José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Good to see a positive post match press conference. As I said, I don't care about the Liverpool or this result, it's nice to see him praising the players and not moaning.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Probably something close but still not quite managing how negative you are
Spot on, dreadful poster.
Today alone has spewed bile re mourinho criticised shaw, called smalling bambi and moaned about everything else- why bother watching or is sport just a vehicle for venting
I just have the stomach to stand up for what I believe in. Blind faith and support of the manager isn't necessarily a sensible or commendable trait. Yes I am heavily critical of Mourinho. I've supported United for nearly 40 years, through good times and bad, and I think I've earned the right to speak up when I feel the club has strayed a million miles away from what made it great.

And oh noes....I called Smalling "Bambi"...because he's rubbish with the ball, because, you know...he really is. Solid defender, poor footballer. This place is so partisan.

Under Jose we are playing the most negative football I have ever seen at the club. This cannot be spoken about enough. Unless there is a radical change in direction, you will not convince me that he will ever be the right man for Manchester United. We also have to contend with the ridiculous things he says in his press conferences, and his very worrying relationship with his players, both historically and currently.

There's a reason I love this club, and it means more to me than most people around me will ever realise. It's the only real connection I ever had to my late father, and it's been with me through every trial and tribulation in my life. I was always proud of this club, the people who represented it, the highs and the lows it brought me. This is the first time in my life I feel disconnected from it, and disappointed in it. And I feel like something has been taken from me. A huge part of my life. In a stressful world, in which I endlessly work, watching United was my number one, private escape from the world. That unbridled joy that gave me respite from the endless demands of the corporate world.

But now....this? It's a drudgery. It's depressing. This isn't a reaction to a few preseason games, this is a reaction to two years of awful, awful, joyless football. Football that is the antithesis of the way I believe the game should be played. Unimaginative, uninspiring, reductive, and cowardly. It isn't the club I fell in love with, and it isn't the club that I've been proud of all my life.

Ferguson expounded extensively in his last autobiography about the responsibility the manager has to entertain the fans, you know....the people who pay the wages of everyone associated with the club. He was the consummate custodian of the precious treasure that is the hopes and dreams of the fans, and he always set the club up for its greater glory, rather than the glory of himself. Mourinho is the diametric opposite of this. He caresnot a jot for the long term success of this club, he cares only for his own short term gain and ambition, and will attempt to achieve it at whatever cost. He has a scorched earth policy, and has left a toxic legacy at every club he has been at. This is a man that is a million miles away from the perky individual that showed up at Chelsea in the early 2000s.

Yes, I am upset. Yes, I have a lot to say on the subject, and a lot of it isn't nice. I am sorry if you don't agree. I guess you'll just have to deal with it, or put me on ignore.

Last edited:

SER19

I just have the stomach to stand up for what I believe in. Blind faith and support of the manager isn't necessarily a sensible or commendable trait. Yes I am heavily critical of Mourinho. I've supported United for nearly 40 years, through good times and bad, and I think I've earned the right to speak up when I feel the club has strayed a million miles away from what made it great.

And oh noes....I called Smalling "Bambi"...because he's rubbish with the ball, because, you know...he really is. Solid defender, poor footballer. This place is so partisan.

Under Jose we are playing the most negative football I have ever seen at the club. This cannot be spoken about enough. Unless there is a radical change in direction, you will not convince me that he will ever be the right man for Manchester United. We also have to contend with the ridiculous things he says in his press conferences, and his very worrying relationship with his players, both historically and currently.

There's a reason I love this club, and it means more to me than most people around me will ever realise. It's the only real connection I ever had to my late father, and it's been with me through every trial and tribulation in my life. I was always proud of this club, the people who represented it, the highs and the lows it brought me. This is the first time in my life I feel disconnected from it, and disappointed in it. And I feel like something has been taken from me. A huge part of my life. In a stressful world, in which I endlessly work, watching United was my number one, private escape from the world. That unbridled joy that gave me respite from the endless demands of the corporate world.

