Jose asking who Diego is | Smooth haired scouse beating United legend

TheReligion

Abusive
It's part of the clubs culture guys.

I appreciate some of you don't get it but rather than argue against it you should really try and understand, a bit like Jose does by asking and getting on with it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's part of the clubs culture guys.

I appreciate some of you don't get it but rather than argue against it you should really try and understand, a bit like Jose does by asking and getting on with it.
I don't argue against anything. I am only explaining Mou's POV

Rory 7

Well they were world beaters at their club.

That list was probably written by someone who barely ever watches the Serie A. Gazza as an icon? Seriously? No one in Italy likes that drunken fool.

The closest there is to Forlan/OShea type is Padalino. He's loved dearly by Juventus fans even though he's not a world beater. There again, these instances are somehow rare and Juventus fans tend to use plenty of sarcasm around him to highlight that they know that he wasn't a great player. In matter of fact he's known as il talismano (ie lucky charm) as some sort of banter towards somebody who won alot despite not being very good.
What's your issue with O'Shea? By all accounts he had a great career at United. I think you are missing the point of a cult hero.

Skills

Snitch
As said before, its a cultural clash. In my part of world, if people want to overrate others who work hard then they'll probably start supporting a sweat shop not a football club. Each for his own

I am not criticizing match going fans. I am only trying to make you understand why Mou think its silly to sing chants about some random player who failed at OT.
So why don't you just follow a continental club? You clearly don't get a massive part of the clubs culture/uniqueness?

TsuWave

You can understand his confusion. It's super weird and small time that we're still singing about Forlan.
its really not. feck me. fans are singing about a moment they enjoyed and its not like we aren't the club with the most titles in the league. piss taking is fun. lighten up

devilish

What's your issue with O'Shea? By all accounts he had a great career at United. I think you are missing the point of a cult hero.
I absolutely adore him. What a player he was.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Ironically, I think Forlan played his last game for United, as a substitute against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which was Mourinho's first game as Chelsea manager, when Chelsea won 1-0. The likes of Djemba-Djemba, Miller and O Shea all played in midfield that day.

devilish

So Southern European clubs don't have cult heroes like Forlan? I find that hard to believe.
I think I answered to that. We're going in circles here and I seem to hit a hornet's nest.

My aim was to highlight a cultural clash. In the continent there's tend to be little love towards players who failed at the club. That's all.

TheReligion

Abusive
I met Diego on a plane in Manchester. Sat next to him for a short time and got his autograph. Broken English but nice guy. He was flying back to Uruguay for an international match.

Rory 7

I think I answered to that. We're going in circles here and I seem to hit a hornet's nest.

My aim was to highlight a cultural clash. In the continent there's tend to be little love towards players who failed at the club. That's all.
It's a cultural clash that doesn't exist. You've already admited Padalino at Juve is a classic cult hero, in the mould of Forlan by the sounds of things. I'd say if we went through every club in Spain, Italy and Portugal we'd find similar figures. 'Joke' players and cult heroes are part of football fan culture. There was no need for the cheap shot in your OP. That is all from me.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off

That might be true. I don't think it's a positive thing though, at least not from my perspective. And you hear a lot of players and managers admiring the the football culture and the fans in England and this is a big part of it. Jose himself has said there's nothing like it anywhere else and he obviously prefers it to Spain. So, I'm not sure you're representing his POV, as you think you are.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
I met Diego on a plane in Manchester. Sat next to him for a short time and got his autograph. Broken English but nice guy. He was flying back to Uruguay for an international match.
I also met him.
What a top lad. Autographed a picture.
One of my kids got a Forlan shirt one year :)

devilish

It's a cultural clash that doesn't exist. You've already admited Padalino at Juve is a classic cult hero, in the mould old of Forlan by the sounds of things. I'd say if we went through every club in Spain, Italy and Portugal we'd find similar figures. 'Joke' players and cult heroes are part of football fan culture. There was no need for the cheap shot in your OP. That is all from me.
I've already answered to that and I already highlighted the differences

a- Padoin (my mistake in writing) wasn't a failure
b- There's alot of banter around him which clearly highlight the fact that he's liked merely because he was hardworking and that even they know he's not very good in playing football. That's something no one dares to do among the top reds with the likes of Phil or OShea. If you call Padoin a club legend then the Juventus fans would laugh at you.

