Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Did Jose say any disrespectful things about Spurs in the past? He must have done surely.

This will be fun to watch, I think for a short period of times Spurs will be absolutely flying under him, and this place will be messy and even more unbearable than it already is.
That he would never join them because he respects the Chelsea fans so much.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I would add that someone better should be in place, a coach that can take the club forward.
In LVGs case, Jose was clearly an upgrade. Not convinced this time round
Poch took the club forward yet won nothing, I just hope Levy has picked a chequebook manager as he is willing to spend some.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Will be interesting to see his first eleven on Saturday and how they set up.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Are you guys worried about your acdemy players like Skipp, walker-peters etc? @balaks @InLevyITrust
That's the big thing for me. A lot of the aging stars want out, and the budget isn't there to replace them all, so you'd need a couple of kids to step up and support the new signings, but Mourinho won't like that at all.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be honest that's more disrespectful to Chelsea than us.
That's true. The game against them should be good. Both that and the game against us will show if our managers are up to the task against a very experienced manager. Frank has a lot of time on his side, Ole is more experienced and will need to show he has the tactical nous. Should be fun all round.

Amerifan

Poch took the club forward yet won nothing, I just hope Levy has picked a chequebook manager as he is willing to spend some.
Levy can’t spend enough under FFP to buy Jose the PL and CL. Jose’s ego won’t let him settle for anything less. He’s not going to come in behind Pep every year. No way. Great payday coming for Jose but I’m unclear what Spurs get out of this deal.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Questions should be asked as to why Poch wasn’t backed financially but Jose has to
That's pretty obvious no? We had just built a new training ground and then a new stadium? Poch was brought in knowing that there would be very little funds and he would have to rely on youth. Its just timing, Levy invested in the summer, and by all accounts was going to invest further but couldn't get Bruno over the line.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's pretty obvious no? We had just built a new training ground and then a new stadium? Poch was brought in knowing that there would be very little funds and he would have to rely on youth. Its just timing, Levy invested in the summer, and by all accounts was going to invest further but couldn't get Bruno over the line.
Why not? He wasn’t so expensive given the market

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Levy can’t spend enough under FFP to buy Jose the PL and CL. Jose’s ego won’t let him settle for anything less. He’s not going to come in behind Pep every year. No way. Great payday coming for Jose but I’m unclear what Spurs get out of this deal.
I don't think we need to worry about FFP as its based over a 5 year spend. I get you point but do you not think that considering we have been talking to Jose since October all this might have been discussed? It would be very odd to hire a manager without a joint up plan.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The only thing predictable is Mourinho will make a lot of money. Like many, I'm shocked Spurs would go down this road. I think he'll last 2 years. He'll be fired in November or December in 2021. His stay here showed so many times that he is half the manager he used to be.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well I for one am delighted that Jose Mourinho has a new job.
Whatever anyone says, he is a terrifically successful manager and I don't buy the view that he is a has been.
I do accept though that this is probably his last opportunity to show that he can coach at the top level and look forward to seeing him achieving success with Tottenham.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Interesting that Rui Faria isn't his assistant anymore either.

Guess they really did have a falling out.
Why would you assume that? There is nothing to substantiate that. He wanted to try his hand at managing.

I have no idea, I don't quite buy into this Jose doesn't use youth I think if he thinks a player can do a job he will use him, didn't he love McToman? I don't think Walker-Peters is going to make it, but I think Skipp has the ability and workrate for Jose. I'm not gonna lie here I have no idea how this will go, I'm not surprised Poch has gone but I am very surprised we went for Jose.
He did like McTominay but he only used him initally as we had alot of injuries. Winks is player i dont see jose using especially in midfield defo not his type.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why would you assume that? There is nothing to substantiate that. He wanted to try his hand at managing.
I didn’t realise he was managing, I assumed he’d get a job in Europe but seems he settled for money in the desert.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's bonkers.

280k a week for a manager that has failed majorly in his last 2 jobs. Football management really is the golden egg once you've had some success in the past isn't it.
Well, he won the title for CFC.
Then he joined us and won 2 trophies in his first year. In his 2nd year, he finished 2nd (with a squad which was far from great). To put this into context, this season, we are hovering mid-table and some fans are accepting that it may be several years until we reach the dizzy heights of 2nd place.
It bemuses me that fans cannot look at the facts objectively.

The problem at Spurs is that he won't have a big budget to spend and that just isn't very Mourinho like. Unless of course he sells Kane, then uses that money to rebuild the squad to his liking. That could work.

Giggsy9099

Half of me thinks Spurs has gone bonkers for hiring Jose but the other half of me feels this will be bad news for us.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I have no clue how this is going to work but this will be interesting to see!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He did like McTominay but he only used him initally as we had alot of injuries. Winks is player i dont see jose using especially in midfield defo not his type.
Time will tell, I like Winks so I’d be sorry to see him lose his place. But if he comes in and we improve and start winning it will be hard to argue with how he gets on.

RedCurry

It may turn out good for Jose. He'll have one of the best strikers in the world at his disposal and we've seen it before what Jose can do if he has a constant source of goals. He can focus on organization of the team and just let Kane do his thing.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well, he won the title for CFC.
Then he joined us and won 2 trophies in his first year. In his 2nd year, he finished 2nd (with a squad which was far from great). To put this into context, this season, we are hovering mid-table and some fans are accepting that it may be several years until we reach the dizzy heights of 2nd place.
It bemuses me that fans cannot look at the facts objectively.

The problem at Spurs is that he won't have a big budget to spend and that just isn't very Mourinho like. Unless of course he sells Kane, then uses that money to rebuild the squad to his liking. That could work.
Nah I think Jose will set the team up to feed Kane.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's bonkers.

280k a week for a manager that has failed majorly in his last 2 jobs. Football management really is the golden egg once you've had some success in the past isn't it.

I'll be amazed if Kane isn't looking at that like !?!? where's my 300k a week
I understand why people argue he failed here, but while he left the club in acrimonious circumstances he did win the league with Chelsea? Not sure I would class that period a failure.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It may turn out good for Jose. He'll have one of the best strikers in the world at his disposal and we've seen it before what Jose can do if he has a constant source of goals. He can focus on organization of the team and just let Kane do his thing.
I think that will be his plan.

Suedesi

I'm getting a distinct feeling of Inter deja-vu with his appointment, I think he will do very well.

He won't require much backing, and by selling Kane to us for stupid money he will be able to fix some of the personnel issues in defense.

Spurs will love him as long as he wins a trophy - which he will - and he will make Tottenham the biggest shithouse club in the league.

DFreshKing

I think this is a very good fit for Spurs and JM. He always wins trophies and Spurs really need one from this 'golden' period. He also has the player types he likes in important positions. He has a World class peak striker, Solid midfield, a creative 10, genuine ability out wide. I completely get why he has jumped at the chance. I hope they burn out quickly as the norm but I would be amazed if he did not succeed, back in London too.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm getting a distinct feeling of Inter deja-vu with his appointment, I think he will do very well.

He won't require much backing, and by selling Kane to us for stupid money he will be able to fix some of the personnel issues in defense.

Spurs will love him as long as he wins a trophy - which he will - and he will make Tottenham the biggest shithouse club in the league.
That was my initial feeling as well.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
If I didn't know any better, after reading some of these comments, I'd think he hasn't won a single thing in his career.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Can anyone remember some of the disrespectful things Jose said about United while he was managing us?

I'm sure he belittled us at times.