Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zen86

Fair play to Mourinho but it's early days yet, there's plenty of time for it all to come crashing down.

That said, I'd quite like him to prove his doubters wrong and shut up all those who've written him off as 'past it'. Doesn't change the fact he wasn't very good here, and if anything, him achieving success with Spurs would highlight how difficult an environment it is here.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Out of Spurs next 5 matches 4 are against top teams. They will define whether spurs are title contender.
Chelsea away will be difficult, we will beat Arsenal at home and and probably get beat at Liverpool I would be happy with 8 points from our next 5 games.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Everybody needs to just settle down with this. They have only played 2 of the sides from the top 8 last season and have won the grand total of 2 more wins than us with having played a game more.
To me, they are as much of an anomaly up there as Southampton and Leicester are until we see a bit more.
The disrespect :lol:

League finishes over the past five seasons - 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd. It's not like they've been floating around in mid table and have suddenly leapt up from nowhere.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea away will be difficult, we will beat Arsenal at home and and probably get beat at Liverpool I would be happy with 8 points from our next 5 games.
I don't know how the mood is your end but i actually think next weeks game takes the phrase six pointer to new heights, i think the psychological boost for a winner would be huge. If there's no goal (or it's 1-1) on the hour mark i think Lampard and Jose will both shit themselves and settle for a draw.

I'm praying Thiago Silva, Kante or Mendy don't get injured or worse contract Covid because i don't fancy our chances of coping with Kane and Son on their current form without them, especially Silva.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't know how the mood is your end but i actually think next weeks game takes the phrase six pointer to new heights, i think the psychological boost for a winner would be huge. If there's no goal (or it's 1-1) on the hour mark i think Lampard and Jose will both shit themselves and settle for a draw.

I'm praying Thiago Silva, Kante or Mendy don't get injured or worse contract Covid because i don't fancy our chances of coping with Kane and Son on their current form without them, especially Silva.
I'm never confident against Chelsea, EVER, for obvious reasons but as a fan base we are very happy with how things are going so far I agree it will be a huge boost for who ever wins.

Would you take a score draw right now? I would :lol:.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm never confident against Chelsea, EVER, for obvious reasons but as a fan base we are very happy with how things are going so far I agree it will be a huge boost for who ever wins.

Would you take a score draw right now? I would :lol:.
I'm a bit torn to be honest, had we beaten United, Liverpool or even Sevilla I'd probably have said yes (it certainly won't be the end of the world all things considered despite us being at home) but I feel we need to make a big game statement as despite our improvements over the last month or so we still have the fact our big game displays so far have been a bit meh (especially going forward) hanging over our heads.

So toss a coin basically :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm a bit torn to be honest, had we beaten United, Liverpool or even Sevilla I'd probably have said yes (it certainly won't be the end of the world all things considered despite us being at home) but I feel we need to make a big game statement as despite our improvements over the last month or so we still have the fact our big game displays so far have been a bit meh (especially going forward) hanging over our heads.

So toss a coin basically :lol:
Always guaranteed a good game anyway.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
2nd season Mourinho delivering again. People will bring up his 2nd season with us... but he came up against Peps City that got 100 points. We still got 81 points that year (and that likely would've been better had Ibra not been injured). We'll see if he can get them going for longer than 2 seasons, but fair play to him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The only thing more nauseating than Jose winning the title with Spurs is Glaston celebrating it the day after.

I don't want to live in a world where the aforementioned is even remotely a possibility. It's so bad and scary and very very bad.

We cannot allow this to happen for the sake of all mankind.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As per amazon documentary, Spurs expectation is top 4 finish. If Mou delivers that, that is mission accomplished. A cup win is just icing on the cake.

Mou also won't get the credit to play Kane as a false 9, and Eric Dier from DM to CB.

Foxbatt

I think Jose will beat both chelsea and Liverpool. He is going to park everything and let Kane and Son attack.
He looks in the mood.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
"Mourinho on Levy's plans ahead of the 2020 January transfer window

"I'm relaxed because I got this club exactly as I was expecting," he told Sky Sports. "I expect to be asked about Daniel Levy saying we don't plan to spend a lot, and people to ask if I'm upset.

"Will that upset me? No. I knew it, he told me! Everything was crystal clear, no secrets in any of the club's plans, and this makes me happy."