But now....this? It's a drudgery. It's depressing. This isn't a reaction to a few preseason games, this is a reaction to two years of awful, awful, joyless football. Football that is the antithesis of the way I believe the game should be played. Unimaginative, uninspiring, reductive, and cowardly. It isn't the club I fell in love with, and it isn't the club that I've been proud of all my life.

Ferguson expounded extensively in his last autobiography about the responsibility the manager has to entertain the fans, you know....the people who pay the wages of everyone associated with the club. He was the consummate custodian of the precious treasure that is the hopes and dreams of the fans, and he always set the club up for its greater glory, rather than the glory of himself. Mourinho is the diametric opposite of this. He caresnot a jot for the long term success of this club, he cares only for his own short term gain and ambition, and will attempt to achieve it at whatever cost. He has a scorched earth policy, and has left a toxic legacy at every club he has been at. This is a man that is a million miles away from the perky individual that showed up at Chelsea in the early 2000s.

Yes, I am upset. Yes, I have a lot to say on the subject, and a lot of it isn't nice. I am sorry if you don't agree. I guess you'll just have to deal with it, or put me on ignore.
I didnt mean to seem personal and your passion is nice to see. Posters who don't lambast at every turn and moan all the time aren't showing blind faith. Mourinho has failings for sure and the football better improve this year but i try to enjoy something about it. Its absolutely miserable here truly depressing to read almost every thread about our favourite team.

We actually have a good squad, rivals with more questions than we do. Lets at least pretend to give the team and manager support and a chance in advance of a new season. What if we blitz leicester 4-0 then go on a good run. Is everybody happy super fans again? Theres a self righteousness with the moaning thats hard to stomach.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I didnt mean to seem personal and your passion is nice to see. Posters who don't lambast at every turn and moan all the time aren't showing blind faith. Mourinho has failings for sure and the football better improve this year but i try to enjoy something about it. Its absolutely miserable here truly depressing to read almost every thread about our favourite team.

We actually have a good squad, rivals with more questions than we do. Lets at least pretend to give the team and manager support and a chance in advance of a new season. What if we blitz leicester 4-0 then go on a good run. Is everybody happy super fans again? Theres a self righteousness with the moaning thats hard to stomach.
Thanks for your response. I certainly don't mean to seem self righteous with the moaning. It's actually against character. I've always tried to be measured when things were going against us. Something turned in me last season though, and I've found it hard to stay positive. I think because I'm just angry. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I give Jose a fair shake of the stick anymore. He's so turned me against him, that I'm instantly defensive about anything he says or does. Almost too primed to be outraged.

I'll be there, first day of the season cheering the team on. Hoping for the best - because the hope never dies - and praying that we are going to have a great season. But that hope belies a crushing belief that this is going to be a miserable season. I'm frankly more worried that due to all the injuries, and absences, that we have a few bad results at the start of the season, and the wheels completely come off the bus; leaving us managerless a couple of months into the campaign. :lol: fecking bleak I know.

Let's hope not eh? I get excited when I think about a Pogba, Matic, Fred midfield....so that's something to cling on to :)

SER19

Thanks for your response. I certainly don't mean to seem self righteous with the moaning. It's actually against character. I've always tried to be measured when things were going against us. Something turned in me last season though, and I've found it hard to stay positive. I think because I'm just angry. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I give Jose a fair shake of the stick anymore. He's so turned me against him, that I'm instantly defensive about anything he says or does. Almost too primed to be outraged.

I'll be there, first day of the season cheering the team on. Hoping for the best - because the hope never dies - and praying that we are going to have a great season. But that hope belies a crushing belief that this is going to be a miserable season. I'm frankly more worried that due to all the injuries, and absences, that we have a few bad results at the start of the season, and the wheels completely come off the bus; leaving us managerless a couple of months into the campaign. :lol: fecking bleak I know.

