Jose Mourinho joins Sky Sports

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You are right, Jose destroyed the club. Players where shackled by Jose system and if he left all would be great and full of wins. Guess not. But well, lets blame all the managers, ever on the club.

Have you ever tought that maybe, just maybe, the managers aren't the real problem?

Have you ever tought that being miserable like you are is the same that Jose was when he had is "meltdown"? I hope we dont see United failing over and over again and people keep blaming the managers. Denial it's really something
Have you ever though about reading the posts before replying?

I still don't understand how any ManUtd fans can't see why fans are bitter towards Jose and other managers/people who have destroyed this club
You find it hilarious maybe because you are a big Jose fan, for other ManUtd fans they criticize him for the damage he did to the club just like Moyes and Van Gaal did along with Woodward.
Miserable :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Lukaku wasn't a failure for Jose. Mkhi I agree and Sanchez was traded for Mkhi (but I agree nonetheless). Matic yep. Bailey sad because he was a beast pre his ankle injury and a liability post that.

For all his obsession with random players that didn't fit the fans outlook, he still did better than Ole has when he favoured the star players (ie playing Pogba selling Fellaini, sticking Rashford up top etc)
Ole has had one transfer window. I'm not sure why you keep harping on him. Regardless if Ole fails or not, it doesn't absolve Mourinho of anything. He never challenged for the title or performed in Europe, while many of his marquee signings are either deadwood or didn't reach expectations. That's a failure for any big club.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think we just need to call a spade a spade, he's a historic great but in the present day he's the manager equivalent of a player who's lost his legs.

Imagine the prime version available the same summer both Chelsea and Inter were looking for a new manager, we'd have been fighting over him however this time neither of us even glanced in his direction.

tomaldinho1

Isnt it the same with ole? Because of the perception that he'll get it right in year 3?

Mourinho spends 30m matic for a quick fix and got europa cup for it. Not bad for a quick fix. Lindelof is still our cb. Pogba has his own issue with not wanting to be here but it wasnt a bad purchase. Zlatan comes in for free and did his job. Baily was a 15m punt.
Was it a quick fix though? Mou spent what ~£400m and we won an EL and a league cup before (as the whole world predicted) we capitulated in his third season. Bailly was £30m FYI

What's going on with Ole now is nothing new, we aren't worse than last season - we are just as bad. At this point under Mou we'd lost to Spurs 3-0, lost to Brighton, drawn with Wolves and were about to go out to Derby in the league cup and then lose the WHUM in the league. We'd conceded 9 goals, scored 9 and sat in 7th place compared to conceded 6 scored 8 and sat in 8th place.

Essentially we wrote off two and half seasons and stunted the development of many of our younger players in return for one EL and one League cup. That's not a quick fix because the club is still broken.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole has had one transfer window. I'm not sure why you keep harping on him. Regardless if Ole fails or not, it doesn't absolve Mourinho of anything. He never challenged for the title or performed in Europe, while many of his marquee signings are either deadwood or didn't reach expectations. That's a failure for any big club.
I'm only addressing comparisons between the two managers made by others.

As I said before Jose made his bed and even he didn't complain about the sacking. My only qualm is how bitter some fans still are when he's on skysports.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think he was particularly spot on when he spoke about Martial (briefly) and Rashyyyyyyyyy

When he said that Martial is not happy playing outwide, it's totally true and symptomatic of his behavior.

And he says that Rashyyyyyyy is better outwide. It just means that he's not good enough to play as a lone striker and will only gives you 10-12 goals per season.

He may be a manager of the past, he's right about this.

roonster09

Scout
I think he was particularly spot on when he spoke about Martial (briefly) and Rashyyyyyyyyy

When he said that Martial is not happy playing outwide, it's totally true and symptomatic of his behavior.

And he says that Rashyyyyyyy is better outwide. It just means that he's not good enough to play as a lone striker and will only gives you 10-12 goals per season.

Wonder why he was played as LW all the time under Jose. Maybe he is suited to pundit role than manager as he can see the problems but can't fix it like every other pundit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Was it a quick fix though? Mou spent what ~£400m and we won an EL and a league cup before (as the whole world predicted) we capitulated in his third season. Bailly was £30m FYI

What's going on with Ole now is nothing new, we aren't worse than last season - we are just as bad. At this point under Mou we'd lost to Spurs 3-0, lost to Brighton, drawn with Wolves and were about to go out to Derby in the league cup and then lose the WHUM in the league. We'd conceded 9 goals, scored 9 and sat in 7th place compared to conceded 6 scored 8 and sat in 8th place.

