Jorginho | Arsenal player

RedDevilQuebecois

How much money did Arsenal dish to get him? I'm also susprised that Chelsea sold him directly to Arsenal.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Crazy you do so much business together.

I always forget who has the most rivalry with who with London clubs but United doing anything with City or Liverpool is unthinkable.
Yeah, always found this a bit odd.

Chelsea and Arsenal do business like Italian clubs, where they all seem to fecking hate each other, but a lot of the big players seem to have played for most of the big clubs.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
How much money did Arsenal dish to get him? I'm also susprised that Chelsea sold him directly to Arsenal.
£12M. Not bad for someone who had just six months on his deal and who the club had no interest in extending.

Why surprised? Chelsea and Arsenal do transfer business with each other all the time (Luiz, Giroud, Cech, Benayoun, Gallas, Cole, Lass Diarra etc.) and it's just Tottenham that neither of us will deal with.

Wheato

Great signing for them actually. Partey has those allegations hanging over him, so could suddenly disappear. Jorginho can step right in and play at the highest level, completely unfazed. Been there, done it. The younger players will follow his lead.

Yeah, he has had a slight drop in form of late, but the issues at Chelsea are much deeper, especially with that loon who is in charge of the club.

Skills

Snitch
Great signing for them actually. Partey has those allegations hanging over him, so could suddenly disappear. Jorginho can step right in and play at the highest level, completely unfazed. Been there, done it. The younger players will follow his lead.

Yeah, he has had a slight drop in form of late, but the issues at Chelsea are much deeper, especially with that loon who is in charge of the club.
That midfield would immediately be so porous if you took Partey out for Jorginho

Irrational.

Crazy you do so much business together.

I always forget who has the most rivalry with who with London clubs but United doing anything with City or Liverpool is unthinkable.
London is like a mini Bundesliga: Ashley Cole, Gallas, Willian, David Luiz, Cech, Giroud, Fabregas, Anelka - seems like the players don't mind either.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
That midfield would immediately be so porous if you took Partey our for Jorginho
Xhaka and Jorginho as a midfield pairing would be so fecking slow it would be hilarious. :lol:

I could see Jorginho being good for them if he plays next to Partey but if he's out they need another body in there to cover for Jorginho's lack of athleticism.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I sometimes think there’s a delay in the speed of my TV, but no, it’s just Jorginho on the ball.

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
Good bit of business I predict. Very similar to Trossard. Prem proven, affordable, added depth and adds experience.

For 12m I'm not turning my nose up at all.

Reyoji-Utd

Think the rivalry is not there between Arsenal and Chelsea rather both of them with Tottenham.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Will be playing in a team that moves and keeps the ball very well. We have seen how Arteta has unlocked Xhaka in ths team. Wouldnt surprrise me if Arteta is able to help Jorginho roll back the years and perform as he did in the years prior. And if he doesn't, he only cost 12m and at worse is a big upgrade on Lokonga and Elneny.

And as a back up to Partey, I would prefer Jorginho to Kalvin Phillips.

I reckon he will do very well, and we will end up exercising the option to keep him for the 24-25 season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Good deal for both teams. £12 mil for someone as experienced and decorated as Jorginho is really a bargain. Chelsea were going to lose him in the summer for free and cashed in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't really get it myself. They'll have to change the system when he's on the pitch?
Gives them a different dimension a means of approach to problems; also means Odegaard can venture further forward at those times, too. They gain from this. Definitely adds to the squad.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Odd signing. Replace either Partey or Xhaka with this guy and there’s an immediate huge drop off in the ability of their midfield to defend. Could probably be useful up against parked buses but it’s not as though they’re struggling for goals.
But if he plays alongside both of them when they need to control games, it could work well. They would need to sacrifice one of the attackers for that though, probably Martinelli.

In all honesty, he has very obvious weaknesses that Chelsea did well to cover at times but were also exposed horribly at times. The system and the players you surround him with determines whether he is an asset or liability.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But if he plays alongside both of them when they need to control games, it could work well. They would need to sacrifice one of the attackers for that though, probably Martinelli.

In all honesty, he has very obvious weaknesses that Chelsea did well to cover at times but were also exposed horribly at times. The system and the players you surround him with determines whether he is an asset or liability.
Think people can forget this as well. He certainly wasnt getting exposed much when Tuchel first came in and you guys were looking rock solid and hardly conceding goals.
I know he went to 3 at the back, but starting formation doesn't really matter that much, it's how you setup with or without the ball that dictates things. The trick is to support him and condense the space so him , or anyone for that matter aren't exposed.

