g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly, we’re going to miss Mourinho when he’s gone, he just lives for pushing peoples buttons, and no one can really say anything because he wins trophies as long as there is collective buy in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Never liked him but I would like to see him as Portugal manager.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
My view is that the support he was given at United is not enough to challenge for the top honors in the modern era. I think that the only real blemish (result-wise) in the first two seasons is the CL exit to Sevilla and I absolutely do not think he was properly backed between seasons 2 and 3.

For Roma, he is delivering a CL spot + another excellent European run, which was in line with their preseason expectations.

Or you think that Pep/Klopp/Tuchel/whoever could win La Liga with Betis?
Napoli just won the Serie A. Napoli is even a lesser club than Roma

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Napoli just won the Serie A. Napoli is even a lesser club than Roma
Napoli have pretty much been there or there abouts in terms of getting close to winning the league for the past decade and are very well run certainly better than roma.

Irwin99

Think he's fecked the league up and they might finish 7th at this rate, which would be a poor finish. It seems Serie A has been insanely competitive in the race for top 4 this season.

Odds on him winning another Europa League though?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Think he's fecked the league up and they might finish 7th at this rate, which would be a poor finish. It seems Serie A has been insanely competitive in the race for top 4 this season.

Odds on him winning another Europa League though?
Yeah, looks unlikely they'll do it now.

They could have got a few more points lately if things had gone their way recently, but that's football. They've neither dominated or been dominated from what I've seen and sometimes results go for you, other times not when that's the case. That is of course why you need to dominate, to rule out as much of the variance/luck element as you can but they can't grumble too much.

Juventus getting that points deduction overturned put them right back in there. Inter fell of a cliff picking up 4 points from 21, but have now won 4 on the spin after tonight. Insanely competitive like you say.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Roma 11 better or worse than what Lazio put out, that's the yardstick I reckon.

People talk like they're minnows, they played a champions league SF as recently as May 2018.

Pintu

Is Roma 11 better or worse than what Lazio put out, that's the yardstick I reckon.

People talk like they're minnows, they played a champions league SF as recently as May 2018.
I consider Roma has an overall better squad than Lazio, but 2018 is irrelevant. I don’t think they have players left from that side.

Lazio has consistently finished above Roma since 2019/20… The 2 teams are very close. And Lazio sacrificing the Cups certainly gave them an edge in the league.

mshnsh

Our matches vs Roma in the ucl in the late noughties are amongst the most memorable. The 7-1 at old Trafford in 2007 is one of our best ucl performances if not our best. I miss those days; we really must make it back to the summit.

marktan

They need big Chris back as soon as possible. Their defence is crap without him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Does he survive 7th unless they win the Europa as well?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Roma squad on paper looks better than Lazio even Napoli and many of the top 6 but performance have not been at par

He has Tammy and Belotti, Dybala Matic Wijnaldum Rui Patricio, Pellegrini Mancini Cristante Spinazolla

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Would like to see it happen at PSG: the major sh*tshow to end his top clubs career for good. It will be entertaining for neutrals, though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mourinho at PSG has been the most obvious appointment since QSI took over and that it hasn't happened yet is somewhat mind blowing. It also would be absolutely hilarious if they won the CL with him at the helm.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mourinho at PSG will be blockbuster. Shame, Neymar and Messi won't be there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
:lol:

Can he destroy Mbappé though? That would be his biggest (negative) achievement ever.
I think he is "a special one"

I can imagine him before an important Champions League quarter final talking about "patrimoine du football"

ti vu

I don't there is issue with only one of Mbappe acting as prince of the club. He is very very good to build the team around and indulge him with special priviledges. Without multiple egos pulling the team in different directions, then it doesn't require prime Mourinho to survive for a couple seasons. TBF, Mbappe wouldn't stay there for the rest of his contract too, so they need to push for it in one or 2 seasons, which fit Mourinho's short termism.

Ancelotti may have been the best choice, but it doesn't seem like he would go back to PSG. Else, surprisingly PsG doesn't have much choice.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Roma squad on paper looks better than Lazio even Napoli and many of the top 6 but performance have not been at par

He has Tammy and Belotti, Dybala Matic Wijnaldum Rui Patricio, Pellegrini Mancini Cristante Spinazolla
To be fair though, as impressive as that list looks there is some context missing. Belotti looks completely washed, he was poor at Torino last year and he has not scored a single league goal for Roma. Wijnaldum broke his leg at the start of the season and missed over half of the campaign and is understandably still not back to full fitness. Rui is ok but getting a little bit past it. Spinazolla has not looked the same since his injury and is another who looks close to done at this level. Dybala was having an immense season but muscle injuries are really hampering him in the run in which is why he has not been starting these must win games. Roma probably don't concede the late equalizer to Milan with Smalling on the pitch and certainly would not have drawn with Monza if Smalling and Dybala were fit to start.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He has Roma on the periphery of the top 4 in Serie A, also in the next round of the EL.

Solid season so far.
Mourinho currently have the worst point per game average of any Roma coach the past 10 years. Fonesca, Ranieri, Francesco, Spalletti, Garcia and Andreazzoli all had higher than him.

But he looks more comfortable as an «outsider». So maybe he will avoid the third season collapse there? Would be so funny if ended up at Chelsea again.

jm99

If psg want him it's surely a no brainer, he might be enjoying his time at roma, but they'll probably need a fair bit of investment to even qualify for the champions league, let alone compete in, and who knows if they'll invest that, whereas going to psg, he'll be immediately back in the champions league, be all but assured of a few league titles and get a fairly sizeable transfer budget each season.