Essentially we wrote off two and half seasons and stunted the development of many of our younger players in return for one EL and one League cup. That's not a quick fix because the club is still broken.
Problem is. His 3rd season got him the boot while the same stuff is lauded as progress.

Don't get me wrong, i too love ole as a player and wish he could be our next saf. Better him than anyone else. But just some perspective on how people are creating imaginary progress just because it's ole.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

One thing about jose i like is that he's impartial in his view. He was our ex manager and a top manager once he surely knows a thing or two about our ex player

JohnnyLaw

@JohnnyLaw, sure if you twist like you did by saying Ibra was just a stop gap whatever that means and Pogba wasn't even his transfer.

Anyway I dont get this obsession. He's gone but some can't let it go and he comes nice as a guy who's to blame for everything when we know problems run deep at the club.
I love the guy but when we signed him he was about to 35, thinking he was anything more than that is ridiculous.

Even if Pogba was Mourinhos signing, apart from him and Pogba who of Mourinhos signings would you sign again today?

I’m happy to let him go but he has to stand responsible for the shape of the squad. He spent over 400m to improve it and wasted most of it and now Ole is being made to answer for the state of the squaf. That’s unfair and that’s why Mourinho part in this has to be brought up again.

tomaldinho1

Problem is. His 3rd season got him the boot while the same stuff is lauded as progress.

Don't get me wrong, i too love ole as a player and wish he could be our next saf. Better him than anyone else. But just some perspective on how people are creating imaginary progress just because it's ole.
I might be wrong but I haven't seen anyone claim we have made progress, I think that's the point. Ole is a very inexperienced coach and seems to basically have stuck with Jose's system whilst showering us in buzzwords about pressing, workrate, passion for the shirt etc.

I will say the 3 signings are solid - Maguire is overrated but an upgrade nonetheless, James looks great and AWB makes a big difference. More important is the tactics we use though and, on that front, we seem very basic.

AshRK

I think we just need to call a spade a spade, he's a historic great but in the present day he's the manager equivalent of a player who's lost his legs.

Imagine the prime version available the same summer both Chelsea and Inter were looking for a new manager, we'd have been fighting over him however this time neither of us even glanced in his direction.
I don't think any sane big club will touch him. Manchester United was his chance to show the world he has adapted to the modern football. He could have easily built a legacy here but he chose to burn everything away. He should have been more smarter and instead of teaching history lesson to United after the Sevilla game, he shoud have been humble and accepted his mistake gracefully. I still think he will be fine coaching a top club but he is too rigid for his own good.

spiriticon

Jose has a 3-year masterplan and not much more than that. There's no point thinking about what he could have produced in his 4th/5th/6th year here because he has never proven he has what it takes to carry success into the long term.

He was here for the short term and he did his job in that time. Time to move on from him.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

What's the point of this cnut being on sky sports when they don't ask him any challenging questions?

He basically called out Lindelof's weaknesses but no one asked why did he think he was good enough for Man United.

Lukaku wasn't good enough for him at Chelsea but he was good enough for United?

Neville was complaining (out of context) that the club have spent so much in the last 6 years but no one asked the man sat in the studio that spent most of it ffs!

With the squad we started the season with it was obvious that it would be an up and down season especially with injuries. Why is everyone so surprised? If we'd beaten WH at the weekend (we have historically struggled there btw) the problems would still be there but without this Ole is clueless narrative.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm only addressing comparisons between the two managers made by others.

As I said before Jose made his bed and even he didn't complain about the sacking. My only qualm is how bitter some fans still are when he's on skysports.
I don't think stating the obvious is bitterness. Every time his name is mentioned, people start peddling the "2nd place was an achievement" or "he wasn't backed excuses". Are they bitter as well?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Will go down as one of the most successful managers of all time even if he never coaches again (some will say maybe it's better that he doesn't). You could also say that he was the only one who relatively delivered what's expected purely in terms of results. That side wasn't a brilliant one and he still managed to get them to 81 points in his famous 2nd year. In most seasons before he would probably squeeze few more and we would be in the mix for the title.

Saying that, would never in a million years go again on the same journey. That inevitable downfall just isn't worth it. Absolute misery all around in the last year and should have been sacked even sooner imo. That path was leading in one direction only.

