Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

BigdaftGorby

Signing Fellaini was systematic of our decline. It was also the start of the end for Moyes when he signed him. Very useful plan C when it’s 80mins and we just need to lump it. He has scored some useful goals but our play when he’s on the pitch is alongside Stoke City. Long ball, long ball....

wolvored

I don' think he will be a big loss especially if we bring in a couple of creative midfielders in the summer. People have said he has scored important goals, but isnt every goal imoortant if it gets you a win or draw in some cases?

Fully Fledged

If he wants to leave for more football or money to secure his future good luck to him. He has been a useful member of our squad over the past 5 years. he has help us in the trophies that we have achieved over the last 2 seasons. For me I'd thank him for his service. If he is prepared to stay he is still a good option from the bench for the last 30 mins of matches or from the start in games where we know we are in for an aerial battle.

Fully Fledged

I don' think he will be a big loss especially if we bring in a couple of creative midfielders in the summer. People have said he has scored important goals, but isnt every goal important if it gets you a win or draw in some cases?
Some wins and draws are more important than others. The thing is that not every goal in a win is as important. The third and fourth in a 4-0 win are not as important as the first or second for instance.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Haven't heard a peep. If he goes, then they need two new CMs in the summer.

I'd like him to stay, for the record.
Same here.
What I like about him is his battling spirit.
You know that he won't simply turn up to a game and not put in 100% effort. When he is on the pitch, you know that in CM, there will be a player representing us, who fight tooth and nail for every ball.
Sometimes, when our players are treating a game "like just another day in the office", Fellaini is a fantastic player to bring on, if only to fire up the players around him.

Mindhunter

Get rid of the useless piece of p*ss.
Not sure if this is a genuine post. If yes, then I am shocked at the treatment to a current player, especially when he has always tried to give it his best each time he has been on the pitch.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Fellaini is a good player, but in my eyes he will always be associated with that mess of a first transfer window after Fergie left, and since then Fellaini has become associated(whether fairly or not) with us playing long ball Sam Allardyce/ Tony Pulis style football.

So for me, and i completely admit this is harsh and unfair, but i'm kind of looking froward to the day he leaves, it will feel slightly cleansing.

buckooo1978

he added a real calmness and control to our display on Saturday against Burnley - still not a good enough footballer to stay

good moments are not the same as being consistently good

tomaldinho1

Never been a fan of his, if he's running down his contract fair enough. I don't doubt he has contributed and 'always given his best' but I don't think he is the type of player we want to have in the 1st team on the basis he's not actually that good at football. Would be happy for him to be an impact player as he can be a nice tactical option form the bench but don't think he'd want that, especially with WC upcoming

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Him leaving could be a blessing in disguise!! Yeah we lose a bit of transfer value, but we save his wages. From a on field point of view it will hopefully mean we sign someone more creative who improves overall play, so rather than relying on a plan B, we just make plan A much better!

ChaddyP

Signing Fellaini was systematic of our decline. It was also the start of the end for Moyes when he signed him. Very useful plan C when it’s 80mins and we just need to lump it. He has scored some useful goals but our play when he’s on the pitch is alongside Stoke City. Long ball, long ball....
Whats wrong with long ball?

King.of.Red

I hope he stays with us. Very useful player for us. Of course if he wants to leave for higher salary and more game times, then I can understand his decision.

Roboc7

I don’t think it matters whether he stays or goes, if he leaves we will get a better player, if he stays a new cm will come in to replace Carrick and push him further down the pecking order. His Utd career has peaked in terms of starting games regularly, Mourinho knows he isn’t good enough to start unlike Moyes and LVG.

Fellaini has choice between staying and being massively overpaid to make 10-20 min cameo appearances or leaving to potentially play more regularly but earn significantly less.

Personally think he will sign extension as no one will meet his wage demands and he probably won’t have that many decent teams interested.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Deserves a new contract, even if just to increase his value when we sell him in the summer.

Albin Johansson

I don' think he will be a big loss especially if we bring in a couple of creative midfielders in the summer. People have said he has scored important goals, but isnt every goal imoortant if it gets you a win or draw in some cases?
Has it ever happened that we just "bring in a couple of creative midfielders in the summer?

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I want to keep Fellaini but it wouldn't cause me too much heartbreak if he did decide to leave.
this is how i feel. he does put everything into whatever amount of time he has on the field

Brophs

The One and Only
Deserves a new contract, even if just to increase his value when we sell him in the summer.
I can't really see that. Don't think there'd be a massive market for Fellaini at 30, with how much we'd demand to sell and him with a big contract under his belt with a few years to run. But on a free, he'll pitch up somewhere on well north of £100k a week over a few years.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Won't really mind seeing him go, I'm just not sure what club would pay him more than whatever he gets here. Looking for a big signing bonus perhaps?

