José looking to sign 6 players in summer - 2CM, LB, RB, W, CB [Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

Hey, yous spending £200m this summer isn’t a problem for me. Spending huge amounts to improve isn’t what any club wants to do - I’m sure we’d all prefer our teams to be full of local talent and lifelong fans - but the reality is you have to. It’s your lot who seem to have a bee in your bonnets about transfer fees, so it’s good to see you finally accepting the reality.
Not defending us but we had 3 years of mostly failed transfers under Moyes and LVG (both managers I'm sure City fans wouldn't want). I'll advocate spending 300 as long as we get 100 back from sales. The state of our squad is such that we need to ship out at least 6 and replace them with 6. Even if we do this we'd still be in a position to give youth a chance.

Who do you see City signing this year?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Not defending us but we had 3 years of mostly failed transfers under Moyes and LVG (both managers I'm sure City fans wouldn't want). I'll advocate spending 300 as long as we get 100 back from sales. The state of our squad is such that we need to ship out at least 6 and replace them with 6. Even if we do this we'd still be in a position to give youth a chance.

Who do you see City signing this year?
Honestly? Two players. A defensive midfielder who’s better on the ball than Fernandinho when under pressure, and maybe a forward. Jorginho and Mahrez maybe?

kidbob

Exactly. It’s a shame United’s fans couldn’t see this side of the argument when we were spending over the top to catch up!
I personally never had a problem with your spending just that it came from an outside force. To be honest if it's anything like having a strong Chelsea did for us it'll push us on to be even better.

Side note:

I'd have loved to see Fergie and Pep in the League battling it out too (with SAF having our current budget). I like Pep but when he beat Fergie he had the best team ever and we had lost Ronaldo and others were getting older. It'd been great to see Pep's City against a Fergie United over 38 games. Could have been a sick title race.

El-Manos

Sandro and Alderweireld would transform our back 4. Ideally we'd bring in a young right back as well but I don't see that happening this summer. In a perfect scenario, we bring in at least one more central midfielder along with a right winger, although I have an awful feeling Jose has no interest in signing a RW. I think Jose looking to sign 6 players is a bit of a fantasy, it will probably be 3, 4 if we're lucky.

My guess is we'll end up singing a left back, centre back and central midfielder and that will be that. Probably that Savic guy from Lazio.

kidbob

Honestly? Two players. A defensive midfielder who’s better on the ball than Fernandinho when under pressure, and maybe a forward. Jorginho and Mahrez maybe?
Seems about right. Give Stones a chance to develop along with Laporte. Mendy surely back. Would a Mahrez not be overkill with Bernardo there? I would have thought an Aguero replacement was more vital, as Jesus needs more time to develop.

For you if Gundogan can stay fit is he the eventual David Silva replacement?

Javi Martinez for the DM role? He's fantastic and could be tempted.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Got to say, I think the posts declaring it futile "signing player X given out current system" are pretty daft.

Our current "system" is a manifestation of the players playing in it.

If you bring in a top quality play maker in CM, the quality of our play will increase a level or two. Matic will be able to sit deeper and support the defence more which in turn will allow us to sit a little deeper and invite teams out of their own half. Pogba will have the freedom to roam and focus on creating and the attackers will have more space to break into.

If you upgrade our fullbacks, the attackers will receive better support and the opposition defence will be stretched and space will appear.

If you bring in a proper winger we'll have another dimension to our game, someone for Lukaku to feed off and more chances will drop to our other attackers.

The idea that we'll upgrade our first XI with higher quality and more capable players and then Mourinho will still insist that they'll play the same tumescent stuff the guys they are replacing played is beyond stupid and completely blinded by the myth that none of Mourinho's teams played attractive attacking football.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Seems about right. Give Stones a chance to develop along with Laporte. Mendy surely back. Would a Mahrez not be overkill with Bernardo there? I would have thought an Aguero replacement was more vital, as Jesus needs more time to develop.