Let's hope not eh? I get excited when I think about a Pogba, Matic, Fred midfield....so that's something to cling on to :)
For sure, hope next Friday you get a performance and we kick on from there. My own take is that of the 3 managers post Ferguson mourinho had the hardest job in that theres clearly an apathy set in. And fans thresholds have been shortened by so many false dawns. Im disappointed in mourinho because i would have thought that being underestimated and hamnered in the media will see him rally. I thought that night we saw him at the europa league final showing real passion was a platform but last season disappointed. I do think its make or break for him. If in may he was holding thr title i think it would be one of the most joyous ones ever

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
For sure, hope next Friday you get a performance and we kick on from there. My own take is that of the 3 managers post Ferguson mourinho had the hardest job in that theres clearly an apathy set in. And fans thresholds have been shortened by so many false dawns. Im disappointed in mourinho because i would have thought that being underestimated and hamnered in the media will see him rally. I thought that night we saw him at the europa league final showing real passion was a platform but last season disappointed. I do think its make or break for him. If in may he was holding thr title i think it would be one of the most joyous ones ever
You are not wrong. I was heavily in favour of his appointment. Indeed, he was the one I wanted most post Fergie. I'm not sure where it has all gone haywire for him. Maybe he is just jaded at this point. There's of course the possibility that it is all an act. This season will either be a platform for a great period for him at this club, or his last in charge of an elite level club. I think the stakes are just that high for him.

SER19

You are not wrong. I was heavily in favour of his appointment. Indeed, he was the one I wanted most post Fergie. I'm not sure where it has all gone haywire for him. Maybe he is just jaded at this point. There's of course the possibility that it is all an act. This season will either be a platform for a great period for him at this club, or his last in charge of an elite level club. I think the stakes are just that high for him.
Like you said before the start is the key this season much like 06/07. I love when were underrated and hope the players do too

meamth

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...exaggerated-for-media-claims-clinton-morrison

Is this article been posted? If so, apologies.

"As Lee Grant said, and I know Granty, he would be telling the truth, it looks like from the outside it is not a happy camp but from the inside it might be a very happy camp.
"He's been very frustrated, Jose Mourinho. Over the last few years, it has gotten worse and worse. He looks like he hardly wants to speak to the media."

I tend to agree. Instead of Mourinho vs the board, it is more logical to say it's Mourinho vs the media. We have a good squad capable to achieve things and I believe that this season our luck will be better.

maniwin

Jose Mourinho actually has good man-management , he praise player when they won, he talked ridiculous stuff when they lost so everyone hating him instead of the player , while saying the opposite stuff in dressing room. He will only attack player publicy if he cares about them / know how good / how talented they can be if they put effort, he never attack player he doesn't care. Drogba Lampard, Eto'o , Essien , Zlatan, Zanetti were all saying the same thing about him.

SER19

If mourinho left tomorrow he would leave us far better placed than i might have hoped for three years ago. Whether or not he will have achieved enough with the squad is a different discussion but from where we were with van gaal to now

Gk- de gea, romero, grant
Defenders- valencia, dalot, bailly, lindelof, smalling, jones, rojo, shaw, young
Midfield- pogba, matic, fred, herrera, pereira, fellaini, mctominay
Attackers- lukaku, sanchez, martial, rashford, mata, lingard

25 players there, thats a very good squad that seems a distance from schneiderlin, depay, schweinsteiger days. Its been a very strobg rebuild though still lacking a top class centre back and maybe a little balance. Should we upgrade a centre half its very very strong

All in all though, that squad should be enough to have no more excuses- this is a big year for jose. I think he should be applauded on building a strong squad in 2 years while keeping us in the champions league and improving our points and position.

But this is the defining season.

spiriticon

I've got an idea which might save everybody's skin. Can we hire a PR guy to do press interviews on Mourinho's behalf for the rest of the season? Does it have to be the manager doing these interviews?

Let him talk less and just get on with the job.

Brightonian

His interview after the Madrid game was great. For once, saying all the things I like to hear from a manager.