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Shame because I think Mourinho clearly wants to keep him. His record this season is pretty astounding. Don’t think we’ve lost and we’ve barely conceded with him on the pitch. Yes he’s missed a lot of games but I think he’s more valuable than given credit for.

I think he’s ahead of Herrera at the moment so I’d expect to see quite a bit of him over the next few weeks beginning with Spurs on Wednesday. He could play his way into a new contract yet.

If he does go then at least we must address the midfield (I think we need to regardless). Should be pushing for Kovacic or Savic if they’re attainable. The former should be a requirement in any deal Madrid try and do for De Gea.

Foxbatt

Fellaini has won the FA Cup, EFL Cup, The Europa Cup and the Charity Shield too. I was really surprised to see this. The only thing missing is the PL and the CL. It says a lot for him that he has won these by playing in the Finals too. Not bad for a lamppost eh? Not bad.

tony54

Fellaini has won the FA Cup, EFL Cup, The Europa Cup and the Charity Shield too. I was really surprised to see this. The only thing missing is the PL and the CL. It says a lot for him that he has won these by playing in the Finals too. Not bad for a lamppost eh? Not bad.
Fellaini is far better than Pierra ever will be and as well as being a very good squad player he is definately a big match winner. I think he has been treated very badly by some on here possibly only on the merit of being a Moy's buy.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Given the fact that they all in the last year and a half and he was part of the team this entire team, why are you so surprised?:wenger:
Romero has all those to and he only really played part in the Europa one.

He's an OK player, one you would like to have, but not cry over if he moves. I'd rather have another top class CM that can handle the ball better

Who Loves ya Bebe

I genuinely think Fellaini represents the downfall from the end of the Fergie Era, to the Moyes/LVG era. Seeing him go (as much as i dont have a problem with him, i dont think he is/was the standard of player we should be recruiting) would be a symbolic moment for this new era for Utd, where Mourinho seems to be slowly bringing us back up to where we used to be, and hope to be again soon.

Reactions: Sultan

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That wouod be an amazing change of narritive on the caf that i have not yet realised
He became the caf darling since he had one good game and then one average... in a row! Now he just has to not boot it into row z every touch for his performance to be deemed excellent.

OverratedOpinion

Very useful player and I will be happy if we agree a new contract but not the end of the world if he leaves. I think we need to sign a midfielder either way so it won't change much as far as our plans moving forward.

It should be said that the way he has been treated by the majority of fans, I couldn't blame him for not being desperate to stay.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There's no reason to sign a new contract with him, unless its just to sell him straight after so we get more money for him.

Useless player and I sigh everytime i see him in a Utd shirt. Please can we just move on from him and be done with it, one way or another.

Sp00ks11

More than happy for him to leave. I wonder if he will end up at Real, City, Psg, Barca or Bayern as they are all clamouring for him.. right. :rolleyes:

haram

He isn't a useless player. Some people are incredibly harsh on him.

Smores

There's no reason to sign a new contract with him, unless its just to sell him straight after so we get more money for him.

Useless player and I sigh everytime i see him in a Utd shirt. Please can we just move on from him and be done with it, one way or another.
There's plenty of reasons considering the manager trusts him as a member of the squad. I really don't think the club will factor in that some of our fans are unable to factor in his contributions. We've had plenty of other midfield signings perform worse than him and its no guarantee we'll so better in his replacement.

Fully Fledged

I will be the first to admit that he has been far better than I originally thought he would be. I must admit that I wasn't booing after the penalty against Everton because he had convinced me by then that he could contribute to the team by then.

OverratedOpinion

Jesus a lot of our fans are embarrassing when it comes to Fellaini. He's given 100% the entire time he has been here, scored some big goals for us and played excellently in some big games.

I understand that some think he represents a style of play they don't like or the Moyes/Van Gaal era but there were countless other players around at that time who performed worse than him and some who didn't show near the same levels of commitment.

State of it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There's plenty of reasons considering the manager trusts him as a member of the squad. I really don't think the club will factor in that some of our fans are unable to factor in his contributions. We've had plenty of other midfield signings perform worse than him and its no guarantee we'll so better in his replacement.
For me, if we cant replace him with a better player then we need a full revamp of our scouting system, there's plenty of players out there who could replace him.