José Mourinho interview | transfer saving deals, digs at Conte+Wenger, needs another summer window

Steven7290

Can anyone "not" post the article here so we can actually read? :wenger:
Edit: never mind, registered an account on there.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve Do you agree with him?
No, first because that's not what we witnessed, you just have to look at Monaco's and Dortmund's late businesses. And secondly because that's not how it works, there isn't a direct correlation between two different players fees, the fee depends on who is bought, by whom , from whom and when.
Also Neymar's fee wasn't a market fee, it wasn't a negotiated fee, he wasn't on the market, it was a fixed price and that price was known by every actors on the market, that last point should beg a question why no one used it as a benchmark before? Why no one uses Ronaldo's or Benzema's known fixed price as benchmarks?

Now don't get me wrong, top clubs are increasing their revenues which means that in the future top players will go for a lot more than they used to, but that's just a consequence of the increased budgets.

AXVnee7

Good interview, I don't think he was having a dig at Fergie. It wouldn't be right to anyway since Fergie left a team that won the League by a considerable margin. Mourinho himself is a results man first and a League win is a League win, especially with the 11 point gap between us and second. Even then a million things have happened between Fergie retiring and Mourinho's appointment, and not to forget Jose seems to have nothing but the utmost respect for him so I really doubt he's having a dig at him.

It's almost definitely Wenger. If you look at the state of Arsenal now with so many players entering their final year of contracts, and ours - then our squad situation actually looks more favourable IMO.

The Bloody-Nine

Disagree. Fergies last team won because it was Fergie.
Any competent manager could have challenged for the league the following season with that team and some sensible additions.

Instead, we got f*cking Moyes who decided to replace an incredibly successful backroom team with a bunch of stiffs who had no experience of winning anything, pissed off most of the first team, annnnnnnnnnnnd bought Fellaini.

lsd

The Oracle
Any competent manager could have challenged for the league the following season with that team and some sensible additions.

Instead, we got f*cking Moyes who decided to replace an incredibly successful backroom team with a bunch of stiffs who had no experience of winning anything, pissed off most of the first team, annnnnnnnnnnnd bought Fellaini.

So Moyes did something right I bet Van Gaal and Jose are glad he signed Fellaini

InfiniteBoredom

No, first because that's not what we witnessed, you just have to look at Monaco's and Dortmund's late businesses. And secondly because that's not how it works, there isn't a direct correlation between two different players fees, the fee depends on who is bought, by whom , from whom and when.
Also Neymar's fee wasn't a market fee, it wasn't a negotiated fee, he wasn't on the market, it was a fixed price and that price was known by every actors on the market, that last point should beg a question why no one used it as a benchmark before? Why no one uses Ronaldo's or Benzema's known fixed price as benchmarks?

Now don't get me wrong, top clubs are increasing their revenues which means that in the future top players will go for a lot more than they used to, but that's just a consequence of the increased budgets.
Correct.

You always end up paying more if you leave it late to do business, but there's no reason to believe that the Neymar fee or any other big fee before drove the market. The market correlates with changes in the leagues' finances.

InfiniteBoredom

It was Woodward who did the negotiating. Moyes just did the scouting.
It's been reported by Ogden and the likes with good inside info at the time that Moyes insisted on a double deal with Baines+Fellaini as he didn't want bogbrush to be his first 'major' signing.

Ibi Dreams

It was Woodward who did the negotiating. Moyes just did the scouting.
The release clause expired, I believe. We could have got him at the release clause price, but Moyes waited too long chasing other targets.

OneUnited24

So Moyes did something right I bet Van Gaal and Jose are glad he signed Fellaini
Fellaini is a good player and an option im more most managers would love to use. Neither LvG or Jose have done what Moyes did and played him as a DMF. Moyes dropped some clangers like giving Rooney and Nani 5 year deals but continuing to play Fellaini at DMF after that first game vs City... Jeez

Back on topic, so happy Jose is our manager

Dante

Average bang
The release clause expired, I believe. We could have got him at the release clause price, but Moyes waited too long chasing other targets.
Woodward spent too long negotiating with Madrid and Barca for players they were never going to sell. Had he been more competent, we would have figured that out.