At Arsenal the centre backs now push up high, Zinchenko comes in to support, White can come inside to support, Xhaka can drop a bit more rather than playing quite high. Partey is much more dynamic, but you rarely see him sprinting back. When he chased down Antony in the recent game everyone was a bit shocked by his pace and it went viral because i don't think anyone had seen him running full pelt before, because he hasn't really had to.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Think people can forget this as well. He certainly wasnt getting exposed much when Tuchel first came in and you guys were looking rock solid and hardly conceding goals.
I know he went to 3 at the back, but starting formation doesn't really matter that much, it's how you setup with or without the ball that dictates things. The trick is to support him and condense the space so him , or anyone for that matter aren't exposed.

At Arsenal the centre backs now push up high, Zinchenko comes in to support, White can come inside to support, Xhaka can drop a bit more rather than playing quite high. Partey is much more dynamic, but you rarely see him sprinting back. When he chased down Antony in the recent game everyone was a bit shocked by his pace and it went viral because i don't think anyone had seen him running full pelt before, because he hasn't really had to.
Apologies if you've seen this or if it's been posted earlier in the thread, but this video is excellent:

Think Jorginho nestled in at the centre of that group of 5 players makes a lot of sense and really mirrors what we did under Tuchel when he first came in (though Arsenal use more of a 2-3 and we used a 3-2). Arsenal will lose some of the physicality that Partey brings but you'll also have fewer possession brainfarts like the one that led to Rashford's recent goal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Apologies if you've seen this or if it's been posted earlier in the thread, but this video is excellent:

Think Jorginho nestled in at the centre of that group of 5 players makes a lot of sense and really mirrors what we did under Tuchel when he first came in (though Arsenal use more of a 2-3 and we used a 3-2). Arsenal will lose some of the physicality that Partey brings but you'll also have fewer possession brainfarts like the one that led to Rashford's recent goal.
Hadn't seen that yet, thanks for posting, backs up my point. Listen, no-one is pretending the guy is going to come in at 31 and be a world beater. He is what he is, as your guys have pointed out, he has flaws that everyone can see. Very much like with Xhaka, it's about minimising those flaws and maximising what they are good at i suppose.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hadn't seen that yet, thanks for posting, backs up my point. Listen, no-one is pretending the guy is going to come in at 31 and be a world beater. He is what he is, as your guys have pointed out, he has flaws that everyone can see. Very much like with Xhaka, it's about minimising those flaws and maximising what they are good at i suppose.
Yeah also if I were you I'd be encouraged that Arteta has (apparently) been keen on him for years, dating back to his time at Man City. Suggests he'll have an idea of how best to deploy him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah also if I were you I'd be encouraged that Arteta has (apparently) been keen on him for years, dating back to his time at Man City. Suggests he'll have an idea of how best to deploy him.
In the end it is a win win situation for both parties. Chelsea got 12M for a player with a 6 months contract they no longer need, and Arsenal got a short term cover for Partey.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In the end it is a win win situation for both parties. Chelsea got 12M for a player with a 6 months contract they no longer need, and Arsenal got a short term cover for Partey.
Yep and Jorginho hopefully gets a league medal for the first time in his career. Suits all parties I think - by all accounts Jorginho is a lovely guy and I don't begrudge him going for the move in the slightest.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Think he'll surprise people and be good in a well-defined system. Past year or so Chelsea has had problems establishing a structured play, which I think has been to Jorginho's detriment especially. He excelled in Sarri's Napoli side and I think he'll roll back the years a little bit in a structured Arteta side. Don't think he leaves on bad terms and would've liked to keep him until the summer even though it was time for Chelsea to move on from him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Undercover agent off to a great start.

CM

This transfer does have a touch of the Willians about it. I'd be surprised if it's deemed a success by the time he leaves Arsenal.

Idxomer

Why would they get another Chelsea player after Willian and Luiz?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
This transfer does have a touch of the Willians about it. I'd be surprised if it's deemed a success by the time he leaves Arsenal.
We bought him as backup not as a starter. Obviously wasn't our first choice but he is an upgrade on Elneny (who's now injured) and Lokonga (who went on loan to Palace). At least it's a fairly short term contract unlike Willian's, who thankfully agreed to terminate it when he left.