Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
A bit of both. I’m not a huge fan but some of our fans think he’s great.

I think he’s got a habit of attempting passes that either aren’t on, or aren’t in his locker.

He peaked for a few months during 13/14 when he was playing as the most advanced in a midfield three. Since then he’s done ok as a holding midfielder.

He’s not captain material imo.
In a league where the top six captains include the likes of Koscielny, Cahill, and Valencia, I don't think Henderson is that bad, really. He's a bit like Vincent Kompany in the sense that he seems to be a good head to have in the dressing room, but is no longer the first name on the team sheet.

(Kompany is a tier above in all regards, though).

The most featured (& rightly so) top six captain is currently Hugo Lloris :lol: None of the other 5 come close, really.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
In a league where the top six captains include the likes of Koscielny, Cahill, and Valencia, I don't think Henderson is that bad, really. He's a bit like Vincent Kompany in the sense that he seems to be a good head to have in the dressing room, but is no longer the first name on the team sheet.

(Kompany is a tier above in all regards, though).

The most featured (& rightly so) top six captain is currently Hugo Lloris :lol: None of the other 5 come close, really.
Yeah fair point. It’s a bit of a come down from the likes of Terry, Gerrard and the numerous options United had (Ferdinand, Giggs, Neville etc).

I think Van Dijk would be a better choice for us though.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah fair point. It’s a bit of a come down from the likes of Terry, Gerrard and the numerous options United had (Ferdinand, Giggs, Neville etc).

I think Van Dijk would be a better choice for us though.
100%, and I'm sure he'll get the armband if he's still here once Henderson leaves. No point in taking it off him, though.

RochaRoja

I rate him. Liverpool could do with two creators above him like Fernandinho has ahead of him at City. He has the legs to cover them.
He’s not really a defensive midfielder though. He’s an all round box-to-box player who doesn’t particularly excel at anything. He’s basically a poor man’s Darren Fletcher.

Milner has similar qualities to Henderson and is an all round better footballer but he has become massively overrated this season.

RochaRoja

A bit of both. I’m not a huge fan but some of our fans think he’s great.

I think he’s got a habit of attempting passes that either aren’t on, or aren’t in his locker.

He peaked for a few months during 13/14 when he was playing as the most advanced in a midfield three. Since then he’s done ok as a holding midfielder.

He’s not captain material imo.
He started out at Sunderland as an attacking midfielder too. He’s basically been forced back to a more defensive role because he lacks the technical quality to play there for a good side.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He isnt a very good player.

It was particularly evident during the world cup where people were absolutely raving about him, as he let player after player run off him, as he failed to pass the ball forward, as he marked himself out of games by actively moving towards opposition players without the ball so he wasnt on for a pass, as he left gaping holes in midfield around him with his lack of movement.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure if anyone rates him highly to call him overrated.

He is decent squad player though.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Squad player for a top side.
He’d be a decent squad player for most teams
He is decent squad player though.
People say squad player, but there’s an argument to be made that Henderson would start for every top 6 side bar City.

United: he’s on the same level as Herrera, you wouldn’t gain or lose anything by replacing one with the other.
Chelsea: better than Jorginho (maybe not better but more suited to the Prem)
Spurs: better than Dier
Arsenal: arguably better than any of their CM options

That says something about how bad the Prem’s midfield reinforcements are. After all this money spent, Henderson still doesn’t look out of place in any team other than City.

roonster09

Scout
People say squad player, but there’s an argument to be made that Henderson would start for every top 6 side bar City.

United: he’s on the same level as Herrera, you wouldn’t gain or lose anything by replacing one with the other.

That says something about how bad the Prem’s midfield reinforcements are. After all this money spent, Henderson still doesn’t look out of place in any team other than City.
Now he is definitely overrated.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Now he is definitely overrated.
Can you elaborate?

In my opinion Henderson is indistinguishable from all the other average midfielders who start regularly for the top sides in the PL (Dier, Xhaka, Herrera, Barkley)

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Has his ups and downs. Can sling a nice pass and occasionally shows glimpses of class. Can't argue about the fact that he always is happy to put a shift in. I think overall, he pass way too much sideways.

Here's a twist to the question - take off the EPL glasses, what do you guys think of him as an England international?

roonster09

Scout
Can you elaborate?

In my opinion Henderson is indistinguishable from all the other average midfielders who start regularly for the top sides in the PL (Dier, Xhaka, Herrera, Barkley)
What you are implying is Henderson is one of the best in the league as he is good enough to play for every team except City. He isnt, he isn't better then Herrera. His role is played by Kante, so he won't start for Chelsea either.

automaticflare

Brutal player. Positional awareness for a defensive midfielder is awful. As Klopp likes the press his energy gets him away with it sometimes for Liverpool more than he would at other teams.

Takes one extra touch than a top class midfielder would also

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
From the many games I’ve seen of him: he’s shite. He has one of the weirdest body mechanics when moving around and he never looks like a natural footballer with the ball at his feet. He has very little agility and tries too hard with his passing when simple and drilled passes would do.

He works hard defensively and it seems he’s made him self vocally useful on the pitch to warrant a spot because I can’t see why he still has a starting position. He’s just a louder mctominay

Ekeke

Both. Has had a poor season so overrated. But a couple of years ago he had a good season so was probably a little underrated

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He was very poor for the first half of the season.

Been in very good good the past few months though and seems to be getting better than he was before. More purpose to his passing and more comfortable turning with the ball than I recall seeing from him before.

RochaRoja

He isnt a very good player.