The Bloody-Nine

Woodward spent too long negotiating with Madrid and Barca for players they were never going to sell. Had he been more competent, we would have figured that out.
Or if Moyes had just said "pay the release clause for Fellaini now" it would have happened.

Dante

Average bang
Or if Moyes had just said "pay the release clause for Fellaini now" it would have happened.
Or, or, or...

Moyes cocked up plenty that season. He was awful. But so did Woodward. Don't be so blinded by hatred that you want to lay everything at one person's doorstep just because it makes it easier for you to digest what happened.

Spark

Unless it's been debunked, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conditional part of leaving Everton not to exploit the release clauses that Moyes was part of implenting. No-hire clauses are pretty standard in business, surely it must have played a part in the Fellaini/release clause debacle?

The Bloody-Nine

Or, or, or...

Moyes cocked up plenty that season. He was awful. But so did Woodward. Don't be so blinded by hatred that you want to lay everything at one person's doorstep just because it makes it easier for you to digest what happened.
We could have signed Fellaini by activating his release clause. We didn't. Instead, we signed Fellaini after his clause expired and paid over the odds for him. That you would lay that at the door of Woodward is simply staggering. Just how incompetent do you think the man is? You don't believe he possesses the mental capacity required in order to send an email to Everton saying "we want to activate Fellaini's release clause"?

The Bloody-Nine

Unless it's been debunked, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conditional part of leaving Everton not to exploit the release clauses that Moyes was part of implenting. No-hire clauses are pretty standard in business, surely it must have played a part in the Fellaini/release clause debacle?
The clause expired July 31st. We signed him on deadline day.

Cliche Guevara

Those digs are at Wenger and Klopp. Clearly.

I don't think Jose actually has a go at anyone who hasn't had a go at him first. I think he's also quite a popular figure amongst football managers etc

Dante

Average bang
We could have signed Fellaini by activating his release clause. We didn't. Instead, we signed Fellaini after his clause expired and paid over the odds for him. That you would lay that at the door of Woodward is simply staggering. Just how incompetent do you think the man is? You don't believe he possesses the mental capacity required in order to send an email to Everton saying "we want to activate Fellaini's release clause"?
Woodward was being led a merry dance by Fabregas whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Moyes could only make decisions based on what his Chief Executive was reporting to him. Had Woodward had the nous to realise he was being played early on, he could have switched target much earlier.

The Bloody-Nine

Woodward was being led a merry dance by Fabregas whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Moyes could only make decisions based on what his Chief Executive was reporting to him. Had Woodward had the nous to realise he was being played early on, he could have switched target much earlier.
I had no idea you were privy to the inner workings of the potential Fabregas deal.

OldTrevil

Fellaini is a good player and an option im more most managers would love to use. Neither LvG or Jose have done what Moyes did and played him as a DMF. Moyes dropped some clangers like giving Rooney and Nani 5 year deals but continuing to play Fellaini at DMF after that first game vs City... Jeez

Back on topic, so happy Jose is our manager
Another good thing actually but that he also fecked up by not playing him and managing him woefully :lol::mad:

I like that Mou again sticks up for his beautifully attacking sides and says his pragmatism that goes with the quality at his disposal. He shouldn't really as his title winning Chelsea and Real sides played some mouthwatering stuff but I guess stereotypes are really hard to let go by a follower bunch like journos.

GrandJury

Honestly I only see downsides to buying a player later in the transfer window.

Dante

Average bang
I had no idea you were privy to the inner workings of the potential Fabregas deal.
The story of that Summer has been reported and disclosed by numerous sources.

Here's Moyes revealing that Woodward was negotiating for Fabregas: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23448676

And here's Fabregas admitting he was never interested: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ve-never-thought-about-leaving-Barcelona.html

Moyes was terrible. But that doesn't mean everyone else is free from blame just because you want to make him the boogeyman.

The Bloody-Nine

The story of that Summer has been reported and disclosed by numerous sources.
Sorry to get all Rafa on you but I have stated facts. The release clause. When it expired. When we signed him. What we paid. I don't put a lot of weight in stories. Since that summer Woodward has completed a lot of deals. Broken our transfer record multiple times. Even broken the world transfer record. Signed world class players.