Javi Martinez for the DM role? He's fantastic and could be tempted.
No chance for Gundogan to replace Silva. He’s neat and tidy but is much better sat deep where he doesn’t have to make decisions. He’s terribly indecisive when it comes to making that final pass on the edge of the box - something Silva’s always excelled at.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's half a team. We won't sign half a team no matter how big the club budget will be
That's exactly my way of thinking.
I think 4 players is what we should expect.
Last season, Jose wanted 4 and got 3.

Andersons Dietician

I’d imagine that is what Bernardo was bought for in the long run.
He has all the qualities, hard working, puts his foot in. Previous season he had I think the highest tackle rate of forward players in Europe I’m sure I saw.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Looks like Alex Sandro is a goer and he’s not been picked for the Brazil World Cup squad so his signing is easy with no World Cup distractions, Meunier will NOT be leaving PSG as Dani Alves has done his cruciates and out til the end of the year so may not even return the same as seen with Zlatan.

I like Odriozola at Sociedad if we’re goung to buy a right back although I’d happily stay with Valencia and Young for a season then promote Laird and/or O’Connor with a new right back signed whilst Valencia and Young left, only see a centre back coming in if we sell a couple as we’re well stocked even though it’s quantity over quality what we have currently so Alderweireld or De Ligt IF we sign one.

Carrick has retired and Fellaini hopefully off so a quality playmaker/conductor in Carrick’s mould is what’s needed in my opinion (Thiago, Kroos, Verratti) and Fellaini would be replaced with a combination of McTominay, Fosu-Mensah and Pereira which added to Pogba, Herrera, Matic and a new playmaker is a great balance.

I think unfortunately it’s nailed on that Martial will leave but the new forward needs to be right sided (Bale, Mahrez, Douglas Costa, Malcolm) as Sanchez and Rashford cover the left already as does Lingard if needed and also Gomes if we’re looking at promoting from within.

So I’m hoping,

Odriozola
Alderweireld/De Ligt
Alex Sandro
Kroos/Thiago/Verratti
Bale/Mahrez
In order to address other areas of need, I think counting on Valencia and Young this year on the right would suffice. I actually think Young could excel at RB considering how good of a crosser he can be from the right side. IMO we need two CMs. I would be hype as hell if we landed any of the three you're suggesting, but I seriously doubt they come to fruition.

Reactions: Sultan

shayanr

We've been linked with Napoli's right back, Elseid Hysaj. Rumors are transfer will cost 44 million pounds. Dont really know much about him except from FM. Great potential. Seems like the guy likes to attack from videos on youtube. Anyone who regularly watches Napoli has a better idea on the player?

Last edited by a moderator:

kidbob

No chance for Gundogan to replace Silva. He’s neat and tidy but is much better sat deep where he doesn’t have to make decisions. He’s terribly indecisive when it comes to making that final pass on the edge of the box - something Silva’s always excelled at.
Would that not mean that Gundogan is the natural Ferd replacement? Honestly from the outside looking in I'd say: give Stones another year while playing Laporte and Otamendi. Full backs with Mendy back pick themselves. Maybe grab Javi Martinez for the Ferd role and use Gundogan as a De Brunye sub. Get a top class striker and let go of Aguero (might not be popular with you but he does get injuries a lot) and allow Jesus to keep developing with the pressure off. Promote Foden as the back up to Sane.

Maybe you need another CB but honestly your squad is at a great level, that's why we need so many signings. Hopefully we can put it up to you guys next year, for me it was actually our performances against sides we were expected to beat that killed us off.

Overall get a couple of players to add to the squad but don't buy anyone who will break up a team that steamrolled the League and IMO were quite unlucky/naive against Liverpool in the CL (this happened to us under Fergie in the early years and will come with time).

PS: I'm too lazy to keep trying to spell Fernandihno (hope this is right!).

For United: you guys have been fortunate in certain players reaching a good level. The likes of Janujaz, Depay and Shaw had that top level talent but for varying reasons they never made it. Martial (who I hope stays) and Rashford still have to show it consistently.

In terms of City and United,I don't see a massive gap in quality (although you shade it overall), but I feel the biggest thing that defines our next year is Jose finding an attacking coach that can 'free up' our attacking players and allow them to play to their potential.