It was particularly evident during the world cup where people were absolutely raving about him, as he let player after player run off him, as he failed to pass the ball forward, as he marked himself out of games by actively moving towards opposition players without the ball so he wasnt on for a pass, as he left gaping holes in midfield around him with his lack of movement.
He played well against Sweden but that’s the exact kind of team you’d expect him to do well against (i.e. one that plays like a ‘00s lower mid-table premier League side).

RochaRoja

Has his ups and downs. Can sling a nice pass and occasionally shows glimpses of class. Can't argue about the fact that he always is happy to put a shift in. I think overall, he pass way too much sideways.

Here's a twist to the question - take off the EPL glasses, what do you guys think of him as an England international?
The fact that he has so many caps is a damning indictment of the quality of this generation of English midfielders.

He’s just kind of...there.

EasyE

Nowhere near the same level of Herrerra sorry. Herrera is equivalent to Kante for me. Henderson does not have the close control, one touch give go and spacial awareness to get out of those tight holes. He also wouldn't do all the little things that are so invaluable to the team like take a fall if the team are under the cosh to stop the momentum. He's a master of the dark arts. Henderson is a work horse. So no, you couldn't just simply "swap" them.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln

Spurs
: better than Dier

Kante is the one to compare here.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Nowhere near the same level of Herrerra sorry. Herrera is equivalent to Kante for me. Henderson does not have the close control, one touch give go and spacial awareness to get out of those tight holes. He also wouldn't do all the little things that are so invaluable to the team like take a fall if the team are under the cosh to stop the momentum. He's a master of the dark arts. Henderson is a work horse. So no, you couldn't just simply "swap" them.
Please

TheLiverBird

As a few have said, he can’t be overated because nobody....overates him

Most seem to state he’s either shite or a decent option to have

I personally think he is a good player, and a decent option to have.

He reads the game well, his work rate is phenomenal in that he’s a pressing machine, he’s got a good pass on him of which ideally I’d like to see more often, and I do think he’s quite a good leader to have in the dressing room. Very passionate fella.

He’s not an exciting player to watch, he’s not a worldie of a player

But he’s certainly useful

We do often miss him when he’s not available, so that must mean he is good and influential in this Liverpool team in his own boring style of play way.

As a Pool fan I’m happy to have him, the game isn’t all about tricks and flicks, sometimes the basics done very well can make a difference

jeolousonesstayenvious

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson has been a decent professional for Liverpool, not great nor bad, just average. However in 2013/2014 he was exceptional, I profoundly believe that his suspension against Chelsea cost us the title that season. He offsetted an aging Steven Gerard’s diminishing athleticism, with his relentless running. He offered balance, hence we were able to get away with it most games

dbs235

Passion merchant. Might be a Jimmy Milner Mr Consistent with a few years more experience.

I did love the way he didn't flinch when being charged by Diego Costa that time. Costa bottled it when he'd gone too far.

That was funny to watch :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Going by the replies he's obviously underrated on here. Outside of a United forum, I have no idea. Dutch pundit love him, but they verbally ejaqualate over anything Liverpool related.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
A few (very) good games under a new manager & suddenly Herrera is now on terms with one of Europe's best midfielders over the past few years? I don't see it.

(Kante is having a shite season for obvious reasons, though).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's a good player and had an excellent game yesterday. The ball to Salah in the first half was sumptious. He's an easy target for everyone because of how Pool fans raved about him when he signed/always being in Gerrards shadow, but to me he's just like Milner is for them, not the best player by any means but will work hard and provide the engine for other players around him to thrive off.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He's a good player and had an excellent game yesterday. The ball to Salah in the first half was sumptious. He's an easy target for everyone because of how Pool fans raved about him when he signed/always being in Gerrards shadow, but to me he's just like Milner is for them, not the best player by any means but will work hard and provide the engine for other players around him to thrive off.
His form since late December has been really good.

Think Fabinho turning out to be a better player than him has been good for him. Both in terms of a kick up the arse to stop with the constant backpasses and waving arms from marked positions but he's also looked a lot better when Fabinho has been there to anchor midfield.

He was dreadful earlier in the season but on current form makes me want to see more.

On this form, it might be Wijnaldum losing his place even though he's been our best midfielder over the course of the season.

Hitman Harry

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson is bloody brilliant. It’s so refreshing having a captain on the pitch constantly talking, shouting and motivating the rest of the team.

I used to be really unsure about him but as I’ve got older, I’ve appreciated the importance of a player with his attributes more. Every team needs a Henderson. I even think Pep would try and fit him in the Man City midfield somehow.

The issue is, and the reason he is not rated outside the Liverpool fan base, is that he picks up so many injuries. This has meant his career has been stop/start and he also struggles to keep up the intensity if he plays two games a week.

To call him shite is a bit naive imo. As I said before, I think most managers would love to have him in their side as he projects the managers attitude on the pitch. I look at a team like Chelsea right now and think he would solve so many of their problems (lack of leadership, intensity, tactical implementation)

Last edited by a moderator:

RochaRoja

I used to be really unsure about him but as I’ve got older, I’ve appreciated the importance of a player with his attributes more. Every team needs a Henderson. I even think Pep would try and fit him in the Man City midfield somehow.
He most certainly would not.

Hitman Harry

Supports
Liverpool
He most certainly would not.
That was a bit of an extreme example as City have the luxury of some of the best midfielders in the world with the work rate to go with the guile, so they can bypass the attributes that Henderson brings to a team. However, I still really do believe that Pep would love to have someone like Henderson in or around the team.

Their Darren Fletcher. Make of that what you will.
That's a very good comparison actually.