Nothing Ole does now or in the future will change that.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I might be wrong but I haven't seen anyone claim we have made progress, I think that's the point. Ole is a very inexperienced coach and seems to basically have stuck with Jose's system whilst showering us in buzzwords about pressing, workrate, passion for the shirt etc.

I will say the 3 signings are solid - Maguire is overrated but an upgrade nonetheless, James looks great and AWB makes a big difference. More important is the tactics we use though and, on that front, we seem very basic.
You need to browse Ole thread more then, there are plenty on here who see an amazing 'progress' being made at United.

The expectations between Mourinho and Ole are night and day. After 2 windows and £300m spend, people expected a title challenge (vs 100 pts City side) where 2nd place is perceived as a failure. The moment he looked on track to miss out on CL football, he was sacked and rightfully so (in his own words). If his successors (be it Ole or someone else) were able to deliver successive years of CL football (minus any silverware) they'd be hailed as a genius. He isn't the sole reason we are in the current mess, we are in current mess because we keep picking different managers with different philosophies and also hire managers who are past their prime (see Moyes and Mourinho) or just not cut out for the job (see Moyes and Ole).

The fact he annoys so many on here where you can sense the rage from their keyboards will never not be amusing.

roonster09

Scout
You need to browse Ole thread more then, there are plenty on here who see an amazing 'progress' being made at United.

The expectations between Mourinho and Ole are night and day. After 2 windows and £300m spend, people expected a title challenge (vs 100 pts City side) where 2nd place is perceived as a failure. The moment he looked on track to miss out on CL football, he was sacked and rightfully so (in his own words). If his successors (be it Ole or someone else) were able to deliver successive years of CL football (minus any silverware) they'd be hailed as a genius. He isn't the sole reason we are in the current mess, we are in current mess because we keep picking different managers with different philosophies and also hire managers who are past their prime (see Moyes and Mourinho) or just not cut out for the job (see Moyes and Ole).

The fact he annoys so many on here where you can sense the rage from their keyboards will never not be amusing.
That was because ManUtd was closer to other top teams when Jose took over, compared to now where we are miles below them. Liverpool and City went miles ahead while we regressed. If Ole or someone else took over the squad in 2016-17, expectations would have been the same, if Jose took over ManUtd today, expectations won't be same as it was in 2016-17.

The fact that he still has worshipers is more amusing (not saying you are btw). What he says on Sky is not something that is unknown to many, even Moyes pointed out the mistakes, Van Gaal pointed out the mistakes. Take few from redcafe and put them in Sky studio they will tell we have problems and point out the mistakes. We don't need people who are only good enough to point out mistakes, we need people/managers who can correct those mistakes.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There is always a risk in transfer even the players are experienced and proven. No one can ever predict Mkhitaryan and Sanchez failed that badly in Man Utd. One was voted as Bundesliga's player of the season at the time and the other one had been Arsenal's best player for couple season. Baily before his injury he was great. I also wonder who identify the transfer target in Man Utd? I would assume that would be the job of the scouts and the head of scout recommend players to the manager. Why does manager shoulder all the blame if the player doesn't work out?

VP

People defending Mourinho really need to revisit some of the shite he served up.

There's a reason he keeps getting sacked: he's a poisonous prick.

steffyr2

That was because ManUtd was closer to other top teams when Jose took over, compared to now where we are miles below them. Liverpool and City went miles ahead while we regressed. If Ole or someone else took over the squad in 2016-17, expectations would have been the same, if Jose took over ManUtd today, expectations won't be same as it was in 2016-17.

The fact that he still has worshipers is more amusing (not saying you are btw). What he says on Sky is not something that is unknown to many, even Moyes pointed out the mistakes, Van Gaal pointed out the mistakes. Take few from redcafe and put them in Sky studio they will tell we have problems and point out the mistakes. We don't need people who are only good enough to point out mistakes, we need people/managers who can correct those mistakes.
We were??????

