g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose has a dig at the crowd

dogwithabone

It's the chicken and egg situation across football, who gets who going ? Fans want something to hang on to and the players want a fervent atmosphere.

I'm not a season ticket holder so perhaps not best placed to give a view but it seems perhaps that the name 'Leicester' isn't a proper big game and that in times gone by it's just a matter of time before we breakthrough and there's maybe a sense among fans that a goal will come.

Fans, like players, raise themselves for the bigger games and while in reality Leicester is no easy game it remains on paper a game that perhaps fans see as 'just a matter of time' and don't feel the need to raise the noise level ?

Rajma

So now he's going to bully the crowd? :lol: This is going to be interesting. He's just like a conflict magnet.
I wasn't Jose's biggest fan before his arrival, however, his point is completely valid and I hope he takes it even further. When at the ground I also try to get the crowd going no matter the location. I get these weird looks around me when I try singing all on my own.

Also, bullying? Stop being such a sensitive and offensive act world has enough of these kind of people.

RonaldoVII

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good yesterday in the J stand. Had a more big game atmosphere feel about it. The acoustics at OT are shite though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A commentator on my telly said that Leicester fans are lauder then home fans during the game so I wasn't surprised when I heard that comment from Mourinho.
That's deceptive and a product of where the away fans sit vis a vis the commentary boxes.
It's not deceptive. Away fans at OT often make the most noise. The most consistent, anyway. In my experience, more often than not.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm centrally based in the North Stand. I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent compared to a lot of matches over the years. Definite improvement once the goal was scored.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Start treating people like supporters not customers and that's how they will behave.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just went through an article on SkySports. I haven't watched the post match conference, I suppose the comments were made during. Here are the quotes:

"I didn't see the first goal. I was speaking with Jesse Lingard because Lingard was going to be the next player to come on."
"I saw the ball in the net and all the guys jumping around. It was the first time I saw the crowd. They were very quiet."
"It was easy to know that was a goal because it was the first time I really understood the stadium was full."

I am not from Manchester, not from England and I've been to the stadium once. Yes, I have my volume on tv higher than usual when I watch the game, but it is hard to tell how's the atmosphere. However I heard a couple of times chants dying out - like the Zlatan chant, which I don't even get why were people chanting, when he probably wasn't even in the stands.

I would like to hear what those, who've been on the stadium, think.
The volume doesn't have to matter. The TV station gets the atmosphere on one channel, commentator on another and then if they have their own commentator it's on its separate channel as well. Each station adjust their own volume for the atmosphere.

There are standards for levels but people frequently make mistakes so it's not that uncommon that the atmosphere is lower on TV than in the stadium. Then there's also the difference between stadiums and how well sound gets picked up. Away fans for example have a highly concentrated pack of singers compared to home fans and will definitely have mics well placed towards them which helps a bit.

That being said it feels like Mourinho has a point because I didn't notice the fans much from about 15 minutes til the goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Certainly when watching on TV OT seemed very quiet, as is still the norm OT waits in expectation for the team to turn sides over and give them something to make noise about rather than the opposite

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I've been to a load of matches over the years in vaious parts of the stadium but never the Stretty unfortunately. But very few in the last 6 or so unfortunately....and the atmosphere at Old Trafford could always be a bit hit/miss but my last match which happened to be against Swansea at Old Trafford in April (not a great match and understandable) the crowd was dead and the worst I've seen in any football grond....you could hear every groan or tut when a player lost the ball, which can't help with players confidences.

A few times I tried to start chants which I've usually had a hit/miss success rate with but nobody was joining in, instead I got looks of disdain from a guy next to me, probably because I was ruining the audio of his recording, he literally spent the entire match watching it through the screen on his camera.

I tried a Rooney chant after his peanalty, a follow follow, United are going to Stockholm, and then a you only came to see United when Swansea were outsinging us, and not one person joined in....One guy behind me said fair play to you but I would have rather he tried to get involved and support the team.

I think our fans are the best in English football but by and large for smaller games like this, I'm off the believe that it is plastic supporters and the tourists fill out the ground on these days.
Don't worry about it mate we out-sing everyone joking!
Fair play for trying to get the crowd going, there's nothing worse than trying to get a song or chant going and no one around you joining in.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It's Bound to happen when there's loads of tourist fans they go for the experience not atmosphere.

It's Complete opposite to Our away support, which is easily one of the best in the country.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I thought it was alright to be honest; not great, not poor.

Bit harsh dismissing 75k paying supporters that are paying his wages but I like Jose so I'll let him off. Probably doing it for a reaction as well like others are saying.

Minimalist

Don't have a detailed opinion on the matter but I don't understand why some are annoyed about people around them sitting down. I'm actually quite confused reading that from a few people.

I've been to plenty of stadiums with people sitting for 95% of the match and the noise still took the roof off. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Also not sure why the 'noise' has to be singing either.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's not deceptive. Away fans at OT often make the most noise. The most consistent, anyway. In my experience, more often than not.
From where I was sitting, I heard a few 'come on Leicester's' that were quickly drowned out by J stand shouting 'f-k off Leicester.'

As I said, maybe its the acoustics, but I didn't think the atmosphere was bad and I don't think the home fans were out sung. St Etienne (H) last season it wasn't.

I'm centrally based in the North Stand. I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent compared to a lot of matches over the years. Definite improvement once the goal was scored.
That was much closer to my experience. Personally, I felt it was at its best in that period of the first half when Mata had his offside chance and Pogba slid one wide. However, there was a little lull in the second half. I think people started worrying it was gonna be another draw.

