g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fellaini's barber

We can't spend £200 million on defence in 1 transfer window so we can't just sell everyone.
That's not the point. People on here keep going on about how Pep is doing so much better than Jose because he inherited a better squad ignoring the fact that both managers player preferences plays a part in why there's such a gulf in quality. While Pep needs players with technical ability in his midfield Jose wants Fellaini. While Pep wants ball playing defenders who can take /pass the forward Jose wants defenders like Rojo who will just defend and hoof relentlessly. The problem is not spending money to replace the players, the problem is the type of players Jose seems to fancy. People can't keep going on about how Pep has a better team as an excuse for Jose when his favorite players are Rojo and Fellaini

dove

That's not the point. People on here keep going on about how Pep is doing so much better than Jose because he inherited a better squad ignoring the fact that both managers player preferences plays a part in why there's such a gulf in quality. While Pep needs players with technical ability in his midfield Jose wants Fellaini. While Pep wants ball playing defenders who can take /pass the forward Jose wants defenders like Rojo who will just defend and hoof relentlessly. The problem is not spending money to replace the players, the problem is the type of players Jose seems to fancy. People can't keep going on about how Pep has a better team as an excuse for Jose when his favorite players are Rojo and Fellaini
If we extend Rojo's contract doesn't mean he is Mou's favourite player. Maybe he has to choose between Rojo and Jones to be sold, he chose the latter. And yes, Pep inherited miles better squad, everyone knows it.

fellaini's barber

If we extend Rojo's contract doesn't mean he is Mou's favourite player. Maybe he has to choose between Rojo and Jones to be sold, he chose the latter. And yes, Pep inherited miles better squad, everyone knows it.
Pep got a better team, but seems to be doing a lot more to improve the than us. Answer this question honestly, do you think he'd be playing Fellaini, Rojo, Young, Smalling after four windows if Pep came here? If we're still playing these guys as first team players next season and being shit will we still be moaning about how Pep got a better deal?

dove

Pep got a better team, but seems to be doing a lot more to improve the than us. Answer this question honestly, do you think he'd be playing Fellaini, Rojo, Young, Smalling after four windows if Pep came here? If we're still playing these guys as first team players next season and being shit will we still be moaning about how Pep got a better deal?
Rojo and Fellaini hardly played for us this season. As for young and Smalling, we literally have no other choice. Fellaini shouldn't have played against Sevilla I agree but seriously our only fit CM on the bench was 21 year old youth player with ~5 senior appearances. It's a joke for a club as big as United. City's squad was miles ahead and Pep was able to sort it in couple of seasons but the core players are the same from ~5 seasons ago. Our core had the likes of Rooney and Schneiderlin who can barely get a game at Everton now... Look, I am not saying we are doing amazingly well or overachieve but some of you really underestimate the job he has to do to sort this shit out. He got both games against Sevilla really wrong but the players bottled it as well. Either way, even if he leaves after next season, next manager will have a much better squad.

C'est Moi Cantona

If he got the team playing as well as he strokes his ego and talks crap, then we'd be in business.

Sadly I expect another hard watch, followed by some more 'wise words' tomorrow.

FujiVice

I think people tend to miss the point about what a lot of fans want. We dont have the right to win anything. It's like in real life, if you work hard at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you earned whatever pay packet you have at the end of the month. Most of us really just want to watch our side going for it. Playing good football. Even if we lose, just fecking go for it. We havent had that is so long. Mourinho can talk down the job as much as he wants, but this is on his head. The fans werent booing because we lost the other night. They were booing because we were clueless. Some of our players look dreadful under this "philosophy."

Hansa

It's alright if he gets another season. He deserves that, based on the improvements in results. My worry is what will happen if, after another few hundred million spent in the summer, we again suddenly find ourselves 8-10 points adrift early in the season, maybe with the same dreary football as this season. Things would get toxic, and we'll probably begin another managerial cycle yet again. Hopefully he'll get it right before it becomes a serious issue.

Minimalist

LVG No.

Moyes I don't think the players gave 100% for him along with his own mistakes so we will never know how it would have turned out.

