g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
His ability to buy a new team over 2 summers,
and instill such a siege mentality in a team full of stars that had no need to feel like underdogs in any way, was revolutionary.
I didn't think this was all that impressive at the time. But seeing the very same club spend a billion and go backwards, amongst other examples, casts it in a completely different light.

ScholesyTheWise

I still think Mourinho does a good job at Roma. He won the first European trophy in their history (conference) and reached another final (European league).

But there is this curse of the third season and the toxic environment that he creates (fights with the press, players, etc.).
It all boils down to what kind of football fan you are at your core.
The Caf seems to have many posters who say that trophies are what counts, and pretty much nothing else.
That's why Mourinho was a success at United, in their view. He's the most successful manager we had since Fergie, trophies-wise.

I can understand that and respect that but really really can't relate.
bar his first stint at Chelsea (he also left on toxic terms but his success was such a massive one that it's only natural for fans to adore him),
And of course Inter,
Mourinho seems to have left all of his managerial jobs in such a bad taste that many of his clubs' fans would have sold a kidney to see him being fired. I mostly remember the shit football. If we win a trophy having plated like crap for the most part, I will find it hard to be happy.

Also LVG with his FA Cup win. I couldn't bring myself to care, with how little entertainment/excitement his football elicited from me.

This is the point where many posters will call me spoiled because fans of 99% of football teams on earth get to see shit football pretty much every week, and don't get to see their side win something.

But what can you do, right? I can't apply this logic to my feelings.

If ETH continues to perform badly this season and gets the sack,,
there's every chance that I'll remember him more fondly than these 2 because, for about a solid 4 months, we looked like a really really good team.
Yeah the League Cup was a nice addition to the general high of those days but the main thing for me was that we played at such a level that we could have beaten almost any team in the world if we brought our A game.

This is what I miss the most, more than trophies.
The feeling that United is a damn good team, for long periods of time.
Indeed there's a correlation between being such a team and winning some trophies.
But it's not the story for me.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Honestly I can't see it personally, he's the sort that loves football and would want to still manage in a proper league.
Ye maybe you’re right. I’m just thinking if no other European club comes in for him he may be tempted to try that league and be persuaded by the money that comes with it.

Strelok

Honestly I can't see it personally, he's the sort that loves football and would want to still manage in a proper league.
Jose doesn't love football. He just loves himself and winning. That's actually not a bad thing problem is when he doesn't win he hate very living things around him and make the life of those unbearable.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's why Mourinho was a success at United, in their view. He's the most successful manager we had since Fergie, trophies-wise.
Yes, maybe.

But I would say that this idea is basically a ridiculous form of goal post shifting that is only seriously entertained by his fanboys.

The only remotely likely upside to hiring Mourinho was short term success. What sort of success? Obviously the sort he brought to Chelsea in his second stint. As in - winning the league. A major trophy. Not the Europa and the bloody league cup (while finishing 6th in the league).

T_Model101

Whatever happens, he's done a good job with Roma
I do wonder what it's like working with him day to day. I guess you see flashes of the old charismatic Jose, but the bulk of it is probably just him jaded.
Does he have any of the same team around him from the Chelsea days?

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I don't think he's really done that good of a job at Roma. It's not like any other Italian club is capable of spending extremely, and that he's the only one not having the opportunity. Everyone is penny-pinching, look at Inter.

Mourinho hasn't moved Roma closer to Champions League and football they play is awful.

Gandalf

I don't think he's really done that good of a job at Roma. It's not like any other Italian club is capable of spending extremely, and that he's the only one not having the opportunity. Everyone is penny-pinching, look at Inter.

Mourinho hasn't moved Roma closer to Champions League and football they play is awful.
They would be in the CL this season if it wasn't for Antony Taylor, I am surprised Jose has not mentioned this.
Of course he has, repeatedly.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I don't think it's insane at all.
How many times do you come across people who are creative early on in their careers, and later become stubborn and stick to what made them successful in the past, no matter the results this brings them in the present?
The funny thing is, he is wedded to a formation that he started using years after he began.
Porto was a diamond.
Chelsea was 4-3-3.
At Inter he started with a diamond, and moved to a 4-2-3-1 for the big games in the treble season. After that, he's been 4-2-3-1 all the way, as far as I can tell.
Real had the famous counter-attacking setup.
Here, even though players changed a lot, 4-2-3-1 remained. He moved to a back 5 for a game vs Chelsea I think, but that was it.
And I think he still does the 4-2-3-1 at Spurs and Roma.

Not just was the Chelsea 4-3-3 new to the league, it was new to him (to an extent), and he continued experimenting around in all his early successful jobs. He's been wedded to a system now, but it's not even like 4-2-3-1 is his first and only success. Even if he doesn't want to try something new, he could at least experiment with something he already knows (4-3-3, diamond).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I still think Mourinho does a good job at Roma. He won the first European trophy in their history (conference) and reached another final (European league).

