Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dinghy

Time will tell.

My opinion though, is that Mourinho to Spurs will be a massive wake up call for many at Utd (and fans).
It really doesn't matter how he does at Spurs as he was the wrong manager for United. His shit signings put us back a year or even more in the rebuilding of the squad. Not to mention he was a toxic prick.

spiriticon

Moans about not getting enough backing.

Chooses a club where the chairman is famous for being tight.

:houllier::houllier:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
My opinion though, is that Mourinho to Spurs will be a massive wake up call for many at Utd (and fans).
In what sense?

That he was held back by the structure at United? I mean, that would surely be the lesson - yeah? I'm not opposed to that idea in a general sense, be it said.

But for me Mourinho didn't evolve at all from what could be called a foregone conclusion style meltdown at Chelsea to what he did at United. There was no willingness to change anything - and he predictably left after precisely a meltdown of the sort his critics predicted. The difference between his second Chelsea stint and his United one is that the former yielded a league title - but that was under different conditions than what he faced at United. The competition wasn't as stiff, in short. His tried and tested methods weren't nearly enough to keep up with a fully powered City (or Liverpool in his last season) given the circumstances.

He'll have to do extremely well at Spurs for anyone beyond his fan club to conclude that sacking him was wrong - to put it like that.

PeteManic

Moans about not getting enough backing.

Chooses a club where the chairman is famous for being tight.

:houllier::houllier:
It's the managerial merry-go-round. The Premier League™ is the league where all the oil money is. They are all afraid to go anywhere else. Why did Rafa stay in Newcastle for so long? All very boring to me.

Dinghy

Watch him take them to top 4 and finish above us now. This place deserves that.
Why, because he wasn't "loved" unconditionally on here for his terrible signings and the state he left the team in?

Amerifan

I don't think we need to worry about FFP as its based over a 5 year spend. I get you point but do you not think that considering we have been talking to Jose since October all this might have been discussed? It would be very odd to hire a manager without a joint up plan.
Every team who hired Jose had an agreed upon plan. The problem comes when results aren’t were Jose’s ego demands, players fall out and can’t be immediately shifted, and the backing isn’t there to buy the title.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Every team who hired Jose had an agreed upon plan. The problem comes when results aren’t were Jose’s ego demands, players fall out and can’t be immediately shifted, and the backing isn’t there to buy the title.
Time will tell, the thing is he isn't at a club where everyone knows we don't have the kinda money he is used too so stropping in a press conference would do much.

Robbie Boy

I’m delighted with this. Jose, for me, has always been far more entertaining when he’s been manager elsewhere. I’m sure the oppo fans found him most amusing during his tenure with us.

I actually have a feeling he’ll do well there. There’s a good spine of a team already in place and with some additions, he might make them a good outfit. It’s a shame it didn’t work out for him with us; I wanted the old charismatic Jose, but unfortunately we got the downtrodden ‘everyone is against me’ version. If Spurs can rekindle his flame, they could be in for some success.

Either way, it’s going to be fun. This place will be amusing too.

Zen86

Mourinho will lift Spurs for a bit, the fanboys will go wild, caf doom and gloom will hit a peak, then it’ll all come crashing down again. Like always.

ICHM

Spuds will be very sorry, he'll buy shit like Matic and have spats with their top players, happened before and will happen now. I give it 6 months until the big sulk starts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
According to some Spurs fans at work, they don't care if it all goes tits up after 2 and a bit years, as long as they win a trophy in the intervening period.
Interesting how few Spurs fans have changed their tune, when Poch was at his best Spurs fans said "they don't give shit about trophies, its top 4 that's all matters". Now that they have jose, they are desperate for any trophy.

Lynty

They've got a squad that Jose would like and could get the best out off.

I imagine we'll see an even more dangerous Son now.

But it's going to end in tears. The countdown has begun - 600days I say

caid

Tbh i dont think were going to get much amusement out of Spurs the rest of the season. He'll get them motivated and stands a better chance of winning a cup or something than they ever did under Pochettino. It'll be 12 - 18 months before shit hits the fan and we can laugh at them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Interesting how few Spurs fans have changed their tune, when Poch was at his best Spurs fans said "they don't give shit about trophies, its top 4 that's all matters". Now that they have jose, they are desperate for any trophy.
Who said that, I don't know ANY spurs fans that said they didn't want a trophy? I've seen a lot that say top 4 is a priority and so it is, but any Spurs fans I know are desperate for it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only way you can justify Mourinho's tenure is if you win the league or CL with him. He's a manager for winning now, so if you're not doing that......

There's not a snowball in hells chance he's winning the league at Spurs, so whether his tenure is seen as success or failure will literally boil down to whether he can somehow find a way to win big ears.

Deery

Dreary
How far wrong could it go all he has to do is buy a couple of decent players and they are good to go, plus they have Harry Kane.

Don’t think he will get a contract extension but right now it seems a good move.
Spurs really want the trophy for their shiny new stadium.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The only way you can justify Mourinho's tenure is if you win the league or CL with him. He's a manager for winning now, so if you're not doing that......

There's not a snowball in hells chance he's winning the league at Spurs, so whether his tenure is seen as success or failure will literally boil down to whether he can somehow find a way to win big ears.
Id take the FA Cup to be fair :lol:.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who said that, I don't know ANY spurs fans that said they didn't want a trophy? I've seen a lot that say top 4 is a priority and so it is, but any Spurs fans I know are desperate for it.
No one said they don't want a trophy, they said they don't give a shit about domestic trophy, or even Europa league. I remember some Spurs fan argued reaching round of 16 in CL is better than winning Europa league.

Drifter

American
Didn't do it at Chelsea (second visit) failed at United . Not to fussed about this.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No one said they don't want a trophy, they said they don't give a shit about domestic trophy, or even Europa league. I remember some Spurs fan argued reaching round of 16 in CL is better than winning Europa league.
Well rightly so they are idiots if said, its what pissed me off about Poch, even when we got to the semis of the FA Cup he didn't seem that bothered by it even when the league top 4 was secured.

Kostov

:lol:

Jose > ManUtd
Posters on here are hardly Manchester United.

Why? What has Redcafe done?
Some posters on here underrate him and brand him as past it. Directed all blame on him, 1 year since we are in no better position and by all accounts managed by an inferior manager than him. I don’t wish him success, but I fear he will finish above us, and rub salt on it, because he is a prick after all.

Kostov

Why, because he wasn't "loved" unconditionally on here for his terrible signings and the state he left the team in?
Better servants to Manchester United weren’t loved on here than Jose, more to do with how many on here are underrating him and branding him past it, he will prove many people wrong regarding that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Posters on here are hardly Manchester United.

Some posters on here underrate him and brand him as past it. Directed all blame on him, 1 year since we are in no better position and by all accounts managed by an inferior manager than him. I don’t wish him success, but I fear he will finish above us, and rub salt on it, because he is a prick after all.
:lol:

Yup, some posters on here just think he's a prick.

On a serious note, we can only blame ourselves if Jose will jump immediately above us with parked bus and his Son driving it.

Kostov

And every team ended up with a significant title or more, except Manchester United who only won the Europa. That is why clubs still take Jose and risk what he brings as luggage. If spurs end up with similar outcome they would have done good. Considering that Levy is running Spurs much better than Woodward is running Manchester United, it’s an interesting situation, which could potentially expose what an absolutely shambolic situation we are in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think Jose will do with Spurs. He has base of good players at hand and he has shown previously (Porto comes to my mind) that he can get best out of this lot. January transfer window going to be interesting if he wants new players and Levy says NO.
Anyways the clash at Old trafford in few weeks is going to be epic. Will he celebrate like Adebayor if Spurs manage a last minute win :D
He's spoken very respectfully of United since he was sacked, so I'd doubt it. Doesn't appear to be any bad blood there.

Unless the fans turn on him on the day.