That being said, after Lukaku missed the penalty I heard a lot of 'Rom, Rom, Romelu, Romelu Lukaku,' and after the goals the pressure was uncorked.

Considering 'Something good' and 'Mourinho's red army' were sung lots yesterday, I think Mou's been a bit harsh.

RedCurry

Make it gimmicky like the North American sports- play obnoxious songs in the middle of the game, have a kiss cam, throw away some training t-shirts, trivia etc. it's about time soccer adapts. Sorry!

parkthebuslads

I'm not sure why he's bothering. This isn't new. You're not going to get the same noise from a family of 5 watching their first match as you do from a group of scousers watching Everton for the tenth time.

Perhaps opening up more seats to a turnstile system would help.

Jaybomb

Our away fans are the best in the country.

But I agree with him about Old Trafford. We need to make it hell for our opponents.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's right that your fans aren't good enough at home, just like most other Premier League stadiums. Not having very loud singing isn't even that bad but a crowd that big needs to put pressure on the ref and give the team confidence.

Make it gimmicky like the North American sports- play obnoxious songs in the middle of the game, have a kiss cam, throw away some training t-shirts, trivia etc. it's about time soccer adapts. Sorry!
I know this was a jokey comment but since you're from Toronto I have to say some MLS atmospheres are really quality. Pretty much all 45K people stood up for all of Atlanta's home games at Bobby Dodd. It was a pretty incredible experience

RedCurry

I know this was a jokey comment but since you're from Toronto I have to say some MLS atmospheres are really quality. Pretty much all 45K people stood up for all of Atlanta's home games at Bobby Dodd. It was a pretty incredible experience
There are many of those insane 1000 odd crazy supporters some shirtless, in below freezing temperatures. Singing non-stop.

It feels strange because TFC is probably our least followed team in the city behind jays, leafs, raptors and Argos.

Also, you're right, we never sit down for the entire game. You won't be able to see anything sitting down.

red_devil83

I think he's preaching to the choir mostly. People who want to sing, will already be singing. People who don't, won't

Needham

Bit early on for Jose to be digging out the fans. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe trophies are the currency you get to spend on criticizing the soul of the club.

UDontMessWith24

Breaking news: Professional sports team with a monstrous global brand has rich people sitting in the first few rows. I'm in shock and do not know what to make of this.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

A safe-standing section would be great to introduce at Old Trafford. Lower the prices a bit for that section so that youngsters will be more encouraged to go to Old Trafford.

Haven't the club already been talking about looking in to safe-standing though? Did it just die out or what.

Kidders

Our away fans are the best in the country.

But I agree with him about Old Trafford. We need to make it hell for our opponents.
Our away support is second to none, the Club know who these tickets are sold to so why don't they canvas their opinion on how best to generate the same atmosphere at OT.
Surely the obvious is to sit them together (Stretford End ?) introduce safe standing, and create a 'social area' within the concourse, I know it won't happen but huge banners and FLARES going off (St Etienne) also gets the crowd excited.

minoo-utd

We need new ideas. A mic? lots of flags? A singing section like the away fans and ultras fans like some other clubs? And marketing to drive the fans not stop supporting, a large screen outside the stadium, banners, Ads from the players telling people to stay loud.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I'm sorry, but atmosphere's going to get even worse when the disabled sections are in place.

Jose should vent that frustration at the owners. We need a safe standing section behind the opposite goal. Every change ATM is just affecting our atmosphere for the worse.
Amen to that... we need to get areas for young lads to go in with their mates and have some fun; because our atmosphere for the amount of people in the ground, is shocking most of the time.

I'm in the scoreboard, so unless things change i'll be on the move in a couple of seasons. I'm all for making us disabled friendly, but surely the place to revamp was the south stand lower.

Charlie Foley

:lol:
I'd suggest a song that some sections of our fans would sing to other less vocal sections..

Something along the lines of:

You're not here to sit,
Stand up on your feet,
Support your team,
Forget your feckin prawn sandwich
And sing for United

I know this is terrible but if we had something funny and yet pointed we could use it to motivate the quieter sections.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Member 57516

We need new ideas. A mic? lots of flags? A singing section like the away fans and ultras fans like some other clubs? And marketing to drive the fans not stop supporting, a large screen outside the stadium, banners, Ads from the players telling people to stay loud.
I don't know if you listen to the caf podcast, but they were talking about some positive ideas coming out of J stand, hopefully if other areas of the ground get organised like that, we could get our supporters competing with each other to see who can make the most noise.

Yeah, yeah, wishful thinking, I know. Can't I dream?

Charlie Foley

It's like 60% tourists and 20% quiet fans. Then there is the bunch of loud bald men in the stands who keeps up singing some tired songs. The atmosphere is what it is when the whole place is like a smaller carnival with all the commercial bullshit that brings.
I know mate. A lot of my friends don't even bother going anymore, they just watch the match at the fancy soda bar in town.

Andy_Cole

He's right. It's shite for all areas but Stretford end. I sit in the south stand near the away end and all you hear is the away fans. I'd love to sing all game (but be comfortably sat rather than stand, hence why I'm not in Stretty End) but it's just a bit awkward to do so to be honest. No one else will join in and probably get looked at.

Minimalist

The lack of self awareness in this thread is hilarious.

Nobody around you wants to sing? They're the weirdos, not you.

Nobody around you stands up? What shite supporters, unlike me the big top red.

United are massive club and reach out to more than just the pissed up lads. There's a place for everyone. Stop being so fecking harsh against perfectly normal behaviour.