I still fancy you guys to finally defend your title but next year should be very interesting, especially with you'd assume a better Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and particularly Chelsea.

kidbob

I’d imagine that is what Bernardo was bought for in the long run.
He has all the qualities, hard working, puts his foot in. Previous season he had I think the highest tackle rate of forward players in Europe I’m sure I saw.
Yeah he definitely has that ability. I have always felt he was wasted on the wing and would be better in the 'Iniesta' role of a 433.

Bestietom

Sandro for LB

Elseid Hysaj’s for RB.

Alderweireld for CB .

Savic and Fred for Midfield

Pulisic for RW.

Then we will compete with anyone.

Fer

Sandro for LB

Elseid Hysaj’s for RB.

Alderweireld for CB .

Savic and Fred for Midfield

Pulisic for RW.

Then we will compete with anyone.
I haven't seen Elseid Hysaj’s play. Is he better than Meunier, Pereira, etc?

I like Pulisic, but do you think he is the best right winger we can get?

TrueRed79

It's clear we need up to 6 new signings to even have a remote chance of winning the league. City have never defended any of the titles they have won before, so history opens the door in that respect. We need 4 world class players to come straight into the starting 11. The other two could be of "world class potential" but better than what we might sell. Going to be an interesting summer.

Nickosaur

"It's a world cup year"

Is there really much inflation on transfers during a world cup year? Why? I see it mentioned all the time.

soad

I'd love to see Mahrez playing for us. I'm sure he's going to be an absolute beast playing for a big club. We desperately need a right winger and he's my first choice. However, I'm not that sure Jose has any interest in signing him.

Craig Ward

I can see the need for 6, but think we have loan players who are able to fill the gaps rather than new signings.

We need

LB
RB
CB
CM
CM
RW

I do believe the CB is more a luxury then a necessary, but i'll go with it seeing as the thread is for 6.

So - we have no youth/loan option for LB or RB. So that's 2 transfers incoming.
CM&CM - We are desperate here. But, Mctominey has proven to be useful and we have Periera returning. I would utilize both around the squad next season and as we have the need to rest Matic more and Carrick/Fellaini departing, I see the need for 1 CM signing.
RW - We simply have no RW. depending on the formation Jose has tried a few out there, but for seasons now we've had no one there. Transfer incoming required.

Outs:
Shaw/Darmian/Blind/Rojo/Jones/Carrick/Fellaini/Mata

In (needed):
Rose/Jorginho/Bale
In (If we sell 3 CB's)
Toby

I'd happily keep Shaw and not sign Rose - But its clear that's not gunna happen for Jose. So we're making work for ourselves there by not using what we have for me

Think the emphasis is on FB;s, that would make such a difference to our balance and play. We cannot win the league with Ashley Young as 1st choice LB. Especially when we have a LB who Jose jus does not rate.
Some better quality in CM would also help Matic/Pogba/Herrera.

We need to use the loan guys - Tuanzebe, TFM and Periera absolutely need to feature this season. Will limit the amount of crazy spending and allow us to go big on areas that really need it, such as FB's and 1 CM.

pascell

I haven't seen Elseid Hysaj’s play. Is he better than Meunier, Pereira, etc?

I like Pulisic, but do you think he is the best right winger we can get?
If we want to be explosive on the counter, I'd look at Leon Bailey. I'd be very happy with signing Willian and looks like that'll happen, we'll end up paying £40m+ and Chelsea will probably replace him with Bailey.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Ghoulam/sandro for lb
  • Hysaj/Cedric for rb
  • Milinkovic-Savic and/or Fred in midfield
  • Alderweireld ar CB
They seem to be the most talked about. Would be probably around ~120m for the 3 defenders, then ~120m for the 2 mids. £200-250m total depending on who we sign from this list I'd guess. Partially funded through Blind, Darmian, Pereira, Rojo, Shaw (could easily get at least £60m for this group, plus with others leaving on free like Carrick and Fellaini freeing up room). Then with Martial out, we'll probably reinvest that same amount on a winger.

So would be around 300m spent and ~120m incoming. 5-6 players in, 7-8 players out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
11:22
Mourinho 'still undecided on Matteo Darmian sale'
Last month Mourinho claimed Darmian is part of his plans for next season despite there being intense speculation he’ll leave the club this summer.