JM's football isnt pretty but we are making progress under him.
Yeah...but we do, don't we?

Fabian Keller

He really has aged. More so than any other manager during this period.

He had a bit of this spark with the white shirt in the dug out during the first month of the season. Went back to the tracksuit grandpa vs Liverpool

Faetheshire86

I'm not about to re-write history, we were in a dire situation and we needed Mourinho to right the ship, which he has done. Problem is, when you make a deal with the devil, you can't really complain when he comes for your soul.

I've never been vehemently against Mourinho like some, but the last week has definitely tipped the scales against him. If he left tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eye.

saivet

I was saying to someone at work that I've got over the Sevilla game now. I'm not a fan of Mourinho but was saying that next season is where he has to prove his worth.

After hearing his press conference today, I think the man is breaking down and we should probably get rid at the end of the season. I just voted for sack him (though not during the season). Not sure why I never voted but I would have been in the " Made improvements but we've stagnated. Sack him if we drop out of top 4" camp for some time.

L1nk

Does anyone think the players are listening to what he is saying and thinking long and hard about how they feel about this man, i mean he's kinda saying they're crap, he's certainly implying he was left all crap, and not good enough for him and his plan, no?

Smithy_123

This fool needs to realise that we can take losing, but what we will not take is losing in such a cowardly way, especially against a lesser team that is probably worth 10% of ours. Some humility also wouldn't go amiss.

SwSw

People like you keep going on about how Jose loves Fellaini or Rojo for the wrong reasons. The reason why both of the are loved is the former follows instructions to the grave and the later is aggressive, something our CBs, bar Bailly does not do.

Jose picked Fellaini over McTominay. Hindsight tell us that is an error but he probably picked Fellaini for his experience. Your point only holds if Jose picks Fellaini over Matic or a FIT Pogba. On the other hand, Rojo is a Mourinho favourite because he is aggressive and he is our only left footed CB. Last season, Rojo played his socks out for Mourinho.

NoPace

It made no sense he didn't persist with Matic-Pogba-Herrera as the balanced core of the team and pick a front 3 and back 4 based on that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have you watched Kieran Mckenna's United U18 side yet? they have thrashing everyone in the north league, and his footballing is soo beautiful and play so excellent. He's one I want him to manage the United if we will go on the same path as Barca with pep and Real Madrid with Zidane. He's also United fans.
Interesting.

SirAF

Ageist
I’ve already adressed an answer to that comment:

It’s 14 years - people change their views and meanings over such a long period. Last year, some Einstein dug up a quote from 2007 where I criticized Mourinho - shock horror! People change.

Abhinav

You're entitled to your opinion but calling out others who do not agree with your opinion as childish and immature is more than a little ironic. You say this United team was never ready to challenge for the premier league but thst judgement is made in retrospect (is based on our poorly coached performances) and can be read as much as a failure of Mourinho than tbe lack of quality of the squad.
At the start of the season most pundits were expecting a two horse race between ourselves and the AbuDhabi project. Up u til our cowardly display vs Liverpool we were playing some good football. There was certainly some momentum to build on until José took the wind out of our sails.
We are not the perfect side by any means but we definitely have the attacking talent to challenge for the league if only they were allowed attack. Instead they've been stifled and look totally disheartened.

Mourinho's fecked it up big time with his small time cautious tactics. I'd thank him and kick him out the door at the end of the season and get a new progressive attack minded manager in. I am not looking forward to another year of outmoded stifling stodge and our players must be absolutely sick of playing like we are unequal, underdogs. The team is simply and shamefully not allowed play to their best ability.
The reason I feel the reaction is immature is because it one based on a single game and because fans cannot digest the fact that we lost a match which they felt was a foregone conclusion. There has been a 10+ % move in the poll in this thread towards sacking after the Seville defeat. How is that a measured response?
With regards to us being title contenders in the eyes of the pundits, that is always based on hype than reality. A team that has finished 7,4,5,6 is showing a consistent story to what it really is. We added Lukaku (replacement for Zlatan), Lindelof (More of a future potential than a sure thing), Matic and Alexis to that team. Realistically, we would have been expected to at best finish between 80-85 points, enought for a close title challenge but not enough for a title win. Its only because of City’s phenomenal form that there is such a gap between the first and the second.

