Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
From watching Sanches play for us, I’m surprised Mourinho is even playing him. I think if it wasn’t for that huge fee and the status that comes with it, he might struggle to get into the first team for clubs playing against relegation.
He did well with Nice and got a transfer to PSG

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is a legend of the game, and no nastier than a snarling Klopp. He was a great character and is great to listen to talking about football. He also won here and gave us Ibra, so it’s easy to forgive a few rants.

He built some fantastic sides, and as I said, his peaks are higher than anyone managing today. The only thing that’s weird is people not rating him. His CV is unbelievable.
I dont know how many managers Klopp had fought or insulted openly to check if he is no nastier than Mourinho

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I dont know how many managers Klopp had fought or insulted openly to check if he is no nastier than Mourinho
But you do know how many officials he has intimidated and abused though, surely? And how many journalists he has chastised for asking basic questions?

He has had his flashpoints, but Mourinho seems to be a decent guy away from the game. There are just as many classy stories about him out there.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He is a legend of the game, and no nastier than a snarling Klopp. He was a great character and is great to listen to talking about football. He also won here and gave us Ibra, so it’s easy to forgive a few rants.

He built some fantastic sides, and as I said, his peaks are higher than anyone managing today. The only thing that’s weird is people not rating him. His CV is unbelievable.
Klopp eye gouge anyone recently? Though he’s a legend of the game undoubtedly.

the_cliff

Napoli won the league Roma barely makes top 4. They are a club with similar profile to Roma and won the league. They also qualified from their CL group easily. So what is there to say about them
I'm not sure you read my post properly.

They are a similar profile in terms of legacy of club and name. Not in terms of spending and investing in team. I'll give a little breakdown for you since Mourinho joined:

21-22
Roma spend: 113 mil
Napoli spend: 23 mil
22-23
Roma spend: 9 mil
Napoli spend: 78 mil
23-24
Roma Spend: 2.5 mil
Napoli spend: 104 mil

The last 2 summer transfer windows in particular Mourinho has had to do with a bunch of loans and free transfers. Players like Matic, Aouar, Sanches, Ndicka etc. Napoli are by far a much better run club with owners willing to invest more. In fact Roma have a net balance of +130 million in transfer fees over the last 2 transfer windows this being with an overall terrible squad. Napoli have a better squad get more money for their players (Kim Min Jae, Koulibaly etc) and spend a lot more. The comparison isn't fair.

Again context should be considered. They're 7th but they are 3 points off 4th, they lost 2-0 to a good Bologna team but were missing their best players in Dybala, Lukaku, Smalling, Zalewski and Aouar, with Abraham missing the whole season with an acl.

Last edited:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
But you do know how many officials he has intimidated and abused though, surely? And how many journalists he has chastised for asking basic questions?

He has had his flashpoints, but Mourinho seems to be a decent guy away from the game. There are just as many classy stories about him out there.
Mourinho fights official as much as Klopp if not more, Last time he was waiting for an official in the parking lot.
What I haven't heard from Klopp is insulting players or other coaches which Mourinho does for fun, you can list over 10 coaches he has had a fight with
I can imagine if Mou were to be in Klopps position currently, Arteta and Pep will be getting an earful every week

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Mourinho fights official as much as Klopp if not more, Last time he was waiting for an official in the parking lot.
What I haven't heard from Klopp is insulting players or other coaches which Mourinho does for fun, you can list over 10 coaches he has had a fight with
I can imagine if Mou were to be in Klopps position currently, Arteta and Pep will be getting an earful every week
There were a few exaggerated flashpoints over the years, but that was the nature of the psychology of his coaching.

If he had managed Liverpool instead of Chelsea, the narrative would be very different about his character.

Pep’s career is dotted with controversy from his playing days up until now, but the narrative on him has already been decided.

I think history will be kinder to Mourinho and what he achieved and who he achieved it with.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Napoli won the league Roma barely makes top 4. They are a club with similar profile to Roma and won the league. They also qualified from their CL group easily. So what is there to say about them
Napoli went bankrupt and were founded anew by De Laurentis, who has been running them in a virtous way all along, meaning they never went into serious debt. Roma by contrast have a greater revenue(despite a smaller fanbase) but have always been run on huge debt to keep them competitive(and profitable for the ownerships). This eventually got them running afoul of FFP rules and put them under significant constraints

So no, their situations aren't comparable right now. Napoli also had a simply much better director in Giuntoli(now at juventus), who discovered Kvara, Kim, etc. plus the financial muscle(thanks to their model) to sign Osimhen. Roma have to make do with what they can find. They were lucky to get a shot at Dybala, only to pay the consequences - paying huge salary to an oft injured player, the reason he ended up at Roma instead of Inter or Milan or staying at Juventus - and now Lukaku - who they almost certainly won't be able to keep anyways. Mou deserves some criticism for his loyalty to what must be a truly great PA I guess - Rui Patricio a goalkeeper he is not - but in general he's had to work with some profoundly flawed, thin and unreliable squads through no fault of his own and done a very good job overall - back to back european finals, with a trophy, while the team was held back in the league by Dybala's injuries, the lack of quality of the other forwards, and the aformentioned great PA