Rumours claim he’s close to agreeing a deal with Juventus but Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport claim Mourinho still hasn’t decided whether to sell him or not.

If he needs any influence the fans views on Darmian are pretty clear.

Sterling Archer

Absolutely no way we will be selling Young. He has filled in at Left Back very consistently and nailed the starting spot down over Blind, Darmian, and Shaw. Young will stay and provide a very decent cover option for whomever we do sign.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Absolutely no way we will be selling Young. He has filled in at Left Back very consistently and nailed the starting spot down over Blind, Darmian, and Shaw. Young will stay and provide a very decent cover option for whomever we do sign.
I don't think he will either, he can play LB and RB so can cover both positions. Also I think he likes his character.

Andersons Dietician

If we want to be explosive on the counter, I'd look at Leon Bailey. I'd be very happy with signing Willian and looks like that'll happen, we'll end up paying £40m+ and Chelsea will probably replace him with Bailey.
Hasn’t Bailey mostly been playing on the left? Can’t say I’ve watched him lots just everytime I do he seems to be on the left. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a game where he has been on the right although I’m sure there are probably a few.

Alabaster Codify7

I can only imagine Jose is talking up Darmian's potential staying at OT to try and get a bit more cash out of Juve.

If he isn't, I have absolutely no idea what the man is doing...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Milinkovic-Savic
Jorginho/Fred
Alex Sandro/Kieran Tierney
Alderweireld
Willian
No idea on the right back.

This is all based on hype, I have seen none bar Alder & Willian play :lol:

Hojoon

Very hard to see us signing 6 players unless at least a couple of them are cheap young players who haven't proved much. I'd say the three positions we need the most are right winger, CM, and a LB and it's a good sign we're being linked to players who play there.

AndyJ1985

11:22
Mourinho 'still undecided on Matteo Darmian sale'
Last month Mourinho claimed Darmian is part of his plans for next season despite there being intense speculation he’ll leave the club this summer.

Rumours claim he’s close to agreeing a deal with Juventus but Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport claim Mourinho still hasn’t decided whether to sell him or not.

If he needs any influence the fans views on Darmian are pretty clear.
Undecided my arse. Jose will know exactly who he wants to get rid of.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Given any player we are likely to pursue will be 50 mill the most I can see is spending is a net 150 mill. That’s 3 players or 4 if we shift a couple

pascell

Hasn’t Bailey mostly been playing on the left? Can’t say I’ve watched him lots just everytime I do he seems to be on the left. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a game where he has been on the right although I’m sure there are probably a few.
Yeah but I can see him being great on the right cutting in on his left foot.

ti vu

"It's a world cup year"

Is there really much inflation on transfers during a world cup year? Why? I see it mentioned all the time.
Because there is less time to complete deals, and clubs hold on to their players in hope they get some more money if their players play well in WC. Ideally everyone want to complete transfer soon so they can plan for pre season and all. So you either go ahead and cough up the asking price soon or posturing until deadline day and still cough up same fee or higher if more interest form other clubs come in. it's a chaotic situation (economy hence inflation) which less ideal to shop in (you can still get good deals sometimes mind). Too much demand and not enough supply caused by circumstances

Last edited:

Rauður Djöfull

How about this

LB: Alex Sandro or Tierny/Sessegnon
CB: Umtiti or Alderweireld
RB: Meunier or Caglar Söyüncü
CM: Ruben Neves
CM: SMS
RM: Mahrez

Would love to see this starting lineup next year:
GK: De Gea
LB: Alex Sandro
CB: Umtiti - Bailly
RB: Meunier
CM: Matic - SMS - Pogba
RM: Mahrez
LM: Sanchez
ST: Lukaku

Should make a decent team right?

Reactions: Sultan

GwilDor

Honestly think we'll be getting 3, or at most 4 players this window (not counting u18's)
1CM, 1LB, 1RW and maybe a joker depending on outgoings.
CM: Dier
LB: Perisic (to be utilised as WB) or maybe Alex Sandro
RW: Willian

4th buy becomes more likely if Martial leaves. Could it be Kluivert to give better cover for Lukaku?

Status
Not open for further replies.