But there is this curse of the third season and the toxic environment that he creates (fights with the press, players, etc.).
He did well in those KO competitions, but in the league, nothing at all:

2019-20: 5th, 70 pts, +26 GD
2020-21: 7th, 62 pts, +10 GD
Jose:
2021-22: 6th, 63 pts, +16 GD
2022-23: 6th, 63 pts, +12 GD

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Underwhelming in the league but he’s up against resurgent Milan clubs, Napoli and Juventus. His European record with them is very good though.

Gandalf

The funny thing is, he is wedded to a formation that he started using years after he began.
Porto was a diamond.
Chelsea was 4-3-3.
At Inter he started with a diamond, and moved to a 4-2-3-1 for the big games in the treble season. After that, he's been 4-2-3-1 all the way, as far as I can tell.
Here, even though players changed a lot, 4-2-3-1 remained. He moved to a back 5 for a game vs Chelsea I think, but that was it.

Not just was the Chelsea 4-3-3 new to the league, it was new to him (to an extent), and he continued experimenting around in all his early successful jobs. He's been wedded to a system now, but it's not even like 4-2-3-1 is his first and only success. Even if he doesn't want to try something new, he could at least experiment with something he already knows (4-3-3, diamond).
Roma typically have played a 3-4-2-1 formation under Jose.

didz

Porto was a diamond.
Chelsea was 4-3-3.

Every time I've seen his Roma side, they've played some variation of a 352. His 4231 at Spurs was also very different to the ones he played elsewhere, with both of the 2 regularly dropping into the backline, where he had previously allowed one a bit of freedom.

I suppose the point I'm making is that he is 'evolving' as a coach, just into a more negative version of himself!

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Jose would create a civil war (bigger than the current one) within the club. Look at post 2015 Jose. He hasn't improved a single club and almost always finds ways to criticize the club rather than accepting any responsibility. Roma have been smart enough to not give him an extension and his contract is up at the end of the season. They should start looking out for options.
Antonio Conte is available..

Lay

:rolleyes: He's such a toxic manager near the end.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Jose Mourinho has aimed a thinly-veiled jibe Manchester United after listing them as one of the underdog clubs he has won silverware with – insisting winning anything there is a 'miracle'.

'But there are other clubs because if I have been lucky enough to work with teams with large budgets, I have had the difficulty of working in teams where winning is a miracle.

'I won with Manchester United, I won a cup and a half with Roma, I wasn't able to win two cups in Rome but I won one and a half and I have another six months here. The one with Porto is a feat that opened the doors of the world to me.'

Taribo's Gap

:lol:

So 3 managers then performed miracles and he's one of them. Ergo, he's not done anything special.

He's a meme at this point.
He's actually exhibiting a bit of uncharacteristic modesty here. He didn't even mention the half cup he won with Tottenham.

Jose turned over a new leaf?

johannes_fd

However it went when he was in Man Utd. I still like him. I hope he has a brilliant season with Roma.

Lay

Sent off for making a crying gesture towards the Monza bench in injury time after the Roma winner :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Forgot he existed until seeing this thread. I have never heard anyone claim before that they won half a trophy.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I know it's a great unwritten rule in football not so sub off a player who came on, but sometimes I do question the logic of it.

1-0 down when he came on at half time. I don't know why he came on, injury or tactical.

2-0 down when he went off, and it's do or die time. Can't be arsed looking into what sort of tactical shift they made at the time, if any, as they also made another sub at the same time and I don't know the strengths and weaknesses of who came on, who came off or how the game was going other than the scoreline. Mourinho teams aren't exactly known to go for it either so I can't say they did or didn't at that point.

Whatever they did clearly had no impact as they lost 2-0 anyway. There is of course a lot to be said when it comes to a manager taking into account the fact they might go 2-0 down and plan for what if that happened too when making half time subs, trying to avoid this exact situation.

We have 5 subs allowed on nowadays so to a degree I think players should be more accepting that this may happen compared to when it was 3 or 4. If the number of subs allowed grew further I could see it happening often. It would help if the players were told it was a possibility at some point, even in pre-season so they don't look shocked if it does.

Fergie did this once in the League Cup, taking off a youngster called Michael Barnes who came on at half time in what was his only appearance for the club. It was a bit different as it was in extra time and he'd been on for 58 minutes at that point. A lot of people felt for the lad at the time.
https://www.11v11.com/matches/crewe-alexandra-v-manchester-united-25-october-2006-275402/

Anyway, Roma lost and Mourinho seemingly pissed off one of his players haha! :lol:

Last edited: