Jonny Evans set to sign a one year contract

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Only way this works is if Maguire finally fecks off. Otherwise, what are we doing here?

sepulturite

Absolutely pathetic. To think a lot of people were having a go at me by saying "It's only a 2 game deal for pre-season!"
Oh give over, it's not a big deal having him for a year is it? Fantastic option as a back up if anyone gets injured.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He will likely be below Martinez, Varane, Lindelof and Shaw at CB, so nothing wrong with a one year deal for a player that is United through and through.

glasgow 21

total waste of money. The first negative against ETH in my book. If Maguire is sent packing that will be a second.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We've definitely exceed our budget already so need to swallow this decision and move on. We are strong in CB position compared to other areas.

joedirt87

It's time to revive the Evans thread, good lord did we trash him in there.

Gandalf

Not crazy about it but it seems clear we were not going to be signing anyone else for the position in this window and we did need another body if Maguire is going to be sold. Still would put Shaw as 4th choice with Evans in the "break glass in case of emergency" category. Malacia, Fernandez or Dalot can cover LB if Luke moves inside.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Decent option tbh.

Means we can shift Maguire in Jan when it becomes clear to him he's damaging both his club and international career by staying here without having to reinvest immediately at high cost.

Dread Devil

I like this idea…he has always been a red…will be happy to be a back up…won’t be on high wages and means we can sell Maguire / Bailly on transfer day if needs be and make a calculated purchase in next window…

The Irish Connection

Good stuff. As a 5th choice on a free transfer, plus his knowledge of the club and dressing room leadership, and hopefully a few quid for Maguire, it’s all good.

marktan

Where's Giggsy these days? Could be the answer to our ball playing midfielder need.

nainaisson

I'll eat my hat if Ten Hag approves the signing of a 35-year-old who was only fit enough to play 13 games last season.

Redstain

I'll eat my hat if Ten Hag approves the signing of a 35-year-old who was only fit enough to play 13 games last season.
Add in Casemiro, Eriksen and now Evans ETH is no stranger to the more aged players.

Kag

Some people aren’t going to like this due to the biases they hold, but anybody who thinks Evans is a genuine upgrade on Maguire is seriously off their rocker and and in for a rude awakening if we actually need to play Evans in any sort of serious game.

If he wants to hang around the club with his wife, get his coaching badges and be closer to home then he’ll do as a fifth or sixth choice defender. But he is nothing more than that; let’s be clear.

The idea that Ten Hag moves on Maguire and seriously replaces him with Evans is preposterous. It won’t happen, so stop getting excited.

Castia

I have no problems with this

Probably will make few appearances but it’s good to have extra cover. Maguire could well and truly be done now.

izec

Behind Martinez and Varane, there is a serious lack of quality. Evans, Lindelöf and Maguire are not starters and not good enough (even as backups), lets pray to god we dont have to rely on them for longer periods.

Disappointed we arent looking at a third CB, that could compete for a starting spot. We know Varane will be injured at some point.

Gandalf

For what it is worth, Fabrizio says this is not decided as of yet and decision won't happen for a while. Makes sense as we probably only see it as being worthwhile if we do sell Maguire, 4 CBs having been enough last season, and Evans is probably hoping to attract offers from other clubs where he can play a more substantial role. We can always do the deed later on if it is mutually beneficial.

IrishMcD

He’s absolutely crocked. Struggled to stay fit last year. This has to be just to tick the “homegrown” box. Because when Varane picks up an injury, I’d put my house on this guy being out injured at the same time and of absolutely no use to us.
Seems a very Glazernomics type move

quadrant

If it happens it's not going to define our season one way or another. But I still don't like the idea of getting an injury prone backup. The number one thing you need from a backup is availability.

wolvored

The only response is why?
Unless hes going to become a coach as well it makes no sense

evil_geko

Absolutely pathetic. To think a lot of people were having a go at me by saying "It's only a 2 game deal for pre-season!"
The only pathetic are the people who are getting annoyed by this sensible move.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Christ. Drama Queen much?

total waste of money. The first negative against ETH in my book. If Maguire is sent packing that will be a second.
Calm down, he’s in as cover on a low wage for free. Will provide excellent leadership and give us decent rotation for cup comps and the like. Fits the manager’s style of play too. About as good as you’ll get for a 5th choice CB and is United through and though.

Also, Maguire being sent packing would be a second negative for you? How’s that? Surely everyone acknowledges what a poor fit he is for us and what an obvious sale he is to raise funds for other areas of the team. Either to buy a much better third choice CB who suits the style of play and is young, or to add cover at DM.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Should never have been sold but he's now way past his best and injury prone. Ten Hag did mention possibly needing one more CB though. Fine as emergency cover if he can stay fit.

Shiva87

Makes complete sense and very unlike United to do something like this. I think he will be more important that we think this season with Varane being injury prone, Lindelof not having enough consistency, and Maguire totally bereft of any confidence and being shouted at by Onana.

Some cup games here and there he can easily cover, especially when we are playing non PL opposition.

also, this may be an indication to Maguire that he really needs to take a pay cut and move or risk losing his England role

Hoof the ball

I'm actually rather astonished at the number of individuals who can't see the rationale behind this move. Evans will barely play and will be paid pennies for occupying a squad position. Furthermore, it'll put massive pressure on Maguire to get his agent to find him a move and we'll get his wages out the club. Maguire is harbouring designs on being 3rd choice CB and waiting for Varane to catch an injury. Evans will challenge Maguire's spot and potentially push him to 5th choice.

Again, how are some people not seeing this move for what it is? It's not rocket science why EtH is doing it.