The only player I can think off that United treat like il Talesmano is David May superstar.

Rory 7

I've already answered to that and I already highlighted the differences

a- Padoin (my mistake in writing) wasn't a failure
b- There's alot of banter around him which clearly highlight the fact that he's liked merely because he was hardworking and that even they know he's not very good in playing football. That's something no one dares to do among the top reds with the likes of Phil or OShea.

The only player I can think off that United treat like il Talesmano is David May superstar.
Sigh. O'Shea was much better than you give credit for. It's not about being a 'top red'.

BigBebe

Ironically, I think Forlan played his last game for United, as a substitute against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which was Mourinho's first game as Chelsea manager, when Chelsea won 1-0. The likes of Djemba-Djemba, Miller and O Shea all played in midfield that day.
I had forgotten about that game. Also notable for playing Roy Keane in central defence.

Man Utd: Howard, Silvestre, Gary Neville, Keane, Fortune, Miller, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Giggs, Scholes, Smith.
Subs: Ricardo, Phil Neville, Bellion, Richardson, Forlan.

What a team. What a bench. Jose must have thought that this premier league was going to be a doddle.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Devilish having a go at our match going supporters whilst probably never been to OT is my favorite thing on the Caf these days. This is not an one time occurrence only, bloke loves to have a moan at the fans whilst presenting himself as an Italian football expert.

Skills

Snitch
Devilish having a go at our match going supporters whilst probably never been to OT is my favorite thing on the Caf these days. This is not an one time occurrence only, bloke loves to a moan at the fans whilst presenting himself as an Italian football expert.
This :lol:

devilish

Devilish having a go at our match going supporters whilst probably never been to OT is my favorite thing on the Caf these days. This is not an one time occurrence only, bloke loves to have a moan at the fans whilst presenting himself as an Italian football expert.
a- I am not moaning at fans. I simply gave my opinion why Mou thought that chanting about Forlan was silly.
b- I visited OT quite regularly in the past especially since moving in the UK. I should visit more though but the city is not very nice visiting
c- I've been watching the Serie A since I was 4 years old

TheReligion

Abusive
a- I am not moaning at fans. I simply gave my opinion why Mou thought that chanting about Forlan was silly.
b- I visited OT quite regularly in the past especially since moving in the UK. I should visit more though but the city is a crap hole which is not worth visiting.
c- I've been watching the Serie A since I was 4 years old
The city is a crap hole?

Wind your neck in. That's home to alot of people. Show some respect.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
fecking hell, your head is where happiness goes to die.
:lol:

I can see why it would be confusing for Mourinho. He wouldn't necessarily instantly link a song about Diego with Forlan, but he looked quite content when Carrick explained. As for why Diego, why not? He made us happy and it's a nice, easy, happy song to sing. Which might seem unfair on players who delivered more for us, but there's no doubt that players with good songs are likely to feature higher in the playlist. It's not a valuation, it's just a bit of a laugh.

illReD

He failed with us. As mou said he didnt scored enough goals. We are talking of strikers here not factory workers. Forlan was bought to score goals not reach production levels
You're miserable aren't you? Perhaps we should stick to singing about players who score 40+ goals a season for us and everyone else is off limits? It's a club tradition, you're very much an individual in this case if you don't like it :)

Edit: I wish I didn't even bother replying after reading your other posts...

GazTheLegend

You can understand his confusion. It's super weird and small time that we're still singing about Forlan.
This might actually be the worst post I've ever read on this or any other football related forum, well done.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@devilish .. chilax man. United are famous for their love of cult figures.. it is part of what makes our club special. It is probably just an english thing in general..

Solksjaer.. for example wouldn't be remembered by Madrid fans, but we idolise him.

Chico Hernandez, would be a nobody at Bayern.. and we couldn't get enough of him.

It is small time, but it is what makes this club special and I wouldn't change it for the world. There is a humility to United or english football sometimes that is very endearing, and it enriches the game rather than takes something away from it.. so I don't see the big deal and the need to whine about it.