This season he's got Lukaku, so a better challenge for top 4 should be expected. The reality is he's still working with the 5th or 6th best squad in the league though

always_hoping

Surely we aren’t comparing Roma with Real Madrid. Porto being the dominant team in Portugal also helps the percentage. Roma have 5 teams better or similar level to them in Serie A
Mourinho took on a Porto team that was in fifth place in the Liga (behind Sporting CP, Boavista, União de Leiria and Benfica) That's what he could do at his peak and at his a peak Jose would have Roma in the Champions league more than holding their own and in the top 3 challenging for the Serie A title. The normal one nowadays but still enjoys to grab the limelight with his actions and rantings.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mourinho took on a Porto team that was in fifth place in the Liga (behind Sporting CP, Boavista, União de Leiria and Benfica) That's what he could do at his peak and at his a peak Jose would have Roma in the Champions league more than holding their own and in the top 3 challenging for the Serie A title. The normal one nowadays but still enjoys to grab the limelight with his actions and rantings.
That's great - Porto finished 3rd the season before and the league is not the same standard as Serie A and has always with the odd exception been a 3 team league. Are you expecting 70% win rate with Roma when they're not a top 3 team in Italy?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
That's great - Porto finished 3rd the season before and the league is not the same standard as Serie A and has always with the odd exception been a 3 team league. Are you expecting 70% win rate with Roma when they're not a top 3 team in Italy?
Mourinho came in the winter transfer window of the 01/02 season, Porto was 5th at that time (behind Mourinho's Leiria). With Mourinho it climbed to 3rd place right at the end of that season.

always_hoping

Would be expecting a lot higher than 50% with Jose at his peak but we all know that he's well past his peak nowadays.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
In terms of the ability of the squad they have the 5th-7th best squad in the league and their league position is reflective of that.

Mourinho just has insane expectations because of his name and his success so he gets unfair criticism all the time.
Isn't he one of the best-paid managers in Serie A? If so, I think it's reasonable to expect more than "not adding anything to performance that isn't already suggested by squad quality."

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn't he one of the best-paid managers in Serie A? If so, I think it's reasonable to expect more than "not adding anything to performance that isn't already suggested by squad quality."
Eh, stadium is selling out every other week, that alone justifies his wages(and it's the reason he can come out with interviews like this). And again, 2 consecutive european finals

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's still very effective in knockout tournaments, should next become international management as he can then win something substantial again.

I think the point people are making though is his league performance has generally been very mediocre over last 7-8 years at the various clubs he's managed.

When he came in at Spurs they'd qualified for top 4 for four of the previous five seasons under Poch so that was the expectation. Half season he only just got them up to 6th and second year they had a fantastic start but were really tailing off in the league, think they Spurs were 7th when he was sacked.

Roma actually between 2013-18 finished no lower than 3rd in Serie A. I guess in those times neither Milan team were that good compared to know but Juve were incredibly formidable and Napoli also had fantastic teams so to finish best of the rest was pretty good going under likes of Rudi Garcia and Spalletti.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's still very effective in knockout tournaments, should next become international management as he can then win something substantial again.

I think the point people are making though is his league performance has generally been very mediocre over last 7-8 years at the various clubs he's managed.

When he came in at Spurs they'd qualified for top 4 for four of the previous five seasons under Poch so that was the expectation. Half season he only just got them up to 6th and second year they had a fantastic start but were really tailing off in the league, think they Spurs were 7th when he was sacked.

Roma actually between 2013-18 finished no lower than 3rd in Serie A. I guess in those times neither Milan team were that good compared to know but Juve were incredibly formidable and Napoli also had fantastic teams so to finish best of the rest was pretty good going under likes of Rudi Garcia and Spalletti.
They had a top 3 squad in the league and finished top 3

They have a top 6 squad now and are finishing top 6

Mou isn't doing miracles in the league but he's hardly underperforming

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They had a top 3 squad in the league and finished top 3

They have a top 6 squad now and are finishing top 6

Mou isn't doing miracles in the league but he's hardly underperforming
The FA are about 10-15 years behind the curve so I expect him to replace Southgate

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The FA are about 10-15 years behind the curve so I expect him to replace Southgate
Heh. Might be a great choice actually. He'd be the best international manager around right now, by a lot, and his coaching style should fit well with the international game

Idxomer

His problem in Seria A is that he isn't exactly separating himself from the likes of Lazio, Fiorentina, and Atalanta.

If a team like Bologna finishes ahead of him this season, it wouldn't be a good look for his stint at Roma unless he wins the EL.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Heh. Might be a great choice actually. He'd be the best international manager around right now, by a lot, and his coaching style should fit well with the international game
Nope, that would be Carlo Ancelotti imho

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rumour mill liking him to Brazilian national team.

I could see him winning a world cup but nobody actually liking it in Brazil.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Would be the best possible choice for Brazil.

Not like they set the world alight with their playstyle for the past 15 years

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I can't see it. Seems very left field for someone such as Jose. Seems very patriotic to Portugal. Unless he manages a Brazilian club first.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Richarlison seems like a Mou CF bastard type of player
Nope. Mou CFs are actually great players other than being tough bastards.

Richarlison is absolutely awful and only rated highly by some due to Brazilian tax.

tomaldinho1

Nope. Mou CFs are actually great players other than being tough bastards.

Richarlison is absolutely awful and only rated highly by some due to Brazilian tax.
I rate him, think he’s a good forward. Playing well this season (18 games, 7 goals, 3 assists), works hard off the ball, good dribbler and deceptively good in the air as a bonus. Couldn’t care less if he was Brazilian or from Bognor.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Another red card? How many this season?

Does he have a bet with someone to get the most red card in Europe? Player +coach

Needham

Just watched Lazio game. Roma were wank, totally insipid. Their petulant character at the end painfully reflected Mou's worst character aspects. He's currently toying with life in a great city.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I swear Lazio beat Roma all the time since Mourinho has been there