-Supportive of his players, their effort and their quality.
-Continues to point out that tour results are meaningless, especially when we've brought more third-stringers and U18s than senior players. Points out that Madrid are in the same boat.
-Also acknowledges what most would have suspected, that the formation was just an attempt to put out a vaguely sensible line-up, and not something he's planning to use in the season ahead.
-And for once avoids the media's drama-magnet, and dodges the Martial questions.

I don't think he's always as calculating as people make out. I reckon when he's grumpy he gives negative pressers and when he's cheerful he gives positive ones. And since he hates pre-season tours, and this one has been particularly disruptive and disrupted, he's been bitching about everything and anything. I don't read too much into it.

VJ1762

I am surprised to see a relatively positive outlook on our manager on f365 of all places. I mean he is not perfect, but the articles i have been reading over the past week from 'notable' guardian journalists like marina hyde and jacob steinberg hav been full of sarcasm and hate. Like, the club should embrace the mourinho 'circus', mourinho should learn from gareth fecking southgate on how to handle players. I mean before the world cup, nobody rated this man and this guy is a genius now after one semifinal run?

I know mentioning united means more clicks, but can't they atleast give some form of an objective opinion instead of giving us biased views fulll of hate? Jose mourinho is already a divisive figure in the fanbase, we don't need outside opinions to fuel the flames.

Conor

I am surprised to see a relatively positive outlook on our manager on f365 of all places. I mean he is not perfect, but the articles i have been reading over the past week from 'notable' guardian journalists like marina hyde and jacob steinberg hav been full of sarcasm and hate. Like, the club should embrace the mourinho 'circus', mourinho should learn from gareth fecking southgate on how to handle players. I mean before the world cup, nobody rated this man and this guy is a genius now after one semifinal run?

I know mentioning united means more clicks, but can't they atleast give some form of an objective opinion instead of giving us biased views fulll of hate? Jose mourinho is already a divisive figure in the fanbase, we don't need outside opinions to fuel the flames.
Yeah it has been a complete joke lately, I was very surprised(and happy) to see a different take in that article, at least some journalists still have a bit of sense. I'm not a Mourinho fanboy by any stretch, but the stuff being written about him recently is just ridiculous.

spiriticon

He is not 'wrong' in his recent comments, but those are the type of comments that never should be said in public, no matter how right he is. It's just professionalism.

Likewise, if Woodward came out and said 'I am extremely frustrated by the manager's defensive football and the lack of trophies last year, despite the finanical outlay on attacking players' he would not be 'wrong' either, but Ed is a little bit more professional than that.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Did you ever watch United under LVG? The football under him was 5 times worse than the football under Mourinho.
Certain matches under Mourinho have been very close to being as bad as LVG's last 6 months.

And, while I don't have the stats on hand, our lack of creating real chances must be almost as bad in some games.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Certain matches under Mourinho have been very close to being as bad as LVG's last 6 months.

And, while I don't have the stats on hand, our lack of creating real chances must be almost as bad in some games.
I never get bored watching United now, but under LVG I was very close to switching it off on numerous occasions. That has never happened before or after LVG was manager.

We still create more chances than we did back then and at least it is effective. We did come 2nd for the first time since SAF after all.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He said negative not more boring.
Negative football makes it boring. They are one and the same.

If anyone thinks we are more negative than under LVG then I suggest going back and rewatching matches under LVG.

We had many 0-0 games with no attacks all game, with constant passing of the ball at the back. No shots on target several times. There is nothing more negative than that.

Contano

https://www.football365.com/news/mourinho-may-be-miserable-but-is-he-wrong

May have been posted somewhere else. Joined the Caf a few months back and have to say find it quite negative in general. Obviously, also reflected in the national press and footie websites, especially football365.

Was amazed to find this tonight though. A very well thought out and written article. A breath of fresh air.

Don't believe the hype.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

If anyone thinks we are more negative than under LVG then I suggest going back and rewatching matches under LVG.

We had many 0-0 games with no attacks all game, with constant passing of the ball at the back. No shots on target several times. There is nothing more negative than that.
Either way, both styles of football are trash to watch

R'hllor

Nope.

