Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
So, if Jose lost in the final he wouldn't get a bonus.

If Jose won in the final he would get a bonus.

And the owners choose the second option? This is really weird. How much was the bonus? Five million? Ten? They blow much more than that in bad transfers every single year and they have not won anything for ages! Must be really bad owners to do that. Unbelievable!

Just think they have had enough of him and he wasn’t in their long term plans so decided to get rid before the final so whatever particular clause wasn’t activated.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Europa Conference League wins

SAF: 0
Arsene Wenger: 0
Johan Cruyff: 0
Bill Shankly: 0
Ancelotti: 0
Conte: 0
Sir Matt Busby: 0
Clough: 0
LVG: 0
Jose Mourinho: 1

Red the Bear

Something less generic
So it was just to save money? Teams waste a lot of money for just a little hope to win something, and they fire Jose one week before a final just to save a little money?
Yeah, he figured that it was untenable at that point so sacked him sooner rather than later , it was very petty but then again levy isn't really known for his magnanimity.

SER19

Bizarre levels of bitterness towards him. He won 2 trophies here and got our highest points total since Fergie, and while he must take some blame for the toxicity that led to his demise - there is more than enough evidence now that we have a rotten culture here and in retrospect he was probably right to give pogba tough love, want rid of martial and not rate rashford or shaw.

He has won another trophy, and you can belittle it all you like, but until we win anything then it looks a bit stupid. He didnt win one at spurs but was sacked right before the final he got them to. Our last few years show how hard any final is to get to, but he does it everywhere. Also the longest time between winning European after Fergie which proves that despite his standard falling, he still has longevity to go with his very high highs.

I can take or leave him, but some people go over the cliff with the hate

Well done to him

city-puma

Bizarre levels of bitterness towards him. He won 2 trophies here and got our highest points total since Fergie, and while he must take some blame for the toxicity that led to his demise - there is more than enough evidence now that we have a rotten culture here and in retrospect he was probably right to give pogba tough love, want rid of martial and not rate rashford or shaw.

He has won another trophy, and you can belittle it all you like, but until we win anything then it looks a bit stupid. He didnt win one at spurs but was sacked right before the final he got them to. Our last few years show how hard any final is to get to, but he does it everywhere. Also the longest time between winning European after Fergie which proves that despite his standard falling, he still has longevity to go with his very high highs.

I can take or leave him, but some people go over the cliff with the hate

Well done to him
You have to accept there are a lot in CAF who really like taking a black or white, extreme view.

frostbite

In a one off final, I'm taking Mourinho above any manager in history, anyday. Even above SAF.
Me too. If my team was in a final, I'd prefer to have Mourinho over everyone else, including Pep and Klopp.

( And actually SAF played a very conservative type of football in the finals and semi-finals. )

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In fairness Mourinho is still pretty effective in knock out football.

I criticise him plenty but certainly wouldn't throw shade at him winning this competition as ultimately he inherited Roma in it. Same with Man. United in 2017 and europa.

Think bigger issue is has he got enough about him to push Roma on now as it's not like Serie A is outstanding level currently. He couldn't kick on with Man. United after winning the two cups in 2017 after all.

Also masks league position and he's a long way off the top spots.

2015/16- Left Chelsea bottom 6 and he'd have struggle to get them top half if he'd stayed in charge the full season.

2016/17- Finished 6th.

2017/18- 2nd.

2018-19- 6th or 7th, can't remember but difficult to see you rising much higher given the state you were in at the time. OGS came in to win 10 straight but still couldn't get top 4 so Mourinho would've needed a better run to do it.

2019/20- 6th with Spurs. Of course only took them over in that November but then Conte took over at similar point this season and got them top 4.

20/21- Sacked in late April with Spurs about 8th as think Mason won a couple of games but they only scraped 7th in the end.

21/22- 6th with Roma so hasn't really lifted them to bigger heights than Fonseca in league so far.

In last decade he's tended to average 5th/6th in a 30 + league season so to me the Chelsea of 2015 was his last hurrah at real top level as think they got to SF of CL that season aswell.

Wonder if he'll ever manage in CL again.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
On a funny note, Spurs are the only club he hasn't won trophies with: isn't that just such a Spursy thing? :lol:

Fair play to him and to Roma.
Not actually true, he didn't win with Benfica or UD Leiria at the start of his career. Certainly Spurs is his only empty return since he became an established top manager at Porto though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Me too. If my team was in a final, I'd prefer to have Mourinho over everyone, including Pep and Klopp.

