Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
I think massively underrated. Liverpool would struggle without him.
As good as Henderson's been for Liverpool , They do have options there in case he's not playing. Fabinho slots in at #6 , Gini and then you have other players like Ox,Keita,Milner. Henderson has been immense for liverpool of late but he's prone to having a bad game too. What liverpool would struggle more is if the fullbacks are missing or if VVD gets injured.

Storm Force

Supports
Liverpool
As good as Henderson's been for Liverpool , They do have options there in case he's not playing. Fabinho slots in at #6 , Gini and then you have other players like Ox,Keita,Milner. Henderson has been immense for liverpool of late but he's prone to having a bad game too. What liverpool would struggle more is if the fullbacks are missing or if VVD gets injured.
But the discussion is about Henderson

We all know Liverpool's full backs vvd and the goalkeeper are world class as are the front three.

The question is Henderson is he overrated or underrated I believe he is vital to their midfield which rarly gets overrun or dominated the acid test will be etihad or athletico in few weeks

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Why would he go for someone better? That would just be a waste of money. Henderson does the job his manager wants him to do, but so could many others.
Goal and assist today for the interchangeable and functional Henderson.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He should be made England captain for the Euros.

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. Beats me how Kane gets to be the captain when Henderson's won the UCL,Supercup and the Club World Cup as a Captain for liverpool.

Storm Force

Supports
Liverpool
I see Alan sheared thinks Henderson would win Player of the year award .

One thing is certain who ever wins it will almost certainly be from Liverpool

I think it's between Henderson firmino and Virgil

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Firmino shouldn't be winning it.

Ought to be van dijk again really. Mane in with a good shout.

LVGSdive

Henderson is a class act. Plays for the team, plays to his personal strengths. Plays the ball forward and quick.

fps

He’s more than just his playing you can tell he sets the tempo and work ethic all the way through the club.

He is enormously underrated, a top cog in a top machine.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Reminds me of that time people were hyping up players like Sahin, Bender, Kagawa, Piscszek, Subotic, Schmelzer and probably half a dozen more at Dortmund as top class when Klopp was still there. I'd pretty much bet my left n*t that most of these Liverpool players (bar Alisson and VVD, maybe also Mané and Fabinh as a stretch) wouldn't be performing at half this level for any other manager in any other team. Klopp is no magician and he surely can't turn every Sunday league player into world beaters, but there are certain types of players that absolutely smash it for his sides and his sides only. Henderson is most probably one of those too, IMO.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Reminds me of that time people were hyping up players like Sahin, Bender, Kagawa, Piscszek, Subotic, Schmelzer and probably half a dozen more at Dortmund as top class when Klopp was still there. I'd pretty much bet my left n*t that most of these Liverpool players (bar Alisson and VVD, maybe also Mané and Fabinh as a stretch) wouldn't be performing at half this level for any other manager in any other team. Klopp is no magician and he surely can't turn every Sunday league player into world beaters, but there are certain types of players that absolutely smash it for his sides and his sides only. Henderson is most probably one of those too, IMO.
I have not been Henderson’s biggest fan. It’s actually only about 12 months ago (around that January period) he started putting in really top notch performances.

But he was also really really good in 2013/2014 season and we missed him big time vs Chelsea so he has put in really good performances over a season for more than Klopp.

manc4red

You have to be kidding me. Yes Klopp can get the best out of everyone but Klopp knows what each players ceiling and potential is. There is a reason why Lallana, Shaqiri etc play bits only and Henderson has been made invaluable by EVERY manager that has worked with him.

Fans these days seem to think every player needs to be flashy. Luckily real managers see past the flair and understand Henderson offers alot and at a really high level

slored1

His energy is invaluable. He's the engine of this Liverpool side, runs like a duracell bunny, and suits Klopp's system perfectly.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
His energy is invaluable. He's the engine of this Liverpool side, runs like a duracell bunny, and suits Klopp's system perfectly.
Energizer Bunny? ;)
Duralcell is all about copper top batteries :)

lex talionis

Henderson does exactly what Klopp needs him to do as Liverpool accumulate trophies and pile on the points. There can be no complaints.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It depends on whether or not England can get the best out of him by playing him in a more advanced midfield role. I don't know if it's injury history that's been a factor in him playing a deeper role for club & country, but as we've seen a few times this season he does his best stuff when allowed to venture deep into the opposition half.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The thing is that Klopp had the opposite effect on Henderson for a long time.
He turned him from a box to box midfielder who knew how to pick a forward pass before he received it and always moved well to receive the ball, into a holding player with zero press resistance, always passing it back to the centrebacks and otherwise jogging around in marked positions. He improved him defensively a fair bit but he regressed as a player overall.