True, we had, which makes them boring games but they werent negative, just boring as shit to watch. Under JM, games like vs Liverpool away, now that game wasnt boring but it was negative piece of shit from our part.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Nope.

True, we had, which makes them boring games but they werent negative, just boring as shit to watch. Under JM, games like vs Liverpool away, now that game wasnt boring but it was negative piece of shit from our part.
They were very negative, LVG instructed the players to never take risks and only shoot if the players were certain that they would score.

I am sure that LVG gave Herrera a bollocking when he scored because he was out of position.

Mourinho allows the players to take risks, hence Sanchez losing the ball a lot last season, due to taking risks.

I think you have a very short memory or a selective memory and just want to bash Mourinho, because LVG football was far more negative than under Mourinho.

R'hllor

They were very negative, LVG instructed the players to never take risks and only shoot if the players were certain that they would score.

I am sure that LVG gave Herrera a bollocking when he scored because he was out of position.

Mourinho allows the players to take risks, hence Sanchez losing the ball a lot last season, due to taking risks.

I think you have a very short memory or a selective memory and just want to bash Mourinho, because LVG football was far more negative than under Mourinho.
Now thats funny and half true.

But yea i just want to bash Mourinho, i live for it, without it, would slowly die out. Wont waste my time on someone who thinks that negative and boring is the same. LvG football was more boring then under JM, not negative. Take care.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Now thats funny and half true.

But yea i just want to bash Mourinho, i live for it, without it, would slowly die out. Wont waste my time on someone who thinks that negative and boring is the same. LvG football was more boring then under JM, not negative. Take care.
LVG football was more boring and more negative.

Under LVG we scored less goals, had less shots, got less points in both his seasons.

So please come on, tell me how it is more negative now, baring in mind the stats above. If we are more negative how have we scored more goals and got more points?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think LVG has reduced the bar for what people think good football is.
Our football under Mourinho is largely a sack of piss.
LVG being worse doesn't change that fact.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Think LVG has reduced the bar for what people think good football is.
Our football under Mourinho is largely a sack of piss.
LVG being worse doesn't change that fact.
Exactly. Look at how other big teams play. Even Liverpool play so well (I know you are going to point to the trophy cabinet). Chelsea and Utd were the only big teams last season who played dreadful football. I expect both Chelsea and Arsenal to improve this season.

We don't really have to talk about other big clubs like PSG, Bayern, Juve, the Spanish giaints. There's no comparison really.

It is difficult to enjoy our football no matter how hard I try. But i think playing good and trophies is a big ask these days.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Are people choosing to forget how we blew teams away at the beginning of last season? We have the potential for some good football.
I'm happy to choose and forget it, because the beginning of last season was a long time ago considering the type of football we played for since Christmas.

Also, lets not forget, some of them 'blowing away' performances at Swansea etc was in the last 10 minutes.
Mourinho's football is negative, even pre season, he plays negative.

It's what he wants from his sides. It's awful to watch. If I wasn't a United fan, I wouldn't even bother watching it

Unitedssss

He has been unlucky this season for sure, Smalling injured, Bailly hopefully okay for season opener, Matic undergone surgery, Luke Shaw injured too. He would be a frustrated man but the one thing that I do not like about him is he is always coming up with excuses. 'We don't get given enough money'(spent second most in prem since appointment) and then he criticises Martial because he's taken time off to be with the birth of his second child.

Instead of criticizing everyone(like with Luke Shaw last season) and creating an unrest within the dressing room why don't you work with what you've got and build a foundation.

I do like Mourinho, don't get me wrong, he's a tactical genius and knows what he's talking about. I'm just suggesting things for him to not become a good manager, but to become a legendary manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExoduS

The sooner this guy is out the better is for us. I just hate that guy. I don't get how he survived that classless press after loss to Sevilla in UCL. Something like "that's nothing new to happen to this team, I beat them with Real Madrid".
That guy is narcissistic piece of sh1t who does connect very well with some footballers and on the other hand he alienates true super stars to get more spotlight. I hope these latest rumors are true and that he is on his way out.