( And actually SAF played a very conservative type of football in the finals and semi-finals. )
Conte's pretty good in one off finals, totally nullified you guys in the FA cup in 2018.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is amazing. Simply amazing. Guy won us 3 (2) trophies, never sad bad words against club and fans and is treated here like shit.
Meanwhile worst manager in our history who left us at rock bottom, gets love and "thank you" banners. :confused: :confused:

Anyway, well done for him. Guy knows how to win finals

BorisManUtd

Think he's lost 2 cup finals so far in his career: vs Atletico Madrid in Copa del Rey in 2013 and with us against Conte's Chelsea in 2018. Far from the manager he once was but still alive and capable of success which is nice to see.

It is amazing. Simply amazing. Guy won us 3 (2) trophies, never sad bad words against club and fans and is treated here like shit.
Meanwhile worst manager in our history who left us at rock bottom, gets love and "thank you" banners. :confused: :confused:

Jose's behaviour got worse in his 2nd season with us. By July 2018 it was so obvious that the best outcome would be if he and club just parted ways because otherwise we'll throw a season away, and that's what happened (just like it was obvious after EL final last year that Ole got us as far as he could). We seem to always make decisions 6 months too late, hoping that things may get better.

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not actually true, he didn't win with Benfica or UD Leiria at the start of his career. Certainly Spurs is his only empty return since he became an established top manager at Porto though.
Technically true. But he only managed Benfica for nine matches in the fall then left UD Leiria mid season as well, so he never really had a chance to win trophies there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Conte's totally embarrassing record in Europe is a big red mark on his CV
I meant more domestic cup finals.

Is bizarre how he hasn't had one good run in europe considering Juve got to a couple of CL finals pretty much with team he created.

MalaysianRed7

Then maybe he shouldn't have downed tools and showed more respect for the club. And this is coming from somebody that backed Mourinho but I almost lost all respect for him in that third season.
Mourinho downed tools?! That’s news to me, and I say that as someone who watched every game that season up to that meaningless but symbolic 2-1 loss to Valencia when a win would have seen us top the league. He tried his best, but players like Shaw, Pogba, Martial and Rashford who he has been proven right about now let him down and downed tools themselves.

SirAF

Ageist

No point trying to reason with those people. Just ignore them and be happy for Mou!

Idxomer

VivaRonaldo85

He’s still comfortably the best manager we’ve had post Fergie which isn’t saying much. For a manager to bring silverware in the short term to a club whatever it may be, he would still be near the top of the list if that’s your goal. If it’s s long project you’re after, not for me. I can imagine he’s targeted this europa conference with Roma all season as much for his own egotistical record than anything else.

galwayfa

He hates Liverpool, his winning trophies , utd fans hate him I don't but he wasn't right fit, you can't as much as he did unless hes good

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Me too. If my team was in a final, I'd prefer to have Mourinho over everyone else, including Pep and Klopp.

Later on yes but not really earlier in his career( I also watched some of his Aberdeen matches so I have a relatively large sample size i suppose.).

el3mel

This interview is honestly overhated. He just said he inherited an awful group of players, which is different from saying the club itself sucks. A lot of people here said during last season that they hate the current team, doesn't mean they hate the club.

He has been respectful of Man United ever since he left and didn't say any bad word about us as a club in general. He refused to go in detail about the circumstance of his sacking.

Now compare that LVG taking every single chance to throw digs at Man United and trashing us whenever he can.

Idxomer

But where is the lie? What he said was facts, you don’t have like what he said but it was true.
He doesn't have to lie to be a cnut.

He just lost a game in the round of 16 against Sevilla and decided to shit on the club, his players and even Fergie. All he cared about is bigging himself up. He's a self-serving prick and his insane fanboys who are also supposedly United fans should be embarrassed every time they defend him.

el3mel

If anything, that press conference is actually more relevant now than ever, considering that we're still absolute shit in Europe, probably got even worse.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He doesn't have to lie to be a cnut.

He just lost a game in the round of 16 against Sevilla and decided to shit on the club, his players and even Fergie. All he cared about is bigging himself up. He's a self-serving prick and his insane fanboys who are also supposedly United fans should be embarrassed every time they defend him.
Sevilla has won like 4 Europa League titles in the past few years. They have more football heritage than us and have been way more successful than us since Ferguson retired