Levy is supposed to be very difficult, but he seems like a nice guy in amazon documentary. Mou and Levy work well together so far and it is good for spurs. It is better for EPL to have spurs and chelsea challenge the dominance of liverpool and city to avoid another 2 horse race this season.

cyberman

Your comparing us to Leicester and Southampton which is a terrible comparison.

We have got the Mourinho Factor
We have got the number 1 striker in the EPL
We have got a big enough squad to deal with the demands of the season with capable back ups in every position.
Everybody is Lecester and Southampton until Liverpool prove otherwise imo. Its far too early and its too strange of a season to be proping Spurs up like this.
With the way the fixtures are, if we win out next 2 and Spurs dont win all of their tough, up coming games then we go be going into the game v City with a shot at going top. That doesnt mean we are title contenders and that is a scenario that has a realistic chance of playing out.
Thats how strange it is

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As per amazon documentary, Spurs expectation is top 4 finish. If Mou delivers that, that is mission accomplished. A cup win is just icing on the cake.

Mou also won't get the credit to play Kane as a false 9, and Eric Dier from DM to CB.
But that's the thing i don't get, surely Levy hasn't appointed serial winner Mou, payed him a much better wage than any previous manager and backed him infinity times more than any previous manager to then be happy with him merely matching Arry/Pochettino's (top 4) and/or Ramos' (domestic cup) achievements? It would be a total waste of resources and both their time if they're not atleast aiming for a big one!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
But that's the thing i don't get, surely Levy hasn't appointed serial winner Mou, payed him a much better wage than any previous manager and backed him infinity times more than any previous manager to then be happy with him merely matching Arry/Pochettino's (top 4) and/or Ramos' (domestic cup) achievements? It would be a total waste of resources and both their time if they're not atleast aiming for a big one!
That's a question for Levy, but my guess is Rome isn't built in a day, and it is a long term project to estabish spurs as a top 4 club in EPL. so consistent top 4 finish is a priority at this stage.

Edit
The reason Poch lost his job is because he couldn't deliver top 4 last season. Spurs fans may chip in but I am not sure "levy backed him(Mou) infinity times" is the right statement to describe the transfer business in Spurs. From amazon documentary it was Levy and his team calling the shot on Steven Bergwijn, Danny Rose and Eriksen. I am not sure if Mou can take credit from this summer's business either for the likes of Reguilon, Doherty, Hojbjerg and Bale. Obviously I can imagine Mou have discussed the area in the team he likes to improve with Levy. Mou is just a first team head coach, not a manager like SAF or Wenger.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
A focus on what Spurs are "aiming for" is silly.

We are aiming to try and win every game. Where we end up as a result - whether top, top 4, or outside the top 4 - is where we end up. And the same goes for cup competitions.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
It's not hard to beat City. Sit back, let us run out of ideas, score your only shot on goal. Jose is finished.

Member 90887

This place is really kneejerk sometimes.

We have one game in hand (that we are very much supposed to win) and will potentially be 4 points behind Spurs after that. This is one of our worst start of the season. And people are acting like that. That is not saying that we will challenge, that is just saying that being top with 20 points out of 27 points is hardly title winning form.

Is he doing a good job ? yes, but nothing more. They had a pre season, when the other big teams did not. they got a few lucky breaks this year. Let's see how the table looks at the end of december.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
2nd season Mourinho delivering again. People will bring up his 2nd season with us... but he came up against Peps City that got 100 points. We still got 81 points that year (and that likely would've been better had Ibra not been injured). We'll see if he can get them going for longer than 2 seasons, but fair play to him.
This is getting tiresome, 81 points isn`t title-winning form most other seasons either.
It could have been worse than 81 points too btw, DDG was in the form of his life.

He played as a CB under Poch too

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He played as a CB under Poch too
“It’s obviously very nice [of Mourinho] and that’s the position [center back] I see myself playing. That’s where I see my future.
”I was happy to be able to play [on Sunday], obviously very nice of the manager speaking that way about me. Obviously the most important thing is the team to win games and we haven’t done that.”
”I have always been very politically correct on the subject because of many different reasons but I’ve come to a… It’s been something that isn’t new for me. The old manager knew where I stood for a long time about position and centre-back is where I see my future and I think where I can be the best I can be.
”With Pochettino, I started to play there this season, in the two games before he left, and I’m happy I got the chance to play there under Mourinho.