Trizy

The sooner this guy is out the better is for us. I just hate that guy. I don't get how he survived that classless press after loss to Sevilla in UCL. Something like "that's nothing new to happen to this team, I beat them with Real Madrid".
That guy is narcissistic piece of sh1t who does connect very well with some footballers and on the other hand he alienates true super stars to get more spotlight. I hope these latest rumors are true and that he is on his way out.
I think the trophies from his first season and 2nd place saved him. Even if things looked bleak at the end of the season we were always gonna be stuck with him this year due to no real candidates available.

I some how hope he turns it around but he won't. I'm awaiting the mid season meltdown that puts us back another 1-2 years while we start with a new manager = The (new) United Way.

Our squad is way too good to be as shit as we were attacking last season. We only a CB, RB, LB & RW away from having a fantastic squad capable of winning any trophy. And obviously a new manager..

Kag

Are people choosing to forget how we blew teams away at the beginning of last season? We have the potential for some good football.
We didn't blow them away. They were generally a bit of a struggle until the 70-80 minute mark where we'd score in a flurry as the opposing team tried to get back into the game. I remember making this point at the time, predicting that this would stop and usual (largely terrible) service would be resumed. Which happened.

The football during the second half of last season was, at times, just as bad as anything we watched under Van Gaal. And I could at least sympathise with the latter because his ambition was to control the game irrespective of opposition. It didn't work either, but there was a principle there that I could sort of buy into. With Mourinho we get neither.

Personally, I think the football has been dire since December of Mourinho's first season. I said this at the time, too, so it's not kneejerk based on a poor pre season.

It still remains the case that the best football we've played under Mourinho is the first couple of months of his first season. I vividly remember drawing 0-0 with Burnley and we absolutely battered them with chances created. Tom Heaton played played like a superhero in goal for them. We dropped points but the intent was great. Since, the football has been abysmal, whether you compare it with Van Gaal's reign or not.

redIndianDevil

LVG football was more boring and more negative.

Under LVG we scored less goals, had less shots, got less points in both his seasons.

So please come on, tell me how it is more negative now, baring in mind the stats above. If we are more negative how have we scored more goals and got more points?
Negative = not really trying to win and hoping for a draw as a best possible result, the draw is achieved by conceding possession and space(basically parking the bus).
Boring = endlessly trying to pass it into the net, the problem under LvG was, he wasn't a good coach, he wanted his teams to play one touch movement football but could not coach it and it resulted in slow laboured boring possession and the opposition happy to sit back for a point.

Hope you get the difference.

redIndianDevil

We didn't blow them away. They were generally a bit of a struggle until the 70-80 minute mark where we'd score in a flurry as the opposing team tried to get back into the game. I remember making this point at the time, predicting that this would stop and usual (largely terrible) service would be resumed. Which happened.

The football during the second half of last season was, at times, just as bad as anything we watched under Van Gaal. And I could at least sympathise with the latter because his ambition was to control the game irrespective of opposition. It didn't work either, but there was a principle there that I could sort of buy into. With Mourinho we get neither.

Personally, I think the football has been dire since December of Mourinho's first season. I said this at the time, too, so it's not kneejerk based on a poor pre season.

It still remains the case that the best football we've played under Mourinho is the first couple of months of his first season. I vividly remember drawing 0-0 with Burnley and we absolutely battered them with chances created. Tom Heaton played played like a superhero in goal for them. We dropped points but the intent was great. Since, the football has been abysmal, whether you compare it with Van Gaal's reign or not.
This. LvG was never afraid of the opposition and in big games we usually tried to control the game. Nowadays we are at the mercy of the opposition and praying to god our defenders dont feck up

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This. LvG was never afraid of the opposition and in big games we usually tried to control the game. Nowadays we are at the mercy of the opposition and praying to god our defenders dont feck up
Jose has a different approach to the game. Allowing the opposition to have the ball doesn't mean you're suddenly at their mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.