Jorginho | Arsenal player

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Strength is a lot to do with balance as well, he also doesn't seem to use his centre of gravity very effectively. I've always thought that part of a strength battle starts mentally, the most determined players always come across as the strongest, Sterling's hardly a body builder yet how often do you see him shrugged off the ball? I don't think Jorginho has that classic "warrior" mentality.
Didn't Sterling bulk up a bit? I think he did. Their winning goal against Chalke the other day was him using his strength against much bigger opponent. But you're right, half the battle certainly is being mentally prepared to go in for tackles. But really if you're hesitant to go in for tackles because you're too weak/thin then just hit the gym a bit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is that the first major penalty he's ever missed? Pretty sure his Napoli record was excellent.

Edit: Just watched the shoot out, Kun's penalty was actually very similar. He just got lucky.

Azpilicueta hit best penalty of the lot, couldn't have got more top corner if he'd tried. He also hit a great one v Spurs.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Never doubted he'd score, whereas with Morata it was the opposite.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Fair play. Hell of a last few weeks for him.
No doubt in anyone's mind he'd score.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not a bad couple of months if he adds a Euro's winner medal to the UCL one

Saw some article claiming he should win the Balon D'Or if that happened :lol:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I think that’s how you play the role. Metronome. Calm and composed. He’s effective. No doubt about it
Bloody hell... he doesn't play that well for Chelsea...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bloody hell... he doesn't play that well for Chelsea...
Really? From what I've seen he was very good for Chelsea under Tuchel, maybe not quite as progressive with the ball as he's been in this Tournament but certainly the best he's been for Chelsea (wank for both Sarri and Lampard)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think that’s how you play the role. Metronome. Calm and composed. He’s effective. No doubt about it
I think he's exactly the type of player we need. If we get a serious upgrade on Lindelof, we don't really need a defensive midfielder, we need a midfielder capable of progressing play and willing to take the ball at all opportunities. Playing out from the back against a competent pressing team requires that skillset.

Out of all our midfielders, it's probably only Garner who may come close to this profile.

AshRK

He is so calm and composed. Can see why Pep wanted him. Rodri looks 2 levels below to him.

ti vu

What a great penalty!!! the coolest penalty i have ever seen..
Not as great as Pirlo's Panenka wiping off the smug smile off Joe Hart's face. Pirlo penalty really affected England mentally and changed the tide (England was leading up until Pirlo's penalty. Pirlo was under immerse pressure and still pulled out the Panenka)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Really? From what I've seen he was very good for Chelsea under Tuchel, maybe not quite as progressive with the ball as he's been in this Tournament but certainly the best he's been for Chelsea (wank for both Sarri and Lampard)
Yes, very good and good - not anything like I've seen him play for Italy in this tournament. But, you are right, probably you can't play 38 PL games like that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he's exactly the type of player we need. If we get a serious upgrade on Lindelof, we don't really need a defensive midfielder, we need a midfielder capable of progressing play and willing to take the ball at all opportunities. Playing out from the back against a competent pressing team requires that skillset.

Out of all our midfielders, it's probably only Garner who may come close to this profile.
Locatelli?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s had a good year with Chelsea but incredible for Italy

kidbob

And Busquets two levels above
Well yes but as much as playactor he is Busquets is one of the best ever in that position so Jorginho can be levels below and still a greta player. Although I do think that it can be rather easy to overrun Jorginho at times with energetic midfielders.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Locatelli?
He doesn't look that similar to me. Busquets plays the same role (a few classes above to be honest, but of course no spring chicken) but not many players I can think of that do this so competently. Can see why Pep wanted him originally.

Corey

Simon's goalkeeping for Jorginho's penalty was awful.

Zoo

He was running in treacle for Morata’s goal. Amazing pen though.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Jorgi ticked Italy as a team.Without runners alongside him he struggled often especially in pl same could be said about Italy too. With veratti subbed Spain gained advantage of slowness in jorginho s movement.

Tuchel made team for his weakness with three back formation.He often overrun in midfield despite alongside kante there is always numbers in defense. Frank totally got it wrong with him.

Sarri did better for jorginho with his slow possession style but turn over still exposed jorgi a lot under sarri.

RooneyLegend

Was poor but took a great penalty. I'm surprised coaches like him that much given he can't defend, isn't much of a great passer and when things get real tight he stays away from the ball.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
That was a very good penalty. I just wished once he got to the camera he shouted 'that was cold blooooooded' in his best Dave Chappelle/Rick James voice.

Eternitiy

Great player, I rate him above Kante.

Would have loved it if we signed him instead of Chelsea, just the type of player we've missed since Carrick's retirement.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Was poor but took a great penalty. I'm surprised coaches like him that much given he can't defend, isn't much of a great passer and when things get real tight he stays away from the ball.
Well you clearly don’t watch him very much then.

He always makes himself available for a pass and along with Kovacic are two of the best midfielders in the world at playing in tight spaces. We even use this in our attacks with Tuchel to draw teams onto us and leave space behind.

My only issue with him is that (especially in Sarri’s reign) he would have too much of the ball when we weren’t playing well. He won’t make Hollywood passes, he keeps the team ticking.. which doesn’t particularly work if your team is playing badly.

RooneyLegend

Well you clearly don’t watch him very much then.