Dier was signed by Pochettino as a young central defender, and his first season with Spurs he split his time between there and right back. It wasn’t until the preseason before the 2015-16 season that Pochettino and Spurs started experimenting with playing him farther up the pitch in midfield, a position in which he was comfortable dropping deep into the back line to defend as needed. ”
The narrative is Mou is "past it" and Man United was right to sack him. I do agree it is the right decision to sack him, i am not sure he is already "past it". I am quite enjoy it even I am an Arsenal fan. I don't agree every team should play the same way. I like to see how Mou can play counter attacking football to the extreme.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
It would be good for the PL for a new winner like Spurs to win the league. It makes the league the most competitive and unpredictable in Europe. Hopefully Spain will get a new winner as well.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Will be a serious achievement for the Spurs team and Mourinho if they did challenge for the title.
They were 40-1 outsiders for a reason, their team isnt close to Liverpools or Citys for starters.
They were big outsiders for top 4 before the season so that would be a result for them really.
People go to overboard with recency but to be fair they were impressively organised and seem to have bought into the Mourinho mentality.
Will be interesting to see them vs Chelsea.
Win there and who knows it might be on with this season being quite open.

432JuanMata

The 3rd season was toxic and I couldn’t wait to see the back of him but the hate here is unreal.
Also bringing up his 2nd season at Spurs if he gets them top 4 and a trophy and then has a meltdown next season as usual Spurs will still benefit from this he got them a trophy and top 4.

I didn’t like him here but I have a honest question for our fans. He tried to get rid of Martial and froze out Pogba mostly calling him a virus at this moment of time he looks right, Martial is still so inconsistent at 25 especially as our main number 9 and Pogba has been frozen/benched anyway so he might of been right

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
The 3rd season was toxic and I couldn’t wait to see the back of him but the hate here is unreal.
Also bringing up his 2nd season at Spurs if he gets them top 4 and a trophy and then has a meltdown next season as usual Spurs will still benefit from this he got them a trophy and top 4.

I didn’t like him here but I have a honest question for our fans. He tried to get rid of Martial and froze out Pogba mostly calling him a virus at this moment of time he looks right, Martial is still so inconsistent at 25 especially as our main number 9 and Pogba has been frozen/benched anyway so he might of been right
Sacrificing Mourinho to keep Pogba was a dumb decision by the club. By any standards Mourinho had done reasonably well at United. The club failed to analyse and properly address the situation in the dressing room particularly Pogba's toxic influence. Unfortunately, for some unknown reasons the fan base also wanted Mourinho gone and the club bosses danced to their tune.

432JuanMata

Sacrificing Mourinho to keep Pogba was a dumb decision by the club. By any standards Mourinho had done reasonably well at United. The club failed to analyse and properly address the situation in the dressing room particularly Pogba's toxic influence. Unfortunately, for some unknown reasons the fan base also wanted Mourinho gone and the club bosses danced to their tune.
Yeah to be fair I don’t want to come over as a mourinho lover I actually was calling for his head for a while before he got sacked but and it’s a big but. He finished with 81 points in 2nd City got over 100 points and to be fair the season was over from December but that is when the board should of backed him or sacked him that summer. Yes he spent loads of money but that summer when we should of spend 200m+ to try close the gap he got feck all.

His reaction to it was a disgrace though and that 3rd season was a horrific one so I started to dislike him and felt he should just get on with the job but he kept throwing his toys out of the gram every few days it was a disgrace to watch and horrific. He can be such a child but that was the summer to invest IMO, don’t know if it would of done us any good in the long run though.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Umm we won 2 - 0, you post is null and void :lol: .
From your only two shots on target. The first bit was general. Your entire eleven's average position at half time was in your own half. It's not hard to play anti-football and beat City these days.

bondsname

Have to say, I'm geniunely surprised he's doing well. I was convinced he was passed it and Spurs were making a mistake, but so far he's done good.

It will be interesting to see how he handles himself in the third season, if there will be an infamous meltdown season or if he is capable of improving the team even further. Don't think Spurs will win the league though, but they're a big top 4 threat atleast.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
From your only two shots on target. The first bit was general. Your entire eleven's average position at half time was in your own half. It's not hard to play anti-football and beat City these days.
I loved the game, anti-football? feck off, your team of millions had no open door, frustrated and wastful... even with your breaches of FFP you couldn't score a goal against "poor" Tottenham. Anti-football depends a lot on the glasses you wear, in my opinion Pep was simply out footballed. In fact Peps excuse was "Spurs were defence"... grow up.