challenge for the title next season.
Now if you don’t have anything sensible to say, can you please feck off? You are tiresome.

davidmichael

If we were to sell Lindelof, Rojo and Blind then I’d say bring in Evans as fifth choice behind Bailly, Jones, Smalling and Tuanzebe as he knows the club inside out and is an experienced defender that’s played at the very highest level.

The fact that City, Arsenal and Spurs were all after him in January suggests Evans is nowhere near as bad as he’s made out by some on here but I don’t believe he’s good enough to get in as a first choice centre back for us or anyone in the top 5, as a back up option though he’s a good choice although as I said I wouldn’t sign him unless we ship out 2 centre backs and Blind.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Unless anyone would advocate buying the same Jonny Evans for £30m+, there’s absolutely no point. If he isn’t good enough to warrant £30m+, we would just be buying him because he’s a footballer priced at £3m who is worth more than that. Sort of thing your Mum would do basically.

The reality is we can afford a defender for a lot more than £3m. Just because Jonny Evans may really be a £15m defender, no justification for a club like ours.

Dundrummer

It's almost romantic. Why do we have such weakness for SAF era players?
Some of us have a weakness for players who played regularly, and regularly very well, when we used to win the league. When we haven't even competed for the title in five years despite spending half a billion it's hardly a sodding mystery that there's some nostalgia. The only argument that justifies selling Jonny was his injuries, but we kept Phil Jones so figure that one out.

Evans will sign for City this summer, a team indisputably better than us, and people will still insist he wasn't good enough to play for Louis Van Gaal's also-rans..

Green_Red

Roy keane was bought from a relegated team btw

(Not saying we should buy Evans just pointing out the fact)
Yea I know but in fairness how many times has a player from the relegated team made the premier league team of the season? If you can name another one I'll change my opinion.

In the first 10 minutes here Keane is dubbed 'the best young player in the country'. Forest were lucky, they took a punt on him and he proved he had what it takes.

Doesn't happen often.

Dundrummer

Yea I know but in fairness how many times has a player from the relegated team made the premier league team of the season? If you can name another one I'll change my opinion.
Scott Parker won player of the season the year his club finished bottom of the league and then signed for Spurs and was in the PFA team of the year for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.