Beaucoup

Our manager showed real passion and commitment yesterday, I’m sure he will turn it round, definitely the right man for the job.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mourinho 2nd season has always been the best, while his 3rd are always most likely be the worst.

Enjoy the best time now, and prepare for the worst next season.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Our manager showed real passion and commitment yesterday, I’m sure he will turn it round, definitely the right man for the job.
He did. People should go listen to the second part of his interview on the BBC website. He's angry about the result and he points out that he (and all managers) cannot be honest to the press about what they really think of their own team's chances or which players are not playing well or are not good enough.

He also says he doesn't want the fans to lower their expectations but he does want the players to feel sad about the result and to use it as part of growing up.

I also agree with him that there are lots of people out there with ideas, but very few of them have a fecking clue.

He's angry and seems determined to succeed. I think he deserves the chance to do that.

meamth

2nd for the last 7 years. If we can finish there at 2nd, I think we are getting better. Patience is key.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He did. People should go listen to the second part of his interview on the BBC website. He's angry about the result and he points out that he (and all managers) cannot be honest to the press about what they really think of their own team's chances or which players are not playing well or are not good enough.

He also says he doesn't want the fans to lower their expectations but he does want the players to feel sad about the result and to use it as part of growing up.

I also agree with him that there are lots of people out there with ideas, but very few of them have a fecking clue.

He's angry and seems determined to succeed. I think he deserves the chance to do that.
If he didn't believe we couldn't get passed Sevilla, then why is he the manager? What hope do we have.

I'm sorry but him saying many players would get in our team was absolute rubbish, i'd take 3 of them tops. Yes they have the experience in "cup matches" but that wasn't what let us down.

We did the hard work of the away leg, but we froze at home.

fellaini's barber

People like you keep going on about how Jose loves Fellaini or Rojo for the wrong reasons. The reason why both of the are loved is the former follows instructions to the grave and the later is aggressive, something our CBs, bar Bailly does not do.

Jose picked Fellaini over McTominay. Hindsight tell us that is an error but he probably picked Fellaini for his experience. Your point only holds if Jose picks Fellaini over Matic or a FIT Pogba. On the other hand, Rojo is a Mourinho favourite because he is aggressive and he is our only left footed CB. Last season, Rojo played his socks out for Mourinho.
Well if we keep filling the squad the squad with players whose best qualities are following Jose's instructions to the letter and aggressiveness then no one should using the Pep got a better squad excuse till now then. Especially as most of those type of players where already here when he came. Who are these players everyone keeps saying we should clear out then? The likes of Martial?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’ve already adressed an answer to that comment:

It’s 14 years - people change their views and meanings over such a long period. Last year, some Einstein dug up a quote from 2007 where I criticized Mourinho - shock horror! People change.
:lol: More like people change their 'views and meanings' based on conveniences and biases, without applying rational and logic.

SwSw

Well if we keep filling the squad the squad with players whose best qualities are following Jose's instructions to the letter and aggressiveness then no one should using the Pep got a better squad excuse till now then. Especially as most of those type of players where already here when he came. Who are these players everyone keeps saying we should clear out then? The likes of Martial?
Are you implying that players who follow instruction is all is needed? I sure as hell wasn't.

I'm not saying that we should build our team around the likes of Fellaini or Rojo. I was implying that considering the bad lot we had, that's the best we could do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rationale and logic would be to not get hung up on a 14 year old quote.
To be fair, there is nothing wrong with the quote. Mourinho was right then and he would be right today if applied it to himself, which he probably does.

SirAF

Ageist
To be fair, there is nothing wrong with the quote. Mourinho was right then and he would be right today if applied it to himself, which he probably does.
There is nothing wrong about it, it’s just daft to dig it up 14 years later in some clever attempt at ridicule.

Status
Not open for further replies.