He always makes himself available for a pass and along with Kovacic are two of the best midfielders in the world at playing in tight spaces. We even use this in our attacks with Tuchel to draw teams onto us and leave space behind.

My only issue with him is that (especially in Sarri’s reign) he would have too much of the ball when we weren’t playing well. He won’t make Hollywood passes, he keeps the team ticking.. which doesn’t particularly work if your team is playing badly.
Well, he literally just hid vs Spain. He's good in tight spaces, maybe even very good because he's got a really quick football brain but he doesnt have amazing footwork which means under pressure he normally just plays the ball back to the defenders which achieves nothing.

criticalanalysis

As far as winning penalties in a shootout go, it was cool.

But not as cool as Abreu against Ghana, eh @antohan? :cool:

Just checked his wiki page. Fecking hell what a career. Those signing on fees :drool:

earsTeamApps(Gls)
1995–1996Defensor24(13)
1996–1998San Lorenzo43(26)
1998–2004Deportivo La Coruña15(3)
1998Grêmio (loan)7(1)
1999–2000Tecos (loan)33(27)
2000–2001San Lorenzo (loan)25(10)
2001Nacional (loan)18(16)
2002–2003Cruz Azul (loan)39(34)
2003América (loan)16(3)
2004Tecos (loan)17(5)
2004–2005Nacional31(16)
2005–2006Sinaloa34(22)
2006Monterrey16(7)
2007San Luis14(6)
2007–2008UANL15(7)
2008River Plate (loan)17(2)
2008Beitar Jerusalem0(0)
2008–2009River Plate0(0)
2009Real Sociedad (loan)18(11)
2009–2010Aris8(3)
2010–2012Botafogo93(55)
2012Figueirense (loan)5(0)
2013–2015Nacional18(5)
2013–2014Rosario Central (loan)38(8)
2015Aucas (loan)10(4)
2016Sol de América10(2)
2016Santa Tecla21(13)
2017Bangu10(3)
2017Central Español8(6)
2017Puerto Montt13(11)
2018Audax Italiano10(0)
2018Magallanes9(3)
2019Rio Branco8(6)
2019–2020Boston River33(4)
2021Athletic Club-MG4(0)
2021Sud América4(0)

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
Well, he literally just hid vs Spain. He's good in tight spaces, maybe even very good because he's got a really quick football brain but he doesnt have amazing footwork which means under pressure he normally just plays the ball back to the defenders which achieves nothing.
See this is why Jorginho will always remain underrated. Even by Chelsea fans who watch him day in day out. It is also why a player like Kovacic who plays next to him will look more impressive 9/10 despite being the inferior player.

Jorginho makes the right decision 9.9 times out of 10. His footwork is average but as you say his mind his quick. That means he almost always makes the right decision, which includes not doing something daft like trying to dribble or dance your way out of pressure when you play as a deep lying midfielder. Losing the ball in that position means you gift the opposition a free goal scoring opportunity. There are almost no scenarios where dancing or dribbling your way out of pressure is the right decision in the position Jorginho plays. If you do that it either means you have failed to position yourself correctly or the the team has failed to do the same.

People who do not grasp football at a deep tactical level cannot see why a player like Jorginho is more effective and adds more value then say a player who is more nimble and able to dribble himself out of trouble. The latter is taking huge risks which usually do not compare with the added benefit. Not many players play that position better than Jorginho. It is extremely difficult and unforgiving position and job. One mistake and you probably cost your team a goal. Do the right thing and nobody will notice.

One criticism of Jorginho is that when he moves high up the pitch he becomes less effective because he is not a dribbling forward and does not posses qualities like Iniesta for example who could do a lot in different roles. Then again, Iniesta is an all time great who was extremely unique. The basic premise is that very few players can play dual roles and be effective in all areas of the pitch.

RooneyLegend

See this is why Jorginho will always remain underrated. Even by Chelsea fans who watch him day in day out. It is also why a player like Kovacic who plays next to him will look more impressive 9/10 despite being the inferior player.

Jorginho makes the right decision 9.9 times out of 10. His footwork is average but as you say his mind his quick. That means he almost always makes the right decision, which includes not doing something daft like trying to dribble or dance your way out of pressure when you play as a deep lying midfielder. Losing the ball in that position means you gift the opposition a free goal scoring opportunity. There are almost no scenarios where dancing or dribbling your way out of pressure is the right decision in the position Jorginho plays. If you do that it either means you have failed to position yourself correctly or the the team has failed to do the same.

People who do not grasp football at a deep tactical level cannot see why a player like Jorginho is more effective and adds more value then say a player who is more nimble and able to dribble himself out of trouble. The latter is taking huge risks which usually do not compare with the added benefit. Not many players play that position better than Jorginho. It is extremely difficult and unforgiving position and job. One mistake and you probably cost your team a goal. Do the right thing and nobody will notice.

One criticism of Jorginho is that when he moves high up the pitch he becomes less effective because he is not a dribbling forward and does not posses qualities like Iniesta for example who could do a lot in different roles. Then again, Iniesta is an all time great who was extremely unique. The basic premise is that very few players can play dual roles and be effective in all areas of the pitch.
Playing the ball immediately back to the defender achieves nothing under a full press. What makes the likes of Busquets special is they can find a way to play forward in those circumstances. What you call 'daft' is literally what makes some holding mids all time greats.