Dithering Dave has staggered from one incompetent horror show to the next. You're entitled to assign the blame for that shitshow whereever you like. Logically, pinning it on Woodward makes no sense, in my opinion.

Dante

Average bang
Sorry to get all Rafa on you but I have stated facts. The release clause. When it expired. When we signed him. What we paid. I don't put a lot of weight in stories. Since that summer Woodward has completed a lot of deals. Broken our transfer record multiple times. Even broken the world transfer record. Signed world class players.

Dithering Dave has staggered from one incompetent horror show to the next. You're entitled to assign the blame for that shitshow whereever you like. Logically, pinning it on Woodward makes no sense, in my opinion.
Here's Moyes revealing that Woodward was negotiating for Fabregas: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23448676

And here's Fabregas admitting he was never interested: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ve-never-thought-about-leaving-Barcelona.html

Moyes was terrible. But that doesn't mean everyone else is free from blame just because you want to make him the boogeyman. I can see that you're incapable of having a balanced opinion about people. You either love everything about them or hate everything about them.

The Bloody-Nine

Moyes was terrible. But that doesn't mean everyone else is free from blame just because you want to make him the boogeyman. I can see that you're incapable of having a balanced opinion about people. You either love everything about them or hate about them.
What an interesting observation to make based on a handful of posts on an internet message board. I can play that game, too. You are clearly a Moyes fanboy and incapable of seeing reason. See, easy. Incredibly lazy and extremely stupid, but easy.

BBC reporting that we were interested in signing Fellaini before his release clause expired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23710170

Dante

Average bang
What an interesting observation to make based on a handful of posts on an internet message board. I can play that game, too. You are clearly a Moyes fanboy and incapable of seeing reason. See, easy. Incredibly lazy and extremely stupid, but easy.

BBC reporting that we were interested in signing Fellaini before his release clause expired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23710170
Christ almighty, you're...

I've called Moyes 'terrible' and 'a cock up' in just the last few posts. I see both sides of the equation. You've not shown a shred of evidence you're capable of that.

We know how United managers come up with a list and let Woodward work his way down it. It's a MASSIVE leap in logic to blame the negotiation of a transfer deal on the someone who doesn't do the negotiating rather than the guy whose job it is to negotiate transfer deals.

That article had quotes saying we never made a bid, which disproves your point. Mine had quotes directly from the people involved, supporting my assertions.

You're having a 'mare here, mate. I'm going to stop embarrassing you because we're taking this thread off topic.

The Bloody-Nine

I've called Moyes 'terrible' and 'a cock up' in just the last few posts. I see both sides of the equation. You've not shown a shred of evidence you're capable of that.

We know how United managers come up with a list and let Woodward work his way down it. It's a MASSIVE leap in logic to blame the negotiation of a transfer deal on the someone who doesn't do the negotiating rather than the guy whose job it is to negotiate transfer deals.
No, we don't 'know' how United managers come up with a list and work their way down, for f*ck sake. We know how Mourinho comes up with a list and works his way down. Christ, and you accuse me of a leap in logic.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Fergie left the cupboard bare in my opinion After we lost Ronaldo the only top level player he bought was RVP.

The Bloody-Nine

That article had quotes saying we never made a bid, which disproves your point. Mine had quotes directly from the people involved, supporting my assertions.

You're having a 'mare here, mate. I'm going to stop embarrassing you because we're taking this thread off topic.
Nice edit. I didn't say the article stated that we made a bid. There's a clue here:

You're having a disaster here. Oof.

MuFc_1992

I'm pretty sure that Moyes admitted he didn't want Fellaini to be his first signing because he thought it would put too much pressure on Fellaini who he described as a quiet guy.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm pretty sure that Moyes admitted he didn't want Fellaini to be his first signing because he thought it would put too much pressure on Fellaini who he described as a quiet guy.
Yeah, he's said that a couple of times I think - once I believe in a tabloid article he wrote after Fellaini had had a couple of good games under LVG.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Hardly. Fergie left a team that had won the league at a canter.
Exactly, I don't know why people still keep saying this. It was Moyes 'incompetence and Woodward being new to his job role. Moyes should never have got rid of the staff that Sir Alex advised him to keep. Along with Moyes just being a bang average manager for us.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

You could be right, I'll think about it. Thanks.