Jose has a dig at the crowd

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
There are many of those insane 1000 odd crazy supporters some shirtless, in below freezing temperatures. Singing non-stop.

It feels strange because TFC is probably our least followed team in the city behind jays, leafs, raptors and Argos.

Also, you're right, we never sit down for the entire game. You won't be able to see anything sitting down.
That's not true. As a season-ticket holder at Section 210, anyone not in the Supporters' Sections (south stand, Sections 111-118) just stay sitting and rarely, if ever, stand up. What's even more unfortunate, however, is how the Supporters' Sections are starting to become quieter as the team becomes more successful. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Inebriatti have their own chants that other supporters' groups don't know how to sing. Even then, I try getting the 'TFC' chant going as it's the simplest chant possible, and only 10 or so people around me join in. If I'm lucky, I can get a whole upper part of the section to join in if they hear me.

What's happening to TFC is starting to worry me as it's the exact thing I dreaded about us when we started getting better: fans are starting to be treated as customers, and that attitude is starting to infect the supporters' groups as well (other than the Inebriatti).

Back on topic: the big issue with Old Trafford is that we don't see many fans around who are willing to chant and cheer. As the game's become more gentrified and teams became more detached from the supporters, fans are less likely to see United as their club and more like a product. That's the case with every sports team in general, but in football, it seems more shocking given that football started off as a sport by the people for the people. In order to improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford, these things need to be done:
  1. Get a dedicated supporters' section(s) where standing and singing are encouraged
  2. Encourage fans in that section(s) to bring in flags and banners
  3. Get your average spectator involved via murals or simple chants in the big games
As long as the above 3 things happen, we should get a better atmosphere not only at Old Trafford but at every stadium in England. When I look at the fact that Crystal Palace and Huddersfield have ultras groups supporting their team, those groups contribute so much to the overall matchday experience and enhance it for the average spectator. We should probably do the same if we are to get started with making Old Trafford louder at the very least.

RedCurry

That's not true. As a season-ticket holder at Section 210, anyone not in the Supporters' Sections (south stand, Sections 111-118) just stay sitting and rarely, if ever, stand up. What's even more unfortunate, however, is how the Supporters' Sections are starting to become quieter as the team becomes more successful.
Well since I only go for a few games a season, I might have biased opinion then. I usually get tickets in section 109 or 110 and my experience has always been that it was impossible to watch the game sitting down because everyone in front of me is just standing up.

Lentwood

I think there are a couple of major reasons why we struggle to maintain an atmosphere and I don't think it has much to do with day-trippers;

1) Their are two main singing areas. The official singing section and the Stretford End. Who's bright idea was it to position these at the opposite ends of the ground?! I sit in East Stand Tier 2 and regularly hear the two sections singing two different songs or one song but totally out of sync. Lots of Match Day goers, myself included, would stand up and sing all game IF I was around other people who also wanted to do that. The club need to ask everyone at the start of next season what their preferences are RE: standing/singing and re-allocate everyone accordingly. Its the only way imo.

2) Our chants are too complicated. I go to every home game and am a semi-regular in the likes of Bishops Blaize. Despite this, I usually find that because I don't go to away games it takes ages to pick new chants up. How can the average fan who goes 4/5 times a year and only to home games expect to pick these chants up? You almost need a hymn sheet for some of them! I like that we try to be original but simple and catchy is best

Whatsername

It's Bound to happen when there's loads of tourist fans they go for the experience not atmosphere.
Totally agree, we get to as many home games as we can get tickets for, usually in East tier 2, and so many times we've been seated by tourists who are spending more time videoing the away support than actually getting behind the team, or watching the game for that matter.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Aye we were drab tonight. Ah well, it'll pick up in the big games.

AshRK

Rain or no rain, crowd must have done something special today. Some banner, some thing. Pathetic stuff.

walkinhop

Horrid night, against a boring team, with a very predictable outcome. Hardly the recipe for a lively crowd.
And this right here is the problem. Fans think that everything should align for them to be lively where, actually, their livelyness helps the team play better. I heard the excuses under Moyes, more under Van Gaal, and again now? Can't excuse this anymore and call it how i see it.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
And then this same crowd are gonna be quick to groan when things aren't going well yet they hardly bring in buzzing atmosphere.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Aye we were drab tonight. Ah well, it'll pick up in the big games.
What big games? Might be none till Feb or later - presuming we get that far.

We scored three goals in our first CL night since 2015 which we worked very hard to get into last year. The crowd was poor all night. Shocking, to be honest.

Godfather

Seen a better atmoshpere created by 500 ppl tbh. Sth needs to be done about this. It's getting ridiculous.

SirAF

Ageist

Although, I'm not going to blame anyone for leaving early when it is pissing down and you have to go to work early tomorrow morning.

R'hllor

We should be in CL, we taking part of CL every 2nd season they said, won EL , first CL game under JM and crowd in full vacuum mode, why even bother showing up

Lentwood

Right....this was my point about the CL all along last season. This OBSESSION from the media about getting into the CL as if its the be all and end all, forgetting that you actually have to WIN it for it to be worthwhile from a fans/players perspective

What many people forget, is that at least until the Group stages are over its actually pretty terrible! It needs a shake-up because honestly, who wants to see Utd beat some no-hopers from a minor league at 7:45pm Wednesday evening?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What big games? Might be none till Feb or later - presuming we get that far.

We scored three goals in our first CL night since 2015 which we worked very hard to get into last year. The crowd was poor all night. Shocking, to be honest.
Yeah we'll have games against Benfica and then I'm sure at knock out stages OT will be rocking. Having a crap atmosphere at Old Trafford is nothing new. There has been complaints since I started watching them 17 years ago.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly can't remember a time where a game like tonight would have had any better crowd reaction. The first few games in the group stage of european competitions are always awful crowd wise. It's been like that for many many many many years.

N2402

prawns taste good in manchester rain don't you know, ;)

sat behind my laptop its easy to say it was poor atmosphere tonight but the back in the CL expected more(and seats filled)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Basel fans put us to shame tonight. Looked like half the stadium left early as well.
I think this would be the case with almost every Premier League team. It's not unusual for away European fans to be far louder that home English fans.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What a strange thing to say. Not every United supporter can be at every match at the same time...capacity and all...
I'm not saying they can be. I'm saying if you didn't go, I don't think you can slag off those who did.

It was quieter than usual from the TV coverage, but to call the home support horrible and embarrassing from your armchair is poor form IMO.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
CL group games, lower league games in League Cup... Most of you haven't a clue that ST holder who opt in for aways have every single game we play at home in the cup debited from their accounts pretty much the second a draw is made. We got a shite (easy) but shite group for games this year. Basel, Benfica and fecking CSKA. Most try and give the tickets away for half Price to mates or people who fancy going to a rare game.

Atmosphere at OT has never been good for games like this and it never will. No point moaning. Until everyone can stand together with mates and enjoy it properly, itll be shite bar 4-5 games a season as it has for the last 25 years.

I don't like to criticize seeing as I don't live in Manchester and can't get the feel of what it's actually like to be there but it was a bit sad tonight. The 500 Basel fans were the only ones I could hear