Hawks2008

Holy shit he headfecked all of you didn't he? :lol: I had no love for the man and wanted him gone the second Sevilla knocked us out in CL but ffs, he's gone Let it go

roonster09

Scout
Holy shit he headfecked all of you didn't he? :lol: I had no love for the man and wanted him gone the second Sevilla knocked us out in CL but ffs, he's gone Let it go
As someone who wanted him out since the Seville calamity I agree, he headfecked so many people on here. He failed, he's gone, let it go.
Mourinho has headfecked so many people, the man failed and is gone and some are still seething. Disagreeing with someone is one thing but using their opinions on a former manager as an attempt to invalidate their opinion is just poor.
:lol:

Hawks2008

I mean, am I wrong? I'm just tired of the constant 'mourinho badd! >:^(' bleating, especially in threads not even about Mourinho. Just pure bitterness and at any rate his failings as a manager at United don't have a lot of bearing on our window or performance this season. Just get over it.

roonster09

Scout
I mean, am I wrong? I'm just tired of the constant 'mourinho badd! >:^(' bleating, especially in threads not even about Mourinho. Just pure bitterness and at any rate his failings as a manager at United don't have a lot of bearing on our window or performance this season. Just get over it.
You can always avoid the threads. He was our ex manager, obviously his time as a manager will always be discussed just how Van Gaal's time is discussed. If you have so much problem with pro and against Jose posts then there are 100s of other threads to whinge about the current state of the club.

Looks like bitterness is again the buzzword, people don't even know what that means, just started using it because someone else did.

Bearded One

Yet, the style of football Mourinho popularized, is the approach most teams take in knock out competitions, or whenever they are underdogs.
Counter attack is still a viable weapon so long as it is deployed with ruthless efficiency else you become no different from the likes of Newcastle (with all due respect). You need not change your foundational tenets but if you don't add some dynamism to your tactics you become very predictable and consequently get reclined to the background.

Yeah why doesn't Mourinho bang on about how he never challenged Bournemouth, West Ham and Leicester?!! #Ole4lyfe
#Stayloyalunderperform
#Dumbfans
I have not said a thing about Ole and why should Jose be banging about doing better than Bournemouth?

He is so full of himself and yet with the level of resources available to him and his experience in the epl, I expected him to have at least help put together a reasonable looking squad.

Untd55

In reality, though, that team Mourinho took over was not really any better than what we have now. The league was far weaker in 15/16 in comparison to last season, yet we scored less goals in 15/16 and finished with exactly the same amount of points. The team Mourinho took over was nothing short of crap.

Strikers: Martial, Rashford, Depay (useless), Rooney (finished)

Midfield: Schneiderlin (useless), Mata, Herrera, Carrick (pretty much finished) Lingard, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger (Not much to say there)

Defence: Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Valencia, Young

Goalkeeper: De Gea

Amerifan

I don't agree about that first sentence. I think he came on very eager and realizing that it's a great opportunity for him to establish a legacy at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Of course I don't excuse the many mistakes he made during his time here, but somewhere along the line he clearly lost the patience with what is happening above him and it all went downhill after that.

The most damning part for me, and what scares me, is that a talented and proven manager like him failed here, how are we going to fare with someone like Ole, who to be very sincere, looks out of his depth.
I always thought Mou was jealous of SAF and wanted to prove himself the better manager. The United job was his chance to do just that. When he realized he’d never get the support he’d need to take on Pep and then Klopp, he downed tools.

Shark

@NotShark
In fairness, it doesn’t help that he’s now on Sky blabbering his mouth as if he’s not 50% or more at fault for our current issues in the pitch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Madness?! How can you say something so silly!

In van Gaals last season we finished on level points with City and 6 ahead of Liverpool! Yes, that's right - we were equal to City and ahead of Liverpool!

By the time José was done here he had us so far behind both you've got people talking about it taking years to catch up!

It beggars belief that some United fans not only still like him, but continue to defend his dreadful reign, too. He actually took the piss out of the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"Oh Lindelöf, he's weak in the air"

Why did no one say, well, you signed him you utter imbecile!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The things I interpreted from Mourinho's rhetoric on Sky is that he's a genius that saw everything coming, and not to blame for anything.

roonster09

Scout
Madness?! How can you say something so silly!

In van Gaals last season we finished on level points with City and 6 ahead of Liverpool! Yes, that's right - we were equal to City and ahead of Liverpool!

By the time José was done here he had us so far behind both you've got people talking about it taking years to catch up!

It beggars belief that some United fans not only still like him, but continue to defend his dreadful reign, too. He actually took the piss out of the club.
Exactly. It's like everyone just love to rewrite history.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Mourinho was simply saying that you need to pair him the right person - Maguire, who was scouted by, and wanted by Mourinho.
Why didn't he just partner him with the other CB he bought in Bailly?

Oh, because, like Lindelof, he was another poor transfer by Josè.