It's only from December 2018 when he was moved back as an 8 (Klopp didn't believe he could play that role), that he started looking like the old Hendo on the ball, albeit a defensively stronger one with a lot more maturity and leadership to his game.

When Fabinho got injured and he moved back to the holding role, he kept his positive use of the ball and stepped up another level. He's even eradicated his most classical weakness of not taking the ball on the turn under pressure.

He's a really complete midfielder now, as comfortable holding the midfield as he is box to box, and does a lot to maintain our tempo with constant crisp quick forward passing, basically as good as the best case I ever hoped for him. But a fair bit of his progression to this point has actually been in spite of Klopp.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson was very good under Rogers in 13/14 - Liverpool won 12 of the final 14 games; he was suspended for the two Liverpool didn’t win. It’s not just Klopp.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
What??? This is a joke, right?
It's like Giggs in 2009 all over again. Respected senior pro hits a good run of form in January/February, media bandwagon forms, and then bang! Player of the year in April.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apart from Mane, who else really deserves it this year...? There aren't many players that have been great.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Apart from Mane, who else really deserves it this year...? There aren't many players that have been great.
Mane, Salah, Trent and Van Dijk have all been better. Arguably Firmino as well. Henderson is having a great season, but POTY? Mental

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
For me, Van Dijk and Trent are very much playing at a traditional POTY level. They just play positions that rarely win it.

bsCallout

Always thought he was under-appreciated and the sort of player you want in a title winning team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Completely overrated when putting him in the POTY bracket. Underrated in most other aspects though.

DVG7

Henderson is simply fulfilling his potential. A lot of people’s views on him were altered when they read SAF book where for some reason he decided to humiliate henderson to a certain extent (I mean, why was that an essential paragraph in that book, it looks really foolish now)

He’s been expected to be one of the better midfielders in England since his appearance on Soccer AM skill school And he now unquestionably is. He very rarely puts a foot wrong these days.

Andersons Dietician

He’s just one of those players where his effort and mentality and what he clearly brings to that team are probably better than his general ability with a ball. He’s a good footballer, not a great footballer but it works for him. He’s just got something extra about him that elevates him.

Hes probably the kind of pro United actually need at the moment. No frills, just does the job right.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s just one of those players where his effort and mentality and what he clearly brings to that team are probably better than his general ability with a ball. He’s a good footballer, not a great footballer but it works for him. He’s just got something extra about him that elevates him.

Hes probably the kind of pro United actually need at the moment. No frills, just does the job right.
He posts extremely similar stats to Mctominay, he's just in a far, far, far superior team. We certainly do not need him.

Andersons Dietician

He posts extremely similar stats to Mctominay, he's just in a far, far, far superior team. We certainly do not need him.
He does a lot more off the ball though, he’s just got something else which is somewhat unexplainable. Stats never tell the full story. Like how do you measure the positions and stuff he picks up on the field or him being in the right places at the right time. That’s something MCT hasn’t mastered yet.

When I say we could do with him it’s for the mentality that he brings to that team. It’s obvious to see he’s a leader.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He does a lot more off the ball though, he’s just got something else which is somewhat unexplainable. Stats never tell the full story. Like how do you measure the positions and stuff he picks up on the field or him being in the right places at the right time. That’s something MCT hasn’t mastered yet.

When I say we could do with him it’s for the mentality that he brings to that team. It’s obvious to see he’s a leader.
It's not that unexplainable, he just plays in a better team. The position he picks up on the field are just part of a well set up team and he's always going to be the play you leave spare out of that side. The stats can show you "right place at the right time" with interceptions and recoveries or chances created, touches in the opposition half/box. He really doesn't excel at that at all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...better-Manchester-City-star-Kevin-Bruyne.html quite a good article with stats on it.

billybee99

Mane, Salah, Trent and Van Dijk have all been better. Arguably Firmino as well. Henderson is having a great season, but POTY? Mental
It is absolutely mental. He's a good player but I wouldn't even put him in the top 7 or 8 players on his own team for feck sake. The front 3 are certainly better. VVD without question. The 2 fullbacks hands down. Maybe the keeper too. That's seven players. Some might even debate Fabinho.